• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Damn the lag is starting to get noticeable. Got kicked out twice already and have input lag, which hasn't happened before :(

JonCha

I'm using a Warhorn with a one-handed sword currently. I'm not sure what to think of the bird-swarming ability and the triple-buff skill on 4 and 5 respectively.

desverger

Did anyone try to change their email address yet? If so, do I need to confirm my old one for that?

I just tried updating mine - sure, you can change it, but when I tried to verify it, the page says the link is broken or expired :)

Oh arenanet!

Can still login with my updated address though.

Squall516

Hello everyone, just got GW2 and dl it. I'm in the US and was wondering if anyone could recommend a good sever for the America's or if any gafers were on one?

T.O.P

Banned
Level 20 reached and i still feel so fuckin underpowered (elementalist)
Donnow if i'll change at this point :x

Any tips for takin the best out of my class?

Smiley90

Question: does the colour of the name of the mob indicate how long they've been in the world (thus they give more exp if they're yellow e.g.?)

Ferrio

Banned
So did the flame temple today. Was an open ended dungeon, with 3 main puzzles. You needed help from others to complete it, kinda impossible on your own. At the end there was a group boss, in a total underwater fight. After he died he dropped like 10-12 chests each with 3-4 rare+ lvl24-26 items.

Question: does the colour of the name of the mob indicate how long they've been in the world (thus they give more exp if they're yellow e.g.?)

Yellow means not hostile, and wont attack you unless you attack it first. Red means hostile and will attack when in range. I'm fairly sure this is accurate. Grey is definitely critters, who wont attack back and will die very quickly and easily

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!

Red = hostile (will AOS - attack on sight)

Yellow = neutral (wont attack unless poked with a stick)

Green = cant attack / friendly

Rpgmonkey

Level 20 reached and i still feel so fuckin underpowered (elementalist)
Donnow if i'll change at this point :x

Any tips for takin the best out of my class?

For something that needs extra power I like to switch around and take advantage of conditions. Starting with Earth to get bleeding on, then switching to Fire to burn them. After that it's just rotating cycling through those effects and throwing in some other attacks, usually burns through Health fast unless it's a Veteran or Champion-tier enemy. For groups I like to use Air and Fire. With a staff you get the Chain Lightning skill, which will hit multiple enemies, and since it's the basic skill it's easy to use repeatedly. Fire has various AoE attacks that are useful in those situations. Then there's the Earth skill I mentioned earlier that I use for bleeding, which has an AoE, making it good for starting out a fight with a group.

Don't really use Water much in terms of offense, mostly just to "tank" or get a little healing power.

This is all with a staff, wasn't fond of the damage output and range of Scepter(+Focus) and the play-style of daggers isn't really my thing.

Ordered this via newegg during one of those sales, and I opted for the free 3-day shipping. Got an email and a tracking number and it says I should get it tomorrow(release day) and it's only a few miles away already.

Good news for any other newegg buyers :).
Mine's coming on the 30th, supposedly...

Smiley90

Red = hostile (will AOS - attack on sight)

Yellow = neutral (wont attack unless poked with a stick)

Green = cant attack / friendly

ah right -facepalm-, i forgot. is there a way to tell which enemies have been in the world for longer and thus give more exp?

Parakeetman

ah right -facepalm-, i forgot. is there a way to tell which enemies have been in the world for longer and thus give more exp?

Thats a good question. I tried doing a search but no info on it. Its more just trying to find locations where not a lot of players are at I suppose. Shouldnt worry about it too much though since grinding out monsters is a slow way to earn exp. If you want a slight bonus go get food from a vendor or make bread yourself. :D

Useful info for crafting that Ive been using also.
http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1185538-The-Big-Crafting-thread-of-Guild-wars-2

T.O.P

Banned
For something that needs extra power I like to switch around and take advantage of conditions. Starting with Earth to get bleeding on, then switching to Fire to burn them. After that it's just rotating cycling through those effects and throwing in some other attacks, usually burns through Health fast unless it's a Veteran or Champion-tier enemy. For groups I like to use Air and Fire. With a staff you get the Chain Lightning skill, which will hit multiple enemies, and since it's the basic skill it's easy to use repeatedly. Fire has various AoE attacks that are useful in those situations. Then there's the Earth skill I mentioned earlier that I use for bleeding, which has an AoE, making it good for starting out a fight with a group.

Don't really use Water much in terms of offense, mostly just to "tank" or get a little healing power.

This is all with a staff, wasn't fond of the damage output and range of Scepter(+Focus) and the play-style of daggers isn't really my thing.

Yeah pretty much my style of play...i'll just stick with it and let's see where it goes

Daggers? still haven't found any of those...didn't even know mages had them lol

XEROWUN

Neo Member
Thats a good question. I tried doing a search but no info on it. Its more just trying to find locations where not a lot of players are at I suppose. Shouldnt worry about it too much though since grinding out monsters is a slow way to earn exp. If you want a slight bonus go get food from a vendor or make bread yourself. :D

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1185538-The-Big-Crafting-thread-of-Guild-wars-2

is that how bonus xp works? if not what determines bonus xp?

Acidote

I finally got to play and even managed to grab the name I wanted. It's strange it wasn't taken as it is a real name.

Parakeetman

is that how bonus xp works? if not what determines bonus xp?

From what Ive read / seen here basically yeah longer monsters exist in the world the higher their "exploration bonus" EXP is.
Which basically means dont grind the same areas over and over.

---

On a separate issue I wish that they had a "relinquish now" button for names. Since its a bit shit trying to some how organize between you and another friend who you held a name for to have him make the character after the 24h period is up. With a button like that could just let em know in real time "releasing now" and boom issue solved.

Smiley90

Wowie, AMD performance is bad - under 30FPS no matter what settings I have the game one.

Not everywhere. It's worse in the big cities (I've really noticed it in Lion's Arch, probably due to release date), but in other places like Snowden Drifts where NOONE EVER IS, it's perfect. I'm lonely. Someone please come join me there. :( I've run past like 10 people in the last hour.

spk

This is the transparency problem I'm having. I didn't notice it until today so it's one of 3 things: the recent patch, new nvidia drivers, or NV inspector/AO. It happens with low camera angles
NEBZM.jpg

Parakeetman

Not everywhere. It's worse in the big cities (I've really noticed it in Lion's Arch, probably due to release date), but in other places like Snowden Drifts where NOONE EVER IS, it's perfect. I'm lonely. Someone please come join me there. :( I've run past like 10 people in the last hour.

Lions Arch is MASSIVE. Ive been working on trying to get 100% there. The Charr town is driving me crazy since Im missing 1 or 2 POIs. D: Damned town is too vertical in some locations making it a bitch and a half to figure out where the bloody hell some of those POIs are even if it does show U / D arrows which "try" to help with where said point is in relation to ones elevation.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
That's because Jeremy Soule made both of their soundtracks.

The guy is a great composer. I totally get the connection to Oblivion, though. Some of the songs in the human early areas sound straight out of Oblivion. The connection is even stronger than Oblivion -> Skyrim, in my opinion.

Either way, I love the music.

I find that it also works well to kill passive mobs because nobody ever bothers to kill those, so they tend to stay around a while.

Is there anybody who's working on understanding the attributes in this game from a mathematical standpoint? I find myself wondering how Power and Toughness in particular work. I seem to have a buttload of precision on my warrior as I have about 70% critical chance, which seems incredibly high for an MMO. Most of it comes from running passive signets with the trait that gives you +40 precision for each unused signet you have equipped. Still, I find myself wondering what a lot of things actually do in this game.

inky

This is the transparency problem I'm having. I didn't notice it until today so it's one of 3 things: the recent patch, new nvidia drivers, or NV inspector/AO. It happens with low camera angles
http://i.imgur.com/NEBZM.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

It's AO for sure. I had the same thing until I turned it off.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I'm beginning to think that most Sylvari are naturally homosexuals. Interesting. I haven't met a single heterosexual Sylvari. None.

Parakeetman

So is using a controller viable with this game?

Personally Id say no, esp when you need to do shit real fast in a group type of situation. Plus just the sheer amount of keys you use in general.

Though Ive seen guys in this thread who have been doing it.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
So is using a controller viable with this game?

I imagine it's not. I couldn't imagine playing my Elementalist with a controller.

The combat is very fast paced, but it's also targeting-based, so you really want a mouse and quick access to hotkeys.

Valnen

Personally Id say no, esp when you need to do shit real fast in a group type of situation. Plus just the sheer amount of keys you use in general.

Though Ive seen guys in this thread who have been doing it.

You use less keys in this game than the average MMO, honestly. I have everything you would ever need in combat bound to my numpad.

There's a console version of this game coming, and people have fun with their custom controller configs, so...

Squall516

Anybody have recommendations of classes? I have been busy with school/work and family stuff so i haven't stayed updated on everything. I usually like playing assassin/ dual wield melee type classes but not sure how the thief plays in this. So any help would be much appreciated :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom