• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok. When you log back on your transported to the nearest waypoint instead of the exact location you were in. Bot would not be able to run all the way back and position itself correctly.

Also, if a human is not moving for an hour they should be booted to make room for everyone else/lighten the load on the servers. There's no reason you can't just relog when you're done with dinner or whatever you were doing for that hour.

Really? I did not know that. I've left a location, came back around an hour later and seen the same bots farming said location

Like I said, it's easy for a bot to work around that mechanic. Leave your character idle for about 30 minutes and the game will disconnect you with a message that says you were idle for too long.

epmode

or to keep exploiters OUT

If ArenaNet was desperate enough to disable digital first-party sales simply to stop a serious exploit, they could temporarily disable account creation. But that's not the reason for the halt so they didn't do that.

Wow, I couldn't disagree more strongly, and I felt a little uneasy reading this. You just justified exploiting; saying not only that the punishments were too harsh or handled poorly but that they are a legitimate part of the experience and should not be punished at all.

In this case, this sort of exploit could have a very tangible impact on the economy as people who hoard and try to sell things they bought with this exploit will skew prices for legitimate sellers.

Part of the cost of my $60 was toward ArenaNet providing the service of stopping things like this swiftly and as completely as possible. I do not support it or feel it's "just part of the game" in any sense.

Yeah, I can't agree with etiolate's stance at all.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Wow, I couldn't disagree more strongly, and I felt a little uneasy reading this. You just justified exploiting; saying not only that the punishments were too harsh or handled poorly but that they are a legitimate part of the experience and should not be punished at all.
My god, hold the phone!

Ashodin

That's some serious shit that they turned off digital sales. The community getting insanely huge and the servers they thought would be able to work with are getting overloaded.

But everyone I've seen in guild has said they've had an amazing time with the game.

This is probably the largest launch to a non-holiday MMO I've ever seen.

Rising_Hei

Is this backslash because someone got banned because he does and advertises things that shouldn't? really?
Also, all those GW2 suspended were because they were sold at places which use to get keys doing pretty bad stuff :)

I'm glad to see that atleast one company takes mmo environment as something serious

Arksy

Stopping sales due to high demand, is pretty much unheard of in this industry. I'm happy ArenaNet have gained the playerbase requried for this game to be successful. Now all we need is for them to get the game working properly. I've spent too much money on bank tabs full of yellow items I've found in order so I can sell them once the TP opens up. :(

inky

Ok. When you log back on your transported to the nearest waypoint instead of the exact location you were in. Bot would not be able to run all the way back and position itself correctly.

When I was playing one of those shitty Korean MMOs with my friends long ago we had bots that connected to the game, bought all kinds of stuff, repaired the items, took a route outside of town to the area where the botting would take place avoiding high level enemies on it's way, looted only specific items, vendored some, stashed others and repeated this without a hitch 24/7 for months. This was a free bot programed by a random guy.

You really underestimate what bots can do.

K.Sabot

That's some serious shit that they turned off digital sales. The community getting insanely huge and the servers they thought would be able to work with are getting overloaded.

But everyone I've seen in guild has said they've had an amazing time with the game.

This is probably the largest launch to a non-holiday MMO I've ever seen.

I can't think of anything that wasn't WoW related that has been this big.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Exploiters had their accounts banned? That's a shocker and totally unjustified.

LOL this game is a nightmare if you have completionist issues

fuck yes it is. I was going to log out 2 hours ago and just kept thinking "one more thing".

Absinthe

When I was playing one of those shitty Korean MMOs with my friends long ago we had bots that connected to the game, bought all kinds of stuff, repaired the items, took a route outside of town to the area where the botting would take place avoiding high level enemies on it's way, looted only specific items, vendored some, stashed others and repeated this without a hitch 24/7 for months. This was a free bot programed by a random guy.

You really underestimate what bots can do.

Damn. Yes I did :)

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
My god, hold the phone!
watch-out-we-got-a-bad-ass-t-shirt-here_design.png

etiolate

Banned

In this case, this sort of exploit could have a very tangible impact on the economy as people who hoard and try to sell things they bought with this exploit will skew prices for legitimate sellers.

Part of the cost of my $60 was toward ArenaNet providing the service of stopping things like this swiftly and as completely as possible. I do not support it or feel it's "just part of the game" in any sense.

I do not justify exploiting. It's not an issue of justice, it is an issue of what people are likely going to do given that you have created a game and not a massage parlor.

I am not saying they are legitimate. I am saying since the "exploits" used involved no outside software or hacks, these infractions were entirely made up of users using the game as it presented itself for their own benefit. This is in line with how we all use the game.

You can do character rollbacks and fix the actual offending problem instead of waiting for days to fix it, rather than banning everyone who took advantage of your mistake while you failed to correct it.

Yes, I bolded important concepts.

Sinistral

Loving the game but, farming for materials is killing me. First time I've felt a grind in this game. It would be alleviated with the Trading Post up but it (still) isn't. My crafting is just below where I am at level wise now and I was pretty much farming all day. Trying to push skills to 150 but need 8 of each special item (blood, fang, etc) and drops rates are horrible.

Was farming Centuars, then renegades but just too much farming for today... Any suggestions?

Teknoman

Loving the game but, farming for materials is killing me. First time I've felt a grind in this game. It would be alleviated with the Trading Post up but it (still) isn't. My crafting is just below where I am at level wise now and I was pretty much farming all day. Trying to push skills to 150 but need 8 of each special item (blood, fang, etc) and drops rates are horrible.

Was farming Centuars, then renegades but just too much farming for today... Any suggestions?

Are you in a guild?

Instro

ANet has never fucked around when it comes to bans, they hammered people very early in GW for taking advantage of some gold exploits. By all means, keep banning these people.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Eh, exploiters deserve to be stopped so I have no problem with ArenaNet banning them.

I find it really interesting/intriguing, however, that ANet stopped first party digital sales of their game. Although this has technically happened before, kinda, with the pre-purchase program. I'm not sure if this is a good or bad position for ANet to be in - I mean, having to stop digital first party sales is a bad thing, clearly, but if this is due to the popularity of the game then good for them. If this is due to the server overload regardless of expected population, then that's not so good.

Arksy

I do not justify exploiting. It's not an issue of justice, it is an issue of what peoplea re likely going to do given that you have created a game and not a massage parlor.

I am not saying they are legitimate. I am saying since the "exploits" used involved no outside software or hacks, these infractions were entirely made up of users using the game as it presented itself for their own benefit. This is in line with how we all use the game.

You can do character rollbacks and fix the actual offending problem instead of waiting for days to fix it, rather than banning everyone who took advantage of your mistake while you failed to correct it.

Somewhat agree. The onus should not be on the players to try to interpret how ArenaNet wants us to play the game. We should take the game as it is and players should be free to within the confines of the game, use whatever mechanics to their advantage. I'm not saying botting is ok, it isn't but if ANet has something marked at the incorrect price that's their fault, not ours.

Wallach

If you don't punish people that egregiously take advantage of exploits, then you encourage players to search for these exploits and use them as much as possible until they're corrected. It results in a pretty shit cycle that affects a lot more players than those taking advantage. I think they drew some clear lines about what they expect from their players when these things get discovered. Doesn't bother me.

Ashodin

You say this as if they aren't working on it, and they aren't already doing things about it. It "feels" like they're taking days to do things because certain systems are affected, and they have to lock out any attempts for people to do so.

In ArenaNet and the people who alpha tested, they didn't have to worry about this sort of thing because they were being closely monitored. Now that it is out in the wild, they have to make huge sweeping gestures to show people that this means business. This will all settle down as the load becomes less and less.

Complaining about launch issues is kind of a waste imo. Every MMO has launch issues. The only thing ArenaNet hasn't had issues with is the servers actually being online. They are amazing in that regard.

If you don't punish people that egregiously take advantage of exploits, then you encourage players to search for these exploits and use them as much as possible until they're corrected. It results in a pretty shit cycle that affects a lot more players than those taking advantage. I think they drew some clear lines about what they expect from their players when these things get discovered. Doesn't bother me.

Yeah. I admit that at first it didn't sound bad enough to justify arenanets actions but then you read things like this, where people say they're innocent or "didn't use it enough times to warrant a perma ban" only to be exposed. Some guy even said he knew it was kind of fishy that one vendor was selling stuff for so low but he only used it to 'test' out the forge lol. Turns out he bought around 2,200 weapons from the super cheap vendor.

Should I be saving for bags or will I loot bigger ones? I'm trying to gather ingredients for cooking but my bags get full fast. I'd have to return to city to sell every 15 minutes.

Instro

Somewhat agree. The onus should not be on the players to try to interpret how ArenaNet wants us to play the game. We should take the game as it is and players should be free to within the confines of the game, use whatever mechanics to their advantage. I'm not saying botting is ok, it isn't but if ANet has something marked at the incorrect price that's their fault, not ours.

Well that doesn't work in real life, so it shouldn't work in a game economy either. Particularly when gold can be exchanged for a real money equivalent.

Windam

Scaley member
What is this "overflow" stuff I keep seeing? Whenever I enter a new zone I'm moved into an overflow, and it seems like I'm only able to join the non-overflow zone in the middle of an event. :/

etiolate

Banned
Well that doesn't work in real life, so it shouldn't work in a game economy either. Particularly when gold can be exchanged for a real money equivalent.

I'm pretty sure thats how it works in real life. I believe you are legally owed the price put on an item if that's the only price listed for the item.

Deitus

Should I be saving for bags or will I loot bigger ones? I'm trying to gather ingredients for cooking but my bags get full fast. I'd have to return to city to sell every 15 minutes.

Are you depositing all of your collectables, and salvaging all of the gear that you don't want? Because I can't imagine how your bags could possibly fill up every 15 minutes if you are doing those things.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls

I try not to farm too much because it's going to drive me up the wall within 30mins. I did enough of that in WoW. I don't want to do it ever again in another MMO.

I've played 40hrs and my highest character is at level 14. I've got alts everywhere, and it certainly helps with my crafting. Having multiple characters running around lowbie areas gives me the benefit of gathering the materials I need without banging my head against an UNDER MAINTENANCE banner.

But I think the biggest help is having one character centralized for all of your crafting. Since you can change whatever crafting you want at any time without any penalty, I've been using that. He is also level 7 and hasn't stepped out of Hoelbrak since level 2. The only issue is he has zero karma, so I have to jump on other characters who have it built up and buy the things from there. The biggest worry I have is that I'll come across a few places where the karma-bought items will be soulbound to that character; though I imagine it would be quite easy to max all crafting professions (or at the very least get very near to the cap) without having to face those walls.

This site and this post are also very helpful.

K.Sabot

Just bought 150 iron ore for dirt cheap. Copper was 4x more expensive.

Am I exploiting the market?

Edit: Sold it for 2x markup.

Now I am.

IceIpor

I do not justify exploiting. It's not an issue of justice, it is an issue of what peoplea re likely going to do given that you have created a game and not a massage parlor.

I am not saying they are legitimate. I am saying since the "exploits" used involved no outside software or hacks, these infractions were entirely made up of users using the game as it presented itself for their own benefit even though they knew it was wrong. This is in line with how we all use the game.

You can do character rollbacks and fix the actual offending problem instead of waiting for days to fix it, rather than banning everyone who took advantage exploit of your mistake while you failed to correct it.

Sounds more inline to what I'm seeing. Although I agree a perm ban was somewhat harsh. Maybe 2 weeks would suffice for a first offense. (unless it was a massive abuse.)

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I know I'm late for this but I have nothing but praise for arenanet. They handled the situation perfect in my eyes. Bought 1, nothing happens. Bought 10-50, get 3 days. Bought hundreds, perma for exploiting, the way it should be. Then publicly asking everyone to contest their bans, so all the people crying "i only bought 1!" have no grounds AT ALL.

I LOVE the drama. And all the whiteknighting. Also, taking down their own sales platform to fix server overload issues is a great move.

Again, nothing but praise for arenanet from me. They've gained even more goodwill.

I hope people didn't give Peter and Kristen crap about this in guildchat...

Instro

I'm pretty sure thats how it works in real life. I believe you are legally owed the price put on an item if that's the only price listed for the item.

No store has to honor price mistakes, and they don't unless they are being nice. In fact all stores have clauses in all ads/ToS/etc specifically stating that they do not.

Vano

What is this "overflow" stuff I keep seeing? Whenever I enter a new zone I'm moved into an overflow, and it seems like I'm only able to join the non-overflow zone in the middle of an event. :/

Its like a backup server where you can play while the "main" server have a spot for you. You can play and do the same as you would do in the main server (tho you can't see the WvW standings). There are situations when you party where you can join your party in the same overflow/main server using the join in the party UI but is working sometimes and sometimes not.

Card Boy

Banned
I got another email in regards to my deleted Deluxe Edition missing items.

Greetings,

We are aware of the issue with Collector’s Edition/Digital Deluxe Edition items going missing after deleting a character that had them. It has happened to many of us, too. -_- This issue is still being investigated and we hope to have a resolution soon. In the meantime, we will keep your ticket open to provide additional updates as necessary.

If you did receive your items but your Summon Mistfire Wolf is greyed out even after reaching level 30, know that this is also being worked on and we hope to have a fix for it soon. In the meantime, you can check for updates to major issues at our support site (http://en.support.guildwars2.com/), or follow Guild Wars on Twitter (https://twitter.com/guildwars2) or Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/GuildWars2).

Thanks for your patience and understanding. We hope you enjoy the world of Tyria!

Best regards,

Chris
Guild Wars Support Team
http://support.guildwars2.com/

you do know that you can send all your mats to your bank from anywhere right?
the gear icon in your inventory
plus, you should always have a few stacks of Salvaging Kits on you so you can break down equipment. the only thing you really need to sell are junk items.

Arksy

No store has to honor price mistakes, and they don't unless they are being nice. In fact all stores have clauses in all ads/ToS/etc specifically stating that they do not.

Basic error of fact. Law overrides what a ToS says, not the other way around. In most jurisdictions you may run foul of consumer legislation for miseleading and deceptive conduct, unconscionability or bait and switching. (Of course it depends on the circumstances of each case, etc but it's not as blanket as you make it seem).

Regardless, if you listed something at the incorrect price and a sale was made, you have ZERO ability to enforce the difference post-sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom