• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
One thing I really like about sword for thieves: The #2 skill is the only weapon-based stun-breaker I know of. Great for being hyper mobile too, which is my preferred thief strategy. I almost never stealth.

Stealth is only viable in builds that make use of it. Just throwing out stealth is stupid and pointless.

Ferrio

Banned
One thing I really like about sword for thieves: The #2 skill is the only weapon-based stun-breaker I know of. Great for being hyper mobile too, which is my preferred thief strategy. I almost never stealth.

That skill too some adjustment last night. Couple of times I went to 2 again to catch someone... and teleported WAAAAAY back "FUCKKKKKK!" Also wish you could teleport back ontop of objects like keeps.

Only other complain about swords is how the 3 skill keeps you locked down even if it whiffs... and I've had people roll out of it after the first hit and you just sit there like an idiot.

Also tried the dagger spin move the other night... that thing is fucking deadly.

I think the most fun I had last night was just taunting the shit outta a group of 4 people last night in WvWvW. I'd come in attack one of them, and they'd all hunt my ass down... I'd teleport around waving at them... they'd chase me.... stealth/teleport away and dance for them. Was hilarious. At one point I led them into a guard and almost killed them.

Jack_AG

Banned
"I don't want to get down on anyone or offend anyone for using one - but there is no way you can be as effective as a kb/m user. This is also coming from someone who has 3 different controllers and a gaming keypad for his pc - matter of fact - I don't even use a typing keyboard to play any PC game."

As effective as a KB/M user, no. Does it matter in PvE? Not really, the PvE is either pretty braindead simple or instagibs players randomly, so it doesn't really matter if you're at a disadvantage or not.
It does matter in PvE. If youre the reason for a wipe because you purposefully put yourself at a disadvantage - then, yes, it matters.

And no - its not braindead simple. 6 months from now everyone will be playing the game differently. Nobody "gets it" just yet. Gameplay will remain largely unchanged but the way people approch it will be wildly different.

I thought the same thing my first BWE - then I actually payed attention once... once... and that changed my perspective on encounters.

My only beef is not being able to see an animation due to so much zerg.

diffusionx

Gold Member
What weapon sets are elementalists liking? I took a shining to scepter/focus in PVP but think I will stick with the staff in PVE. I'm still experimenting though...

Artanisix

As effective as a KB/M user, no. Does it matter in PvE? Not really, the PvE is either pretty braindead simple or instagibs players randomly, so it doesn't really matter if you're at a disadvantage or not.

I hate how stupid some of the PVE can be. In a way it makes me wish that the trinity was still there in some form.

Jack_AG

Banned
"Man you're a downer. "

I'm not going to lie about it.
Opinions aren't fact, Tekno. Being a mod you should be able to grasp such a simple... nay... exceedingly simple concept.

Red name spewing opinions != fact. Just because you don't see some gameplay concepts unfold in the gamespace does not mean they don't exist.

It just means youre not paying attention.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
It does matter in PvE. If youre the reason for a wipe because you purposefully put yourself at a disadvantage - then, yes, it matters.
You, Tekno, and I are clearly all looking at this different ways.

I don't know if you've tried it but this is incredibly unlikely. Indeed, for me, I am now much more skilled at maneuvering and timing my skills with my pad than my keyboard and mouse. I have no doubt that a high-level PvP player using a gamepad would be at a disadvantage against a KB/M player of essentially equal skill. However, after the learning curve, I am very confident that in PvE it is not a liability (or at least, it is not one to any degree that would put a team in jeopardy more than the skill of the individual player would).
I hate how stupid some of the PVE can be. In a way it makes me wish that the trinity was still there in some form.
Hooo boy no. I would much much rather the content remain what you consider to be stupid than to have to ask for a healer ever again.

"Red name spewing opinions != fact. Just because you don't see some gameplay concepts unfold in the gamespace does not mean they don't exist."

If you can be successful in PvE without having to see those gameplay concepts unfold then they might as well not exist.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
If you can be successful in PvE without having to see those gameplay concepts unfold then they might as well not exist.
Wow, prior to this I just though you were being hyperbolic and negative without essentially being wrong in any capacity, but this is borderline nonsense. You can make it through the entirety of Dark Souls without ever getting within sword-swinging range of an enemy; that doesn't mean melee combat in that game might as well not exist. It's incredibly enjoyable, worthwhile, and compelling for a large number of people playing the same game.
NeoGAF is a large gaming community of which we are but a small part of.
...come on guys. who wrote that

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
If you want to succeed in PvE then just avoid any Boss with "fire" in its name.

You're able to hold the Back (select) button to get temporary pointer control or click in the right stick to toggle it.

Is it easy to config the hotkey file? I don't use the 360 controller and I don't use the config all of you guys use. Because I'm a menace. So I would need to edit the file to activate the feature upon a different key press.

"Wow, prior to this I just though you were being hyperbolic and negative without essentially being wrong in any capacity, but this is borderline nonsense. You can make it through the entirety of Dark Souls without ever getting within sword-swinging range of an enemy; that doesn't mean melee combat in that game might as well not exist."

Uh, your analogy doesn't really apply to what I said. It's not even remotely similar. To be honest, I'm not sure exactly what gameplay concepts Jack_AG is talking about, but I'm assuming he's not talking about something so simple as melee or ranged combat.

zlatko

Banned
At what level will I see my first dungeon or group instance?

I'm level 19 right now and still doing the 2nd area for humans. (Forget the name..Kessex Hills or something) Got a fair amount left to do there still, but was just curious when I'll get to experience the group portion of the game content.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
If you want to succeed in PvE then just avoid any Boss with "fire" in its name.

Is it easy to config the hotkey file? I don't use the 360 controller and I don't use the config all of you guys use. Because I'm a menace. So I would need to edit the file to activate the feature upon a different key press.
Sure:

F8 is the "hold": Pick something you wouldn't mind holding down to get mouse control, then reset when you let go
F7 is the "toggle": Pick something you'd want to press once to get mouse control, then press again to give it up

Instead of making any changes to the AHK file, you can just add these bindings to your config somewhere to make it compatible with the script.

Jack_AG

Banned
"Red name spewing opinions != fact. Just because you don't see some gameplay concepts unfold in the gamespace does not mean they don't exist."

But you spoke earlier of being insta-gibbed... which means you are not successful... which means youre not paying attention.

So which is it? Easy and brainless or watch what is going on so you don't get lit up? Can't be both, Tekno.

Pick one of your comments and stick with it. You can't claim both as true.

I'm officially losing interest in the game. I might play it from time to time when I'm bored but I just don't feel a motivation to go any further. In fact, I'm even going to return my G13 to Amazon :(

zulfate

I'm officially losing interest in the game. I might play it from time to time when I'm bored but I just don't feel a motivation to go any further. In fact, I'm even going to return my G13 to Amazon :(

:( is it the 50-80 leveling content...it drags once you unlock all the skills you need. Nothing to really look for but i am still having fun.

Jack_AG

Banned
Damn. Keep that G13 if you still PC game tho... its too useful to let go. Sorry its not working out for you tho.

th3dude

At what level will I see my first dungeon or group instance?

I'm level 19 right now and still doing the 2nd area for humans. (Forget the name..Kessex Hills or something) Got a fair amount left to do there still, but was just curious when I'll get to experience the group portion of the game content.

Group instances start at 30.

As for dynamic events, I've been part of some rather large group events and I'm only 22 so far.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
But you spoke earlier of being insta-gibbed... which means you are not successful... which means youre not paying attention.

So which is it? Easy and brainless or watch what is going on so you don't get lit up? Can't be both, Tekno.

He's saying the PvE is only either one or the other.

I would disagree in that I have found quite a bit of content challenging, non-random, and extremely enjoyable; my runs through Ascalon Catacombs so far would be one very good example.

"But you spoke earlier of being insta-gibbed... which means you are not successful... which means youre not paying attention.

Pick one of your comments and stick with it. You can't claim both as true."

I said it ranges from being very easy to being insta-gibbed. Others have agreed about the poor tuning with some encounters and their spikes of difficulty.

A good example: The Risen Priest of Balthazar. Pretty simple encounter mechanically, you just DPS the boss, however he spawns banners that do instant kill AOE as well as large radius (at least 1200 range or more) fear. If you are lucky, he may not have placed them in such a way that you'll get feared directly into it. Not everyone will be that lucky. There are some instances where he'll position several of them in a way that you don't even have a chance of moving away from the banners to prevent getting feared directly into them. This isn't something you can avoid by "paying attention."

I absolutely can claim both as true, because the game does not consist of a single encounter.

CAW

Lower level Ranger and still using throwing axes. I've seen others with Bows, are they just a drop or from a vendor or something?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Lower level Ranger and still using throwing axes. I've seen others with Bows, are they just a drop or from a vendor or something?
Did you just ask that in game?
KuGsj.gif

Shanlei91

Sure:

F8 is the "hold": Pick something you wouldn't mind holding down to get mouse control, then reset when you let go
F7 is the "toggle": Pick something you'd want to press once to get mouse control, then press again to give it up

Instead of making any changes to the AHK file, you can just add these bindings to your config somewhere to make it compatible with the script.
I'll try it when I get home, thanks! This may be my sore thumb's savior.

The original Guild Wars was more a thinking man's kind of game, setting up your arsenal of attacks attuned to what you were going to face and then reacting with the right skill at the right time.

Guild Wars 2 is instead all about management of character placement. Dodge this, step away from that, etc. Unfortunately, the PvE mobs are not smart enough to react accordingly and kind of just sit there and let you pound into them. Then, everyone once in a while, a boss comes by and one shots you. It's like the developer's idea of "difficult" is random bosses having the ability to wipe everyone.

To spice things up, I sometimes use the guardian's greatsword pull 5 attack to bring in about 3+ mobs onto me. They can't one shot me, and I actually have to put effort to take them all out without killing me. This is how I get my kicks.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
I agree with Tekno. PvE can be a cakewalk but bullshit bosses like the Metrica reactor's Fire Elemental feed on your tears and repair money.

It spawns fire aoe fields under downed players. Really, now?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
hah. I just killed a couple Skritt using only touchscreen controls. I AM THE KING OF UNCONVENTIONAL GW2 CONTROL METHODS

Violet_0

Banned
Quoting for next page. Hoping to do TA after dinner and considering I hear some bosses are difficult, would really like some tips before hand :)

I ran through TA twice

get condition removals, the poison in this dungeon is deadly. Always, always revive each other whenever it is safe to do so.

big spider boss - DON'T fight in the corridor with the poisonous plants. Keep her inside the room she spawns in
second champion - run in circles (preferably as a group) around the boss, focus fire him, ignore and kite the summoned spiders, revive fallen group members only when you don't draw aggro from the spiders
the first waypoints unlocks after the spider boss
final boss - decide the order in which you take down the ghosts (we did Eir > Rytlock > ...), then stop the boss from reviving every time you kill a boss

erragal

Its both. Overall strategy in GW2 pve is limited as the game intentionally avoids creating situations for teamwork to avoid the concepts of beneficial team compositions; everyones survivability is their own responsibility and the only shared task is dealing enough damage.

On the flip side you have countless high damage abilities in the game that have miniscule animation windows to avoid or are poorly distinguished from the mass of colors/particle effects that occur in those fights. So yes you can be paying attention and still get insta killed.

What makes it even easier/brainless is that once you do figure out which tiny animation/indistinguishable particle effect you must avoid there's little else to do in a given fight. Roll around, execute your abilities properly and then you're done.

Anyone that's completed a challenging raid level encounter from a game like wow or Rift is going to be completely disinterested in the shallowness of the pve game in GW2; it lacks the depth of encounter design high end pve players are interested in. In fact many og SWTORs 5 man dungeons had more progressive encounters than GW2.

Pepple that engage in team based pve content actually want team based gameplay... you can do it without having a dedicated healer/tank but then you need to create new mechanics that require teamwork. Ostensibly the revive from down concept is what people will cite as a mechanic, but it is inherently anti fun because its reactive and not preventative therefore it is not planned strategy. Add to the propensity for aoe effects to be placed under downed people and it just becomes frustrating.

edit: Teknos post reminded me of being chain feared in Twilight Arbor for up to 5 seconds at a time... and not just one group member at once. How is that a reasonably designed mechanic at all?

On another note your tone is way too aggressive for an opinion that is pretty widely held; anyone with a good background in pve cooperative play is very critical of GW2's shallow pve game.

Shanlei91

On another note your tone is way too aggressive for an opinion that is pretty widely held; anyone with a good background in pve cooperative play is very critical of GW2's shallow pve game.
I dunno, I love not having to rely on other people and being self-sufficient. Makes me feel like a big shot when I can hold my own and go around reviving people / keeping them afloat.

Also, my fortune cookie today is pro Guild Wars 2 pve.
eJEPi.jpg

It might also mean that the Trading Post will be down today.

Violet_0

Banned
I for one really enjoy the lack of dedicated tanks and healers, but then my only previous MMO experience was WoW so what do I know

Ken

Karma gear in Orr costs 42k per piece from the 5 temples.

"Any tips on gearing at level 80, like where and what to buy? Still using level 60 stuff and I should hit 80 tomorrow."

Get buddy-buddy with people who have 400 crafting for the gear you need. Be prepared to grind a lot, good level 80 gear isn't cheap nor quickly acquired. Temporarily you can settle for auction house greens + Ruby/Sapphire/Opal/etc. Orb upgrades to give you decent stats.

What is considered good level 80 gear? I see a bunch of exotics on the AH with a bunch of (1)(2)(3) stats; are those from 400 crafting?

Is there any good source of money at 80 like running certain instances/repeatables.

How much do level 400 foods go for in the auction house? I know cooking doesn't pay off as well as Jewelry and other fields, but can you still make decent coin?

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
What is considered good level 80 gear? I see a bunch of exotics on the AH with a bunch of (1)(2)(3) stats; are those from 400 crafting?

At lvl 80 all armor is essentially the same. It's just a matter of looks.

erragal

I dunno, I love not having to rely on other people and being self-sufficient. Makes me feel like a big shot when I can hold my own and go around reviving people / keeping them afloat.

Also, my fortune cookie today is pro Guild Wars 2 pve.
eJEPi.jpg

It might also mean that the Trading Post will be down today.

But why have it be a dedicated group activity at all? They could have made all the dungeons world available dynamic events and scale the numbers and they'd have the same personal difficulty. The whole purpose of team based pve gameplay is to create team reliances that require meaningful timing/coordination.

Ken

At lvl 80 all armor is essentially the same. It's just a matter of looks.

Not sure I believe this after poking around in the TP.

Anyways, not figure out what role I want to play yet is going to make gearing up difficult lol. Can't decide if I want to stick with my burning sword build or go back to a healing/support build.

"What is considered good level 80 gear? I see a bunch of exotics on the AH with a bunch of (1)(2)(3) stats; are those from 400 crafting?"

They could be crafted with a rune applied. There's a noticeable difference between a character with level 80 blues/greens/yellows and a level 80 character in exotics. There's actually a significant stat jump between rare and exotic. You can somewhat make up the difference by applying Jewels to year gear, but that only puts you up to around the amount of stats as a character in exotics without upgrades at all.

"How much do level 400 foods go for in the auction house? I know cooking doesn't pay off as well as Jewelry and other fields, but can you still make decent coin?"

Not much, because everyone has level 400 cooking. I'd like to tell you the exact number some of the higher level food are going for right now, but the TP is down.

"At lvl 80 all armor is essentially the same. It's just a matter of looks."

Absolutely not.

inky

Is there any good source of money at 80 like running certain instances/repeatables.

All lvl80 gear for each tier (masterwork, rare, exotic) should have the same stats number-wise within that tier, it's more about the runes you put in, or the specific stats you want to buff. And looks of course. Exotic numbers are going to be higher than green armor ones so you'll want a full set of that eventually.

arimanius

Damn, I've played most mmorpgs since OU and raided since EQ but apparently I don't have a good background in pve cooperative play. :(

How much do level 400 foods go for in the auction house? I know cooking doesn't pay off as well as Jewelry and other fields, but can you still make decent coin?

I have yet to find a way to make $ with jewelery, seems like everyone is selling their accessories for 1 copper above NPC price

kidko

I'm running an Arms/Discipline warrior with the seals as my skills.

I have the Deep Strike arms talent that gives me crit % for every passive seal I have. This gives me around 91% crit chance. Then every point in Disc ups my Crit damage.

So far I'm melting faces.

omg awesome I'm going to try this with my Norn Warrior princess who I also adore :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom