• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuart444

Just started playing, but I'm already clueless. How do I find information about my ongoing quest?

My "boss" (playing as Charr) told me to go get some supplies or whatever. And in the upper right corner is says just that. But no more info is to be found anywhere?! If I click on the text, I just get to the Hero Dialog or what it's called, and there is says the same thing, telling me to get the supplies. But not where or how.

So yeah, total noob here. Any friendly advice?

Green indicator on M screen (and mini-map) shows you where to go

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I'm... not sure how this is horrible design. I mean, you can type it in caps to make you look right and demean me, but it's not plain stupid design.

Character scaling makes sense from some regards, but it falls apart elsewhere. Read this. Actually read it. Nobody has actually provided a response to this simple argument.

1) You are level 35. You have ilvl 35 gear.
2) You do CM explorable. You outperform expectations.
3) You cook and jewelcraft to level 45. You have ilvl 35 gear.
4) You do CM explorable. You are complete shit.

You think it's a good idea to scale weapons relative to characters because you're thinking only in terms of instants in time. It makes no logical sense when you take character progression into account.

If you've already found gear better than ilvl 35 gear, why is it LOL HORRIBLE DESIGN to scale your gear down to that ilvl?

The only problem is what was brought up about loot scaling, but loot already scales to your character level throughout the rest of the game?

I mean, if you want, scale loot to gear level instead of character level. It'd provide a better gear curve, anyways.

You know what that's called? NOT SCALING. When you have shit like that, that defeats the point of scaling. If you're not going to have your gear scaled, why scale you at all? Scale everything, or not scale anything at all.

Scaling is for the purpose of equating proportionality in lower levels. If you have gear 10 levels under than what the zone says and you got a lower zone. You should have that same proportion/disadvantage applied to you. What you're describing is not scaling at all.

zlatko

Banned
Before this thread blows up...

How do I get a GAF backpack? I only have around 25 silver and am level 19, but those look awesome!

Are they just for appearance or do they serve a purpose? Also how do you get the GAF logo on your gear?

Slight bump.

;)

Phazon

Some screens of Jormag fight earlier today, I guess I'll just post the links if people don't want to be spoiled:

http://i.minus.com/ibft8moLGhJuqg.jpg
http://i.minus.com/i47YjFCtb6lIn.jpg
http://i.minus.com/ibqiKimTWUAdhf.jpg
http://i.minus.com/ibv8Kdvntj39dV.jpg
http://i.minus.com/ibnIt9LsnJMPzM.jpg

I can't get FRAPS to work with this game, so I apologize for the compressed .jpgs

Maybe you just forgot to mention it, but that's just a minion of jormag called The Claw of Jormag. The real Jormag is not in the game, but you can see his tooth in Hoelbrak :)

Artanisix

Oh christ you are not reading.

If you're level 80 and you go into a dungeon, lvl 80 gear drops because you are level 80. Your scenario would make it possible to go into a dungeon wearing lvl 50 gear but still get lvl 80 loot.

You don't see how stupid that is?

The bottom line is:

If you're lvl 35 with gear 10 levels below you and you go into a dungeon you should get rocked. The same should hold true no matter what level you are, if you have under leveled gear you should get rocked. It keeps the difficulty in check, as well as makes it necessary to keep your gear up to date.

"Oh God," we're reading, you just don't understand that we disagree on the method of scaling going on. I can't even buy level 80 gear with the tokens from this dungeon, WHY is my gear being downscaled disproportionately with the token gear? Go ahead and drop only level 60 gear then and scale my gear down to that if anything, not all the fucking way to 80. I still wouldn't approve of that form of scaling but it'd be less of a mess than the current one in place. The vast majority of people doing these dungeons on EXPLORE MODE are going to be doing it for the tokens so it should be scaled appropriately for the reward.

1) You are level 35. You have ilvl 35 gear.
2) You do CM explorable. You outperform expectations.
3) You cook and jewelcraft to level 45. You have ilvl 35 gear.
4) You do CM explorable. You are complete shit.

THIS is the exact problem. It's completely unintuitive along with the rest of the dungeon experience. It's like, oh I'm making progress getting better gear and traits but oh! Wait! If you have godly gear at 35 but only average gear at 45, you're now weaker than you were before! Awesome!

It's not like the dungeons are EASY at 35 with 35 gear. It's still a challenge. Punishing players for progressing through the game and doing older content is ass-backwards, especially when you have people IN THIS VERY THREAD saying not to worry about keeping your gear up-to-date and to save up your karma.

Hoo-doo

Banned
First "real" quest for the Durmand Priory is a cave filled with crazy jumping puzzles and boobytraps. Me and a friend died like 10 times falling down some bottomless chasm until we figured out the puzzle.

I definitely rolled the right order. These quests are great.

First "real" quest for the Durmand Priory is a cave filled with crazy jumping puzzles and boobytraps. Me and a friend died like 10 times falling down some bottomless chasm until we figured out the puzzle.

Damn :( I hope ORder of Secrets is interesting

Because you're ignoring 10 levels of progression. Yes I don't care how you got those levels, you're still ignoring 10 levels in which you could get better gear.

I'm not sure I follow how I'm the one ignoring 10 levels of progression. Crafting wouldn't give xp if it wasn't a viable method to gain levels. Anet wouldn't say that you can get to level 80 without combat if it wasn't viable. There's no ignoring of progression going on. There's just 10 levels that were achieved by doing something that does not give loot.

No. Just no. What the hell is wrong with people?

Why bother working for anything when I can just hop into a dungeon 50 levels below me and reap excellent rewards without any effort at all?

Level scaling would be broken. Progression would be broken. Game would be broken.

Here I'll just quote myself.

The only problem is what was brought up about loot scaling, but loot already scales to your character level throughout the rest of the game?

I mean, if you want, scale loot to gear level instead of character level. It'd provide a better gear curve, anyways.

Or, specifically, the algorithm:
Gather the item level. If character is dual wielding, use minimum weapon level.
If item level is greater or equal to character level, drop gear at character level (maybe +1 or +2)
Else, drop gear at item level, up to +1 or +2.

in c++, granted it's going to look pretty abysmal writing such simple logic:

Code:
int weaponlvl = /*insert item level*/;
int charlvl = /*insert character level*/;

if (weaponlvl >= charlvl)
{
  //roll drops for character level
}

else
{
  //roll drops for gear level
}

And what you're suggesting would bypass any gear progression at all in the game. There would be no incentive to ever upgrade your gear. That is not scaling!

Also your crafting scenario is stupid. Yes you can level up that way, but no one ever said you can instantly pop into content without correct gear. Also you're crafting, god sakes man you should have money/crafts to be able to get level appropriate gear if you're able to afford straight up crafting.

There would be incentive to upgrade your gear... for your level? I mean it's quite obvious that your level 45 gear shouldn't be scaled UP to accommodate you in a level 60 area.

Your point doesn't even apply to my "stupid" crafting scenario. You're not crafting to level 45 and expecting to do level 45 content, you're crafting to level 45 and expecting to do level 35 content, where you were already at. Also, crafting costs money. No, you can't afford better gear after your spending money.

kayos90

"Oh God," we're reading, you just don't understand that we disagree on the method of scaling going on. I can't even buy level 80 gear with the tokens from this dungeon, WHY is my gear being downscaled disproportionately with the token gear? Go ahead and drop only level 60 gear then and scale my gear down to that if anything, not all the fucking way to 80. I still wouldn't approve of that form of scaling but it'd be less of a mess than the current one in place. The vast majority of people doing these dungeons on EXPLORE MODE are going to be doing it for the tokens so it should be scaled appropriately for the reward.

THIS is the exact problem. It's completely unintuitive along with the rest of the dungeon experience. It's like, oh I'm making progress getting better gear and traits but oh! Wait! If you have godly gear at 35 but only average gear at 45, you're now weaker than you were before! Awesome!

It's not like the dungeons are EASY at 35 with 35 gear. It's still a challenge. Punishing players for progressing through the game and doing older content is ass-backwards, especially when you have people IN THIS VERY THREAD saying not to worry about keeping your gear up-to-date and to save up your karma.

They're not punishing you for going through the game and doing older content. The whole point of scaling is that you can go back and it'll be a challenge across all levels. Hence the point of SCALING. If you don't like it then you have a problem with the concept of scaling. There's nothing wrong with how they implemented it.

Code:

{
}

else
{
}

This is bad programming for scaling. So you're saying that I'll be getting lvl 30 drops for doing a lvl 30 dungeon even though I'm lvl 80? That's not scaling. That's like going back and doing old content in WoW.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Maybe you just forgot to mention it, but that's just a minion of jormag called The Claw of Jormag. The real Jormag is not in the game, but you can see his tooth in Hoelbrak :)
Whew, thought I just got the shit spoiled out of something huge

Deitus

Awesome. I just joined the Priory but haven't done any missions past the initiation mission (the last mission in the 3-factions storyline). I was a little worried because everyone was saying how you NEED to play the Order of Whispers, and I don't like the look of the Priory specific armor, but the Priory made more sense for my character. It sounds like this is exactly the right faction to pick for me.

They're not punishing you for going through the game and doing older content. The whole point of scaling is that you can go back and it'll be a challenge across all levels. Hence the point of SCALING. If you don't like it then you have a problem with the concept of scaling. There's nothing wrong with how they implemented it.

Code:

{
}

else
{
}

This is bad programming for scaling. So you're saying that I'll be getting lvl 30 drops for doing a lvl 30 dungeon even though I'm lvl 80? That's not scaling. That's like going back and doing old content in WoW.

No, it's not bad programming. If you're level 80 with level 60 gear, you'll get gear for level 60 (or 61 or 62), no matter what content you're doing. I mean what do you expect, level 80 gear?
vPB1u.png

EDIT: Oh, and here's another improvement. Add to the algorithm a consideration for area level, and don't drop any gear below the area level.

Artanisix

How is it not punishing if you are WEAKER at 45 than you were at 35? Not even same strength, flat out weaker. That's not appropriate scaling, that's just stupid. 35 dungeon content at 35 is already challenging. Scaling you down to 35 if you have higher ilvl compared to the dungeon does not make content faceroll or not challenging. Wtf.

Ken

Just did the Balthazar stuff on Orr. That was fun. Got myself a Karma chestpiece.

Where do you guys think would be the best place to farm for Karma? Just zerging on the Straits of Devestation with the Pact chains?

Dina

I agree with the scaling-'haters'. It's stupid and counter-intuitive.

It should just downgrade your stats to the level you were before, as in the level required in that particular dungeon and area. Your level 50 stats are now level 35 stats. Your level 42 sword now has the stats of a level 35 sword, same with your level 28 pants and level 48 amulet. In fact downgrading is a better mechanic then pure scaling because it makes more sense.

A more muscular warrior at level 45 should not be weaker with a level 35 stick then a less muscular warrior at level 35 with the same stick.

I mean, a (now more experienced) craftsman asked to make one of his earlier works for a client using the same tools he used back then suddenly doesn't become less gifted at the task just because he is using an older brush.

Terrible analogies, but whatever. It's a stupid mechanic and it should be fixed.

How is it not punishing if you are WEAKER at 45 than you were at 35? Not even same strength, flat out weaker. That's not appropriate scaling, that's just stupid. 35 dungeon content at 35 is already challenging. Scaling you down to 35 if you have higher ilvl compared to the dungeon does not make content faceroll or not challenging. Wtf.

EXACTLY. Making your level 80 with an ilvl72 greatsword into a level 30 with an ilvl 30 greatsword doesn't make the content easier. It makes it just as challenging as an appropriately geared level 30.

kayos90

It's not punishing because you ARE SCALED.

HOLY FREAKING SHIT. ARE PEOPLE NOT READING AND UNDERSTANDING?

YOU ARE BEING SCALED. Do you guys know what scaled means?! If you are not having your stats, items, and levels brought down across all things then YOU. ARE. NOT. BEING. SCALED. What's the point of calling it scaling if you're not going to be scaled. Stop trying to assert that your view is right and call it scaling. IT'S NOT SCALING.

Fuck it. I give up. You guys don't understand the definition of scaling. This is stupid.

Dina

It's not punishing because you ARE SCALED.

HOLY FREAKING SHIT. ARE PEOPLE NOT READING AND UNDERSTANDING?

YOU ARE BEING SCALED. Do you guys know what scaled means?! If you are not having your stats, items, and levels brought down across all things then YOU. ARE. NOT. BEING. SCALED. What's the point of calling it scaling if you're not going to be scaled. Stop trying to assert that your view is right and call it scaling. IT'S NOT SCALING.

Your entire point is hinged on the meaning of the word 'scale' and that we do not grasp it.

Do you not understand gameplay? Do you not grasp that not everything has to be taken at absolute literal value in a videogame. Do you not see how this is a weird, strange and counter-intuitive mechanic? Let the meaning of the word scale go and take a step back, it'll come to you.

kayos90

Your entire point is hinged on the meaning of the word 'scale' and that we do not grasp it.

Do you not understand gameplay? Do you not grasp that not everything has to be taken at absolute literal value in a videogame. Do you not see how this is a weird, strange and counter-intuitive mechanic? Let the meaning of the word scale go and take a step back, it'll come to you.

That's my point. You guys don't understand scaling so this argument has gone literally nowhere.

Ferrio

Banned
I've discussed exactly why it's done. The game punishes you for being under geared across the board, no matter what level you're scaled down to. This promotes maintaining your equipment to appropriate levels and allows for a natural gear progression. t's not counter-intuitive, it's exactly dead simple. If you're undergeared you get punished no matter the circumstance, that's about as simple as it gets.

dorkimoe

I could use some help with crafting. Most of my stuff is grey so I'm no longer getting xp, and the discovery thing is just confusing to me. Is there a site that shows what parts I need to put into discovery to discover something? I put in 2 pieces then I have nothing else to put in, It would help to know what 3-4 pieces i need

Ken

It's not counter-intuitive. I've discussed exactly why it's done. The game punishes you for being under geared across the board, no matter what level you're scaled down to. This promotes maintaining your equipment to appropriate levels and allows for a natural gear progression.

Raise up Order gear prices.

Punish for being under-geared.

Dina

It's not counter-intuitive. I've discussed exactly why it's done. The game punishes you for being under geared across the board, no matter what level you're scaled down to.

Then explain to me why I need to be punished if I decide to do early game content. If I'm helping my buddy quest in his starter zone or help him slog through AC, why do I need to be punished more then people at the 'proper' level and item level range? Aren't I doing something worthwhile already?

Dina

I could use some help with crafting. Most of my stuff is grey so I'm no longer getting xp, and the discovery thing is just confusing to me. Is there a site that shows what parts I need to put into discovery to discover something? I put in 2 pieces then I have nothing else to put in, It would help to know what 3-4 pieces i need

http://www.gw2db.com/ helped me tons. Find your crafting profession, check your level, buy everything you need to discover stuff you haven't found out yet.

kayos90

Then explain to me why I need to be punished if I decide to do early game content. If I'm helping my buddy quest in his starter zone or help him slog through AC, why do I need to be punished more then people at the 'proper' level and item level range? Aren't I doing something worthwhile already?

Okay. I'm going to try one last time. If you're using lvl 45 gear in a lvl 60 zone, should you be punished/bet put at a disadvantage?

Ferrio

Banned

You're not being punished for doing early gear content. You're being punished for not maintaining your gear. You'd get the exact same thing if you were lvl 60 in a lvl 60 zone with lvl 50 gear. If you're ignoring gearing up properly, then you should get docked for it. Just because you're doing earlier content doesn't mean you should suddenly be exempt for that rule, especially when the drops you obtain would be your level.

You're having a very hard time grasping this since it's very different than any other MMO. You are scaled to that dungeon level, and that means everything... your good and bad.

inky

You should have more skills available, and be better traited than your noobie buddy, so you are not being disproportionately punished, just scaled ;)

I am level 80 and even though I'm scaled down to a level 51 area I am in right now I have an easier time than people just leveling up. Shorter cooldowns, more passive abilities, etc. Of course, I try to keep my gear appropriate to my level as well. If I had all level 60 gear still is the same as trying to progress through a level 15 area naked. That makes sense because it means I'm just not paying attention to my gear.

windz

Good lord cooking is amazing fun.

But help. I'm drowning in peach pies. :(

Eat them. Eat them all. Drown in that sweet, sweet pie!!

:p lol I know the feeling I have way too much food after getting my cooking to 400.

I'll be transfering over to the GAF server tonight and joining GAF-overflow. Level 80 Necromancer named Windylisk. Will bug someone for an invite later.

I've discussed exactly why it's done. The game punishes you for being under geared across the board, no matter what level you're scaled down to. This promotes maintaining your equipment to appropriate levels and allows for a natural gear progression. t's not counter-intuitive, it's exactly dead simple. If you're undergeared you get punished no matter the circumstance, that's about as simple as it gets.

And once again, your fallacy is in the idea that "under-geared" exists. The game is far too complex of a beast to shoehorn every character into a role where having level-matching gear is necessary.

Anet's vision with this game is that you can do whatever the hell you want. If that involves things that don't give loot, then should be no punishment.

That's my point. You guys don't understand scaling so this argument has gone literally nowhere.

No, you missed his point. YOUR point is that we're not taking the definition of scaling literally enough, but OUR point is that progressing as a character can make your character worse.

Cramming the entire game into a simple division sign is not viable when it is so complicated.

Also, arguments go nowhere. That's the nature of arguments.

EDIT: And please don't kick me from the guild for posting this in the thread. I stopped talking in guild chat, but this is still the pertinent conversation in the thread.

kayos90

Alright, I'm serving my head on a silver platter for you. I made the mistake of bringing this argument over to the Guild chat in-game. I apologize for that poor display and I recognize that it was in poor taste and a mistake. Luckily I caught myself before it got out of hand and I apologized for my behavior. However, I will make this notice, if someone does what I just did and does not apologize for creating a drama of similar situations, I will proceed with kicks. If you recognized your misbehavior it's a different story. Just a notice.

Ferrio

Banned
And once again, your fallacy is in the idea that "under-geared" exists. The game is far too complex of a beast to shoehorn every character into a role where having level-matching gear is necessary.

Anet's vision with this game is that you can do whatever the hell you want. If that involves things that don't give loot, then should be no punishment.

Under-geared DOES exist, I can't' believe that's being argued at all. You can do whatever the hell you want, but ANET has never said it's a free ride. You can't ignore the whole gear part of your character and pretend that you shouldn't be "punished" for it.

No, you missed his point. YOUR point is that we're not taking the definition of scaling literally enough, but OUR point is that progressing as a character can make your character worse.

Cramming the entire game into a simple division sign is not viable when it is so complicated.

Progression is more than just your level, it's also maintaing gear appropriate for your level. You're ignoring that completely.

kayos90

I understand your point completely. I'm not saying I don't understand them. If I didn't understand them then why would I be making a retort? Making a retort without understand your opponent's position is poor rhetoric. I understand your stance. I'm saying that your stance is not what scaling is. The word your is interchangeable with his.

Guild chat is not the same thing as talking in OT. LOL. You must think I'm an idiot who lacks sense. Come on. Everyone should know these two domains are exclusive with its own rules.

Also, arguments DO go somewhere. You saying that is making me recognize your inability to conduct proper rhetoric and discussion.

Dina

Okay. I'm going to try one last time. If you're using lvl 45 gear in a lvl 60 zone, should you be punished/bet put at a disadvantage?

You're not being punished for doing early gear content. You're being punished for not maintaining your gear. You'd get the exact same thing if you were lvl 60 in a lvl 60 zone with lvl 50 gear. If you're ignoring gearing up properly, then you should get docked for it. Just because you're doing earlier content doesn't mean you should suddenly be exempt for that rule, especially when the drops you obtain would be your level.

You're having a very hard time grasping this since it's very different than any other MMO. You are scaled to that dungeon level, and that means everything... your good and bad.

Hmm, right. I suppose you're right, but it still feels a bit weird to me. Usually no-one does low level content except for completion's sake or to help other people out with hard quests or dungeons. If I do, it's either to satisfy my own desires (completion's sake) or others (helping people). Still doesn't feel like that deserves a harder challenge then a level 35 toon with level 35 gear, but I suppose that is the downside to pure scaling.

The entire reason for scaling to exist is that low-level content can still keep its challenge even if you are higher, but if you're not careful (or do not know this mechanic exists, which I fear is the majority since it's also not explained anywhere else) you might end up with an even harder challenge and wonder why that level 35 toon with level 35 gear is doing more damage even though you have more skills to play around with.

edit: something else. Since people find AC trash so hard, this Reddit post helped me immensely. Worth reading through if you're going AC. http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/zeasu/dungeon_strategy_ascalonian_catacombs_story_mode/

Einbroch

Banned
Wait wait wait. Is this how the game works:

Level 80 with level 70 gear becomes a 30 with level 26 gear.

Or:

Level 80 with level 70 gear becomes a level 30 with level 30 gear.

Which is it?

Edit: I see. so, where's the problem?

kayos90

Wait wait wait. Is this how the game works:

Level 80 with level 70 gear becomes a 30 with level 26 gear.

Or:

Level 80 with level 70 gear becomes a level 30 with level 30 gear.

Which is it?

Edit: I see. so, where's the problem?

The former.

Ferrio

Banned
So why are people outraged? Makes sense to me.

I think because it's so different that people have a hard time wrapping their head around it. Like an example someone put, was if they went into a dungeon at lvl 30, with lvl 30 gear... then went into it at lvl 40 with that same gear.. it'd be harder and that's unfair. Which it's not unfair and it's how it should be, but it's a foreign concept to people.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Oh no, we have to maintain our gear. What a crime.

XeroSauce

So why are people outraged? Makes sense to me.

Okay, here is why I don't like this:

As a level 80 with level 70 gear:

You were already level 30, so you've already done anything a level 30 would have to do.

You SHOULD be punished for doing level 80 content with level 70 gear.

You should not be punished for doing level 30 content with level 70 gear, just because you decided to gain a few more levels. It makes it seem less desirable to go help your lower-level buddies because all of a sudden you have to work your butt off to get level 80 gear, just to do level 30 content without penalties, which isn't right.​

^ I think that's the problem people are having.

EDIT: My question is, if you are a level 80 going into a level 30 dungeon with level 70 gear, what kind of gear drops? Level 30, level 70, or level 80?

Artanisix

So.. People have to maintain their gear and can't coast through lower level content looking for upgrades.

Boohoo.

How is it coasting through lower level content?

Did you coast through explore mode at 35 with level 35 gear? No? Then why would it be different?

The dungeons don't have to drop gear at your level, they can drop gear at your minimum ilvl instead or something else. Hell AC explore drops tokens only for level 60 gear.

You SHOULD be punished for doing level 80 content with level 70 gear.

You should not be punished for doing level 30 content with level 70 gear, just because you decided to gain a few more levels. It makes it seem less desirable to go help your lower-level buddies because all of a sudden you have to work your butt off to get level 80 gear, just to do level 30 content without penalties, which isn't right.

^ I think that's the problem people are having.

Yes, that sums it up. "BOOHOO YOU HAVE TO KEEP UP WITH GEAR," and then people in this thread saying don't buy karma gear while leveling, just save it up. Lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom