• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ferrio

Banned
So Kripp said he used the exploit to convert 20000 karma to 8 gold. Seems silly to permanently ban his account for that, especially since they are giving botters a 72 hour ban...

Smells like BS on kripps side. If they were able to pinpoint someone exactly how many times they exploited (as shown earlier), then I'm sure they have some hard evidence on him. Even so.. 8 gold for 20k is pretty substantial.

Vodh

You want to know a funny thing? Kripp got banned for something else - he was buying cooking ingredients with karma, cooking something and selling to a vendor. The conversion rate was something like 10k karma = 6 gold. I am all for what happened with the karma weapons, but THAT is just bullshit.

Kripp's youtube video.

Ferrio

Banned
You want to know a funny thing? Kripp got banned for something else - he was buying cooking ingredients with karma, cooking something and selling to a vendor. The conversion rate was something like 10k karma = 6 gold. I am all for what happened with the karma weapons, but THAT is just bullshit.

Kripp's youtube video.

That was a previous exploit, who's to say he didn't do this other one too? Though I can't watch the video at work.

Aeana

Looks like the GAF guild is now so large that merely opening the guild window drops everyone's framerate dramatically. Just verified with several guild members! Mine goes from 60 to 35.

Smells like BS on kripps side. If they were able to pinpoint someone exactly how many times they exploited (as shown earlier), then I'm sure they have some hard evidence on him. Even so.. 8 gold for 20k is pretty substantial.
It's not BS. We watched it live. You can check out the archive video yourself.

That was a previous exploit, who's to say he didn't do this other one too? Though I can't watch the video at work.
....he plays the game live.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Looks like the GAF guild is now so large that merely opening the guild window drops everyone's framerate dramatically. Just verified with several guild members! Mine goes from 60 to 35.

Next up: GAF guild window displays 500 error.

Hawk269

That is classic. User tries to be a "little" upfront and get a reduced ban, but the dev's comment that he abused 2167 times....fucking classic. Guy has a lot of nerve trying to make it sound like he only did it a bit and also admits he knew it was wrong and still tries to get them to reduce the ban and then gets slammed by the dev with actual numbers.

Bravo ArenaNet!

Jrmint

So guys I plan on starting a Norn Ranger tonight and wow there is a lot of customization options. Almost a little too many.

Do the questions you answer have a great deal of differences on your stats as you level?

Ferrio

Banned
I guess the bottom line of this is that we know Anet isn't going to take shit lightly. Whether you like it or not.. that's the case.

At this point we're not even arguing if they're guilty, just whether what punishment needed to be handed out. So knowing Anet's stance, you should think twice before taking advantage of shit like this. They did excuse people who only minimally abused the system though, so they're not totally ironfisted.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I dont think a credit card company would care about it that at all, don't they usually side with the account member?

Of course they do. But ArenaNet will point at the fine print.

So guys I plan on starting a Norn Ranger tonight and wow there is a lot of customization options. Almost a little too many.

Do the questions you answer have a great deal of differences on your stats as you level?

Just your personal story.

Rokam

That is classic. User tries to be a "little" upfront and get a reduced ban, but the dev's comment that he abused 2167 times....fucking classic. Guy has a lot of nerve trying to make it sound like he only did it a bit and also admits he knew it was wrong and still tries to get them to reduce the ban and then gets slammed by the dev with actual numbers.

Bravo ArenaNet!

It's glorious when people do this, a few months back on the WoW forums someone was bitching about something that happened to them. CM pulled up their account info and revealed that whatever they were bitching about wasn't true.

etiolate

Banned
So you can taste the mantears.

I love how the exploiters are saying "why didn't you just roll back the servers instead of banning us". Yes, let's undo the work that everyone else did, because you decided to exploit a mistake.

How about no. Take your ban like a man. You got caught, live with it.

Not rollback the server. Rollback his character.

Basically, the game still has issues. In the end, its ANet's fuckup.

It's horrible publicity for them. They just shut down website sales, either because they can't handle more sales or because they don't want banned players to come back on a new account. They had a lot of goodwill going, but this is the sort of dumb thing that hurts PR.

Ferrio

Banned
It's glorious when people do this, a few months back on the WoW forums someone was bitching about something that happened to them. CM pulled up their account info and revealed that whatever they were bitching about wasn't true.

LoL forums are hilarious for this.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

It's horrible publicity for them. They just shut down website sales, either because they can't handle more sales or because they don't want banned players to come back on a new account. They had a lot of goodwill going, but this is the sort of dumb thing that hurts PR.
I'm certain it's because of the banned players, their message on the topic was quite clear. I don't see how this is bad PR to anyone but people who want to exploit the game... :-/

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Oh my god, they really have blocked new game sales! I have no sympathy for players who got thousands of this item but a perma is bullshit for the rest when botters should be the ones being permanently removed.

I freaking love this game but ANet's handling of this launch has been awful. Trading post still down, account hackings already, blocking new sales just to damage control for their own mistakes...

I'm certain it's because of the banned players, their message on the topic was quite clear. I don't see how this is bad PR to anyone but people who want to exploit the game... :-/

It was bad PR for SWTOR and it will be for this.

speedpop

You can buy physical copies and digital copies elsewhere - you just can't buy through the official site. They already talked about this.

Vano

That's why i take every whine about stuff like that with a grain of salt. The majority of the people did it and is lying, the other are trolls lying just for the sake of lying and making things worse and there is the low % of people who where banned wrongly.

epmode

I am having a hard time understanding why some people think that they stopped first-party digital sales just to keep the banned players out of the game. The expression is "cut off your nose to spite your face" and I'd be shocked if that's the real reason.

W1SSY

Bravo ArenaNet!
This is almost as good as the other thread in which people find out that they were banned for things they said in chat.

Won

Hmm, I think it's good publicity for them. Banning Kripp within a week is a sign of a developer who gives a crap about his game.

I am having a hard time understanding why some people think that they stopped first-party digital sales just to keep the banned players out of the game. The expression is "cut off your nose to spite your face" and I'd be shocked if that's the real reason.

Didn't they just say in an interview that they would cut off sales for a time if they thought the game experience would suffer? They already commented on servers being full and still have things they are working on(TP, Mail, Guilds), so I am guessing it got to a point where they didn't want the situation to get worse.

The M.O.B

So ArenaNet has made Reddit their Official Forum or something? That's BS for Kripp to get banned for that post.

Do they ban everyone who posts a rant on Reddit?

But yeah, no way am I liking ArenaNet's response to this crap, fix the exploits should be their priority.

speedpop

Didn't they just say in an interview that they would cut off sales for a time if they thought the game experience would suffer? They already commented on servers being full and still have things they are working on(TP, Mail, Guilds), so I am guessing it got to a point where they didn't want the situation to get worse.

Yeah. A few days ago.

I’ve had no problems to speak of so far, and I know that’s anecdotal, but I was listening to a pretty popular Guild Wars 2 podcast earlier, and all they talked about was how surprised they’ve been that the servers aren’t underwater.

Demand has just been off the charts. We can’t believe the sales volume so far — it’s been way beyond our expectations. We’ve had concurrent users pushing the 400,000 number, and that’s before the game was even on store shelves. This is why none of us have had any sleep for days. And I do think those numbers will only go up now that the game is on store shelves.

We scheduled the headstart [three- and one-day early launch access] so we’d have a chance with pre-purchasers to discover and fix any problems, and we’ve already discovered and fixed several. I think demand is crazy and it’s only going to go up, but I think we’ll keep things running smoothly.

My priority — our priority — is ultimately making sure that players have a great experience. We spent five years working on Guild Wars 2, and we’re going to spend years and years supporting it. If we got to a point where sales continued to be off the charts, and it threatened the experience that players are having with the game, then we’d just turn off sales.

Turn off sales?

To clarify what I mean by that, we sell the game on our website and we also sell the game at retail. And we know how many boxes we’ve created, so we know how many copies can possibly sell through retail. If it gets to the point where sales are so high that it would be unwise of us to keep selling on our website because it wouldn’t leave enough slots for all the people who’ve already bought and all the people we know are going to buy, then we’d just turn off sales.

That would be a shocking thing to do, obviously — not something that you ever see in the games industry — but for me it’s an easy decision, because for me, Guild Wars 2 is a long-term project. I want players to keep having a great experience, and I know if we had to turn off sales temporarily, it’d be okay.

Ferrio

Banned
So ArenaNet has made Reddit their Official Forum or something? That's BS for Kripp to get banned for that post.

But yeah, no way am I liking ArenaNet's response to this crap, fix the exploits should be their priority.

They did, this is just clean up at this point.

Rokam

He didn't post anything on Reddit. He got banned for buying cooking mats and crafting them and vendoring whatever he made.

It would've been better if they banned botters permanently.

The problem with botters, is there are too many false positives. Temp ban is a good way to do a Human Check, though it's not ideal. GW1 suffered from a lot of botters for a while, but eventually they got it under control.

From the server side, identifying 100% a botter, is very difficult. It's like flashcarts - all you can do is fix the problem once you have enough data, and by then the flashcarts will be using new workarounds, which will have to be fixed in the future once more.

There is a huge difference between knowing someone did a buy/sell exploit, and if someone is using client-side input feeding. I can understand why they err on the side of caution.

Plus... the botters that DID get permabans, well. They're not exactly on twitter complaining, are they.

epmode

Right. It makes sense! Stopping first-party digital sales to prevent a few exploiters from getting back in the game makes 0 sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom