• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Wait...seriously?

Yup idk that screwup just kinda left a bad taste in my mouth, everything feels stale now xD--hard to explain, but I guess it's the same feeling you get when you lose a save and have to go back a few hours or hit a major bug in a single player game that just makes you rage quit. I might pick it up in a few days again, but right now I'm just turned off.

Ricker

I love the game and all but this is not a MMO to play solo...the My Story instance are hard as fuck and I never died so much from ordinary mobs in quite a while...maybe Mesmer is not for me also,might try something else.

Ken

I love the game and all but this is not a MMO to play solo...the My Story instance are hard as fuck and I never died so much from ordinary mobs in quite a while...maybe Mesmer is not for me also,might try something else.

I had a lot of trouble with on level Story quests on my Thief, but had no problems doing quests 2 levels higher than my current level on my Guardian.

Play how you want, mirite?

Well there will always be builds that are the best in spvp, I just wanted to look at some and see the reasoning behind the build, watch some videos, etc.

Edit: I have done some research myself using google, was just wondering if anyone had sites they check out.

I thought ANet's design was "you shouldn't have to be X role", not that there wouldn't be scenarios where you wouldn't need to adjust your setup for the situation. If there's a lot of conditions then bringing condi removal is good strategy without sacrificing your entire build. I only sacrificed greatsword for Scepter/Focus, but it wasn't a huge change. I might be able to other approaches as well, but I've only run AC once.

absolutely- it's not about ditching the concept of roles entirely but providing flexibility to a player so that each character can fulfill several roles simply by changing a weapon set and/or selecting a different utility load-out. It only takes a few button clicks to change my ranger from a glass-cannon to a buffing/healing support role, and I can even do this in the instance.

Minor premise: You are encourage to play the game in a variety of ways.
Major premise: To get new gear, you must partake in combat, quests, or purchase gear.

False premise. The major premise and the minor premise are mutually exclusive.

Those P's aren't mutually exclusive. The major premise offers at least 3 ways to acquire gear. The only way to not acquire gear would be to solely focus on non-gear crafting skills using materials from the TP (can't see how you could farm mats without getting into at least a couple of fights), in which case you aren't playing the game in a variety of ways (and still, that should earn you enough money, let's assume TP is working here ;), to purchase the new gear). So each of the "variety of ways" you are offered to play the game provides a mechanism to acquire better gear.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
You... shouldn't spend all your money on any one thing...

And you can make it back in a few days of playing...

In the meantime, those extra trait points you get while leveling up can still be used in the other trait lines...

Or... they could make the books cheaper.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
After reading up on the past... 10 pages or so that I missed, I wanna say one thing:

Good job kayos and Ferrio, you're bigger people than me. I would've given up after trying 3 different approaches for sure but you guys kept going... Hats down.

Also, do I REALLY wanna give Griffonrook run another try... that jumping puzzle is unfuriatingly hard. Not "norn fixed camera hard", just plain out "flying griffons engaging you in combat so you miss your jumps on a timed run in which you're not allowed to fight back or you won't get the reward" hard.

Piecake

I must be doing something wrong. I'm level 40 and barely have 2g.

The money adds up if you dont spend it. im sitting at about 6 gold at level 50 and maybe 2-3 of that gold has been made at the TP. easiest way to make money is to sell copper ore and any sort of cloth mat. Fine mats as well. Youll easily get plenty of money if you do that

khefka

Neo Member
"You should not have to respec or continuously swap traits just for single encounters - you should play how you want, not how the game dictates."

I made this point like 50 pages ago.
That just doesn't make sense at all. You can play how you want, but with the many different types of stats/abilities/etc. do you really expect to be optimized for every type of encounter? Maybe you find a build that is perfect to you, what about others that choose a build completely different that works for them? It sounds to me like you are getting into min/max territory, something I don't think any game will be able to get rid of.

There are always going to be optimized builds for specific encounters, just because you aren't that build at that time doesn't mean you can't come at it from a different angle based on your spec and still be useful. You have the ability to change utility skills, weapons, and armor which should at least give you some valid options. Playing the way you want should not be synonymous with having a one track mind approach.

After reading up on the past... 10 pages or so that I missed, I wanna say one thing:

Good job kayos and Ferrio, you're bigger people than me. I would've given up after trying 3 different approaches for sure but you guys kept going... Hats down.
No, that was the most mind numbing thing to read. Kayos kept erroneously thinking the debate was over the dictionary definition of a word, which it was not. Either way, I'm not sure why there was any further discussion after Vodh's post perfectly explained the issue in the same terms Littlegator was using. When it comes down to it though, there is no perfect way to handle the scaling situation that is both fair to all players and logical but the way it works seems like the best solution to me.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
That just doesn't make sense at all. You can play how you want, but with the many different types of stats/abilities/etc. do you really expect to be optimized for every type of encounter? Maybe you find a build that is perfect to you, what about others that choose a build completely different that works for them? It sounds to me like you are getting into min/max territory, something I don't think any game will be able to get rid of.

There are always going to be optimized builds for specific encounters, just because you aren't that build at that time doesn't mean you can't come at it from a different angle based on your spec and still be useful. You have the ability to change utility skills, weapons, and armor which should at least give you some valid options. Playing the way you want should not be synonymous with having a one track mind approach.

so. true.

swapping out two skills better suited to this dungeon are doing more than anything related to gear or level.

BillyBats

Banned
Been playing for 2 days. GREAT GAME. Some pluses and minuses.

+'s: Graphics, atmosphere, gameplay are really nice

Looking for views, points of interest, secret areas, really ads a lot to the game

Dynamic quests is a very refreshing change to the quest dynamic

Crafting is fun

-'s: The level scaling has pissed me off more than a couple times. For example, there is a
cave in the Norn area that I couldn't beat the last two mobs who were level 10. The
dungeon lowered me to 9 when I was actually 12. Part of rpgs and mmo's, for me, is
to get stronger and beat the shit out of mobs that used to jack you up. Maybe this
changes later on, I don't know.

I wish the events told you how many stages were contained in each one. I've been in
many where people would just leave after "stage 2" or so because the npc would go
off and continue their story. I think they are great but sometimes I even stand
around after they're over wondering if they are truly done. I also have no idea how
loot works in them. I have seen a chest appear only once and have taken down
huge enemies that took 15 minutes to beat with 30 people or so. It's strange to
be done with one of these fights and nothing happens at the end. People seem
to be standing around saying "That's it?"

So far, the story I'm on is pretty silly. I'm a huge fan of TOR and have become
spoiled by the writing and voice acting in that game.

Overall, so far, I think GW2 is incredible fun. I played for 6 hours straight the other day and I haven't played a game that long in one sitting for over ten years.

Ferny

I wish the events told you how many stages were contained in each one. I've been in
many where people would just leave after "stage 2" or so because the npc would go
off and continue their story. I think they are great but sometimes I even stand
around after they're over wondering if they are truly done. I also have no idea how
loot works in them. I have seen a chest appear only once and have taken down
huge enemies that took 15 minutes to beat with 30 people or so. It's strange to
be done with one of these fights and nothing happens at the end. People seem
to be standing around saying "That's it?"

The fun is actually sticking around and seeing if there is another event or not. Having a stage 1 or stage 2 would make the events boring after a while. You can take an alt and do that exact same event and do something that was totally missed the previous time so that to me makes it more important than knowing how many stages are in something before I do it.

Retne

The level scaling has pissed me off more than a couple times. For example, there is a
cave in the Norn area that I couldn't beat the last two mobs who were level 10. The
dungeon lowered me to 9 when I was actually 12. Part of rpgs and mmo's, for me, is
to get stronger and beat the shit out of mobs that used to jack you up. Maybe this

Once you've unlocked more skills and traits you will indeed be stronger but not in the stats category. It's more that you have more tools at your disposal than you did at the low level. You should have some synergy going on. It makes a big difference. If you fight single digit leveled monsters you'll notice a power difference though.

Ken

No, that was the most mind numbing thing to read. Kayos kept erroneously thinking the debate was over the dictionary definition of a word, which it was not. Either way, I'm not sure why there was any further discussion after Vodh's post perfectly explained the issue in the same terms Littlegator was using. When it comes down to it though, there is no perfect way to handle the scaling situation that is both fair to all players and logical but the way it works seems like the best solution to me.

Pro tip: Don't bring a Blind build into Sorrow's Embrace.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Part of rpgs and mmo's, for me, is
Come back once you got your first elite skill and try them. You'll still be "level 9" but... haha

Hi.

Excuse me while I interrupt your... fun... with a little secreenshot.

Screenshot381393.png

Jack_AG

Banned
Hmmm... I might just ditch PvE altogether. Even though my highest level character is now 43, everything just seems so... repetitive. I've pretty much done everything aside from PvP and ... well ... it's different - but still the same old MMO grind.

Most DEs are just defend this, guard this dude while he walks from A-B, kill this mob, etc. Nothing really ground-shaking or world-changing.

Fuck. I've come across a few DE's that I started when an NPC ran up to me - but the DE started so fucking far from where I was it was finished before I made it over there. What is that shit?

It does feel like the same old grind but with less of a payoff. You pretty much unlock every weapon skill in the game within the first hour of play, half of your utilities are /meh fillers that won't really make or break anything... there's hardly much to look forward to other than the way gear looks. I'm fine with that - since it's about playing the game and not a treadmill at level cap...

If the game, itself, was the main attraction - it has become quite bland after 43 levels. To me, the only thing to look forward to is a new dungeon every 10 or so levels... that's not exactly a reward. I'd rather have all dungeons unlocked from the get-go and just let me have at it and "play" the game. Moving through 10 levels just to open another dungeon has become the grind.

Each level gained should make me feel more powerful - but never does.

ANet made a fun game in concept but the carrot they dangle is rather small and placed on an obscenely large stick. I see a lot of wasted potential to introduce new gameplay elements and design choices in almost every zone that offer more than a 5 minute world impact before the DE spawns again.

I'm still not feeling the impact of my character as I had hoped, leveling is still a chore, leveling hasn't once made me feel more powerful, there's only so much exploration and jumping puzzles I can do before I get bored with them, dungeons are nice but not what I was hoping for, combat is great but there are a LOT of missed opportunities to flesh it out further, trait system is meh, crafting was a HUGE missed opportunity (discovery shouldn't be hailed as amazing - it should be THE standard way to craft), and more...

There's a lot it does right - but a lot it does wrong in the PvE aspect. I'm starting to hit CoH mode where I just make toons for the hell of it since you get bored of a class so quick with absolutely nothing to look forward to when you've unlocked everything you need for a few different specs by level 40. You just mash the same buttons for the next 40 levels, explore the same water, caves, grasslands, etc.

I find my current feeling towards the game rather interesting considering how much I've lauded it during the BWEs and even a bit today... but it just got to me this evening I guess.

Rpgmonkey

Well I hit 80 earlier today, but I still gain experience (and even get the little cheer when I "level up"). Any purpose to that or is it some weird quirk?

Sethos

Banned
Well I hit 80 earlier today, but I still gain experience (and even get the little cheer when I "level up"). Any purpose to that or is it some weird quirk?

You still gain skill points, so when you level up you get more until you got all the skills afaik.

Rpgmonkey

You still gain skill points, so when you level up you get more until you got all the skills afaik.

Gonna need those Skill points if you ant to hunt Legendary armor...a TON of skill Points too...

Ah, thanks. I read there was a vendor that takes skill points for special stuff but I had no idea how we were supposed to afford any of that without skipping a bunch of skills.

I managed to learn all of my skills before hitting 80 thanks to some really obsessive exploring, so it never occurred to me to look and see if I was getting more, heh.

Jack_AG

Banned
Ah, thanks. I read there was a vendor that takes skill points for special stuff but I had no idea how we were supposed to afford any of that without skipping a bunch of skills.

I managed to learn all of my skills before hitting 80 thanks to some really obsessive exploring, so it never occurred to me to look and see if I was getting more, heh.
I read 300sp for a piece. Don't quote me on that though - I don't recall if it was here or elsewhere or if that's a legit number.

mrgone

I really hope people stop mass listing stuff on the trading post for a single copper over the vendor dump price. It's great if you want to buy stuff, but it's making selling things for profit impossible (from what I've found so far anyways).

Piecake

I really hope people stop mass listing stuff on the trading post for a single copper over the vendor dump price. It's great if you want to buy stuff, but it's making selling things for profit impossible (from what I've found so far anyways).

There's simply too much armor in the AH since everyone is making it and finding it while demand for mats is pretty damn high. Im sure armor will go up eventually once people stop leveling crafting

Card Boy

Banned
I too have not been feeling the PvE, for both similar and different reasons. To me the game was built primarily for PvP and I think it shows: The PvP is much better.

Guild Wars 1 was built around PvP with it's 1300 skills and is the gold standard to beat, It's PvP still hasn't been beaten. WvWvW is a zerg fest mess, sPvP is ok outside Mesmers and Thieves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom