• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ferga

Building a community in the guild takes time. You can't just start talking about your day when you are mostly surrounded by strangers. I've been playing from headstart and even now I'd say I can't recognize more than 30-40 names in guild chat. I play as the character Adriane, I don't know how many people would recognize me either. That's 30 out of 500... you can't just build rapport instantly. Add in the fact that parties were fucked for days after launch and everyone is going through content for the first time at their own pace, it's understandable that many aren't grouping up. Still, if you asked in guild chat whether someone in XXX zone wanted to party up with you, I think anyone would agree to join you if they were there. As you do party up with people and do dungeon runs, you'll start to recognize people and it will get better. I also suspect people will get a lot more chatty when they reach 80 and stand around in LA doing nothing :p

In the words of Gaben, these things, they take time.

Guild runs. Even if they do take time to organize. I did Twilight Arbor with a group of guildies a couple of days ago and it took me a good 1-1.5 hours just to get the group ready. It's understandable... some folks don't meet the level requirements. Others have done it and would rather experience new content instead of grinding out a dungeon. So it took a while to get a group but we managed it. Then we found out that all 5 of us were doing it for the first time, so we had no idea how to do it. It took a little longer than I expect it would normally as we were learning the dungeon all the way through, but it was fun. Wiped a few times but we did our best, no one got annoyed and we finally did clear it together and it was a great feeling at the end.

There's no hurry to do dungeons in this game. Take your time to find a guild run and it will be a lot more pleasant.

I completely worded (well left out by the looks of it, I was distracted mid way through my reply) the part about the guild wrong. I was meant to say that those were my hopes for the guild. For people to open up and enjoy the game a lot more in that way in the future.

And the part on dungeons, all the guild runs I've had were enjoyable and fun.
But I'm just saying that I would appreciate them a bit more if people communicated a bit more. It feels exactly like map chat where noone types anything. Some of the runs i've had, people would way point after death and run right back into the action rambo style while I'm trying to group people up and get some focus going on. Maybe they have chat turned off or something, I'm not quite sure.

Rimshot

Hi,
Would it be possible to join the EU guild on Gangaf? :)
What username do I have to give, for the character? (Silver Musica)

Old news probably but...

Found the Splendid Pirate's Chest in Begger's Borrow last night. Had no idea it was there after all this time playing the game.

koji

I didn't feel a very strong connection with the other guild members. Maybe that's because the GAF guild is just too big? When you're 'connected' with so many people you aren't really connected with anyone in particular. I, for one, would be interested in a separate European GAF guild, to see if it can make things better.

I would probably feel a bit more into it with a smaller guild, too.

That's the thing with being in a 500 people guild, instead of 40 people you really get to know you have 500 you'll never get to know.

Also hard to connect GAFnames/charnames/GW2 account names to people.

+1 for a separate EU guild, maybe I'd try to be more social in a smaller guild (but that's up to the staff/officers offcourse)

In other news, dang SPVP is fun, still need to learn a lot though, really gets the blood pumping :)

I really cannot decide on a class, tried all of them now, and Warrior looks like the most fun, I love so many different weapons and weapon swap while fighting! At the same time I have difficulties with other classes:

1. Mesmer - zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

2. Ranger - not bad, didn't get a bow yet

3. Necromancer - F1 form is not so great, all the other spells are OK

4. Engineer - got one to lvl 8, not bad as well but I don't see him packing a punch

5. Thief - tried too little

6. Guardian - too similar to Warrior, CBA

Someone help me and tell me some great things about other classes!

jbortz78

So people how do you spec your Guardian?

Right now at lvl21 I have like 9 points in increased toughness, and 2 points in increased boon duration. And since i like most people like the greatsword Im aiming for toughness/vit so i can take some dmg. I also really like my Scepter/torch, but also like Mace/Shield.

Ken

So people how do you spec your Guardian?

Right now at lvl21 I have like 9 points in increased toughness, and 2 points in increased boon duration. And since i like most people like the greatsword Im aiming for toughness/vit so i can take some dmg. I also really like my Scepter/torch, but also like Mace/Shield.

10 to each of the bottom 3 traits helped. Does good damage and great survivability.

So the scaling works basically the same a PvP scaling in 10-49 PvP in SWTOR. Which I'm OK with.

What I'm not so OK with is the immediate scaling punishment for levelling a level or so beyond the content. Is it really necessary to scale my character from 12 to 11 for story quest? That's sorta nuts. It really rubs the salt in the wound when you *just* fail an encounter because without the scaling you would just have managed it. I feel like the level range for stuff needs to be a little wider.

But hey, faced with complete PvE perfection for rest of the experience, it's a really small quibble.

Chanser

I really cannot decide on a class, tried all of them now, and Warrior looks like the most fun, I love so many different weapons and weapon swap while fighting! At the same time I have difficulties with other classes:

4. Engineer - got one to lvl 8, not bad as well but I don't see him packing a punch

Err you seem to have forgot about the elementalist and warrior.

KuroNeeko

That's the thing with being in a 500 people guild, instead of 40 people you really get to know you have 500 you'll never get to know.

+1 for a separate EU guild, maybe I'd try to be more social in a smaller guild (but that's up to the staff/officers offcourse)

In other news, dang SPVP is fun, still need to learn a lot though, really gets the blood pumping :)

Yeah. I was pretty bummed when I learned that I'd missed out on the GAF guild, but to be honest I'm happy with our little group in the Overflowrce. I'll probably see if there's anyone who wants to run around with my fledging Elementalist tonight. You get what you put into it I guess!

Wait why do people hate Mesmer?

No way. Mesmer is awesome! Probably my favorite class as there's so much to juggle if you want to really milk your skills.

SteveWD40

This will probably only make sense to UK Gaffers... and only a handful of them at that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9WOqsP_PkQ&feature=g-all-u

First I chuckled, then I got the music...

CJwCM.gif

Bravo.

Ken

Warrior is my main ATM, Elementalist is just lvl 2, but so far I'm not digging it, looks to be your standard mage (which is bad to say as Warrior is your standard face-punching guy).

IF "standard face-punching guy" was in the warrior's description I would have rolled one as my main.

desverger

Oh man, after playing my tanky mesmer for good while and switching to my thief that has no trait points in toughness nor vitality, the thief does feel super squishy - it's like I can't even take two hits before I'm floored. But then again, a good backstab from behind deals tremendous damage :)

Certainly feels like the stats make a difference.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
As for the 2x Dagger versus Staff elementalist, I have a question:
Are Cone of Cold/Cleansing Wave as effective in group combat as Geyser and Healing Rain?
I would most likely use dual daggers, but having only 1 self healing skills instead of 2 on my weapon when playing solo is kind of meh.

Played for a couple of hours yesterday. Picked a Norn Warrior.

The real time events are on the of the best things I've ever seen in the few MMOs I've played.

Mikeside

OK so I've still got the problem where the game constantly kicks me out after 30 seconds or so. I've changed my password, as suggested in this thread a bunch of pages ago.

The thing is, my whole internet connection dies - and it's only when I'm playing this game. I'll log in, select my character, log in, kill a couple of things until my skills just start flashing as if they're queueing for a few seconds, the error comes up (I forget what it is now) and my entire internet connection (on all devices connected) will drop for a little while.

Last night, this happened about 4 times. On the 4th time my internet was down until this morning. I could access my router (Virgin Media SuperHub), but it wouldn't go through to the net.

Going to call Virgin about it later, but this is incredibly infuriating.

Ken

Who did you roll and why?

Thief initially because hey it's a thief. Abandoned thief and rolled Guardian.

Guardian because the ability to support and be tanky sounded appealing, especially coming off of Tera as a Lancer. Also GS Guardian sounded pretty great.

Unfortunately I had no idea at the time that there was no "trinity." The Guardian doesn't really have that many tanking tools so now I'm spending my time after hitting 80 searching for a role I enjoy playing in dungeons. My gear is a mess since I'm not sure what I want to do. If I go damage, I'd assume a warrior would easily outdamage me so why pick a guardian to DPS. Currently focusing on Shouts and it seems okay so far, if not a little boring. Also not being able to use a real ranged weapon is disappointing. Had I done any research beforehand I probably would have rolled a Warrior over the Guardian.

OK so I've still got the problem where the game constantly kicks me out after 30 seconds or so. I've changed my password, as suggested in this thread a bunch of pages ago.

The thing is, my whole internet connection dies - and it's only when I'm playing this game. I'll log in, select my character, log in, kill a couple of things until my skills just start flashing as if they're queueing for a few seconds, the error comes up (I forget what it is now) and my entire internet connection (on all devices connected) will drop for a little while.

Last night, this happened about 4 times. On the 4th time my internet was down until this morning. I could access my router (Virgin Media SuperHub), but it wouldn't go through to the net.

Going to call Virgin about it later, but this is incredibly infuriating.

Think that you've already paid for the game and have all the time in the world to play it. I hope you get your connection fixed soon ;)

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Honestly, I only liked CM because of how smooth my runs in it have been. Maybe I just happened to have a good party or something, but both AC and SE often resulted in my group throwing bodies at bosses, die, respawn, and throw more bodies. Does not make for fun gameplay. Also, dying without know what happened is also frustrating.

Maybe it's just me not knowing how to play my Guardian in a dungeon/team environment.

Everything just seems reaaaaally difficult for the level, and this is just story mode.

SE does have this though: spoiler image for final boss of SE

Honestly Ken, I don't want to blame you or anything, but it might just be your groups. The dungeons I've done so far have been challenging, but not even as hard as Cataclysm dungeons in WoW.

Go back and do them again. I can't imagine in a good group that you're really finding them that hard. They're really not. I guess I'll find out about SE when I check it out this week.

There's no grand mystery around how a group works. If everyone has up to date gear, and they all know how to play their classes, you shouldn't be wiping more than once. I did AC a second time with a group that knew what lay ahead, and it wasn't hard. It still kept us on our toes, but knowing how to get through it made it significantly easier.

zon

Just want to say that if any gaffers are playing on Far Shiverpeaks and are looking for a guild, send me a PM here. I have a small guild with old gaming friends so you can get to know everyone and not feel lonely like what seems to happen in the larger guilds here.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion

You're crazy if you think Warrior and Guardian are too similar.

Even at low levels, they're nothing alike, besides both being melee.

Nyx

Yesterday I read a good lengthy post here about PvE and Dungeons in later stages, and that it's fucked. (about the easiness vs getting oneshot, the dungeons being designed around a holy trinity which isn't in the game, aggro-problems, lack of a tutorial for dungeon-encounters etc)

But I can't seem to find that post anymore, can someone point me in the right direction?

Ken

Honestly Ken, I don't want to blame you or anything, but it might just be your groups. The dungeons I've done so far have been challenging, but not even as hard as Cataclysm dungeons in WoW.

Go back and do them again. I can't imagine in a good group that you're really finding them that hard. They're really not. I guess I'll find out about SE when I check it out this week.

There's no grand mystery around how a group works. If everyone has up to date gear, and they all know how to play their classes, you shouldn't be wiping more than once. I did AC a second time with a group that knew what lay ahead, and it wasn't hard. It still kept us on our toes, but knowing how to get through it made it significantly easier.

Maybe, but after this happened today in SE where I had no real options but try to break LoS and hit 1 with staff over and over because I have no real ranged options I don't know. Stuff just seems to hit way too hard and I had at least 2 pieces of L80 exotic gear at the time.

thetrin

Maybe, but after this happened today in SE where I had no real options but try to break LoS and hit 1 with staff over and over because I have no real ranged options I don't know.

WHY DO YOU HAVE NO RANGED OPTIONS

How are you playing Guild Wars 2 without ranged options at all? The game gives you two weapon sets for a reason.

Ken

WHY DO YOU HAVE NO RANGED OPTIONS

How are you playing Guild Wars 2 without ranged options at all? The game gives you two weapon sets for a reason.

The only "ranged weapon" Guardians can use are staff and scepter. That's why I had Staff as my second weapon set (Sword and Focus for first). I was getting melted trying to get close to do damage with the S&F so I just went to Staff.

thetrin

The only "ranged weapon" Guardians can use are staff and scepter.

Scepter/Focus with targetable AoE is perfectly good ranged support. That's what I've been using for 50 levels. Scepter doesn't provide very good damage on its own, but you have an immobilize, a trait that adds vulnerability on top of that immobilize, the ability to target with consecration skills, a poison/weaken targetable if you're Asura, shouts that add boons to all your teammates, and a shout that even takes conditions off your teammates gives them to you, and then turns them into boons.

You know better than I do in regards to SE, but scepter with the options the Guardian gives you is rather competent ranged.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
My Elementalist question was totally ignored /sadface

Anyway, for those of you, who are still wondering where to get the game, there's a retailers section on the GW2 site with both retail and digital retailers.

Dreavus

A couple thoughts:

Just recently found that the Mesmer "Warden" Phantasm (5th skill with a focus off-hand) TOTALLY DOES trigger in combo fields - I have no idea why I had never thought of this before. Confusion bolts for everyone!

And I really wish switching up one's traits was just a little bit easier in PvE. After getting used to making small adjustments over time to my sPvP build, it feels restrictive to have to track down a class trainer and pay to get your traits reset. Recently I've been considering speccing just a bit more defensively (So I don't get destroyed by the TINY gravelings so easily), but it stinks have no "on the fly" changes.

Also, am I the only one buying gems with any moderate amount of coin I can amass? I'm level 54 sitting at about 80 silver now after buying 1400 gems from the currency exchange over the past few days. 600 for a bigger bank and 800 for another character slot. I'm curious as to who these people are that are selling these gems at these prices. It's not exactly cheap, but it also doesn't seem prohibitively expensive either. Does gold become a major factor later on, or am I missing something here?

Ken

Scepter/Focus with targetable AoE is perfectly good ranged support. That's what I've been using for 50 levels.

I wasn't traited for support during that SE run though. >.>

Scepter/Focus with targetable AoE is perfectly good ranged support. That's what I've been using for 50 levels. Scepter doesn't provide very good damage on its own, but you have an immobilize, a trait that adds vulnerability on top of that immobilize, the ability to target with consecration skills, shouts that add boons to all your teammates, and a shout that even takes conditions off your teammates gives them to you, and then turns them into boons.

You know better than I do in regards to SE, but scepter with the options the Guardian gives you is rather competent ranged.

I didn't have a book with me to reset traits during the dungeon. I was traited for Burning/Critical Sword build, which was kind of foolish of me.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Also, am I the only one buying gems with any moderate amount of coin I can amass? I'm level 54 sitting at about 80 silver now after buying 1400 gems from the currency exchange over the past few days. 600 for a bigger bank and 800 for another character slot. I'm curious as to who these people are that are selling these gems at these prices. It's not exactly cheap, but it also doesn't seem prohibitively expensive either. Does gold become a major factor later on, or am I missing something here?
Well, you can buy a limited amount of things with gems, so I'd say that gold is much more valuable once you get the bag/bank expansions and the character slots.

thetrin

I wasn't traited for support during that SE run though. >.>

I'm not traited for support either. Doesn't mean you can't do it in a pinch. :p

I tend to trait into a couple different builds "just in case". I run support in dungeons, and i change to melee DPS if the need arises, and I run melee DPS in regular PvE with an emphasis on DoT.

Some time, you and I should run SE. I'm sure I can pull together some gaffers that know what they're doing.

Ken

I'm not traited for support either. Doesn't mean you can't do it in a pinch. :p

I don't own any scepters. :S

Basically the problem I had was I was expecting to do one thing (melee DPS) but the lack of defined roles and inexperience with the dungeon made that not work out at all.

thetrin

I don't own any scepters. :S

Basically the problem I had was I was expecting to do one thing (melee DPS) but the lack of defined roles and inexperience with the dungeon made that not work out at all.

My advice would be not to have your heart set on doing one role. I run greatsword and scepter/focus because they're either end of the spectrum, and if the need arises, I can change to one over the other, and help the group in a different way.

Everyone plays differently, of course, but that's just how I take advantage of the weapon sets.

Of course, you know later content better than I do, but so far, I wouldn't really call dungeons that hard. They're nowhere close to WoW heroics.

(And of course CM is easy. It takes 45 min and you can complete it in your sleep :p)

I don't agree that it's the lack of defined roles. The only impact the lack of defined roles has on the dungeon environment is that you can't easily tell when someone isn't doing their job, and sucks at their class. In other games, you can tell a tank isn't doing their job because people are getting hit. You can tell a healer isn't doing their job because the tank is dying. You can tell DPS isn't doing their job because they're either drawing too much hate or the boss isn't burning down fast enough.

So far I've maybe been very lucky playing dungeons with competent gaffers, but everyone in the group has been doing their job, and doing it well. It doesn't mean no one ever dies, but outside of my first run of CM, dungeons have been fairly close to what I expected.

I didn't have a book with me to reset traits during the dungeon. I was traited for Burning/Critical Sword build, which was kind of foolish of me.

Yeah, I dunno what to tell you. I'm specced into Virtues, Honor and Zeal, for the most part, so my skills get a lot of the benefit of my build, rather than my actual weapon.

Warrior is my main ATM, Elementalist is just lvl 2, but so far I'm not digging it, looks to be your standard mage (which is bad to say as Warrior is your standard face-punching guy).

So you're telling me the mage is a mage, and the Warrior is a Warrior? I could have told you that from the names of the classes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom