• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

LkPr

can someone explain the disadvantage of using a gamepad? I mean for me, I've never really played PC games and I have a standard keyboard and mouse. So using a gamepad actually feels more natural and I can do what I want to do in-game relatively easily... I feel like when I play with keyboard and mouse I am at a disadvantage mainly because I suck with it and am not used to it...

So really, what can people do with a keyboard and mouse that i can't do with the gamepad?

Stuart444

This is true for every dungeon, bring at least one weapon with range attack. But for TA, the first and third boss are both easy and straight forward. For the second boss with the spiders(nightmare), you have to attack him while strafing. If you kill any of the spiders, they will release poison gas, so just run around kiting him and ignore the spiders. Just keep running and attack him. Do not stop or run into poison. Bring at least one condition removal skill is a good idea since he got skill that fear you into the poison cloud.

What about the last boss? I hear complaints about either her or the spider boss which you just explained why.

Just 100%'d Harathi Hinterlands, man that was a long one. So far 100%'d:

Rata Sum
Metrica Province
Caledon Forest
Lion's Arch
Queensdale
Harathi Hinterlands

who's the man?????? :D :D

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
What about the last boss? I hear complaints about either her or the spider boss which you just explained why.

The last boss is fighting the five members of Destiny's Edge at the same time. Once one goes down, Forlain comes down and tries to rez them. Once you hit her a bit, she disappears, and you have to fight the rest of them, rinse and repeat. That fight is a bit of a bitch. That was the only boss fight we wiped on.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
The last boss is fighting the five members of Destiny's Edge at the same time. Once one goes down, Forlain comes down and tries to rez them. Once you hit her a bit, she disappears, and you have to fight the rest of them, rinse and repeat. That fight is a bit of a bitch. That was the only boss fight we wiped on.

For that boss you have to kill
Eir
first. She does the most damage and the rest of them can be AoE'd easily. Also, having combos and stuff helps out a lot. Just be sure to focus Faolain once she comes down. She's really weak.

Stuart444

Thanks for that though
I hear the waypoints are a bit far in this dungeon so wiping might be frustrating >_<

Hopefully if I have to pug it and they don't know what they are doing, they will listen when I say stuff like what I am told here.

Varna

I took Stand Your Ground with me, which works on the whole team, and it made that fight a cakewalk.

I'm pretty sure he's only cheerful if you picked charming in your character creation.

Dignity. Also, I did take a charming one about this far into the story. It was the same. I think the choice you make only effects non voiced dialogue.

100% in harathi hinterlands gave me this sweet pirate hat, plus 26 silver, 40 cotton scraps, couple other green items. It was worth it!

gw008qbdwg.jpg

love this game so much, GOTY

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
"I'm still not convinced that I'm at a disadvantage for this game...unless I need to tell someone "watchout!" and I have to throw my controller aside to type it."

If you don't play PvP then you're not really at a disadvantage.

Still haven't touched sPvP so I can't speak for that, but I have had no issues in WvW. Haven't lost a single fight where it's just me and one other guy and even won a couple of 2vs1 scenarios.

Will admit, that if I play longer than 3 hours in a day my thumb begins to hurt from holding down the left stick due to all of the turning. (have left stick down simulating right click)

OceanBlue

Is it worth it to 100% zones? Does it give cool-looking armor? I'm really more interested in looking around as I level than optimizing/maxing out my gear. Also, is it better to 100% zones later into the game? I think I heard somewhere that rewards scale?

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Can I transmute Civil clothing and armor? If not, why the hell would I buy civil clothing?

inky

Is it worth it to 100% zones? Does it give cool-looking armor? I'm really more interested in looking around as I level than optimizing/maxing out my gear. Also, is it better to 100% zones later into the game? I think I heard somewhere that rewards scale?

Gold and EXP rewards scale, item rewards do not.

It's worth it if you have OCD and/or are a completionist. I'm both, unfortunately. It does take a while but the rewards are decent. You won't get anything godly because the items don't scale with level, but you'll get a good amount of silver + XP + usually 40x of a mat (ex: jute scraps, cotton scraps, and so on).

Question for fellow armorsmiths: has it been difficult discovering new insignias below the 150 level? I'm 126 right now and so far the only things I'm discovering are completed armors using known insignia recipes that automatically pop up. When do new crafting patterns go beyond (insignia+lining+panel)? Just looking for a ballpark level number.

The most consistent answer I could find was that it's hit-or-miss. Oftentimes players get level appropriate gear but not always. It's a gamble at this point.

Palmer_v1

It's a HP mouse. I can set up button 4 to act like Space or End in Windows via the configuration tool, but GW2 doesn't recognise it when I do so. I tried other games since and they don't recognise the extra mouse buttons either.
I've put in a support ticket with HP, hopefully something will come out of that.

FWIW, I was using a logitech wireless mouse with my laptop, and the buttons worked fine until I started using a steam shortcut to launch the game. It wouldn't register anything but M1 M2 and scroll wheel if I launched it that way, but gonig back to the normal shortcut, everything worked again.

ttocs

100% a zone, besides giving you the satisfaction of seeing everything the zone has to offer, sometimes gives cool items, but like the others have said, it's a gamble whether it will be level specific. You could use the skin though.

Absinthe

Decided to experiment more, this time with super-sampling, no-compression shots, and a tighter focus. Discarded quite a few attempts, ended up settling on this one. You should check the full-res one.

Man, I'd kill for a first-person view. Or a way to make creatures stop.

Quoted for truth, first person view would be great. Especialy when stitching multiple images together like that. /sleep never gets the shot quite right.

Still haven't touched sPvP so I can't speak for that, but I have had no issues in WvW. Haven't lost a single fight where it's just me and one other guy and even won a couple of 2vs1 scenarios.

Will admit, that if I play longer than 3 hours in a day my thumb begins to hurt from holding down the left stick due to all of the turning. (have left stick down simulating right click)

Wait, so you're holding down L3 the entire time to simulate the right click?! Grab the Auto Hot Key script right away. This makes right click a toggle instead of a continuous hold.

Jack_AG

Banned
"I'm still not convinced that I'm at a disadvantage for this game...unless I need to tell someone "watchout!" and I have to throw my controller aside to type it."

If you don't play PvP then you're not really at a disadvantage.
Lolno! I can't count how many times I've needed to get froggy with ground targeting that would be, literally, impossible to pull off effectively with a controller.

From all the configs - the mouse is always front of where you are facing to ground target quickly. But do you always ground target there? Nope. Can you move that reticle as fast? Nope. Can you pick target anything in a group in a split second without touching the mouse? Nope.

Just the fact that there's more than 1 action for "interact" lends itself better to a double-click for precision or you might perform the wrong interaction wasting time.

Can you move in one direction, face another and drop a targeting reticle in another direction in less than a split second? Nope.

This isnt a game where you trade blows with enemies, it requires split second timing, maneuvering, targeting, etc.

I don't want to get down on anyone or offend anyone for using one - but there is no way you can be as effective as a kb/m user. This is also coming from someone who has 3 different controllers and a gaming keypad for his pc - matter of fact - I don't even use a typing keyboard to play any PC game.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

holy... shit

please, PLEASE get the latest version of the package. It's going to feel like a whole new game for you.

can someone explain the disadvantage of using a gamepad? I mean for me, I've never really played PC games and I have a standard keyboard and mouse. So using a gamepad actually feels more natural and I can do what I want to do in-game relatively easily... I feel like when I play with keyboard and mouse I am at a disadvantage mainly because I suck with it and am not used to it...

So really, what can people do with a keyboard and mouse that i can't do with the gamepad?
This is coming from me, and I think I can be taken as something of a neutral source on this topic :p

A mouse will ALWAYS be more accurate than a gamepad. Mice were designed to make word processing and spreadsheet/database navigation fast and simple. As a result, they are able to (in modern terms depending on the DPI of the mouse) get much much closer to a given pixel on the screen in one try than an analog stick being pushed with your thumb. You can swing the camera to an exact spot much faster, get the AoE ring exactly where it needs to be a split-second faster, etc.

That said:

-Remember how I said kb + m was designed for word processing and spreadsheets? Yeah. They make no sense for gaming. We designed PC games around using the strengths of these input devices (first person shooters being the absolute best example; modern gamepad controls are essentially just emulating the use of a mouse in these!). But when dedicated consoles for gaming were created, it made sense to make input devices that were built specifically for playing games. You can perform an enormous number of functions without having move your hand in any direction while holding a gamepad, and as a result you can play from whatever physical position feels most comfortable for you. Playing games (this one in particular!) just feels more natural to me on the whole with a pad.
-We've come a long, long way from my first attempt at playing this with a gamepad. I'd never have ever recommended it for PvP in the first iteration; the way we have it now, like I said, I would describe it as "likely a bit of a disadvantage." Not nonviable.

"I don't want to get down on anyone or offend anyone for using one - but there is no way you can be as effective as a kb/m user. This is also coming from someone who has 3 different controllers and a gaming keypad for his pc - matter of fact - I don't even use a typing keyboard to play any PC game."

As effective as a KB/M user, no. Does it matter in PvE? Not really, the PvE is either pretty braindead simple or instagibs players randomly, so it doesn't really matter if you're at a disadvantage or not.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
the PvE is either pretty braindead simple or instagibs players randomly, so it doesn't really matter if you're at a disadvantage or not.
Man you're a downer.

Miktar said:
What is the newest package anyway? I checked the OT, but it wasn't linked there.

I can't edit the OP! :p

Weltall maintains the latest package at the google docs link you can find on this page: http://gamingmusings.blogspot.com.es/2012/07/how-to-play-guild-wars-2-with-controller.html

For config help (it's dead simple, though), ideas, thoughts, concerns, discussion, controllergaf thread on gafguild.com:
http://gafguild.com/index.php?threads/controller-gaf-configs.52/page-7#post-4045

Okay but is the all-new configuration software easy to use, allowing me to conveniently customize all the buttons with any game command or key binding?

What do you use? I'm actually looking to get something better suited than my Microsoft wired keyboard, it's giving me carpal.
I like the Razer Nostromo, which is based off an older Belkin product.

It has 14 standard keyboard type keys in 3 rows. For the thumb there is a "spacebar" type key, plus an 8-way D-pad and an extra circular button, so 10 keybinds for the thumb. There is also a mostly useless clickable scroll wheel close to where the left index finger rests.

My keybinds that I find to work well for me:
First row: Heal skill, rotate left, foward, rotate right, autorun
Second row: Switch weapon, strafe left, backward, strafe right, F function
Third row: Target enemy, Ctrl, about face, Alt
Spacebar: jump
Emote macros for the D-pad
Hero screen for that extra thumb button
Esc for the keypad scroll wheel click

Skills, map, inventory, and dodge on the MMO mouse.

Others use the D-pad for movement and bind skills to the keypad, but I didn't like the feel of the D-pad.

Edit: now that I've typed this out, I'm actually going to switch some keybinds around since I'm still hitting the wrong key with my pinky finger now and then. I do miss the different sizes of the Tab, Capslock and Shift keys from a standard keyboard that helped somewhat.

Edit2: yea, going to switch Inventory/Map with Heal/Weapon. Makes sense to have all battle actions on the mouse so the left hand can focus on movement.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
How does that work with targeting spells? Will I have to toggle it off whenever I want to cast a spell?
Hell no :)

Your mouse cursor will "recenter" at an ideal spot (just a bit above your character's head basically) every time you... well every time you do pretty much anything. Anytime you activate an AoE skill it will start from that location, you can simply aim by turning the camera to "look" at the spot you're targeting and hit the button again. If you play in windowed mode you'll even get a damn crosshair to help out. It becomes second-nature after just a little while.

You can toggle Pointer Mode to aim with a fixed camera, but I never have to do this anymore.

One tip: if you're playing an AoE heavy class/build, I'd simply recommend playing a couple clicks more zoomed out (probably a good idea for those classes regardless).

Ferrio

Banned
What is the best weapon combination for a thief in your opinion?

Well there was a good discussion yesterday in this thread about this. What I did learn is that there seems to be fan of every weapon combo mostly, and people saying they can make stuff work that I thought was trash. All this from mostly a PvP point of view, as I don't think it really makes a damn PvE.

- dagger/dagger is by far the best and most versatile combo IMO. It lacks utility, but covers all the other bases really well (stealth, cripple, aoe etc).
-Sword/pistol seems like a very solid pick due to pistol whip. In conjunction with weapon switching to dagger/dagger I became a fan.
-Pistol/Pistol I don't have too much experience with, but I'm not a fan of trying to play the range game with thief since the steal mechanic is totally lost when you do. You'd have to make sure to weapon switch it up with one of the melee choices.
- Pistol/Dagger I'm not too keen on. It doesn't seem to pull the damage fast enough, and it lacks utility.
-Dagger/Pistol didn't seem worth it since it didn't have any stealth options. But kayos pointed out you can stealth by laying down a combo field with 5, then heartseekering in it. Lot more costly than offhand-dagger 5, but works and more utility than dagger/dagger.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Well there was a good discussion yesterday in this thread about this. What I did learn is that there seems to be fan of every weapon combo mostly, and people saying they can make stuff work that I thought was trash. All this from mostly a PvP point of view, as I don't think it really makes a damn PvE.

- dagger/dagger is by far the best and most versatile combo IMO. It lacks utility, but covers all the other bases really well (stealth, cripple, aoe etc).
-Sword/pistol seems like a very solid pick due to pistol whip. In conjunction with weapon switching to dagger/dagger I became a fan.
-Pistol/Pistol I don't have too much experience with, but I'm not a fan of trying to play the range game with thief since the steal mechanic is totally lost when you do. You'd have to make sure to weapon switch it up with one of the melee choices.
- Pistol/Dagger I'm not too keen on. It doesn't seem to pull the damage fast enough, and it lacks utility.
-Dagger/Pistol didn't seem worth it since it didn't have any stealth options. But kayos pointed out you can stealth by laying down a combo field with 5, then heartseekering in it. Lot more costly than offhand-dagger 5, but works and more utility than dagger/dagger.
Whoa. You've grown since yesterday my fellow shadow-dweller

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Best thief weapon combo is D/P easily. If you want reasons I'll give you reasons as to why it's better than D/D. Only if you ask for it. I dont' want to waste time answering for a non-audience.

Arol

I didn't get a chest popup when doing AC Exploreable Mode earlier today after the boss fight.

Is this a common bug or glitch? I ended up reporting it.

KingKong

The rewards are usually pretty good, as is the experience and money. There's no guarantee that they are usable by your profession but you can always throw that and the stack of material it gives you up on the TP.

The thing is that there are just a few level appropriate zones for higher levels (like 2 or 3) and by the time you explore a big part of it, you end up getting the majority of waypoints/POIs and hearts. Really the hardest parts are the hearts, everything else is really fast especially if you've unlocked most waypoints and can just fast travel around the zone

Morokh

Could not play for a couple of days, it's good to be back at it !

Here's my little guy : Wilkz level 18 engineer at the moment.

scYiZ.jpg

Zojja : Well which name should I record for this year's Snaff Savant ?
Wilkz : The name's Wilkz
Zojja : that's .. a .. very uncommon name, even for someone of our kind
Wilks : Let's just say my family has a strange sense of humor ... do you remember those XD-700 nursing units ?
Zojja : Yes
Wilkz : I was just born when they put me in one of those, crying my lungs out.
Aojja : And ?
Wilkz : It wasn't more than two minutes after, that the 'quantum balancing core' in this thing had a little hiccup and let all the energy out in a loud noise that sounded like ' Wiiiiiiilkzzzzzzzzz .... ' unfortunately for me I stopped crying, and laughed ....
Zojja : *smiling* Oh .. I see

I've had a lot of fun so far even if i'm still a bit overwhelmed by all the kits and abilities.

I'm also looking for a last name for a female Norn Warrior, something related to the color red, or themed around fire, if some of you have some ideas to spare ;)

Thanks. I'm going to take the plunge and grab one, since I'm doing so much PC gaming lately.
Be sure to download the firmware/drivers from the manufacterer's website to properly assign keybinds. I downloaded both, since my box didn't come with any software.

I didn't make any significant keybind changes in the in-game Options window; just assign the appropriate keypad button to its desired keyboard button in the Razer software.

Okay but is the all-new configuration software easy to use, allowing me to conveniently customize all the buttons with any game command or key binding?
I'm not sure about any game, but it is very easy to set-up and intuitive for GW2. This is coming from someone who just built his first PC 1 week ago. The D-pad on the Nostromo does suck, so I still use WASD style for movement. Every single key is assignable, including diagonals on the D-pad.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Hell no :)

Your mouse cursor will "recenter" at an ideal spot (just a bit above your character's head basically) every time you... well every time you do pretty much anything. Anytime you activate an AoE skill it will start from that location, you can simply aim by turning the camera to "look" at the spot you're targeting and hit the button again. If you play in windowed mode you'll even get a damn crosshair to help out. It becomes second-nature after just a little while.

You can toggle Pointer Mode to aim with a fixed camera, but I never have to do this anymore.

One tip: if you're playing an AoE heavy class/build, I'd simply recommend playing a couple clicks more zoomed out (probably a good idea for those classes regardless).

I'll try it - but I won't guarantee that I'll like it!

I could see it being more comforting / requiring less input from me but I could see it causing a second or two of lag when I need to throw down a spell in a specific spot, compared to holding down the stick. More of a pvp concern than pve. I could be wrong!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Could not play for a couple of days, it's good to be back at it !

Here's my little guy : Wilkz level 18 engineer at the moment.

scYiZ.jpg
Badass asura :)
I've had a lot of fun so far even if i'm still a bit overwhelmed by all the kits and abilities.

I'm also looking for a last name for a female Norn Warrior, something related to the color red, or themed around fire, if some of you have some ideas to spare ;)
You could make her Whateva the Red, viking style
I'll try it - but I won't guarantee that I'll like it!

I could see it being more comforting / requiring less input from me but I could see it causing a second or two of lag when I need to throw down a spell in a specific spot, compared to holding down the stick. More of a pvp concern than pve. I could be wrong!
You're able to hold the Back (select) button to get temporary pointer control or click in the right stick to toggle it.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Almost never stealth whaaaat? :)

Actually, I've really been neglecting Shadow Arts considering how much I use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom