• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuart444

That's a real shame. TA is really not that hard with a good group. I wish I was in the mood for a dungeon today, as I would join you.

I'm not on the Gaf server :/ I wish dungeons were cross server so I could just invite you and then we could go in. (HoD server here - ty for the kind of offer though :p )

My guild isn't that busy til prime time American so until then, I have a lot of people who aren't of the level so all I am left with is my gf who hasn't done this before either and pugs that are very hit and miss.

Still won't do another dungeon (even if I get to level 60) til TA is done.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I'm not on the Gaf server :/ I wish dungeons were cross server so I could just invite you and then we could go in. (HoD server here - ty for the kind of offer though :p )

My guild isn't that busy til prime time American so until then, I have a lot of people who aren't of the level so all I am left with is my gf who hasn't done this before either and pugs that are very hit and miss.

Still won't do another dungeon (even if I get to level 60) til TA is done.

I know the feeling. I'm the same way. That's a real shame.

bogg

We were near the end of one of the dungeons (can't remember which one, it's pretty crappy).
I guess we will have to do it all over again? sigh.

Artanisix

It makes sense because you get gear in dungeons equal to your current level. So going into a dungeon wearing lvl 35 items and expecting lvl 80 gear is ridiculous. In theory you wouldn't have to worry about incremental gear upgrades at all. You'd just hit this dungeon for a huge upgrade at the end.

I'm wearing level 69-75 gear. I'm not wearing level 35 gear. My stats are still shit when downleveled. It's definitely ridiculous.

Right, and I gave you my explanation why that makes sense. The dungeon rewards you with your current level type gear. So if you're going to receive rewards based on that, then you should be held accountable for your current gear in relation to your level. Not to mention the dungeon experience isn't suppose to change much as you level up. If you're wearing underleveled gear in relation to your level it should hurt your progress no matter what level you truely are.

That's just not right, though. If you were level 40, did CM, then crafted to 80 (which is totally viable according to anet), then did CM again, you would be totally useless because you gained 40 levels.

If you're overleveled, your gear should scale down to the maximum of gear for the level you're scaled to. Still stops people from being overpowered, but grants a sense of progression even when going through lower-leveled areas.

Ferrio

Banned
I'm wearing level 69-75 gear. I'm not wearing level 35 gear. My stats are still shit when downleveled. It's definitely ridiculous.

Oh god you're not reading what i'm saying. I understand what you're saying, and I'm telling you why the game does it.

That's just not right, though. If you were level 40, did CM, then crafted to 80 (which is totally viable according to anet), then did CM again, you would be totally useless because you gained 40 levels.

If you're overleveled, your gear should scale down to the maximum of gear for the level you're scaled to. Still stops people from being overpowered, but grants a sense of progression even when going through lower-leveled areas.

It grants no progression, there's no weapon/item progression AT ALL that way. There'd be no incentive to get higher level gear outside of a dungeon. Need lvl 80 gear? No prob, go into dungeon with lvl 35+ gear and get lvl 80 gear. Anytime you needed items your level you'd just pop into a dungeon no matter how poorly prepared you are. The game properly scales gear which is good. If you're neglecting your gear, you should be penalized no matter what your true level is and what level that dungeon is.

"That's just not right, though. If you were level 40, did CM, then crafted to 80 (which is totally viable according to anet), then did CM again, you would be totally useless because you gained 40 levels."

Not necessarily, assumedly if you crafted enough to gain 40 levels, ideally you'd have picked at least one or two professions that benefits your class, so you could just craft your own high level gear.

That's just a complete hypothetical situation though, you can't craft to level 80 unless you have a sugar daddy. A lot of the materials you need to progress only drop off mobs, so you have to kill them. Alternatively for cooking, a lot of the materials you need are from renown heart vendors, so you'd have to complete those as well.

J-Rzez

Wow, just bought mats off the TP and was crafting along and server crashed and rolled back. Now the TP is down too and don't have the mats. WTF man... It's starting to get irritating.

Violet_0

Banned
People in guild do it quite often. I never understood it.

type
[ATTENTION]
in the chat. I don't get it either.

So my team just got trounced in TA, going to take a break for an hour and then try and get more people together.

We had several problems, 1. One of our guys rushed and never listened (he was a guildie, doubt I'll be asking him to go again -_-), 2. The knights near the start, they hit HARD, 3. the hounds that killed us several time not long after the first champion (and after some archers/cultists/etc). They mobbed us easily.

Two people ended up leaving after that :/

ah yes, the lovely hounds. You don't have to fight the first group (just run around them), but there's a second pack right after the second champion. My first group could barely kill one hound before wiping (we later managed the other three just fine, but didn't beat the last boss) while my second group could almost kill all four in one go (and we cleared that dungeon, took us roughly 2 hours). So, as rule of thumb, if you really really struggle against the hounds, chances are you won't complete TA.

why coudlnt' this happen when i purchase the wrong item with my karma =/

I hate when that happens. Heart vendor equipment is soulbound and cannot be salvaged so the game shouldn't even allow you to buy them if you can't use them. Nothing worse than blowing karma on the wrong armor piece and then having to destroy it because it's useless. T_T

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
why coudlnt' this happen when i purchase the wrong item with my karma =/

I bought some pants yesterday that boosted my defense by 20-25 points, gave me more condition damage, but had less power. Turned out that all other benefits included, my OLD pants were better, and I was out 1k karma. I wish they had a 5 minute "sell back" window on karma items. :(

Vinci

Danish
Wow, just bought mats off the TP and was crafting along and server crashed and rolled back. Now the TP is down too and don't have the mats. WTF man... It's starting to get irritating.

Crazy fact: I have yet to use the Trading Post since release. It's been down every time I've tried. Even while other people were telling me, "Yeah, it's up - OMG STUFF IS SO CHEAP!" I keep getting the Quaggan sitting there.

Oh well. Still enjoying the game. Just hoarding money at this point is all.

Crazy fact: I have yet to use the Trading Post since release. It's been down every time I've tried. Even while other people were telling me, "Yeah, it's up - OMG STUFF IS SO CHEAP!" I keep getting the Quaggan sitting there.

Oh well. Still enjoying the game. Just hoarding money at this point is all.

It's not a huge loss. The only thing I've used it for is crafting (selling and buying mats). Upgraded weapons and armors seem to drop often or get from quest reward. Fortunately it's not like D3 where you basically have to use the AH to get by in Inferno. Still, buying and selling mats and then crafting is fun.

Vinci

Danish
So weird. I've only used it to make money so far. Haven't bought a thing, maybe I should o.o

And I'd be right there with you, IF... it were ever available to me. It hasn't been. If you look, barely any of my characters have leveled any crafting skills because honestly... I figured having access to the TP would make that a quicker process to level.

Still waiting... Heh.

Stuart444

ah yes, the lovely hounds. You don't have to fight the first group (just run around them), but there's a second pack right after the second champion. My first group could barely kill one hound before wiping (we later managed the other three just fine, but didn't beat the last boss) while my second group could almost kill all four in one go (and we cleared that dungeon, took us roughly 2 hours). So, as rule of thumb, if you really really struggle against the hounds, chances are you won't complete TA.

:/ That sucks. though I do blame it on what I perceived as mostly damage from 2 members with no control or support (or reviving) and one of these two was the one who kept running in and not listening at all even when I had called target on one enemy. The other was a level 80.

The other guy, a ranger was a lot better, tried to revive me and others and a few times was the last man standing alive. My girlfriend did better than the two above but the laptop keyboard isn't great (well it sucks really) and she is still learning to use the gamepad (she won't use it til she knows it won't be the cause of the teams wipe) but she still did better than the two above.

But yeah, enough about my failed run. Might see if me and the gf can find a PUG. it's very hit and miss but I don't know if I'll feel up to playing late late tonight (then again I might... we'll see) since I'm UK timezone and not EDT/PDT or anything.

on another note, how's Sorrow's Embrace? I hear that's a good dungeon for anyone who's tried it.

Achtius

I bought some pants yesterday that boosted my defense by 20-25 points, gave me more condition damage, but had less power. Turned out that all other benefits included, my OLD pants were better, and I was out 1k karma. I wish they had a 5 minute "sell back" window on karma items. :(

42k karma for me. l and i coudn't even use it. I sent a ticket already, still waiting for a reply =/ Hopefully they can refund the karma back

After my cooking is 400 (375 now, done later tonmight) what prof do you guys recommend to help lvl up? I have huntsman at 175 and leatherworker at uhh ~125 already but if there's an easier one lmk please. Currently lvl 51

It grants no progression, there's no weapon/item progression AT ALL that way. There'd be no incentive to get higher level gear outside of a dungeon. Need lvl 80 gear? No prob, go into dungeon with lvl 35+ gear and get lvl 80 gear. Anytime you needed items your level you'd just pop into a dungeon no matter how poorly prepared you are. The game properly scales gear which is good. If you're neglecting your gear, you should be penalized no matter what your true level is and what level that dungeon is.

And my first point. We're not talking about drops. We're talking about stats. Give us scaled down gear. We don't give a shit. People aren't complaining about the drops. They're complaining that their level 80 self is underperforming their level 50 self.

Ferrio

Banned
And my first point. We're not talking about drops. We're talking about stats. Give us scaled down gear. We don't give a shit. People aren't complaining about the drops. They're complaining that their level 80 self is underperforming their level 50 self.

Oh god... LOOK I KNOW WHY THEY'RE COMPLAINING.

BUT, you can't expect to get the benefits of having underleveled gear WHILE obtaining the benefits of obtaining gear your level. Yes I know it sucks going into a dungeon that you'd expect to ace, but you're sporting shitty gear for your level and you should suffer for ignoring it.

Oh god... LOOK I KNOW WHY THEY'RE COMPLAINING.

BUT, you can't expect to get the benefits of having underleveled gear WHILE obtaining the benefits of obtaining gear your level.

No, not gear your level. People don't want to have the benefits of level 80 gear. They want the benfits of level 50 gear. If you have a level 72 sword at level 80, why is that sword scaled to a 44 sword at level 50? It doesn't make sense that you're worse.

Ferrio

Banned
No, not gear your level. People don't want to have the benefits of level 80 gear. They want the benfits of level 50 gear. If you have a level 72 sword at level 80, why is that sword scaled to a 44 sword at level 50? It doesn't make sense that you're worse.

Oh christ you are not reading.

If you're level 80 and you go into a dungeon, lvl 80 gear drops because you are level 80. Your scenario would make it possible to go into a dungeon wearing lvl 50 gear but still get lvl 80 loot.

You don't see how stupid that is?

The bottom line is:

If you're lvl 35 with gear 10 levels below you and you go into a dungeon you should get rocked. The same should hold true no matter what level you are, if you have under leveled gear you should get rocked. It keeps the difficulty in check, as well as makes it necessary to keep your gear up to date.

Vossler

Doesn't the amount of skill points/traits you obtain while leveling to 80 make up for/mitigate the downscaling of your weapons/gear?

Doesn't the amount of skill points/traits you obtain while leveling to 80 make up for/mitigate the downscaling of your weapons/gear?

Trait stat gains are included in the downscaling.

You have more access to skills and other trait bonuses, but the stats are what get nerfed down

Oh christ you are not reading.

If you're level 80 and you go into a dungeon, lvl 80 gear drops because you are level 80. Your scenario would make it possible to go into a dungeon wearing lvl 50 gear but still get lvl 80 loot.

You don't see how stupid that is?

The bottom line is:

If you're lvl 35 with gear 10 levels below you and you go into a dungeon you should get rocked. The same should hold true no matter what level you are, if you have under leveled gear you should get rocked. It keeps the difficulty in check, as well as makes it necessary to keep your gear up to date.

So if you're level 35 with level 35 gear, you shouldn't get rocked, yes?

If you level up to 45 with that exact same 35 gear, should you get rocked?

Ferrio

Banned

If you're level 45 with that exact same 35 gear, should you get rocked?

YES! Because the game assumes you should be obtaining new gear. In that scenario you're not, your neglecting it. You shouldn't expect to get the same benefit from having level appropriate gear opposed to under leveled gear.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death

If you're level 45 with that exact same 35 gear, should you get rocked?

He's trying to say that if you're trying to do a lvl 45 zone, you're lvl 45 but your gear is lvl 35 then you should get rocked. This is correct.

YES! Because the game assumes you should be obtaining new gear. You're not, your neglecting it, but still expect to get the same benefit as if you were keeping your gear up to date

No, because the game assumes crafting as a viability for leveling up. It is in no way ensured that your gear will be appropriate for your level.

Instead, your gear should be scaled independently of you. ilvl 45 gear in a level 30 dungeon should be level 30, player level 60 in a level 30 dungeon should be scaled to level 30.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
No, because the game assumes crafting as a viability for leveling up. It is in no way ensured that your gear will be appropriate for your level.

Instead, your gear should be scaled independently of you. ilvl 45 gear in a level 30 dungeon should be level 30, player level 60 in a level 30 dungeon should be scaled to level 30.

What? Dude. If this happened, LOL. HORRIBLE DESIGN. Seriously. Really really bad. Someone else other than Ferrio back me up.

EDIT: Alright, I'm going to find the disconnect. This will help me to better understand you.

1.) Do you think it's proper that a lvl 45 who has lvl 35 gear should be at a disadvantage in a lv 45 pve zone compared to a lvl 45 who has lvl 45 gear in a lvl 45 zone?

2.) Do you think that when you scale down, the same condition should be applied?

3.) If you answered yes, why do you think that?

Ferrio

Banned

And what you're suggesting would bypass any gear progression at all in the game. There would be no incentive to ever upgrade your gear. That is not scaling!

Also your crafting scenario is stupid. Yes you can level up that way, but no one ever said you can instantly pop into content without correct gear. Also you're crafting, god sakes man you should have money/crafts to be able to get level appropriate gear if you're able to afford straight up crafting.

Anyone else finding the FoV in Guild Wars 2 to be absolutely god-awful?

I can't take decent screenshots worth a damn because it's console-game tight. Seriously, 60-70 degree FoV in a PC-only game? Who came up with this junk!?

I'm rather fortunate that I don't experience motion sickness in third-person games like this, but it's still ridiculous that the FoV is so damn tight to begin with, especially when most players are sitting with their screens two feet away from their faces...

eek5

ilvl 45 gear in a level 30 dungeon should be level 30, player level 60 in a level 30 dungeon should be scaled to level 30.
If they did that then the dungeon would have to drop level 30 gear instead of level 55+ gear like it does now.

Anyone else finding the FoV in Guild Wars 2 to be absolutely god-awful?

I can't take decent screenshots worth a damn because it's console-game tight. Seriously, 60-70 degree FoV in a PC-only game? Who came up with this junk!?

I'm rather fortunate that I don't experience motion sickness in third-person games like this, but it's still ridiculous that the FoV is so damn tight to begin with, especially when most players are sitting with their screens two feet away from their faces...

Yes and I play a lot of console FPS games. I resorted to playing in windowed mode and scaling it vertically so it gives more FOV.

shigsy

So I found an AMAZING jumping puzzle. Griffonrook run, in the southwest of Lornar's pass. It's STUNNING and incredibly hard, been trying for the past hour or so to beat it, got interrupted by the build update. Basically, get from where I'm standing to the point in the very end within 3 minutes and griffons along the way being a pain in the butt.

81585EF7181D83373554A5F9808004A26FB43015

75D3DD0DE0B9B9ED3DED314348A134D7FDC0F463

How did you take those shots without your character showing?

What? Dude. If this happened, LOL. HORRIBLE DESIGN. Seriously. Really really bad. Someone else other than Ferrio back me up.

I'm... not sure how this is horrible design. I mean, you can type it in caps to make you look right and demean me, but it's not plain stupid design.

Character scaling makes sense from some regards, but it falls apart elsewhere. Read this. Actually read it. Nobody has actually provided a response to this simple argument.

1) You are level 35. You have ilvl 35 gear.
2) You do CM explorable. You outperform expectations.
3) You cook and jewelcraft to level 45. You have ilvl 35 gear.
4) You do CM explorable. You are complete shit.

You think it's a good idea to scale weapons relative to characters because you're thinking only in terms of instants in time. It makes no logical sense when you take character progression into account.

If you've already found gear better than ilvl 35 gear, why is it LOL HORRIBLE DESIGN to scale your gear down to that ilvl?

The only problem is what was brought up about loot scaling, but loot already scales to your character level throughout the rest of the game?

I mean, if you want, scale loot to gear level instead of character level. It'd provide a better gear curve, anyways.

Grokbu

Do you guys know if there's a way to view the cooldowns on skills for weapons/kits that are outswapped? Would be great as an engineer to be able to see if I can use certain skills, for example blind skills, from a kit in emergencies.

Ferrio

Banned
I'm... not sure how this is horrible design. I mean, you can type it in caps to make you look right and demean me, but it's not plain stupid design.

Character scaling makes sense from some regards, but it falls apart elsewhere. Read this. Actually read it. Nobody has actually provided a response to this simple argument.

1) You are level 35. You have ilvl 35 gear.
2) You do CM explorable. You outperform expectations.
3) You cook and jewelcraft to level 45. You have ilvl 35 gear.
4) You do CM explorable. You are complete shit.

You think it's a good idea to scale weapons relative to characters because you're thinking only in terms of instants in time. It makes no logical sense when you take character progression into account.

If you've already found gear better than ilvl 35 gear, why is it LOL HORRIBLE DESIGN to scale your gear down to that ilvl?

The only problem is what was brought up about loot scaling, but loot already scales to your character level throughout the rest of the game?

I mean, if you want, scale loot to gear level instead of character level. It'd provide a better gear curve, anyways.

Because you're ignoring 10 levels of progression. Yes I don't care how you got those levels, you're still ignoring 10 levels in which you could get better gear.

No. Just no. What the hell is wrong with people?

Why bother working for anything when I can just hop into a dungeon 50 levels below me and reap excellent rewards without any effort at all?

Level scaling would be broken. Progression would be broken. Game would be broken.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
Just started playing, but I'm already clueless. How do I find information about my ongoing quest?

My "boss" (playing as Charr) told me to go get some supplies or whatever. And in the upper right corner is says just that. But no more info is to be found anywhere?! If I click on the text, I just get to the Hero Dialog or what it's called, and there is says the same thing, telling me to get the supplies. But not where or how.

So yeah, total noob here. Any friendly advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom