• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is pug unfriendly I'll give you that but sPVP was designed to be hardcore. Maybe they should put a pug only version in or something.

It wouldn't help make it any better. It's just no fun unless you play with a coordinated team, it's not really about playing against other pugs only. WvWvW works better for pugs since it's really objective based and you know what you should be doing with so much to do.

I'm not actually understanding your words here.

Are you saying a level 30 with 30 gear should be worse after he gains 20 levels by crafting? What if he gains a couple levels by exploring cities? What if he runs through zones to harvest nodes? They're legitimate options for playing that don't involve combat or loot drops.

Anet built a game that provides multiple options for how to play and how to level up. A very limited scope of those options involves getting loot. Thus, scaling your current gear relative to your current level is not logical.

But it's OK, I was gone for a meeting and enough people said I'm wrong without giving reasons, so I've lost the argument now.

The reason is that the game falls apart if you can perform optimally at level 50 with gear that's outdated by 20 levels; logic has zilch to do with it. The fact that the dungeon was originally level 30 is entirely irrelevant, because for all intents and purposes it is a level 50 dungeon to you now (for one and most importantly, it drops level 50 gear).

Would it be easier to understand if it was the dungeon itself that turned into a level 50 dungeon, rather than you turning into a level 30 character? Would you then understand why you can't run around in it in level 30 gear and expect to do well?

I think these are good enough reasons; feel free to pick them apart but I'd rather you didn't ignore them wholesale and then posted that nobody gave you any reason.

gatti-man

So basically it looks like GW2 is going to keep running fairly bad (compared to AMD) on high end Nvidia (kepler) hardware.

I got this response over at Guru3D from a Nvidia rep

I have my i5-2500k running at 4.7GHZ.

that's a shame. The 7970 slices and dices this game or me so far. Never experienced slow down or choppy frames at max 2560x1600.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
The reason is that the game falls apart if you can perform optimally at level 50 with gear that's outdated by 20 levels; logic has zilch to do with it. The fact that the dungeon was originally level 30 is entirely irrelevant, because for all intents and purposes it is a level 50 dungeon to you now (for one and most importantly, it drops level 50 gear).

Would it be easier to understand if it was the dungeon itself that turned into a level 50 dungeon, rather than you turning into a level 30 character? Would you then understand why you can't run around in it in level 30 gear and expect to do well?

I think these are good enough reasons; feel free to pick them apart but I'd rather you didn't ignore them wholesale and then posted that nobody gave you any reason.

I love you.

That is one of the things I like. I like to just goof around and go look at the whole zone and uncover the blurry part of the map, and I love it when the npc's run up to you and get a de started.

I had one of those NPC's run up to me today, then immediately get attacked by a passing elemental rock creature. Was funny.

But yeah, I even enjoy jumping in to help in the events I've already participated in, should they be happening again when I am passing through.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
They're legitimate options for playing that don't involve combat or loot drops.

Anet built a game that provides multiple options for how to play and how to level up.
Indeed any hope you have for making this argument stronger falls apart when you evoke this point.

There are absolutely ways to level, and indeed play and enjoy the game wholeheartedly without anything having to do with combat or loot drops.

Dungeons are not one of them.

If you want to participate in a dungeon, you should be properly geared up for it, no matter your level. It doesn't need to get any more complicated than that.
HAHA I'm fine, that stuff doesn't bother me. I'll be alright. I feel like I've been hit by a truck and slept all day, other than that I'm fine.
Well feel better soon! I'll be on for a bit longer still if you need any help with anything.

Complistic

Is there definately going to be an expansion, and will it cost?

I'd say the crystal desert and maybe elona is a certainty. Cantha if we're lucky. But I could see them creating an entirely new continent or something down the road as well. Campaigns and expansions are after all how they're going to make most of their money since we're not subscribing.

I don't suspect much will be free other than new events and such in the areas we already have.

Deitus

There will definitely be paid expansions in the future. They have said that they split their development team in half once the game launched. The first half will be the live team, and will focus on bug fixes, balance patches, and free content updates. The second team will focus on developing expansions.

I don't think they have decided on a price point for the expansions yet. But considering how much content we are getting in the main game with no monthly fee, we will definitely get our money's worth in the expansion, however much they charge.

Arksy

It's almost definite that there will be boxed expansions and it is likely they will have a cost. That's not to say that's the only time we'll be seeing added content. ArenaNet said themselves they want GW2 to be the best supported MMO in the Market. We'll see how that goes once they get the game under their firm control. It must be nuts around the office at the moment and checking my server it doesn't seem to be dying down at all. What about for you guys?

Jack_AG

Banned
Yes, from what I've seen combo fields make a big difference. I always adjust traits, weapons and utilities when I go into a dungeon.

When I first went into Ascalon Catacombs as a Mesmer, I was running Greatsword and Staff, with Decoy, Radiation Field, and Signet of Inspiration. The Signet was to supposedly use its activate function and share my boons.

Going through the dungeon, I realized I wasn't getting enough boons to help out the group. Then there were the Ranger mobs that presented their own issue. I then changed my setup to Staff and Scepter/Focus, with Mirrored Feedback replacing Signet of Inspirations. This allowed my Feedback bubble and my iWarden to nullify the Rangers, and my temporal curtain to pull mobs away from each other.

Versus the final boss, I dropped the Focus for Pistol as it was an easier interrupt and the iDuelist projtectile finishers worked better with Guardian and my own Chaos combo fields. Feedback wasn't as useful in this situation, so I changed it to Blink to get out of foefire instantly.

Stacking light fields and smoke fields to create condition removals, heals and blinds is very effective. My chaos fields apply confusion for extra damage, but can easily buff my melee allies with Chaos Armor which can grant multiple life saving boons.
Great strategy - but isnt it counter to ANet's design? The whole "you shouldn't need to be X spec in dungeons" thing? Essentially, the trinity has been replaced by the type of spec you choose... which creates a seperate, analagous conundrum.

etiolate

Banned
Great strategy - but isnt it counter to ANet's design? The whole "you shouldn't need to be X spec in dungeons" thing? Essentially, the trinity has been replaced by the type of spec you choose... which creates a seperate, analagous conundrum.

I thought ANet's design was "you shouldn't have to be X role", not that there wouldn't be scenarios where you wouldn't need to adjust your setup for the situation. If there's a lot of conditions then bringing condi removal is good strategy without sacrificing your entire build. I only sacrificed greatsword for Scepter/Focus, but it wasn't a huge change. I might be able to other approaches as well, but I've only run AC once.

I ran CM twice and did one run as melee with good success. On the second run, I swapped out swords for Greatsword/Staff and did it ranged. In both runs I used my Golem Suit elite because it's a good counter to the hard hitting bosses.

I will say due to the Staff's great support, offense and defensive measures, it may become like a standard dungeon running weapon for Mesmers. I can see something like that developing, though I think that is more a class issue and an issue with Scepter's meh value right now. I really only used Scepter to keep at range and have some clutch blocks. Blocking the Lietenant in AC felt pretty clutch, as I quickly switched to scepter and hit the block skill as he wound up his attack.

Going off the design of PVE in Guild Wars Nightfall and EotN, I fully expected there to be dungeons and scenarios that called for you to bring certain types of skills. It's one of the trademarks of a deck system RPG.

Jack_AG

Banned
There is some weapon swap cooldown after I blow through both sets of skills; I can see a timer.
I think he was speaking in terms of lag... of which there has been a lot since launch. It has died down but the game isnt anywhere near as responsive as the BWEs and stress tests I've been in.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
The level 25 trait under Virtues for Guardian is so perfect. "You deal extra damage the more boons you have".

Popping all of your virtues makes you into a god damn powerhouse.

I love guardian.

I... Didn't even see that. After you activate "save yourselves!" (best.skill.ever) you have like 10 boons on yourself. This gun be good

Deitus

I don't think it is counter to their design. The intention in removing the trinity was not to make every strategy equally viable. If every strategy is viable, then there is no strategy at all.

The intention of removing the trinity was twofold. Firstly, every MMO encounter was designed around the trinity mechanics, and this led to stagnation in encounter design. By replacing the trinity, they get more freedom in how they can design encounters. Even if they replace the trinity with a different trinity (which I don't believe they have done), they can at least design encounters different than every other MMO.

The second thing they were trying to eliminate was the idea that the entire mechanic of an encounter, and the success of that encounter entirely hinges on the contribution of only a couple members. As a DPS, there are certainly ways you can screw up and get yourself or your party killed, but if a tank or a healer makes a mistake, you WILL die and there's nothing you can do about it (except maybe run for your life). And further this created a situation where certain classes were basically necessary, and other classes were just there, and if you had a free slot in your party maybe they can come along. By eliminating this, they make every player accountable for the success of an encounter. If someone screws up, you can use heals, dodges, and control skills to keep yourself alive. That doesn't mean you shouldn't use support abilities, it doesn't even mean that you shouldn't be forced to build for support in some instances. It just means that a single support character isn't the only thing standing between success and a wipe.

Jack_AG

Banned
I thought ANet's design was "you shouldn't have to be X role", not that there wouldn't be scenarios where you wouldn't need to adjust your setup for the situation. If there's a lot of conditions then bringing condi removal is good strategy without sacrificing your entire build. I only sacrificed greatsword for Scepter/Focus, but it wasn't a huge change. I might be able to other approaches as well, but I've only run AC once.

I ran CM twice and did one run as melee with good success. On the second run, I swapped out swords for Greatsword/Staff and did it ranged. In both runs I used my Golem Suit elite because it's a good counter to the hard hitting bosses.

I will say due to the Staff's great support, offense and defensive measures, it may become like a standard dungeon running weapon for Mesmers. I can see something like that developing, though I think that is more a class issue and an issue with Scepter's meh value right now. I really only used Scepter to keep at range and have some clutch blocks. Blocking the Lietenant in AC felt pretty clutch, as I quickly switched to scepter and hit the block skill as he wound up his attack.

Going off the design of PVE in Guild Wars Nightfall and EotN, I fully expected there to be dungeons and scenarios that called for you to bring certain types of skills. It's one of the trademarks of a deck system RPG.
But roles are now defined by traits. Glass cannon, mitigation, support.

You should not have to respec or continuously swap traits just for single encounters - you should play how you want, not how the game dictates.

Koeta

Just a heads up, I was having that issue with the boss who went determined and was unable to kill it, well I waited the whole hour and was able to kill it lol, and here is a video of his Determined buff wearing off (spoiler alert)

I might very well be the first person to wait out the whole hour for this buff to wear, at the very least I'm the first to fraps it lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiVwv3dx5ug&feature=youtu.be

"You should not have to respec or continuously swap traits just for single encounters - you should play how you want, not how the game dictates."

I made this point like 50 pages ago.

Rizific

so let me get this straight, are all of you characters tied to your home server? you cant have different chars on different servers?

Hmmm... let's see? Do I want a game that is consistently challenging (if sometimes frustrating) in its dungeon design or one where I can faceroll every dungeon until I get to the loot pinata at the end, rinse/repeat?

Are you talking to me? I think you should read the thread.

This tells me that either you didn't read their posts or you fail to understand explanations. Again.

They didn't give explanations. Ashodin only explained how the current system works, which I clearly know, and Miktar said I live in an alternate reality. There weren't reasons given. There weren't arguments presented.

This is how the discussion is going. I bring up a logical point and ask a logical question about it. I'm presented with "that's how it should work!!" and "why is it so hard for you to get gear??"

I will present my rhetorical argument as a syllogism, since you're insisting that I'm not arguing properly. (By the way, if you look at my posts, you'll find that I post only facts and my logic about those facts. I'm being confronted with much worse. Saying I'm arguing improperly doesn't magically make it so. I keep reiterating points because they are points that I feel to be logically correct, and have received no logical arguments against them).

Minor premise: Characters are described by levels, indicating their progress in the game.
Major premise: The game rewards players equally for doing anything they wish in the game.
Conclusion: The level of a character indicates their progress across a broad spectrum of possible activities.

Minor premise: The quality of the equipment provided in the game depends on the character's level.
Major premise: Higher tiered gear is only gotten through quests, combat, or high-level crafting.
Conclusion: Getting better gear is not as likely when doing certain activities in the game.

Minor premise: Conclusion 1.
Major premise: Conclusion 2.
Conclusion: Characters can be at high levels without having high-leveled gear.

Minor premise: Conclusion 3.
Major premise: Areas under the player's level scale down their gear relative to their level.
Conclusion: As a player levels up, gear becomes less effective when scaled. That is, a sword will do less damage at a higher level.

Minor premise: You are encouraged to play the game in a variety of ways.
Minor premise: Conclusion 2. Some of the ways to level up will not grant better gear.
Minor premise: Conclusion 3. Characters can be at high levels without having high-leveled gear.
Major premise: Conclusion 4. As a player levels up, lower level gear becomes less effective.
Conclusion: Characters who gain levels by doing things that do not provide gear will have even less effective gear than it already is.

Minor premise: You are encourage to play the game in a variety of ways.
Major premise: To get new gear, you must partake in combat, quests, or purchase gear.

False premise. The major premise and the minor premise are mutually exclusive.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Today finally saw 2 members from the GAFO guild. Was cool seeing the second guild running around. We were all in the fire elemental place by chance. Dear god is that fight the thing nightmares are made of D:

kayos90

Are you talking to me? I think you should read the thread.

They didn't give explanations. Ashodin only explained how the current system works, which I clearly know, and Miktar said I live in an alternate reality. There weren't reasons given. There weren't arguments presented.

This is how the discussion is going. I bring up a logical point and ask a logical question about it. I'm presented with "that's how it should work!!" and "why is it so hard for you to get gear??"

I will present my rhetorical argument as a syllogism, since you're insisting that I'm not arguing properly. (By the way, if you look at my posts, you'll find that I post only facts and my logic about those facts. I'm being confronted with much worse. Saying I'm arguing improperly doesn't magically make it so. I keep reiterating points because they are points that I feel to be logically correct, and have received no logical arguments against them).

Minor premise: Characters are described by levels, indicating their progress in the game.
Major premise: The game rewards players equally for doing anything they wish in the game.
Conclusion: The level of a character indicates their progress across a broad spectrum of possible activities.

Minor premise: The quality of the equipment provided in the game depends on the character's level.
Major premise: Higher tiered gear is only gotten through quests, combat, or high-level crafting.
Conclusion: Getting better gear is not as likely when doing certain activities in the game.

Minor premise: Conclusion 1.
Major premise: Conclusion 2.
Conclusion: Characters can be at high levels without having high-leveled gear.

Minor premise: Conclusion 3.
Major premise: Areas under the player's level scale down their gear relative to their level.
Conclusion: As a player levels up, gear becomes less effective. That is, a sword will do less damage at a higher level.

Minor premise: You are encouraged to play the game in a variety of ways.
Minor premise: Conclusion 2. Some of the ways to level up will not grant better gear.
Minor premise: Conclusion 3. Characters can be at high levels without having high-leveled gear.
Major premise: Conclusion 4. As a player levels up, lower level gear becomes less effective.
Conclusion: Characters who gain levels by doing things that do not provide gear will have even less effective gear than it already is.

Minor premise: You are encourage to play the game in a variety of ways.
Major premise: To get new gear, you must partake in combat, quests, or purchase gear.

False premise. The major premise and the minor premise are mutually exclusive.

You pretty much answered and figured out what we're trying to say. Are you still saying that you do not understand what we're trying to say? If you don't understand after pointing that out then I question not your ability to break down syllogism and enthymemes but your ability to comprehend game design.

Macattk15

Wish there was more to look forward to when leveling up.

It's getting pretty damn boring at 60 doing the same thing I've been doing since level 10.

You pretty much answered and figured out what we're trying to say. Are you still saying that you do not understand what we're trying to say? If you don't understand after pointing that out then I question not your ability to break down syllogism and enthymemes but your ability to comprehend game design.

No, my ability to comprehend game design is just fine. I'm sure you think you're in a position of superiority because you're a freelance game reviewer, but you're still not providing logical responses.

I'm in a dungeon. I have a sword. I level up. My sword does less damage.

Explain that.

kayos90

No, my ability to comprehend game design is just fine. I'm sure you think you're in a position of superiority because you're a freelance game reviewer, but you're still not providing logical responses.

Explain that.

That's a bold assumption and one that's incorrect. Sorry but one has to be a good writer, not a good gamer/someone who understands game design to be a reviewer/journalist. It helps in the profession if one has the understanding of games but they are not associated things. One can be a reviewer and not have complex understanding of game design. It helps since the reviewer will put out more detailed and elaborate content, yes, but they are not one in the same. My understanding of game design comes from critically analyzing it, countless hours of discussing and understanding gameplay, as well as talking to game designers. Please refrain from making poor enthymemes and a possible ad hominem. It's not doing your argument justice - not that my ad hominems are helping much since you're frustrating me.

Regardless, you've pretty much laid out what we're trying to say. I still don't see what your intentions are. You've laid out your position. You've written out ours. What exactly is the issue? Are you trying to win the discourse by trying to convince me you're right and I'm wrong?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

Explain that.
First of all, you just completely undermined your entire argument with that "simple" example, because that scenario would absolutely never occur. If you weren't at max level when you entered the dungeon, there's no WAY that leveling up in the dungeon would suddenly make your character weaker. The gap between you outpacing your gear enough to have an impact in scaling and the increase in stats associated with a level up is pretty substantial.

Second of all, nothing in your incredibly well-assembled list of syllogisms addresses the fact that the gear you receive from drops in the dungeon will be scaled to your actual character level. Do you have any points that address this? Can't you see how it would be ridiculous if you could just replay the easiest dungeon without having kept your character upgraded?
Today finally saw 2 members from the GAFO guild. Was cool seeing the second guild running around. We were all in the fire elemental place by chance. Dear god is that fight the thing nightmares are made of D:
I've learned to love it <3 Spend as little time as possible on the bridge.

That's a bold assumption and one that's incorrect. Sorry but one has to be a good writer, not a good gamer/someone who understands game design to be a reviewer/journalist. It helps in the profession if one has the understanding of games but they are not associated things. One can be a reviewer and not have complex understanding of game design. It helps since the reviewer will put out more detailed and elaborate content, yes, but they are not one in the same. My understanding of game design comes from critically analyzing it, countless hours of discussing and understanding gameplay, as well as talking to game designers. Please refrain from making poor enthymemes and a possible ad hominem. It's not doing your argument justice - not that my ad hominems are helping much since you're frustrating me.

Regardless, you've pretty much laid out what we're trying to say. I still don't see what your intentions are. You've laid out your position. You've written out ours. What exactly is the issue? Are you trying to win the discourse by trying to convince me you're right and I'm wrong?

I'm trying to get you to provide a logical argument to the idea at the end of the post.

Tell me how that is good game design.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I just addressed this but since you're doubling down on it do you have empirical evidence that this scenario would actually ever occur (especially because you could apply your trait point right there in the dungeon)?

kayos90

I just addressed this but since you're doubling down on it do you have empirical evidence that this scenario would actually ever occur (especially because you could apply your trait point right there in the dungeon)?

Sorry Hawkian, but you're actually wrong in this case. In that scenario he has a valid point.

We're not talking about trait points, we're talking about gear.

Regardless, why is that scenario different than this?

I'm in a dungeon. I have a sword. I finish the dungeon. I gain 10 level crafting. I enter the same dungeon. My sword does less damage.

It's not different. It's the same shit. People keep throwing caveats at it like "bububu you can buy gear for really cheap, giving up your runes and skins, to be competitive!" It doesn't matter. At the core, you're making players make up for bad game design. Leveling up should not have a significant negative impact.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Sorry Hawkian, but you're actually wrong in this case. In that scenario he has a valid point.
I don't understand at all how that could occur.

This I get:

You do the dungeon at 30. You do a certain amount of damage.

You come back to the dungeon at 50, without having upgraded your gear. You do less damage than you would have at 30, because of the scaling.

You then level from 50 to 51 in the dungeon, and you do less damage than you did at 50? Can we legitimately prove this?
Regardless, why is that scenario different than this?

I'm in a dungeon. I have a sword. I finish the dungeon. I gain 10 level crafting. I enter the same dungeon. My sword does less damage.[/b]
I think 10 levels outside the dungeon is a fairly significant difference from one level inside the dungeon... no?

Piecake

I dont think that was their philosophy. Their philosophy was to create characters to fit any role so you didnt have to wait on a tank. Your group needs more support? Well, either you or someone else traiit into more support.

I dont think their goal was to let 5 glass cannons cheese through it. Their goal was to make it so that no one was waiting around for a tank or a healer

But roles are now defined by traits. Glass cannon, mitigation, support.

You should not have to respec or continuously swap traits just for single encounters - you should play how you want, not how the game dictates.

Well, thats dungeons and bosses for you sicne they are scripted and certain strategies are better than others. If you dont want to feel obligated to use the best strategy in those instances, then simply do story mode, or not do dungeons at all. Because dungeons dictate how you should play much much more than regular PvE, and there is no getting around that since its simply the nature of the game mode

kayos90

I'm trying to get you to provide a logical argument to the idea at the end of the post.

Tell me how that is good game design.

I can only speak hypothetically since I can't test it right now. My assumption as to how it would properly work is that the range of your level and the item you're using and the disparity is so low, it becomes negligent.

Say for instance if you're lvl 79 and you're using lvl 78 gear and you're fighting in a lvl 30 zone. This means you're lvl 30 and your gear should be lvl 29.620. You level up. Now you're lvl 80 and your gear doesn't quite suit you anymore. Now your gear is comparitive to 29.25. The numbers are so low it becomes negligent. The concept is to punish those who are not paying attention to gear. Of course, this whole concept is irrelevent when you consider it doesn't really apply to lvl 80 since you can't level up.

Anilusion

Is there any good explanation avalible anywhere to how level scaling actually works? Or more importantly, gear scaling with levels. For example, disregarding traits, who has the better stats:
a level 20 with perfect level 20 gear
a level 30 with perfect level 20 gear downleveled to 20
or a level 30 with perfect level 30 gear downleveled to 20?

Is there even a difference between them?

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I've learned to love it <3 Spend as little time as possible on the bridge.

I seriously dont get why so many people bunch up on the bridge. Circle strafing that bastard is the best thing you can possibly do, all the while trying to run like hell from the massive hordes of minions and AOE spells. Which wouldnt be so bad if they didnt fucking knock you down when hit pretty much assuring a death due to how much damage you take from the burning damage.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Is there any good explanation avalible anywhere to how level scaling actually works? Or more importantly, gear scaling with levels. For example, disregarding traits, who has the better stats:

it only has any impact in dungeons

Strong
Weaker
Strongest

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Wish there was more to look forward to when leveling up.

It's getting pretty damn boring at 60 doing the same thing I've been doing since level 10.

Really? The events at 60 are a ton of fun, and there's definitely larger scale conflicts as you get to higher level zones. to each their own, I guess.

The order is 3, 1, 2. The level 30 with perfect 30 gear has traits and such to give him the edge. The level 20 is not scaled. The level 30 with perfect level 20 gear is the worst because his gear is scaled.

I'm not going to claim I know the scaling algorithm, or if it's truly ratiometric. Regardless, that level 30 with level 20 gear will do worse than a level 20 with the same gear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom