• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Einbroch

Banned
So even though I didn't see the image I'm spoiled because of what people said in response to it. I don't care about being spoiled, but don't go saying what the picture was and then going into details about what it represented.

Spoiler:
zhet-whatever being the last boss

It's like when people speculated about a character in Game of Thrones dying then people said "dude don't spoil" when he was guessing.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Hey, are non-GAFers allowed in the guild? I'll be playing with my girlfriend, friends, and family members and I wouldn't mind sticking with GAF as well.

Ferny

Hey, are non-GAFers allowed in the guild? I'll be playing with my girlfriend, friends, and family members and I wouldn't mind sticking with GAF as well.
They can indeed, just have em sign up at GAFGuild.com and post in the sign up thread.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I forgot it was fucking steve blum

I'll donate 10 dollars to someone who is on the fence about buying this within the next hour.

edit: Oh Retro :(

Arken2121

I will add onto this. I'll donate $20 in addition to hawks.

Edit: I'll make it $40 if someone who wants the game writes an interesting reason why.

Since some people are getting the pre-order items in an Email.

Does the people that pre-purchase from arenanet directly get the same Email?

This is because I have not received anything yet, not sure if everyone got theirs already.

inky

Hey guys, I just noticed this thread. Seems like a nice game and I would like to play it, but alas, I'm short $̶3̶0̶ ̶$̶4̶0̶ $50 so I won't be able to join you all in the fun. Oh well.

froliq

Got a mail with this:
Pre-Purchase with 3-Day Headstart: Everyone who pre-purchased Guild Wars 2 will enjoy three full days of Headstart Access. The three-day Headstart Access will officially begin at 0:00 AM Pacific time (GMT -7:00) on August 25th. However, please note that in order to ensure we’re fully prepared for that fateful hour we may bring servers online up to 3 hours prior. If you’re a player committed to getting in first to grab that character name of your dreams you’ll want to be keeping an eye on things during that time period.
Not that I have a popular character name or anything, but I think I might be there 5am my time, hitting the play button.

Hey guys, this question might have come up before, but as an Australian, is there a better version to buy? In regards to regions. I know Blizzard's games are typically better for us if playing on US servers. I have no idea how the servers operate here but I'd appreciate any thoughts.

I don't want to bring it into discussion, but in terms of combat, is this more real time than the Old Republic? The dodge mechanic has piqued my interest. It sounds appealing as I'm looking for something new. I'm just not sure if I'll find it here as I have no experience with Guild Wars whatsoever. Not needing to subscribe works great for me as I'm studying and will not have flexibility of time. This is actually a spontaneous purchase as I see it, so I'd like to be able to make a more informed decision before I lay my money down. Still weighing up options at this stage. Is it worth even trying to pre-order now at this point? Or should I wait for reviews?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

Edit: I'll make it $40 if someone who wants the game writes an interesting reason why.
Just to be clear that's basically a copy of the game for $10 if you make a case for it.

Hey guys, this question might have come up before, but as an Australian, is there a better version to buy? In regards to regions. I know Blizzard's games are typically better for us if playing on US servers. I have no idea how the servers operate here but I'd appreciate any thoughts.
You can play on any server you want; for a little while after release, transfers are free as well so you can try out a few if you aren't feeling Stormbluff Isle (where GAF is rolling).

Also, through guesting, you can play with friends on any server with any character- the PvP mode WvW is all your home server really matters for.

I don't want to bring it into discussion, but in terms of combat, is this more real time than the Old Republic? The dodge mechanic has piqued my interest. It sounds appealing as I'm looking for something new. I'm just not as I have no experience with Guild Wars whatsoever.
The combat is waaaaay way more real-time than that, and quite fun in my opinion.
This might actually be a spontaneous purchase. Still weighing up options at this stage. Is it worth even trying to pre-order now at this point? Or should I wait for reviews?
You may want to see above.

PewPewK

man how often is this game being updated? I downloaded 12'000 files on Sunday and now it's downloading another 13'000 :/

Very often. I assume it'll remain frequently during launch as well. Great thing about their server infrastructure is they don't require maintenance or anything akin to "patch days" of other mmos, they can update the game on the fly.

Milly79

Wasn't there a list going around with major websites going to certain servers? I can't remember if it was on GAF or Reddit.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member

I've been thinking about it. I've never played an MMO, and this game sounds like it has a lot more going on than loot and levels which intrigues me. Reading the OP in this thread and some previews has me super, super interested. I also like the idea that I don't have to pay a monthly fee to play. And to be honest, I haven't had a computer that can play modern games until, well, now. This would be the first PC exclusive that's new that I've been able to play in years.

Piecake

I've been thinking about it. I've never played an MMO, and this game sounds like it has a lot more going on than loot and levels which intrigues me. Reading the OP in this thread and some previews has me super, super interested. I also like the idea that I don't have to pay a monthly fee to play. And to be honest, I haven't had a computer that can play modern games until, well, now. This would be the first PC exclusive that's new that I've been able to play in years.

DOO ITTTTT

Teknoman

Very often. I assume it'll remain frequently during launch as well. Great thing about their server infrastructure is they don't require maintenance or anything akin to "patch days" of other mmos, they can update the game on the fly.

Yup, I think that was one of Guild Wars 1's strengths too.

Just to be clear that's basically a copy of the game for $10 if you make a case for it.

You can play on any server you want; for a little while after release, transfers are free as well so you can try out a few if you aren't feeling Stormbluff Isle (where GAF is rolling).

Also, through guesting, you can play with friends on any server with any character- the PvP mode WvW is all your home server really matters for.

The combat is waaaaay way more real-time than that, and quite fun in my opinion.

You may want to see above.

Thank you for your response. It's sounding more and more appealing. Consider my post my reasonings behind wanting a copy for $10. The idea of exploration playing a bigger role is just incredibly exciting, I love the idea of a world big enough to be lost in. It's what I enjoyed most about the Old Republic. Hunting down the Datacrons. The freedom of not having to subscribe though means I can do it at my own pace and take the time to truly enjoy the discovery of hidden views and locales.

The enjoyment I have with this game will determine whether I buy another two copies for my partner and his brother. We'd never played Diablo before jumping onboard with Diablo 3 and sharing that first experience with two others was just amazing. That's what I'm looking for in Guild Wars 2 or any MMORPG for that matter. This looks like it could be the one.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Uh oh, the appeal of two additional copies being purchased makes me wanna swing my vote back over to you. Let's get the ArkenMan to weigh in
3AQmK.gif

I will say a thing: I very much enjoy that game as well, but this one is already substantially better than Diablo III.

Jira

Thank you for your response. It's sounding more and more appealing. Consider my post my reasonings behind wanting a copy for $10. The idea of exploration playing a bigger role is just incredibly exciting, I love the idea of a world big enough to be lost in. It's what I enjoyed most about the Old Republic. Hunting down the Datacrons. The freedom of not having to subscribe though means I can do it at my own pace and take the time to truly enjoy the discovery of hidden views and locales.

The enjoyment I have with this game will determine whether I buy another two copies for my partner and his brother. We'd never played Diablo before jumping onboard with Diablo 3 and sharing that first experience with two others was just amazing. That's what I'm looking for in Guild Wars 2 or any MMORPG for that matter. This looks like it could be the one.

If you got enjoyment out of exploring in TOR, this game will blow your mind.

PewPewK

Indeed! Community discovers exploit and it goes viral? Patch that exploit up before the day is out (if they can code a fix that quickly).

It was amazing. The one time they had maintenance for longer than like 4 hours was because they were physically moving their data-center and they apologized profusely for it. It was such a rare occurrence it made headlines across the gaming sphere. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom