• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Definitely. I've been rolling solo most of the time save for a few instances with some randoms. People tend to naturally help each other with events and quests anyways.

Actually, this is something I have never experienced in any MMO before. People willing to help each other out and band together naturally. No rushing inside just to tag a mob, or ninja-ing resource nodes. It's so refreshing to see people run back and revive eachother, helping out with fights and encounters just because it benefits both parties.

I hung out with a random mesmer for some time today, we had each other's back for around 6 or 7 dynamic events. We barely spoke a word or joined a party but we were co-operating like clockwork. And in my short time with GW2 so far, I had plenty of encounters just like that.

Varna

Is there a way to change the name of a character?

Not sure if this will ever be added. Face and sex change, sure. But I don't think GW1 ever got a name change microtransaction.

Actually, this is something I have never experienced in any MMO before. People willing to help each other out and band together naturally. No rushing inside just to tag a mob, or ninja-ing resource nodes. It's so refreshing to see people run back and revive eachother, helping out with fights and encounters just because it benefits both parties.

I hung out with a random mesmer for some time today, we had each other's back for around 6 or 7 dynamic events. We barely spoke a word or joined a party but we were co-operating like clockwork. And in my short time with GW2 so far, I had plenty of encounters just like that.

It's not too surprising. It's a public quest, you helping someone is really you just helping yourself.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Just got into the Stormbluff Isle Borderlands! Was about a 20 minute wait.

At ~9:00PM I'm doing a guided newbie tour of WvW. If interested, you may want to queue up now!

The M.O.B

I feel like StormBluff has become overcrowded due to everyone seeing how well we were doing in WvWvW and decided to take advantage of the free server transfer and come to Stormbluff to be on the "winning" side. It really feels like we are completely stacked atm, and the queue's have just gotten longer and longer.

In closing, i'm staying on the winning Team :)

Ferrio

Banned
I feel like StormBluff has become overcrowded due to everyone seeing how well we were doing in WvWvW and decided to take advantage of the free server transfer and come to Stormbluff to be on the "winning" side. It really feels like we are completely stacked atm, and the queue's have just gotten longer and longer.

In closing, i'm staying on the winning Team :)

Well servers are still in flux, and they're matching system isn't in full swing yet. I expect things will change. I'm sure their more worried about systems being completely hosed than server imblances right now.

ACE 1991

While Guild Wars 2 is a better game than World of Warcraft, WoW felt more like a cohesive world than Guild Wars 2 does. The way point system and loading screen between zones kills the sense of place a bit.

Scum

That vista on the lone island in Lion's arch is awesome! I've seen so many people just jump off the cliff, it's hilarious.
5YRcF.gif

While Guild Wars 2 is a better game than World of Warcraft, WoW felt more like a cohesive world than Guild Wars 2 does. The way point system and loading screen between zones kills the sense of place a bit.

Agreed, which really sucks, as that's something that I absolutely loved about WoW

So don't rush. WoW also had loading-screens between zones, especially when 'zep or teleporting.

Arkaerial

Unconfirmed Member
Hey, anyone having issues with spending trait points? My Necro can't put points in any skill and I have 3 built up. All the + symbols are grayed out.

Interesting. Whereas yesterday I had lag in every server, (but only in some spots) I now get it everywhere in the overflow and nowhere in the main. What a bizarre bug.

zulfate

So many of you may remember that long ago I had made a post on how to configure your setup to play Guild Wars 2 with a gamepad. WeltallZero approached me about improving on and refining this project. After many revisions and an enormous amount of work on his part (including many hours of headstart, thank you buddy!), we have arrived at a solution that is very simple for anyone to set up, very efficient and natural, and incorporates a TON of crucial functions (including some that aren't even bound in-game by default).

We call it: The Ultimate Configuration
(Click on the Google Docs link, then go to File->Download. Personally I just saved any extracted it in my GW2 folder.)

The underlying magic can work with any controller but our profile assumes you're using a 360 controller; I'm not sure how it reacts to others yet. Weltall has included detailed, easy-to-follow instructions and I HIGHLY suggest you read through them, but for those who want the quick and dirty "make it work!" version:

-Extract the zip.

-If on Win7, right click on Xpadder.exe, go to properties and set it to run in Compatibility Mode for Windows Vista

-Open START.BAT. This opens Xpadder and the AutoHotKey script that makes all this work. If your gamepad is on, but XPadder doesn't show a large Xbox360 gamepad image, you may have to manually select the Gamepad profile. Just click the top leftmost tiny icon that looks like a gamepad, select "Open", then select the file "Xbox 360 Controller.xpaddercontroller".

-Make the following keybinds in GW2:

-Turn double-tap to dodge off. You most likely want to turn auto-loot on as well.
-The default Camera Rotation Speed in GW2 is very low. Raise it in the options a bit (to roughly halfway up the slider). You can always adjust this to your preference.

And you're done, configuration complete. From here on out it's a pretty darn seamless experience. Here's the layout:
ibjfYk0wJm46N.png

It looks complicated of course, but in all honestly, the core functions are all very simple. The really important things are:
-Hold Back to get your mouse cursor, RB to Left Click and RT to Right Click
-RB is used to access many secondary functions, i.e., X is Skill 1, but RB + X is Utility Skill 1 (7 key)

Many of my original bindings remain, and a bunch of stuff I didn't even try to map is included. Some of the mapping decisions might seem weird to you but this has honestly been playtested by us to hell and back and it's really quite something. If you've been using a gamepad before now, making the switch over can take a little getting used to (especially just relying on the back button for all cursor-duties), but it's so worth it. If you're just trying out using a controller for the first time, there's no better time!

The real magic here is a solution Weltall implemented in the script to reset your mouse pointer to a fixed positon anytime you move the camera, press or release back, etc. This translates to a vast improvement in AoE skill usability, as they'll always be aimable from a fixed position. It takes a little getting used to but it feels incredibly natural.

If you're playing in windowed mode or fullscreen windowed mode, he even added an overlaid cursor to help with aiming. Tragically we can't find a workaround yet to get this to appear in fullscreen, but even without it you can get used to aiming pretty quickly.

To return to normal windows operation just click R3 when you're done playing (or hit F7).

Please give it a shot and post your thoughts and impressions! Xpadder's GUI is actually pretty intuitive, so feel free to make your own tweaks and modifications and share them. Weltall and I will probably continue making "official" releases with small tweaks and fixes for a while, and the link in this post will go to the updated version.

ok so i finally got this set up and i am getting used to it it is not bad, but i still have a problem with ground targets. i would have to hit the skill then hold back and RB just to cast it is there a work around to this? also you said something about welltall fixing the cursor back to center but that doesnt seem to be working for me.

thanks alot great guide!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
ok so i finally got this set up and i am getting used to it it is not bad, but i still have a problem with ground targets. i would have to hit the skill then hold back and RB just to cast it is there a work around to this?
Don't understand this at all! Please clarify?

also you said something about welltall fixing the cursor back to center but that doesnt seem to be working for me.

thanks alot great guide!
Piecake also claimed this isn't working for him, I'm not sure what the deal is! :-/

etiolate

Banned
Mesmers still have the same problems they had before. Phantasms are useless in PVE unless its a boss. Everything dies too quickly in DEs to get use out of illusions. You have to quick shatter them as soon as they pop up to get anything of use from them.

And in PVP, Mesmers are entirely nullfied by decent AOE. Mesmer v Ele is a one sided affair. If the Ele keeps dropping AOE, then I can barely damage it. So very much of the Mesmer's damage is tied to illusions, either via shatter or via phantasms, that they become impotent in the face of AoE.

That vista on the lone island in Lion's arch is awesome! I've seen so many people just jump off the cliff, it's hilarious.
5YRcF.gif
I somehow managed to bring the jump shot gun with me around the island when I first did it. Was a fun bug, since it made it easy to get everywhere. Wasn't able to recreate the bug since, though. :(

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I'm getting some weird latency issues tonight :(

And only a couple of minutes after I updated my AMD graphics card drivers!

Placebo kicking in, hahaha.

Does anyone else get a lot of clipping going on with their armour?

My shoulders clip a bit through my shoulder armour, my legs clip a bit through my long coats, my face clips a bit through my mask....its annoying as hell!

Human Ranger med height with the 3rd choice on build size for refference.

I'm getting some weird latency issues tonight :(

And only a couple of minutes after I updated my AMD graphics card drivers!

Placebo kicking in, hahaha.

It's server side. Last night I had it all over, this morning it was gone, and tonight it's only when I'm on overflow.

Also, people using the trading post, HOW?!

Deitus

Hey guys, I have a question:

Are the additional stuff from the deluxe edition worth it or should I buy the regular edition?

They really aren't worth it. Just buy the regular edition, and if you really want to spend the extra $20, buy a bunch of gems (cash shop currency).

W1SSY

ArenaNet posted information on current problems on Reddit. Lookd over the last page and didn't see it so here is the link. Seems 15% of people have access to the trading post and that they have stopped password resetting because all the hacking. Glad to see they are letting people know what is going on.

It's weird because my friend is sitting literally two meters away from me and he's got no problems.

I know right? But then when you go into a major city, or get into a personal story quest, or even sometimes just swapping between the main and overflow server, boom, latency gone.

zulfate

Don't understand this at all! Please clarify?
sorry when i am about to cast an aoe skill i have to then hold back(mouse cursor)then RB(right click) just to cast it, its annoying. like how would an elementalist go about casting and moving?

Piecake also claimed this isn't working for him, I'm not sure what the deal is! :-/

sorry when i am about to cast an aoe skill i have to then hold back(mouse cursor)then RB(right click) just to cast it, its annoying. like how would an elementalist go about casting and moving?

yeah so it makes for a wonky experience with it but its not bad at all!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

yeah so it makes for a wonky experience with it but its not bad at all!
Oh I see! The other thing that's not working for you is what allows you to do that comfortably.

You can just aim via the camera since the mouse will always be in the same place- in windowed mode there's even a crosshair to help!

Did you see my workaround above? See if that worked for you.

KuroNeeko

So, got my Necro up to 22 tonight and he's finally clicked for me.

I've gone full staff with him and have realized how woefully I have underestimated the Marks he can throw down. In a clusterfuck event, they are really powerful, but even in a solo one-on-one or one-on-two, the dropping of conditions on allies and removing boons on enemies becomes really powerful.

I went full staff around 18 and have not looked back.

Are you still going heavy minions? Are you finding the marks to outpace axe / dagger in terms of damage?

IJoel

Anyone here with a Q6600 having performance issues? I have it (OCed @ 3.2 GHz, along with the GTX 570) and the game performs rather poorly (20-30 fps on high settings @ 1680x1050).

zulfate

Oh I see! The other thing that's not working for you is what allows you to do that comfortably.

You can just aim via the camera since the mouse will always be in the same place- in windowed mode there's even a crosshair to help!

Did you see my workaround above? See if that worked for you.

ok yeah i see the cursor but now my mouse is moving in the background touching things lol
*sigh* i guess it just isnt working for me correctly :( that sucks.

thank you so much!

blackwatchplad

Neo Member
Just thew down and acquired.

Any world worth specifically hopping on to? or does it even matter??
Not sure if my few 1-2 friends would be up for joining a GAFguild (maybe or maybe not) ..but i wouldn't mind at least being friendly.
I want to get everything planned out as it downloads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom