• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tendo

Alright, I'm new to Guild wars and I'm a bit lost...

I'm a lvl 7 engineer - should I be struggling with combat this much? Maybe I just need better gear. I have a shield and a pistol right now but after I use my electricity and poison I pretty much just try to dodge until they recharge. I have only used one skill point on the rife turret - what else should I grab? I've got 3 skill points waiting to go.

Those skills on my hero page - are those all I ever get or do I unlock more from quests later on?

This game did finally push me over the edge...my 660ti will be here Tuesday.

"I'm a lvl 7 engineer - should I be struggling with combat this much? Maybe I just need better gear. I have a shield and a pistol right now but after I use my electricity and poison I pretty much just try to dodge until they recharge. I have only used one skill point on the rife turret - what else should I grab? I've got 3 skill points waiting to go."

This game is balanced around actively avoiding damage, so yeah.

Anno

Mask aside (I wish having it off in-game turned it off here, too), I'm pretty happy with how awesome my dude looks. Especially for just level 37

gRsJq.jpg

Hoo-doo

Banned
I have a level 76 shield right now and it still looks like it was made from the bottom of a barrel.

Yup, forgot about that too. bought a new awesome masterwork shield from a karma vendor today as well. Yup, it's the same round wooden shield I used back in level one.

They better give out those transmutation stones like candy.

Tendo

"I'm a lvl 7 engineer - should I be struggling with combat this much? Maybe I just need better gear. I have a shield and a pistol right now but after I use my electricity and poison I pretty much just try to dodge until they recharge. I have only used one skill point on the rife turret - what else should I grab? I've got 3 skill points waiting to go."

This game is balanced around actively avoiding damage, so yeah.

I figured as much. I'm coming off of playing a ton of DCUO so that is helping. I guess I just gotta work with it. I just don't feel like I hit hard. At all.

Sorry if I missed this further up in the thread but hows the performance on this game on most systems? Smooth 60fps with a high end box or is it lacking?

I wanted to create a character because something's wrong with my level 30 personal quest (I can't go any further), but it doesn't work. Whenever I choose the name and click on Next, there's an message saying the client couldn't join the login server (code 42:5:13:318:101). Is this normal?

Sorry if I missed this further up in the thread but hows the performance on this game on most systems? Smooth 60fps with a high end box or is it lacking?
Performance is completely inconsistent, you may have constant 60 fps on an average machine or 25 fps on a PC from the future. Sometimes you even get a better framerate while enabling a higher level of detail. The poor optimization is what makes me rage the most about Guild Wars 2.

gatti-man

My highest character is only 19 so far, but does anyone know if the race stories and voice acting is as good as some of the class stories from TOR?

That's one thing I thought was excellent in TOR.

it's not even close to TOR. However everything else is better IMO.

I gotta get an SSD. I want faster loady screens damnit!
Load screens with an ssd are at most two seconds for me.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
thanks for all your honest answers
Of course! :)

BTW, I'll be running a (hopefully much smoother and more accessible) guided newbie tour of WvW tomorrow at 5:30PM EST. The idea is to get into our own Borderlands for ease of explanation, but I can roll with it if the queues are much better for the other two (we won't be going to the Eternal Battlegrounds
KuGsj.gif
).

You will need Mumble at least to be able to listen. Please post in this thread if you're interested!
Load screens with an ssd are at most two seconds for me.
Holy crap want. They're not thaaat bad for me but that sounds incredible.

edit: BTW I'm gonna be repping the overflow guild to get them some influence for basic upgrades today. Just PM Hawkian the Blade if you need me.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I was wondering, is the 5v5 PvP already in the game? I dabbled in the WvWvW for a while today, and found it to be a massive clusterfuck with 95% of the time spent running, and 5% time spend fighting.

Those 5v5 or 8v8 capture the flag modes are way, way more appealing to me. Are they yet to come or am I just missing them in the menus?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I was wondering, is the 5v5 PvP already in the game? I dabbled in the WvWvW for a while today, and found it to be a massive clusterfuck with 95% of the time spent running, and 5% time spend fighting.

Those 5v5 or 8v8 capture the flag modes are way, way more appealing to me. Are they yet to come or am I just missing them in the menus?
Missing it. Hero screen, PvP tab on the left. Go to the Heart of the Mists.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
What the fuck... the game is sold out on their official website and Green Man Gaming.

Trying to get a copy for my wife. This is ridiculous.

Macattk15

So I finally got an e-mail from support about my hacked account ...

They give me the e-mail and password that the account was changed to.

I go to their website .... copy and paste the shit in .... "this e-mail does not belong to an account."

Are you fucking kidding me Arenanet? It took you 3 fucking days to simply tell me what they changed my e-mail to ... and then it isn't even correct?

God. Fuck you guys.

eosos

Banned
What the fuck... the game is sold out on their official website and Green Man Gaming.

Just go to a gamestop.

This game is pretty amazing. More fun than wow so far, but I'm only lvl 8. I Just started doing professions and I'm liking it a ton.

j-wood

All these hacks just baffle me, even more so when people blame arena net.

If you are using Gmail I strongly suggest their 2 step authentication

Hit level 80 today! That makes me the first level 80 Mesmer of the GAF Guild. Not enough Mesmers out there.

Man, any decent level 80 gear seems to be expensive - I think I'll spend my karma pool on WvW Karma gear though just to be able to compete.

My next plans are going to be to 100% the zones (the level 70-80 zones first, as the completion awards seem to be excellent exotic-level gear that I can at least sell if it doesn't match).

I'll also need to start cranking out some serious karma through WvW or the Orr zones in big groups, but there aren't enough players in those zones to make zerg-chaining a reality quite yet.

Kingbrave

Do you guys get on mumble a lot when doing other stuff? After the attempts to do the WvWvW stuff it's odd not to hear people talking. Maybe I should have my kiddo come down here and just talk...

Lyonaz

Did AC story dungeon today. Got a sexy hat.

Waiting for a group for 2nd run.
jbkU1YWbXcThbo.jpg

Inside.
jbfc00cbaQK9Fq.jpg

Need to run some AC exploration mode for the sexy pirate outfit.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Did AC story dungeon today. Got a sexy hat.

Waiting for a group for 2nd run.
jbkU1YWbXcThbo.jpg

Inside.
jbfc00cbaQK9Fq.jpg

Need to run some AC exploration mode for the sexy pirate outfit.

I approve of that hat greatly :D Must find one myself in the future once after I hit 80. Since it beats all those ugly ass masks we get stuck with for the most of the time D: I think I was in chat when you announced that to all of us lol Was busy working on my engineer. Almost lv 30! Would make the 2nd character to get there :D Though I need to get back to the main and push him up to 40. Too many alts I have to work on D:

Violet_0

Banned
What are the weapon setups for other Mesmers here looking like? At the moment I'm use Greatsword and Staff though I'm wondering if I should try something new for a while.

I use sword/pistol and greatsword. Glass cannon build, switching between the weapons all the time for Phantasmal Berserker/Duelist.

I'm actually well in WvWvW with my Mesmer. Berserker, with plenty of power and the fury trait, wrecks havoc in large group battles, and I have three stealth abilities (decoy, stealth at 20% health trait, the invisibility wall) so they almost never catch me. Mesmer burst is surprisingly quite potent against other players, more than once I brought down other players from full health to zero when they get into greatsword range while I'm standing on the wall.

can someone explain how the whole 'scale down thing' works?

like if i run off to the other starter zones, i get nerfed, but would i get good exp? Or would the quests be hard but i get the same amount of exp as a 'recommended level'?

Kingbrave

can someone explain how the whole 'scale down thing' works?

like if i run off to the other starter zones, i get nerfed, but would i get good exp? Or would the quests be hard but i get the same amount of exp as a 'recommended level'?

I got good xp, in fact that's why I ran around them because I got tired of Dissea really quick.

Liberty4all

Banned
I normally play healer in my mmo's. I know there is no trinity in this game but which class would be the best support character (I like to buff friends, and heal the group while in combat)

They're working on getting more capacity in. Meanwhile, if you want a copy, you can still buy a physical box and it'll work fine.

I normally play healer in my mmo's. I know there is no trinity in this game but which class would be the best support character (I like to buff friends, and heal the group while in combat)
Guardian is probably your best bet.

"I normally play healer in my mmo's. I know there is no trinity in this game but which class would be the best support character (I like to buff friends, and heal the group while in combat)"

Guardian, Warrior, Elementalist

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Do you guys get on mumble a lot when doing other stuff? After the attempts to do the WvWvW stuff it's odd not to hear people talking. Maybe I should have my kiddo come down here and just talk...

My group is on mumble every night chatting about anything everything. It's our virtual chat room. You're more than welcome to join us of you feel like having folks to converse with.

So I finally got an e-mail from support about my hacked account ...

They give me the e-mail and password that the account was changed to.

I go to their website .... copy and paste the shit in .... "this e-mail does not belong to an account."

Are you fucking kidding me Arenanet? It took you 3 fucking days to simply tell me what they changed my e-mail to ... and then it isn't even correct?

God. Fuck you guys.

That's fucked up. Keep us up-to-date. Curious how this turns out.

Hoo-doo

Banned
So, is there any reason why the PvP just doesn't work? The server browser just shows me empty games and then spits out an error afterward.

Anyone else able to play the 5v5 PvP matches?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom