• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sethos

Banned
How does the T3 gear from each of the factions stand up compared to the 42k Karma gear? That T3 gear is only a few gold a piece.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Still a little confused by this...is Transfer the same as Guesting?...my friend is on a French Euro server,when we play in the morning,his server is on overflow most of the time because it's late afternoon in Europe so he comes over to the my American server to help me do the undoable My Story quest line playing solo,then he goes back to his Euro server...doing this is going to cost real money everytime at some point?

Guesting is not live yet I believe.

If he's simply server hopping, he can do that for free until Anet decides to end the free transfers once populations balance themselves out. It'll cost gems after that.

Artanisix

How does the T3 gear from each of the factions stand up compared to the 42k Karma gear? That T3 gear is only a few gold a piece.

Are we looking at the same armor, because T3 cultural is like 30 gold for the body and 25 for the helm or something crazy.

Sethos

Banned
Are we looking at the same armor, because T3 cultural is like 30 gold for the body and 25 for the helm or something crazy.

Oh damn. I just looked at the vendor when I was level 30 odd something and it was dirt cheap. Either it was increased or it was priced after my level, perhaps even downgraded? Maybe I'm just mistaken.

ShaneB

Was bumbling around last night as my warrior and was just feeling pretty bored. Just don't think the profession is clicking with me like I wanted it too, definitely not going to last the long haul. After making what seems like a dozen characters, I figure I had a lot of fun with the Ele in the beta weekends, I'll just go with that again. Created an Asura again and bolted over to the Norn area. Perhaps I just miss the snow. lol

"Are we looking at the same armor, because T3 cultural is like 30 gold for the body and 25 for the helm or something crazy."

I think he's talking about the Vigil/Order/Priory gear.

The Orr temple karma armor are exotics with superior runes vs the Vigil/Order/Priory Rare gear. The stats on the Order of Whispers gear is pretty meh to me.

Artanisix

"Are we looking at the same armor, because T3 cultural is like 30 gold for the body and 25 for the helm or something crazy."

I think he's talking about the Vigil/Order/Priory gear.

The Orr temple karma armor are exotics with superior runes vs the Vigil/Order/Priory Rare gear. The stats on the Order of Whispers gear is pretty meh to me.

Order gear was increased in price too, wasn't it?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
It's actually great. Very challenging, but doable with any group of classes in my experience.

Clearly defined roles are not necessary in my opinion. But these things are:

-Communication. Mumble is ideal, it makes a huge difference.
-Rez from downed state. This goes like 30x faster than in PvE, do it alllllll the time.
-Use the boulders strewn about everywhere. They're a distance knockdown. Especially key trying to separate the Lovers.
-Call targets. CTRL + T, or ctrl+click, to call; T to select a called target. Really important.
-Having some kind of team buff/support skill with you is a great idea.

All of these are INCREDIBLY important, but the bolded one in particular stands out. I switched out one of my damage skills for a skill that converts all conditions to boons in a pulsing area - it wasn't the MOST helpful skill, but it's things like that that can turn the tide of battle in a SUPER heavy team oriented encounter.

chiablo

flRZ6.png

my carot on a stick

Did you just mash your face against the keyboard when the "character name" prompt appeared?

LkPr

question about auto-attack... I'm using Axe/Warhorn as a Ranger, so my #5 skill is 'Call of the Wild' ... if I make that skill my default auto-attack will it automatically cast every 35 seconds whether I am in battle or not?

Achtius

question about auto-attack... I'm using Axe/Warhorn as a Ranger, so my #5 skill is 'Call of the Wild' ... if I make that skill my default auto-attack will it automatically cast every 35 seconds whether I am in battle or not?

yes,but you wont' have 1 as autoattack.. I think. just try ;P

LkPr

yes,but you wont' have 1 as autoattack.. I think. just try ;P

which is OK, I can manually press 1 while I'm attacking I just want to ensure that the boons I get from call of the Wild stay active as much as possible, without me managing it.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Been playing the story and... Caithe has some real shitty friends.

Talking about Destiny's Edge? Well, it's been a rocky road for them. They show up during dungeons, too.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
What is everyones opinion on the AC dungeon?

To me it feels like the boss mechanics are built around having clearly defined group roles, yet the game discouagres such a thing. Our group of decently geared, above lvl 30 players got face rolled over and over and over again. Am I just missing something?

AC isn't indicative of the rest of the dungeons. I've done CM and TA so far (along with AC), and AC is still the hardest of the three.

Orayn

Skills that don't have targets will launch as soon as they're not available if you put them on auto-attack. I do that with an Engineer skill that grants swiftness when I'm just running around trying to get 100% completion on an area.

Jack_AG

Banned
which is OK, I can manually press 1 while I'm attacking I just want to ensure that the boons I get from call of the Wild stay active as much as possible, without me managing it.
Considering the buffs are only 15s and you will have downtime - I'd save it for when you need to line up some hard-hitting abilities. Skill management is part of playing the game effectively.

Fury, might, etc are things you want when you line up cooldowns for maximum effectiveness. Don't just toss that shit on for the hell of it. You will be gimping yourself and your group.

I might hold off on "For Great Justice" if my burst and other abilities are going to pop soon - I want to take advantage of the buffs to maximize my throughput while they are active.

Achtius

AC isn't indicative of the rest of the dungeons. I've done CM and TA so far (along with AC), and AC is still the hardest of the three.

I think TA is hardest, at least until we figured out how to defeat the 2nd boss. After we beat him it was smooth sailing.

thetrin

Thanks for trying to help, it's much appreciated.
I have no idea why doing that doesn't work, which is a shame because I bought the mouse especially for GW2. I'll admit defeat for now and ask my husband to take a look tonight at what I'm doing wrong. (ugh, hate being that sort of wife!)

What brand of mouse is it? Some mice have their additional buttons act as aliases for existing keyboard buttons, but some are entirely new buttons.

koji

Bought a G600 friday, absolutely love it, was a bit afraid for the "palm" grip (I'm claw grip) but it's working out great, mouse makes me lol when I look at it though.

Had a lot of fun playing with the gamepad but when I was playing spvp with my friends I felt a bit slow with the pad, it's probably all in my head though but it felt sluggish. I was messing up targetting and it wasn't really clicking with my pistol/dagger thief.

LkPr

Considering the buffs are only 15s and you will have downtime - I'd save it for when you need to line up some hard-hitting abilities. Skill management is part of playing the game effectively.

Fury, might, etc are things you want when you line up cooldowns for maximum effectiveness. Don't just toss that shit on for the hell of it. You will be gimping yourself and your group.

I might hold off on "For Great Justice" if my burst and other abilities are going to pop soon - I want to take advantage of the buffs to maximize my throughput while they are active.

I see where you're going with that, thanks for the input

Jack_AG

Banned
What brand of mouse is it? Some mice have their additional buttons act as aliases for existing keyboard buttons, but some are entirely new buttons.
Branding isnt the issue. Most programs only recognize up to 4 buttons. Most mouse profilers have "keystroke" bindings and are the only way to bind in-game after setting "Mouse 6" to a keystroke like "/" or any other unused key.

At least in my experience with several brands over the years it has been this way.

Which is stoopy poopy, IMO.

thetrin

I think TA is hardest, at least until we figured out how to defeat the 2nd boss. After we beat him it was smooth sailing.

We had someone who had done it before, which made it easier.

SorchaR

It's a HP mouse. I can set up button 4 to act like Space or End in Windows via the configuration tool, but GW2 doesn't recognise it when I do so. I tried other games since and they don't recognise the extra mouse buttons either.
I've put in a support ticket with HP, hopefully something will come out of that.

massoluk

Banned
I'm finally seeing some impact of the level scale down now... And I'm not digging it. What's the point of leveling if you never get a chance to absolutely mop the floor with those low level bosses that gave you such a hard time earlier. Need something that will scratch those itches, is there some item that let you disable level scaling?

Also it's interesting the way they do trading post, it's nice seeing invisible hands so clearly at works (match highest, match lowest, set custom, see currently available quantities/prices).

Stuart444

Anyway, anyone got any tips for Twilight Arbor? And how likely am I to run into problems with PUGs? If no one in my guild wants to run it tonight, I might go the PUG route since I want to clear story mode before I do Sorrow's Embrace.

Quoting for next page. Hoping to do TA after dinner and considering I hear some bosses are difficult, would really like some tips before hand :)

Jack_AG

Banned
I see where you're going with that, thanks for the input
Another thing to consider is group boons - its more effective for me to pop on my entire group if they fall in range than it is to only pop on myself.

4 other players (dungeon example) will output far more than I can if I just pop it on myself. Timing is key. Just another point to consider. I play as suppprt on my Warrior so I'm in that mindset :p

thetrin

The level 25 trait under Virtues for Guardian is so perfect. "You deal extra damage the more boons you have".

Popping all of your virtues makes you into a god damn powerhouse.

I love guardian.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Bought a G600 friday, absolutely love it, was a bit afraid for the "palm" grip (I'm claw grip) but it's working out great, mouse makes me lol when I look at it though.

Had a lot of fun playing with the gamepad but when I was playing spvp with my friends I felt a bit slow with the pad, it's probably all in my head though but it felt sluggish. I was messing up targetting and it wasn't really clicking with my pistol/dagger thief.
I haven't played a single match of sPvP yet. Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if using a gamepad is a bit of a disadvantage for very high-level play.

To counteract the problem of feeling sluggish, though, you may want to adjust the camera rotation speed further in-game.

Jack_AG

Banned
I'm finally seeing some impact of the level scale down now... And I'm not digging it. What's the point of leveling if you never get a chance to absolutely mop the floor with those low level bosses that gave you such a hard time earlier. Need something that will scratch those itches, is there some item that let you disable level scaling?
Your traits are still active. It wont be faceroll but it will be easier, to an extent.

thetrin

Also it's interesting the way they do trading post, it's nice seeing invisible hands so clearly at works (match highest, match lowest, set custom, see currently available quantities/prices).

The point is exactly that. Everything remains a challenge. What's the matter, don't like a challenge?

I haven't played a single match of sPvP yet. Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if using a gamepad is a bit of a disadvantage for very high-level play.

To counteract the problem of feeling sluggish, though, you may want to adjust the camera rotation speed further in-game.

Yeah, if you play with a gamepad, you will be at a disadvantage. That's a fact of life, unfortunately.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Just realized it'd probably be worth it for me to swap out Signet of Shadows for something for my dungeon loadout. Hmmm.
The point is exactly that. Everything remains a challenge. What's the matter, don't like a challenge?
And you still get relevant XP. Nonetheless, you should be able to roflstomp low-level stuff when you go back to a lower zone to some degree due to better gear, more skill options, traits and having improved your own skill. I can solo like 15 harpies at once in the Plains of Ashford event by the dungeon without breaking a sweat if I go back there now.

Hydrogen

Banned
The one thing that really disapoints in this game is personal story... my character acts and talks nothing like i would. I wish it was more neutral, kinda like those mute jrpg protagonists, or at least letting me choosing what im going to say, like mass effect.

I want to stay away from personal story, to avoid being reminded that my character is just some random guy with stupid friends trying to act like a hero.

If at least there was no voice acting...

zlatko

Banned
The level 25 trait under Virtues for Guardian is so perfect. "You deal extra damage the more boons you have".

Popping all of your virtues makes you into a god damn powerhouse.

I love guardian.

Virtues is the +toughness tree right? I've been pouring all my points into that tree. Which level 10 skill did you pick? There's several useful ones there.

Decided to experiment more, this time with super-sampling, no-compression shots, and a tighter focus. Discarded quite a few attempts, ended up settling on this one. You should check the full-res one.

Water_thumb.jpg

FULL RESOLUTION (3840 x 3752 - 20MB)

Man, I'd kill for a first-person view. Or a way to make creatures stop moving around.

The one thing that really disapoints in this game is personal story... my character acts and talks nothing like i would. I wish it was more neutral, kinda like those mute jrpg protagonists, or at least letting me choosing what im going to say, like mass effect.

I want to stay away from personal story, to avoid being reminded that my character is just some random guy with stupid friends trying to act like a hero.

It really is uneven. My Charr, Iron Legion, acts exactly how I expected him to, considering the choices I made.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Yeah, if you play with a gamepad, you will be at a disadvantage. That's a fact of life, unfortunately.
Only for shooters!

I'm still not convinced that I'm at a disadvantage for this game...unless I need to tell someone "watchout!" and I have to throw my controller aside to type it.

I also say thanks for rez'ing me by jumping up and down. Stupid comfortable controllers.

"I'm still not convinced that I'm at a disadvantage for this game...unless I need to tell someone "watchout!" and I have to throw my controller aside to type it."

If you don't play PvP then you're not really at a disadvantage.

thetrin

Virtues is the +toughness tree right? I've been pouring all my points into that tree. Which level 10 skill did you pick? There's several useful ones there.

No, Virtues is the bottom tree. I think you're thinking of Valor.

Only for shooters!

I'm still not convinced that I'm at a disadvantage for this game...unless I need to tell someone "watchout!" and I have to throw my controller aside to type it.

I also say thanks for rez'ing me by jumping up and down. Stupid comfortable controllers.

Just for PvP. PvP, you will be at a disadvantage.

Achtius

Quoting for next page. Hoping to do TA after dinner and considering I hear some bosses are difficult, would really like some tips before hand :)

This is true for every dungeon, bring at least one weapon with range attack. But for TA, the first and third boss are both easy and straight forward. For the second boss with the spiders(nightmare), you have to attack him while strafing. If you kill any of the spiders, they will release poison gas, so just run around kiting him and ignore the spiders. Just keep running and attack him. Do not stop or run into poison. Bring at least one condition removal skill is a good idea since he got skill that fear you into the poison cloud.

Varna

100% true.

Can't stand the personal story one bit.
Why is my rogue who deceives and shots/stabs people back treated like a hero? Why the hell is he so cheerful too?

thetrin

This is true for every dungeon, bring at least one weapon with range attack. But for TA, the first and third boss are both easy and straight forward. For the second boss with the spiders(nightmare), you have to attack him while strafing. If you kill any of the spiders, they will release poison gas, so just run around kiting him and ignore the spiders. Just keep running and attack him. Do not stop or run into poison. Bring at least one condition removal skill is a good idea since he got skill that fear you into the poison cloud.

I took Stand Your Ground with me, which works on the whole team, and it made that fight a cakewalk.

100% true.

Can't stand the personal story one bit.
Why is my rogue who deceives and shots/stabs people back treated like a hero? Why the hell is he so cheerful too?

I'm pretty sure he's only cheerful if you picked charming in your character creation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom