• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoo-doo

Banned
The exploiters sound like those guys who managed to get underneath the map in Call of Duty matches, calling out that it was totally "fair game" because it was a bug caused by developers and they are only taking advantage of it, even though it is clearly broken.

inky

How does one determine what is gamebreaking?

In Diablo 3, replaying a quest gave you rewards of money and experience. Some quests gave a significant amount of reward for the amount of effort. Blizzard thought it was gamebreaking enough to remove/reduce the bonuses.

The same thing can happen in GW2 quests. You're just farming the quest over and over again because it's the most efficient way to level up and get money. Permabanned?

Except it's not the same thing. The apt comparison in this case would be if in Diablo 3 a vendor had (by mistake) iLvL 63 unidentified weapons for 20 gold. Now tell me what do you think that would do to the economy in the game.

If such a thing as you described happens there would be balance patch fix. Gaining experience through these means is hardly the same as having almost unlimited access to the most powerful items in the game.

broz0rs

This dilemma is similar to when I tried to buy a Samsung LCD monitor at Amazon for $8.

Amazon rightfully cancelled my order for forty of them and refunded my money. Glad I didn't get my account banned there because it's a PRIME account. lol

KingKong

I would look here:

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/exploit

vb [ɪkˈsplɔɪt] (tr)
1. to take advantage of (a person, situation, etc.), esp unethically or unjustly for one's own ends
2. to make the best use of to exploit natural resources

verb
1. take advantage of, abuse, use, manipulate, milk, misuse, dump on (slang, chiefly U.S.), ill-treat, shit on (taboo slang), play on or upon "Casual workers are being exploited for slave wages."

That's a completely different definition. In real life you can exploit someone, but in game it means something completely different. It's a separate term: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exploit_(computer_security)

Vodh

An item was costing fractions of it's real cost due to an error. Someone said they were listed at 21 karma and not like 21k karma. They were buying these uber cheap items to forge really really power items at fractions of what you'd have to normally pay for them.

When you take advantage of bugs,mistakes etc in games.. it's an exploit.

Yeah. And judging from my case I have to say they have dealt with it accordingly. Buying some of them for yourself and maybe an alt or two = 72h. That's fair. Buying hundreds in hopes of getting really rich = perma. That's also fair.

Honestly the only little doubt anyone could have about this situations is some claim from Reddit that a guy got perma'd for buying like 20 of them or so - this is nowhere near what's needed to upset the economy in any way and looks like just enough for 1 person to supply 3 characters. A permaban for that is a little harsh - but then again it's Reddit, no way to know if the claim is true and evidence suggests otherwise.

KingKong

Your definition of exploit is wrong.

When you take advantage of bugs,mistakes, glitch etc in games.. it's an exploit.

Wikipedia Definition

"An exploit (from the verb to exploit, in the meaning of using something to one’s own advantage) is a piece of software, a chunk of data, or sequence of commands that takes advantage of a bug, glitch or vulnerability in order to cause unintended or unanticipated behaviour to occur on computer software, hardware, or something electronic (usually computerised). "

It's cut and dry, because IT WAS A GLITCH.

It's not a glitch

Also, just to repeat, I agree that it's wrong and my main issue is the severity of the punishment (especially compared to the 3 day temp bans botters received)

Ferrio

Banned
It's not a glitch

Also, just to repeat, I agree that it's wrong and my main issue is the severity of the punishment (especially compared to the 3 day temp bans botters received)

How is it not a glitch? To say it was not a glitch means they meant to have that weapon at 21 karma.

I hope nobody actually got banned just for buying a couple of them and doing nothing else with them. There's a big difference between that and what others were doing with turning them into other things via the mystic forge on a massive scale, and I don't think the two should be treated equally. People in that thread make it sound like they were banned just for buying, but how many and is that really all they did?

Well, according to @GuildWars2: "If you bought a few weapons - you were not banned. If you massively exploited it - you were. read here: http://ow.ly/dmq3e ^MK "

It's not a glitch

I would say a fair discipline would be a warning (at log in) and a rollback of their characters. but the communities in these games are usually piles of shit so I can imagine the calls for blood on a noted community figure.

Aeana

Well, according to @GuildWars2: "If you bought a few weapons - you were not banned. If you massively exploited it - you were. read here: http://ow.ly/dmq3e ^MK "

I see.

Also umm... is this the only place that this is posted? http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/z3qqm/guild_wars_2_status_thursday_august_30/

I hope that ArenaNet isn't actually doing game updates via Reddit and nowhere else, because... they have a website and a launcher for a reason, and I don't see this on either.

foladar

I would say a fair discipline would be a warning (at log in) and a rollback of their characters. but the communities in these games are usually piles of shit so I can imagine the calls for blood on a noted community figure.

Honestly, even a 24 or 72 hour suspension + rollback would be adequate, but a ban is pretty extreme.

How is it not a glitch? To say it was not a glitch means they meant to have that weapon at 21 karma.

I would say it would be because the intern in charge of the data entry on pricing made a typo, not because they intercepted packets, or other other cyber hocus pocus and got the transaction processed.

Ferrio

Banned
I would say it would be because the intern in charge the data entry on pricing made a typo, not because they intercepted packets, or other other cyber hocus pocus and got the transaction processed.

Glitch, bug, typo... whatever you wanna classify it is... as long as you take advantage of it.. it's an exploit.

etiolate

Banned
Cool thing I just discovered: If you and a party member are at the same part in the story, and you do their story part, the game gives you the option to count it as progress in your story after completing it.

So, if you want, you can skip doing the same story mission back to back.

Absinthe

That's a completely different definition. In real life you can exploit someone, but in game it means something completely different. It's a separate term: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exploit_(computer_security)

An exploit (from the verb to exploit, in the meaning of using something to one’s own advantage) is a piece of software, a chunk of data, or sequence of commands that takes advantage of a bug, glitch or vulnerability in order to cause unintended or unanticipated behaviour to occur on computer software, hardware, or something electronic (usually computerised). This frequently includes such things as gaining control of a computer system or allowing privilege escalation or a denial-of-service attack.

Hawk269

Regardless if it was Anets error, it was still an exploit. The item in question should have been listed for a substantial higher price and it was accidently posted at a lower price. Players knew of this and took advantage and bought hundreds of them, if not more. I think anyone that plays a MMO and see's this type of error would know that it was a fuck up on the developers end, but it was their choice to take advantage of the error.

They took the risk of buying a ton of these items, they knew it was a risk and yet they still took it.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I would say it would be because the intern in charge or pricing made a type, not because they intercepted packets, or other other cyber hocus pocus and got the transaction processed.

Jumping on that error in hope of making millions of gold illegitimately absolutely deserves a ban. I don't care if it's called a "glitch", "hack" or "exploit". It's abusing the system, plain and simple.

Invites are working again for all it seems, feel free to PM me in-game. Hawkian the Blade

I'm on a different server, can I still join the GAFguild?

Jewelling is coming along well, I'm at 149 now, my latest discoveries were giving me almost 7K exp each, I literally gained two character levels in about 40 seconds, sogood

vaelic

Banned
more info:

[–]Deimorz 25 points 28 minutes ago
Some more info about the bans from the GW2 Twitter:
Let me assure you: All the people we banned were fully aware of it being an exploit.
If you bought a few weapons - you were not banned. If you massively exploited it - you were.
If you bought 50 you are not permanently banned. MK

dorkimoe

I went directly through the site. Not stupid.

Their damage at range is lackluster (overall melee is stronger than range in this game by principle I believe), if you want to pull shit off you need to get in the thick of things... or bring them to you atleast.

If i go remotely close to them i get smoked

I hope nobody actually got banned just for buying a couple of them and doing nothing else with them. There's a big difference between that and what others were doing with turning them into other things via the mystic forge on a massive scale, and I don't think the two should be treated equally. People in that thread make it sound like they were banned just for buying, but how many and is that really all they did?

I think someone on that stream said one person did get banned for just buying one of the items...i think he was just mentioning a post he saw on reddit though, not like someone he knew personally or something

edit -

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/z3pzz/permanently_banned_for_buying_a_few_21_karma/

I received a 72 hour ban for buying 4 of them, I admittedly would have bought more but the mail was broke, inventory almost full, and bank full. I only grabbed those 4, salvaged (because I couldn't sell anyway and I am only 36) for useless items to my professions. And, to top it off, I reported the bug 3 times throughout a few hours hoping it would be fixed, checked before I went to bed, and it was still there. I played nearly all day today then tried to log in a few mins ago to see I have a ban, so stupid.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I love how draconian everything is. People should have seen the writing on the wall when we started hearing reports of people copping 72hr bans for misconduct in chat and inappropriate names.

Ferrio

Banned
If i go remotely close to them i get smoked

Well I've done things to help that

1. I've put a lot of points in acrobatics, and shadow arts... so I have some durability and traits to get me outta danger.
2. I use dagger/dagger... so I have use of the 5th skill that gives me stealth.
3. I use the 25% speed increase signet.
4. I use scorpian wire to bring them to me.

Between all my mobility options and stealth options... they have to reaaaaaly want me to kill me. Usually after a couple stealths they lose interest.

Other things you could do is use sword, or some of the shadow recall stuff. Pop in... hit some people and recall out once things get dicey.

Hawk269

I think someone on that stream said one person did get banned for just buying one of the items...i think he was just mentioning a post he saw on reddit though, not like someone he knew personally or something

edit -

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/z3pzz/permanently_banned_for_buying_a_few_21_karma/

Well, I am sure the ones that got banned, at least some of them are going to try the "innocent card" and state they bought one. According to this updated info from Anet, people that bought 50 or more got a 72 hour ban, so one or 2 people saying they bought 1 and got banned are most likely full of shit.

[–]Deimorz 25 points 28 minutes ago
Some more info about the bans from the GW2 Twitter:
Let me assure you: All the people we banned were fully aware of it being an exploit.
If you bought a few weapons - you were not banned. If you massively exploited it - you were.
If you bought 50 you are not permanently banned. MK

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Well I've done things to help that

1. I've put a lot of points in acrobatics, and shadow arts... so I have some durability and traits to get me outta danger.
2. I use dagger/dagger... so I have use of the 5th skill that gives me stealth.
3. I use the 25% speed increase signet.
4. I use scorpian wire to bring them to me.

Other things you could do is use sword, or some of the shadow recall stuff. Pop in... hit some people and recall out once things get dicey.
Infiltrator's Strike, the innocent little sword 2 skill, is in many ways my biggest asset.

Aeana

yes they are using reddit for their updates. it's PATHETIC.

Well, I suppose that explains why I was under the impression that ANet was not communicating anything. I don't go to Reddit, and I honestly should not be expected to. They need to be using their website and launcher.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
[–]ArenaNetSupportTeam
[+1] 1 point 34 seconds ago (1|0)

Let's clear that up: Kripp's account is terminated.

Well, the horse has spoken.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Well, I suppose that explains why I was under the impression that ANet was not communicating anything. I don't go to Reddit, and I honestly should not be expected to. They need to be using their website and launcher.

Agreed.

I know you're reading this, Kerstein! Make it happen!

I love how draconian everything is. People should have seen the writing on the wall when we started hearing reports of people copping 72hr bans for misconduct in chat and inappropriate names.

yeah I went into this game blind, and this company is coming across like a bunch of douchelords, I guess I should have researched it more...

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death

I agree. However, they're making the actual posts there. They announce the post through twitter and facebook.

Hoo-doo

Banned
yeah I went into this game blind, and this company is coming across like a bunch of douchelords, I guess I should have researched it more...

You kidding? That's how shit is supposed to work.

You get flagged for racist spam in map chat? 72 hour ban. Seems completely reasonable.

Rokam

[–]ArenaNetSupportTeam
[+1] 1 point 34 seconds ago (1|0)

Let's clear that up: Kripp's account is terminated.

Well, the horse has spoken.

Seems like a terrible idea to discuss this sort of thing out in the open, when the person involved isn't the one posting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom