• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vitality/power is a solid balanced pick, no worries. For guardians especially, healing power and buff duration can be important since you can pump out a lot of both. Condition duration is another stat to consider.

Vitality improves your HP, which means a better ability to withstand large amounts of damage in a short time span. Toughness is better over a longer-term fight by reducing incoming damage. Investing in either is fine, you don't necessarily need both to be effective, but having one is a good idea.

Further, your trait points ultimately give relatively little in actual stats compared to your stat gear in the long run. Your main concern there is what traits you want to have.

See, all the traits seem half bad and half good.

Like, the Honor traitline gives me benefits when I crit, but I cant invest in Precision at all...

The traitline that gives +Power gives +Condition damage or something like that, but the only condition I deal on a regular basis is Burning. And it doesnt last THAT long.

Anyway thanks for the advice. I'll stick with Vit/Power. :)

inky

Vitality + Power for Great sword is great. Do that your main trees and put the rest on what you think would complement your character best: precision for attack damage thru crits, toughness for survivability, or buff your virtues for support. You can't go wrong.

Trying out a Guardian, and have been really enjoying him so far:

gw010vpk39.jpg

Actually thinking about making him my new main :X

Aeana

I'm so confused with which stats to pump considering my weapon loadout.

I play Guardian, and I use Greatsword + Sword/Torch (sometimes Shield). Right now I am only doing PVE so I've been using +Vitality and +Power gear. Meanwhile I am leveling Honor which gives a nice bonus to Vitality.

I'm level 17 with 2245 HP, not sure how good that is.

I like the mob control that Greatsword has. And Sword/Torch allows for a bit of support while also dishing out some good 1v1 damage.

Am I putting my trait points into the right thing, or is there a better option? What about my stats? Should I continue to focus on Vitality/Power, or does Vitality mean nothing if I lack high toughness?
I would just say to not ignore toughness. You don't necessarily have to go for it with traits, but in that case, don't skimp on it on your gear. It really matters quite a lot, at least in my experience.

I would just say to not ignore toughness. You don't necessarily have to go for it with traits, but in that case, don't skimp on it on your gear. It really matters quite a lot, at least in my experience.

I don't plan on ignoring Toughness. Just making Vit/Pow my big 2.

Vitality + Power for Great sword is great. Do that your main trees and put the rest on what you think would complement your character best: precision for attack damage thru crits, toughness for survivability, or buff your virtues for support. You can't go wrong.

Alright. Sounds good. I'll probably go with buffing virtues.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I think i'm finally seeing the blurry text Aena was talking about. EDIT: Nope it isn't, AA isn't even on in this screenshot.

Funny screenshot though, I died so much one of my story missions that every single piece of my armor was destroyed. I ended up killing the last guy in my underwear. :D

Zeliard

Without FXAA:

H6jLg.png

With FXAA:

riA0c.png

If you don't see a difference, well, cool I guess.

FXAA is awful. Modifying graphical options in the menu goes into effect immediately; just turn FXAA on and off and you can very clearly see the difference in texture detail. It's blur-o-vision.

I honestly thought this was a joke, because at first glance they appear totally identical. Then I figure, maybe it's because Im looking at it from 9 feet away on a 42 inch tv, so I pull it up on my phone, and then I see the difference, but it's so minimal as to be a complete joke anyway. Destroys the text indeed, I can barely read it with the FXAA on! Its like an N64 underwater! Oh gosh!
You need a new monitor or new eyes. The difference is gigantic.

Hoo-doo

Banned
FXAA is awful. Modifying graphical options in the menu goes into effect immediately; just turn FXAA on and off and you can very clearly see the difference in texture detail. It's blur-o-vision.

How come when I disable the AA, the text is still fuzzy? Look at my screenshot above, it's taken with no AA at all.

FXAA is a trade-off if your system cannot handle Supersampling and you cannot stand jaggies. FXAA is terrible when combined with Supersampling, however.

Audioboxer

Going to play a ranger, at the end of the day if ArenaNet is like every other MMO developer, they'll be balance fixes/changes. They should end up making pets less shite, and fix the ranger longbow to be better (IMO shortbow is simply better for PVE).

How long we have to wait, who knows, but I'm not going to be levelling that quickly anyway due to time constraints. Probably won't hit 30 (that's first dungeon level right?) for a week +.

Hoo-doo

Banned
FXAA is a trade-off if your system cannot handle Supersampling and you cannot stand jaggies. FXAA is terrible when combined with Supersampling, however.

Overriding the settings of the application with RadeonPro or ATI Catalyst with other forms of AA will give me a completely white screen with every setting i've tried, so sadly i'm currently all out of options.

Izayoi

Banned
So we still don't have a solution to the AA problem?

Come on, ANet. Native support for supersampling is a start, but no regular AA options aside from FXAA is ridiculous.

By itself, supersampling does not get rid of the jaggies. Not by a long shot. Some kind of regular AA is needed to go with it.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Trading post is up for me, anybody else?

edit: omg I made money from stuff I sold. This could get addictive real fast.

khefka

Neo Member
I don't understand the 'why rush to 80' discussion. It almost makes more sense to do that since the whole game scales. I don't have any interest in doing that, but I can see why others would.

Sucks. :(

I'm still rocking the heritage armor skin, since level 1 (now 35). Love it! Only downside is that I'm so comfortable with how my character looks that my gear stats are way, way behind.
Why would your stats be behind? You can keep transmuting newer armor with heritage skins if that's what you like since it is free.

Dreavus

Sucks. :(

I'm still rocking the heritage armor skin, since level 1 (now 35). Love it! Only downside is that I'm so comfortable with how my character looks that my gear stats are way, way behind.

Heritage is the best light armor skin in the game. From what I've seen, anyways. I always find myself porting back to the Eye of the North whenever I get an upgrade. Unfortunately, that doesn't give me much to look forward to..

Varna

I don't understand the 'why rush to 80' discussion. It almost makes more sense to do that since the whole game scales. I don't have any interest in doing that, but I can see why others would.

I guess people feel like they are wasting their time if they aren't getting max level loot. I kind of understand, I wish Anet had an equipment system that was more about unique items for different builds then just the basic mmo loot.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Being able to place orders and fulfill them is the best part of the trading post. It's really great to get some guaranteed cash for things I know I'm not going to use.

Just made 1g 44s unloading leatherworking supplies!

Jobacca

Neo Member
Being able to place orders and fulfill them is the best part of the trading post. It's really great to get some guaranteed cash for things I know I'm not going to use.

Don't have the game yet. Can you explain the trading post? Is it essentially the auction house?

nickcv

k guys i bought the game yesterday and i absolutely love it.

later this week i'll try to find a copy for my bf as well (wish me luck)

problem is that we want to play 2 different races but at the same time we'd like to play together.

at what level do the zone mix? or are them tied to a race up to level 80?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
k guys i bought the game yesterday and i absolutely love it.

later this week i'll try to find a copy for my bf as well (wish me luck)

problem is that we want to play 2 different races but at the same time we'd like to play together.

at what level do the zone mix? or are them tied to a race up to level 80?
You can play with each other at level 1. Enjoy.

eek5

Don't have the game yet. Can you explain the trading post? Is it essentially the auction house?

Basically there are two systems at play:

Sell: You can list items to sell and set the price you want.
Buy: You can list items to buy and set the price you want to pay.

People selling stuff can either list their price or sell immediately to the highest buy offer.
People buying stuff can either list a buy offer or buy immediately from the lowest sell offer.

etiolate

Banned
Those are exactly the problems I'm having.

Good to know I'm not alone.

Yeah, I've had that issue a few times. One part of Rata Sum would do weird things to my camera.

I also get a ton of clipping issues with my Asuran Mesmer's robes and greatswords.

nickcv

Basically there are two systems at play:

Sell: You can list items to sell and set the price you want.
Buy: You can list items to buy and set the price you want to pay.

People selling stuff can either list their price or sell immediately to the highest buy offer.
People buying stuff can either list a buy offer or buy immediately from the lowest sell offer.

is it cross-server?

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
what about the personal story? and how do i get to whatever region my bf is in?

Personal Story I believe is solo. (Correction, you can have up to 5 people)

Your home city has a gate that leads to an area with gates to all the other starting cities.

KingKong

No money. And I don't think it's worth the cost compared to what I currently have, unless there's some secret set bonus?

I'd save my karma points, they might rebalance the costs since they get so crazy at higher levels

and yeah there's no point in getting it before level 80, you'll just outlevel it

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
what about the personal story? and how do i get to whatever region my bf is in?
You can join each other in your personal stories; you can't make progress at the same time though.

To get to each other, in the main city for your race there will be an Asura Gate (big purple portal) to Lion's Arch (awesome, beautiful, central city). From Lion's Arch, there are Asura Gates to all the major racial cities where you can meet up.

I 100%ed Gandarran fields, starting at level 25, and while it's marked as a 25-35 zone I finished as level 30. That means 100% of all the content in that zone will only take you 5 levels up, probably less.

What am I doing wrong? I'm not looking forward to repeating the same stuff over and over again just to get to a new zone. :(
I can see why people are grinding Dolyaks. If I could just level up faster I think my issues with the repetitiveness would go away. Still loving the game, just exploring the world is incredible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom