• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Torraz

Gah, I really want to dual wield 1H weapons as a Warrior but I feel they don't output near enough as much damage as a 2H Sword for example. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

I usually switch between three weapon sets, 2 x 1 hand and greatword. If I expect a bosss encounter I switch in a ranged weapon.

I have very much liked double 1H axe for massive AoE ppotential. Sword and offhand axe, as mentioned above, is also very fun. Mace in off hand is also good -it provides some nice stun and more survivability. Mace in main hand and shield in off hand seems to be max-survivability mode.

Cronnie

So I was running around with the Koreans today in WvW, those kids definitely know what they're doing.

I8suw.jpg
I'm liking the new server match-ups, a lot of back and forth battles with the Jade Quarry guys.

Hoo-doo

Banned
What faction did you guys join? I like the Durmand Priory the best, seeing as they are all about exploration, knowledge and discovery, but are there downsides to joining them as a Warrior? I don't want to find out in the end that they offer me some cloth robes or something.

Violet_0

Banned
could someone post screenshots of the the heritage armor sets?

What faction did you guys join? I like the Durmand Priory the best, seeing as they are all about exploration, knowledge and discovery, but are there downsides to joining them as a Warrior? I don't want to find out in the end that they offer me some cloth robes or something.

Order of Whispers is the only correct choice

putarorex

Crafting boosters are crazy if you have stocked up a lot of ingredients for your crafting skills. I went from level 60 to 66 in one hour raising my cooking by about 100 and my hunstman by 50 or so. The discovery xp you get can be tremendous.

J0dy77

Gah, I really want to dual wield 1H weapons as a Warrior but I feel they don't output near enough as much damage as a 2H Sword for example. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Feel exactly the same way. Sword and Axe is the closest I can get but the output is nowhere near the 2H sword or Rifle (for single target dps).

Torraz

Crafting boosters are crazy if you have stocked up a lot of ingredients for your crafting skills. I went from level 60 to 66 in one hour raising my cooking by about 100 and my hunstman by 50 or so. The discovery xp you get can be tremendous.

Those things you can get from the black lion chests?

"Gah, I really want to dual wield 1H weapons as a Warrior but I feel they don't output near enough as much damage as a 2H Sword for example. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?"

1H Swords are for condition damage builds, not direct damage.

I have very much liked double 1H axe for massive AoE ppotential. Sword and offhand axe, as mentioned above, is also very fun. Mace in off hand is also good -it provides some nice stun and more survivability. Mace in main hand and shield in off hand seems to be max-survivability mode.
I like mace/axe myself in PvE. You get a combination of solid AoE, a stun, a daze, and a block. Mobility is low, but you can always switch weapons.

vaelic

Banned
can someone answer this for me please? what do you do to trigger quests around heart npcs? ive been to several but none of them have anything for me to do which forces me to grind on mobs.

Raven77

Just got the game and I am LOVING it.

A few questions though, and pardon me cause I am a complete Guild Wars newb.

1. I'm lvl 6 and doing a few of my "Sylvari dream quests". At what point can I go where I want? I really just want to leave this area and explore.

2. Does this game have rested XP? If so, when am I "resting"?

3. If the world scales my level or I scale to the world, doesnt that take away some of the point in leveling? (not really complaining, just curious).

THANKS.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

1. I'm lvl 6 and doing a few of my "Sylvari dream quests". At what point can I go where I want? I really just want to leave this area and explore.

3. If the world scales my level or I scale to the world, doesnt that take away some of the point in leveling? (not really complaining, just curious).

THANKS.
1. Now.
3AQmK.gif
Find the Asura Gate in the Grove to Lion's Arch. From LA, you can take a Gate to any of the 5 major cities (but first explore Lion's Arch, because it's amazing).

2. No.

3. On the contrary, while you'll constantly be growing in power, skill, and capability (you don't even have the use of every key on the skill bar until level 30), the scaling means that you can go back to 1-15 zones at level 60 and they will still be relevant and get you XP.

edit: LOVE when a DE you haven't seen before pops in a zone you just happen to be in for some reason (Plains of Ashford in my case, the first zone I ever 100%ed)

scosher

THANKS.

Hawkian already answered, but to add, there is no rested XP, but the daily achievements give good experience (and are mostly completed while doing normal questing/exploring).

Level scaling only matters if the entire world is scaled down to your level, as in Oblivion. That ruins immersion. On the other hand, this game only scales YOUR level down (never up), which allows you to do earlier zones with friends or simply for XP.

Raven77

Hawkian, THANKS!!!

Any other advice anyone has for a newbie would be so so much appreciated. :)

Also, forgot to ask. Lets say I go into a zone that the game map says "45-50". Will I get creamed at lvl 6 or will it be "scaled"???

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
"Gah, I really want to dual wield 1H weapons as a Warrior but I feel they don't output near enough as much damage as a 2H Sword for example. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?"

1H Swords are for condition damage builds, not direct damage.
I know this is offtopic and probably have been answered a few times already, but why aren't you using the forum quote function?

Varna

3. If the world scales my level or I scale to the world, doesnt that take away some of the point in leveling? (not really complaining, just curious).[/B]

You only down level when in lower level areas. You still feel more powerful though. The combination of traits, more skills and better gear definitely make it much easier to clear.

Also, forgot to ask. Lets say I go into a zone that the game map says "45-50". Will I get creamed at lvl 6 or will it be "scaled"???

You only scale down.

is this game gonna be fun as someone who likes only single player RPG's vs MMO's?

For example, are there towns with houses you can go in and people going about their business and talking like in skyrim or risen/gothic etc?

What are the weapon setups for other Mesmers here looking like? At the moment I'm use Greatsword and Staff though I'm wondering if I should try something new for a while.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hawkian, THANKS!!!

Any other advice anyone has for a newbie would be so so much appreciated. :)
Newbie advice:
-Get gathering tools asap (you need an axe, a sickle, and a pickaxe). Gather ALL THE THINGS
-Do you Daily Achievements every day! 60 kills, 15 different things killed, 20 things gathered, and 5 events complete = huge chunk of xp, and a reward (I just got 3 silver, a mystic coin and a Black Lion salvage kit, aww yeah)
-If you want to get any kind of substantial XP from killing things, go way off the beaten path. The longer a creature has been alive, the more XP it is worth (displayed as bonus XP).
-Level difference is more important in this game than others; things 3 levels higher than you are typically veerrrrry tough to solo until you get much better at the combat.

You'll get massacred.
is this game gonna be fun as someone who likes only single player RPG's vs MMO's?

For example, are there towns with houses you can go in and people going about their business and talking like in skyrim or risen/gothic etc?
Actually, yes. Not to the extent of Skyrim of course, but even minor villages seem to have details like this.

This is strange. Apparently I need to put in my serial code, but there is no option for this anywhere on the game client or site/my account options.

How am I supposed to register this?

whats the general consensus on the value of the digital deluxe edition vs regular?

Summon Mistfire Wolf Elite Skill, an elite skill that summons a Mistfire Wolf

sounds good, is that fairly unique or do you get loads of summons in the game anyway?

Achtius

This is strange. Apparently I need to put in my serial code, but there is no option for this anywhere on the game client or site/my account options.

How am I supposed to register this?

I read somewhere here that u put it in the redeem code the the black lion trading company. not sure tho

KePoW

Banned
In WvW, is your armor supposed to degrade every time you die? I can't imagine why this would be... I have to constantly spend money to repair in pvp?

Please tell me I'm doing something wrong, cause otherwise it seems like a huge disincentive to pvp.

Torraz

Newbie advice:
-Get gathering tools asap (you need an axe, a sickle, and a pickaxe). Gather ALL THE THINGS
-Do you Daily Achievements every day! 60 kills, 15 different things killed, 20 things gathered, and 5 events complete = huge chunk of xp, and a reward (I just got 3 silver, a mystic coin and a Black Lion salvage kit, aww yeah)
-If you want to get any kind of substantial XP from killing things, go way off the beaten path. The longer a creature has been alive, the more XP it is worth (displayed as bonus XP).
-Level difference is more important in this game than others; things 3 levels higher than you are typically veerrrrry tough to solo until you get much better at the combat.

You'll get massacred.

Actually, yes. Not to the extent of Skyrim of course, but even minor villages seem to have details like this.

Didn't know that. Very useful, thanks.

Are there good crafting guides already? I know about the basic method of 2 parts + 1 insignia/other part and discover all the permutations.

Kunan

whats the general consensus on the value of the digital deluxe edition vs regular?
As someone who bought it? Meh. Also the mistfire wolf appears, does an attack and disappears for a 3 minute cooldown. I don't even use it now as ranger :( The best part was the hero's band lol

If the deluxe was only $10 more, yea, but you're better off buying $20 worth of gems and getting 2 bank upgrades and an inventory upgrade.

As someone who bought it? Meh. Also the mistfire wolf appears, does an attack and disappears for a 3 minute cooldown. I don't even use it now as ranger :( The best part was the hero's band lol

If the deluxe was only $10 more, yea, but you're better off buying $20 worth of gems and getting 2 bank upgrades and an inventory upgrade.

oh wow thanks, will save the $20 then, I would have loved to buy CE version for the artbook but $150 was too much to justify

Torraz

You got the hero's band with a pre-purchase of the normal GW 2.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Sold! I love the idea of picking starting story elements too...
My Personal Story has actually been pretty compelling, which sort of surprised me.

You sound like you might be someone who wants to do the following, too: in each zone, there will be a few scouts (telescope icon) who will sort of tell you a little bit about what's going on in the immediate area and why you should be helping out with the nearby hearts (basically area quests). When you've talked to all the scouts in a zone, you can kind of piece together the lore of that area in a cohesive way that really works for me. It's subtle but a really nice touch in my opinion.

i.e.: in my mind, Metrica Province isn't "the Asura newbie zone," but the area outside Rata Sum where aspiring Asura scientists and golemancers are trying to make a name for themselves while the Inquest are constantly attempting to steal or sabotage their work. Also there's a poorly maintained nuclear reactor in the corner.

Kunan

The main problem is the mistfire wolf, charr miniature and the hero's band are the only permanent items. The rest are consumables, and the banker disappears after 3 days.

This is all my opinion though. Someone else may justify its expense momentarily.

Also! If you do decide you want it, you can upgrade your account at any time to digital deluxe in the ingame store :)

You got the hero's band with a pre-purchase of the normal GW 2.
lmao

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
In WvW, is your armor supposed to degrade every time you die? I can't imagine why this would be... I have to constantly spend money to repair in pvp?

Please tell me I'm doing something wrong, cause otherwise it seems like a huge disincentive to pvp.
Haha, yes, you have to repair your armor in WvW. It's really best to think of WvW as the intersection of PvE and PvP. You can do dynamic events out there and get XP without ever encountering a human player.

Also it's incentive to stay alive longer ;)

You don't have to repair armor in sPvP.

I'm joking. If I have a seizure with all the meds I'm on I'd probably die right now!
I figured, but I'm sensitive about epileptics so I edited to link it.

does USA regular edition box contain any cool manual or anything or just game discs and piece of paper (like most modern games)?

Also, is there a recommended place to buy digital edition?

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
does USA regular edition box contain any cool manual or anything or just game discs and piece of paper (like most modern games)?

Also, is there a recommended place to buy digital edition?
Just the discs and a serial key. It's a really nice box though. ;)

My Personal Story has actually been pretty compelling, which sort of surprised me.

You sound like you might be someone who wants to do the following, too: in each zone, there will be a few scouts (telescope icon) who will sort of tell you a little bit about what's going on in the immediate area and why you should be helping out with the nearby hearts (basically area quests). When you've talked to all the scouts in a zone, you can kind of piece together the lore of that area in a cohesive way that really works for me. It's subtle but a really nice touch in my opinion.

i.e.: in my mind, Metrica Province isn't "the Asura newbie zone," but the area outside Rata Sum where aspiring Asura scientists and golemancers are trying to make a name for themselves while the Inquest are constantly attempting to steal or sabotage their work. Also there's a poorly maintained nuclear reactor in the corner.

oh thats very cool, yeah I like the idea of the background stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom