• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

inky

Goes without saying, but of course Dungeons involve people from the world too, and tie all the personal storylines together, you just get at them from different places. For example, Cadeceus features prominently in my specific storyline, then it continues and finishes that particular branch in the dungeon.

Raxum

GAF Guild, we're getting hammered in WvW lately. Lets pick it up. My guildies can't do everything. :)

When I was playing last night (in Ausland) there was a massive queue for EB all night, and then I tried queueing for one of the borderlands and insta-queued any one I selected, all of which were getting absolutely hammered by JQ. We really need to pick up our game there a little and get people going to the borderlands as well as EB.

Ferrio

Banned
When I was playing last night (in Ausland) there was a massive queue for EB all night, and then I tried queueing for one of the borderlands and insta-queued any one I selected, all of which were getting absolutely hammered by JQ. We really need to pick up our game there a little and get people going to the borderlands as well as EB.

I always go to borderlands. Best thing is just queue up for them all, go into whatever is open first.

Ghost23

So I heard that the Norn storyline is somewhat dull. Would the same thing be said for the humans? I was planning on going Sylvari, but I'm not really a fan of the whole "tree" look anymore, so I think I'll start with a normal human.

KingKong

So I heard that the Norn storyline is somewhat dull. Would the same thing be said for the humans? I was planning on going Sylvari, but I'm not really a fan of the whole "tree" look anymore, so I think I'll start with a normal human.

Its pretty boring so far (level 42), I started just skipping the cutscenes because theyre so bad. The missions are below average to OK, there havent been any great ones yet and I have a lot more fun doing dynamic events with big groups

Ghost23

Its pretty boring so far (level 42), I started just skipping the cutscenes because theyre so bad. The missions are below average to OK, there havent been any great ones yet and I have a lot more fun doing dynamic events with big groups

That's disappointing to hear. Maybe I will stick with the sylvari.

Raxum

I always go to borderlands. Best thing is just queue up for them all, go into whatever is open first.

Yeah that's pretty much my plan from now on, still gotta explore 2 more of the borderlands anyway so I probably should do that. We were getting zerged hardcore on stormbluff borderlands last night though and there were barely any people at the 2 castle/towers we had. It was kind of depressing being on the defending side of that. I wonder if it might've been something to do with server area population, like JQ now having more people on during my play-time than we do or something.

That's disappointing to hear. Maybe I will stick with the sylvari.

I can say about the same for the humans. The dialogue is, IMO, awful, and the story feels weak. The missions themselves are pretty routine "Talk to this person/Help defend x against waves of y/slay x" tasks. The only reason I do my story missions is because of the rewards, which are typically pretty nice as long as you're keeping up level-wise.

Ferrio

Banned
Yeah that's pretty much my plan from now on, still gotta explore 2 more of the borderlands anyway so I probably should do that. We were getting zerged hardcore on stormbluff borderlands last night though and there were barely any people at the 2 castle/towers we had. It was kind of depressing being on the defending side of that. I wonder if it might've been something to do with server area population, like JQ now having more people on during my play-time than we do or something.

You can tell if it's unbalanced, you'll have a buff to make up for server population imbalances.

Maybe the stories get better later on. Everything I've seen regardless of race has been awful. It suffers from the usual video game aimless dialogue syndrome. Nobody would read this shit if it was a comic book or something.

At least as a Norn you get to hang out with Eir a lot.

I think the storylines merge into the same storyline halfway through. Because the things I'm doing right now aren't really norn related. I think you get 3 seperate personal story arcs mattering on your choices (one arc for each choice), then goes into the main storyline. The norn hangover personal story was pretty amusing.

Spookie

I think the storylines merge into the same storyline halfway through.

Yeah it goes two personal choices (as a human: commoner, never joined circus) followed by an introduction to the three factions then your faction quest then they rejoin again later on for the final storyline. Each fork and final set of quests still have decisions to make which will change some of the missions that you do.

Raxum

You can tell if it's unbalanced, you'll have a buff to make up for server population imbalances.

Ah damn, I didn't know that, is it for imbalances in each are of the WvW? I'll have to look out for it next time I get into WvW instantly.

Ferrio

Banned
Ah damn, I didn't know that, is it for imbalances in each are of the WvW? I'll have to look out for it next time I get into WvW instantly.

I don't know how it exactly works. I doubt it's based on how many are in the borderland at a time. I just remember in beta when we were on hedge, we all had a buff for being the tiny shitty server.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
This game is quite pretty.

4B9D1E866D5E58586C05D7F1581174C420A04BAF

Raxum

I don't know how it exactly works. I doubt it's based on how many are in the borderland at a time. I just remember in beta when we were on hedge, we all had a buff for being the tiny shitty server.

Ah damn, then I doubt we'd get it on Stormbluff, because we're a pretty high population server.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Not really sure what to do with the TP, i've made like 3g just selling mats so far, but I'm really not sure what to buy... Should I stockpile 2nd-tier mats while they're cheap now? (like silver/iron ore, the 2nd tier leather/yarn stuff, no idea what it's called) Dyes?

Does anyone with solid ingame-economy knowledge have any insider knowledge on what's generally "overpriced" and what's "underprices" atm? I've been selling Small Totems, Small Claws, Bone Shards and Vials of Thin blood (and their tier1 equivalents, tiny etc) for maaaaaaad money, so that's probably way overpriced atm, but what's underpriced and should be bought?

Quoting myself for hopefully an answer :x

KingKong

Man, DEs suck with a few people. In Dredgenaut Cliffs, thrres some event to close a portal, but 5+ harpies spawn every minute snd kill the NPC in seconds, and bu the time we kill them and revive, more spawn and kill her again

Ferrio

Banned
Man, DEs suck with a few people. In Dredgenaut Cliffs, thrres some event to close a portal, but 5+ harpies spawn every minute snd kill the NPC in seconds, and bu the time we kill them and revive, more spawn and kill her again

Most of them scale pretty well. I've done DE's solo with no prob.

khefka

Neo Member
I found "Silver" as like my second dye ever, good find.
I found cobalt as one of my first dyes, looks really good on heavy armor.

What? Trident and Guardian is amazing.
I love trident but only recently found a good spear, been loving the jab-jab-jab of the 2 skill.

Those are runes. They're set bonuses. So you have 3 armor pieces with that rune, you'd gain 1,2 and 3 benefits.
I could swear I've found a piece of armor with a rune yet none of the attributes were lit up, was kind of confusing.

Quoting myself for hopefully an answer :x
Curious about this, also not really sure what to sell of the items I have stored in bank. Are most people stripping worthwhile runes first then selling the equipment? Does the suggested price take into account the rune on it already?

Deitus

I could swear I've found a piece of armor with a rune yet none of the attributes were lit up, was kind of confusing.

Yeah, that confused me as well at first. Basically, if you don't have it equipped it will show 0/x, unless you have another item with the same rune equipped. Once you equip it it will show 1/x.

Artanisix

Jesus omg. Doing WvW with all your utility spells unlocked and at max level is so, so fun. Small skirmishes are the best, I love playing my Warrior. Baiting out 2 dodges and then locking an enemy down with bull charge -> bola shot -> whatever the hell the rampage greatsword 2nd skill is is so, so satisfying. I kill mesmers and elementalists in one shot with it.

Currently using greatsword and sword/shield in WvW, I have a huge amount of mobility and crowd control with this setup. With the 5 second weapon swap perk, I can get around so fast and do so much damage.

Arcteryx

The Norn one(up to lvl ~36) is quite boring. The Sylvari one seems to be the best so far, but like you I don't particularly like the looks of them.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I found cobalt as one of my first dyes, looks really good on heavy armor.

I love trident but only recently found a good spear, been loving the jab-jab-jab of the 2 skill.

Curious about this, also not really sure what to sell of the items I have stored in bank. Are most people stripping worthwhile runes first then selling the equipment? Does the suggested price take into account the rune on it already?

I use trident because of the kiting. I love Guardian long range.

Nah, don't have Mumble installed. Googling it reveals a fair few cases of random crashes to desktop but they mostly seem to revolve around low amounts of RAM and running in a 32-bit OS, neither of which are applicable to this computer. It's a really strange crash - just an instant black screen, monitor says nothing is detected, fans still running, keyboard doesn't do anything (not that I'd bve able to see it if the monitor's detecting nothing, but caps/num/scroll lock lights etc. don't flash on/off). Only way out is a press of reset.

PC gaming is a pretty new thing for me (this PC's only ten days old) so I guess I'll start trying to disable individual bits of software and see if something's decided not to play nice.

The weird thing is that I got an hour's play in after work, then a crash, then the instant crashes every time I pressed Play from log-in. I have no idea what could have suddenly changed at, like, 5:50pm today whilst I was just minding my own business in Queensdale.

Whoa, you're playing on 10 year old hardware?

BrettWeir

Holy hell at the cooking guides out there. I went 1 - 400 cooking in less than an hour. Jump on it before the karma ingredient costs increase (just figuring that they will).

I guarantee Monk class will be in an expansion.

And when it comes out, I may reroll. Monks are awesome <3

I will probably reroll and main Monk. I loved Monk in GW1. The problem is, obviously being a light class what sort of dynamic will monk have to have? Straight heals are not part of the GW2 methodology, and hand-to-hand combat would suck with light armour professions.

Piecake

Can you link these guides please?

Yea, googled a few, but wanna make sure that i follow the best(cheapest) one.

Ill probably 'actually' level cooking later once I have all the mats, but ill level it for my alt like this since, well, why not? Didnt know what else to have him craft since fine mats are so stupidly rare I really didnt want my alt competing with my main for fine mats

woah - that cooking stuff is crazy - do you guys think it would cheapen my gw2 experience if i tried out the 1-400 cooking guide on my first character?

Piecake

woah - that cooking stuff is crazy - do you guys think it would cheapen my gw2 experience if i tried out the 1-400 cooking guide on my first character?

Might a little, but you downlevel, so as long as you go through all the zones that you would have done before, all it will do is make the game a bit easier for you - not cheapen it though. Ive died in a zone where ive been down-leveled

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom