• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
The order is 3, 1, 2. The level 30 with perfect 30 gear has traits and such to give him the edge. The level 20 is not scaled. The level 30 with perfect level 20 gear is the worst because his gear is scaled.

I'm not going to claim I know the scaling algorithm, or if it's truly ratiometric. Regardless, that level 30 with level 20 gear will do worse than a level 20 with the same gear.
Okay now I feel like I'm back to square one. Doesn't your order put the level 30 with 30 gear as weaker than the level 20 with 20 gear?
What's your source? I'd love some more info on the subject.
I have no source whatsoever and I don't know where this info originated, I'm piecing it together from the eternal carousel that is the last few pages just like you're trying to do right now; the difference between littlegator and I is that I support it working the way he claims it works (though I have no idea what kind of impact we're actually discussing in practice at all).

Okay now I feel like I'm back to square one. Doesn't your order put the level 30 with 30 gear as weaker than the level 20 with 20 gear?

I have no source whatsoever and I don't know where this info originated, I'm piecing it together from the eternal carousel that is the last few pages just like you're trying to do right now; the difference between littlegator and I is that I support it working the way he claims it works (though I have no idea what kind of impact we're actually discussing in practice at all).

Sorry, I meant strongest to weakest.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
But roles are now defined by traits. Glass cannon, mitigation, support.
I have a "Jack of all trades" trait build and it hasn't been a problem in a single instance so far and I've done 3. In story mode, yes, but my build still felt viable.

Anilusion

The order is 3, 1, 2. The level 30 with perfect 30 gear has traits and such to give him the edge. The level 20 is not scaled. The level 30 with perfect level 20 gear is the worst because his gear is scaled.

I'm not going to claim I know the scaling algorithm, or if it's truly ratiometric. Regardless, that level 30 with level 20 gear will do worse than a level 20 with the same gear.

So let's say I level up in the middle of an instance run while being downleveled, I would actually be weaker than before because my gear would scale down? That sounds like an incredibly poorly designed system.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
But roles are now defined by traits. Glass cannon, mitigation, support.

You should not have to respec or continuously swap traits just for single encounters - you should play how you want, not how the game dictates.

Your complaining that you specialize? Seriously?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Theres a 35-45 and a 45-55 arent there? Either way I already 100%ed Harathi and I find that zones are ususlly good for about 6 levels, not 10

And two 40-50 zones.

Dredgehaunt Hills and Blazeridge Steppes are both 40-50.

There are plenty of places to go at your level.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
So let's say I level up in the middle of an instance run while being downleveled, I would actually be weaker than before because my gear would scale down? That sounds like an incredibly poorly designed system.
He did claim that, and kayos said that the stat checks involve with very tiny numbers would indicate that but I very much kind of don't buy it at all. I mean... I leveled from 38-39 in AC wearing ~30 gear and I surely did not get weaker in the process. *shrrrrruuuugg*

Ken

The dungeons make me hate this game either because I'm terrible, this game has the hardest/worst dungeons ever, or I don't understand how to work around the absence of true tanks/healers.

thetrin

Oh yeah I know, those are the zones Im not really feeling

I thought they were fun, but fair enough. Blazeridge especially is awesome. I guess I really enjoyed fighting the Branded.

The dungeons make me hate this game either because I'm terrible, this game has the hardest/worst dungeons ever, or I don't understand how to work around the absence of true tanks/healers.

Do the later dungeons get harder? aC was hard, CM was easy, and TA was easier than AC.

So far I really like the dungeons.

The workaround is "everyone does their job and pays attention."

It's hard to say for sure that you'll actually do less damage, depending on how other things scale, like traits and whatnot.

You sword WILL contribute less damage, though.

Ken

Do the later dungeons get harder? aC was hard, CM was easy, and TA was easier than AC.

So far I really like the dungeons.

The workaround is "everyone does their job and pays attention."

IMO, AC was hard, CM was easy, didn't do TA, and SE was frustrating.

So what is a Guardian's job supposed to be? Maybe it's just me, but 2 dodges, 4 blocks, and 2 blinds doesn't prevent me from melting to the first mob of SE story mode. Also, the second Golem on SE (the one with all the burns) makes it impossible to get close and do anything with a Guardian so I had to hide behind the fence and poke with my staff.

Maybe I'll just start working on my engineer.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
From the AN Twitter:
Hey everyone: we're aware of the reports of Error 900 / login issues. We've reported this to the team and they will take care of it. ^RB

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
IMO, AC was hard, CM was easy, didn't do TA, and SE was frustrating.

Out of those, barring TA of course, which one was your favorite? Which one was your least favorite?

I've only done AC so far, so I'm still new to the dungeon experience in GW2. I plan to change that this weekend though, hopefully with doing CM and TA and maybe AC explorable.

Kuraine

Neo Member
Just a heads up, I was having that issue with the boss who went determined and was unable to kill it, well I waited the whole hour and was able to kill it lol, and here is a video of his Determined buff wearing off (spoiler alert)

I might very well be the first person to wait out the whole hour for this buff to wear, at the very least I'm the first to fraps it lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiVwv3dx5ug&feature=youtu.be

You are hilarious and awesome ;) Yeah, it's a shame that the boss got bugged out like that for you. Ordinarily, it just puts up invulnerability while teleporting to the center & three corners of the room. Something must have interrupted its behavior while trying to do that, hence the buff of eternity.

inky

Just a heads up, I was having that issue with the boss who went determined and was unable to kill it, well I waited the whole hour and was able to kill it lol, and here is a video of his Determined buff wearing off (spoiler alert)

I might very well be the first person to wait out the whole hour for this buff to wear, at the very least I'm the first to fraps it lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiVwv3dx5ug&feature=youtu.be

That happened to me. If you walk out of the room and in again the guy resets and I'm sure you would've kill it well before an hour had passed, lol :p

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Just leveled from 39 to 40 in Kessex with no armor, and bought a full set of level 40 armor in Rata Sum for the inordinate sum of 9 silver 30 copper or so. :p

Ken

Out of those, barring TA of course, which one was your favorite? Which one was your least favorite?

I've only done AC so far, so I'm still new to the dungeon experience in GW2. I plan to change that this weekend though, hopefully with doing CM and TA and maybe AC explorable.

Honestly, I only liked CM because of how smooth my runs in it have been. Maybe I just happened to have a good party or something, but both AC and SE often resulted in my group throwing bodies at bosses, die, respawn, and throw more bodies. Does not make for fun gameplay. Also, dying without know what happened is also frustrating.

Maybe it's just me not knowing how to play my Guardian in a dungeon/team environment.

Everything just seems reaaaaally difficult for the level, and this is just story mode.

SE does have this though: spoiler image for final boss of SE

Vodh

We're not talking about trait points, we're talking about gear.

Regardless, why is that scenario different than this?

I'm in a dungeon. I have a sword. I finish the dungeon. I gain 10 level crafting. I enter the same dungeon. My sword does less damage.

It's not different. It's the same shit. People keep throwing caveats at it like "bububu you can buy gear for really cheap, giving up your runes and skins, to be competitive!" It doesn't matter. At the core, you're making players make up for bad game design. Leveling up should not have a significant negative impact.

Gonna link my post since I believe you missed it, from couple pages ago:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=41794968&postcount=15027

And to address your current arguments - yeah, the fact that leveling up in a dungeon makes you actually weaker is a little bit unfortunate, but ultimately, the change isn't really significant if it's even true. Definitely worth testing.

But the situation where you gain levels by crafting is different. It makes you stronger in the areas for your current level, it makes it easier to find gear that will make you even stronger... The way zones are designed there are at least a few where you'll be stronger. And if you want to be strong in the lower level zones just upgrade your gear.

Sure, it would be nice if every single level and every single better piece of equipment made you stronger everywhere, but that's simply not possible, for the reasons I have outlined in the linked post.

Your concerns are 100% valid and I honestly can see how they can be a bit irritating, but that's all they are - with the gear being as easy to upgrade as it is, it really is just a matter of buying some temporary upgrades and voila, you're stronger. All you have to do is spend some silver along the levels you've gained and you get stroner in all the zones. And it's the price you pay for the fact that every single zone is a viable place to play at the max level.

Proven

We're not talking about trait points, we're talking about gear.

Regardless, why is that scenario different than this?

I'm in a dungeon. I have a sword. I finish the dungeon. I gain 10 level crafting. I enter the same dungeon. My sword does less damage.

It's not different. It's the same shit. People keep throwing caveats at it like "bububu you can buy gear for really cheap, giving up your runes and skins, to be competitive!" It doesn't matter. At the core, you're making players make up for bad game design. Leveling up should not have a significant negative impact.

Your bolded is already solved. You level up in a dungeon. The sword is weaker. But it's not a significant impact.

You gain 10 levels. This is now significant, since you could have regeared once or twice in that time frame. You have the trading post. You can run around and kill a bunch of random enemies. You can even go into the dungeon and get gear from that. You may even get better gear, making you stronger mid-dungeon.

You're right, it should not have a significant impact in a dungeon. And it does not. And it's a system that isn't 100% perfect but solves many of the problems across using a scaling system in both PvE and WvW. That's what makes it good game design.

Jack_AG

Banned
I dont think that was their philosophy. Their philosophy was to create characters to fit any role so you didnt have to wait on a tank. Your group needs more support? Well, either you or someone else traiit into more support.

I dont think their goal was to let 5 glass cannons cheese through it. Their goal was to make it so that no one was waiting around for a tank or a healer

Well, thats dungeons and bosses for you sicne they are scripted and certain strategies are better than others. If you dont want to feel obligated to use the best strategy in those instances, then simply do story mode, or not do dungeons at all. Because dungeons dictate how you should play much much more than regular PvE, and there is no getting around that since its simply the nature of the game mode
Roles are the same thing as classes. If you need a soaker, support and damage dealer - there's the roles - there's the trinity, but in a different form.

Getting rid of the trinity means nobody should ever need to spec one way or another but youre saying that's not the case - meaning ANet hasn't suceeded. The main difference is that instead of having a clearly defined roll - support and mitigation are an aside to dealing damage. That's not getting rid of the trinity, that's toning it down - it still exists in some form.

I'm not saying its bad - I'm saying that the idea that youre not forced into specific builds to succeed isnt clearly evident - as I found myself respeccing after my first dungeon run. Bring any class still, apparently, doesn't mean bring any spec.

In this regard I think 5-mans are too large to ditch this trinity effort. Maybe 3-man design can do it - but not 5.

If you are respeccing for a dungeon or even swapping traits for a single encounter - the idea of "bring any class" doesn't mean jack shit. It still boils down to the same MMO mumbo jumbo of "lol you aren't 3/3 in X talent? But we need that for this fight!" BS I grew tired of in other MMOs.

This is one of the reasons I dislike trait/talent systems - if I want to be successful at X I need to soec into Y.

Can't I just be successful with my own skill at playing the game? I suppose that would dumb-down encounters but games like the Souls series show that's not the case and can be done with a degree of difficulty without having to change how you want to play. Brings me right back to 3 mans... hell i'd even love to see 2-man content.

Proven

Roles are the same thing as classes. If you need a soaker, support and damage dealer - there's the roles - there's the trinity, but in a different form.

Getting rid of the trinity means nobody should ever need to spec one way or another but youre saying that's not the case - meaning ANet hasn't suceeded. The main difference is that instead of having a clearly defined roll - support and mitigation are an aside to dealing damage. That's not getting rid of the trinity, that's toning it down - it still exists in some form.

I'm not saying its bad - I'm saying that the idea that youre not forced into specific builds to succeed isnt clearly evident - as I found myself respeccing after my first dungeon run. Bring any class still, apparently, doesn't mean bring any spec.

In this regard I think 5-mans are too large to ditch this trinity effort. Maybe 3-man design can do it - but not 5.

If you are respeccing for a dungeon or even swapping traits for a single encounter - the idea of "bring any class" doesn't mean jack shit. It still boils down to the same MMO mumbo jumbo of "lol you aren't 3/3 in X talent? But we need that for this fight!" BS I grew tired of in other MMOs.

This is one of the reasons I dislike trait/talent systems - if I want to be successful at X I need to soec into Y.

Can't I just be successful with my own skill at playing the game? I suppose that would dumb-down encounters but games like the Souls series show that's not the case and can be done with a degree of difficulty without having to change how you want to play. Brings me right back to 3 mans... hell i'd even love to see 2-man content.

This is pretty much why I keep hearing complaints about the bosses being simple. Make them a little difficult, and people start going into roles to solve the problem. Make them too simple, and you can bring whatever you want into the dungeon but then people start complaining that the bosses are too simple/easy.

What does seem to work is having some form of "jack of all trades" in your build. Having roots/immobilizes/stuns for mitigation and control, your own way to deal a respectable amount of damage, and some way to add boons or do condition removal for support, are all necessary. There are very few builds that can do just one. I keep running into people that want to 100% their builds in one direction, essentially specializing into a role which causes problems with other people who aren't in lockstep with them.

My current theory is that specializing will get you killed unless you're all specializing, and then you should probably just play sPvP. Otherwise playing in a way that allows you to just switch a weapon or a utility for the situation is something that works in general PvE as well as it does in dungeons.

But, I need to play more.

Play how you want, mirite?
sPvP is a different beast, and when it comes to just pick up games you still can play what you like. People here are asking for guidance anyway instead of searching things out themselves. It's a similar problem to people sucking at dungeons.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Forgot that tier 3 talents cost 2g, and I ended up spending all my money on cooking. Completely demotivated to play now -_-. Think I'm done.

Proven

You... shouldn't spend all your money on any one thing...

And you can make it back in a few days of playing...

In the meantime, those extra trait points you get while leveling up can still be used in the other trait lines...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom