• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.
"It gets pretty difficult in a battle when I can't see my mouse cursor and I have troubles with pressing the right keys for the right skills...."

A gaming keyboard won't help you press the right keys. Mouse cursor, I could understand that problem, but that sounds like your TV is a bit too far away. Do you not have problems with the cursor in other games?

"Maybe I've just been playing too much TERA but a lot of group bosses went from "wtf was that?" to soloable if I just concentrated on watching for the animation of the mob's massive attacks instead of bounding around like a hyperactive rabbit. Said Charr Effigy included."

I'm not really talking about PvE, since yes, a good amount of mobs do have tells for their big attacks.

PewPewK

Once I login it tells me I don't have access to an event. Is this as far as it will let me go?

Edit-- nevermind I see it downloads without logging in. I can't reed good.

Can I transfer this download from my laptop to my "real" computer?

Yep, the installation is completely portable.

Violet_0

Banned
Almost every class has a 1200 ranged weapon, and the Warrior's Rifle is designed to have high enough single target damage as to compare to melee weapons, but you don't hear about anyone using any of that often, outside of complaints in WvW.

huh, really? I tested a rifle Warrior during yesterday's stress test, and it felt pretty solid to me (had a terrible connection though). Didn't even end up using my second weapon set (sword+sword) because I was stacking bleeds just as efficiently with the rifle. Well, I suppose Kill Shot is pretty easy to dodge for experienced players, but I'm strongly considering a rifle/rifle build for my warrior now.

Coolwhip

Banned
No MMO had matched WoW in terms of snappy responses. That said, this is no WAR. Good god what a mess.

Why can't they match a game that was developed from 2000 I wonder? Isn't the first thing you want to get right with your engine that it plays smoothly?

ZeroEdge

Got a small technical question for you guys.

I played the stresstest on my desktop yesterday and it was okay performancewise
but still I'm not really fully pleased.

However, my desktop is 3 years old and it currently houses a Core2Duo E8500 and a GTX275.

Now, I have a laptop for school with a i5-2410M CPU and a GTX 520M GPU.

Would it be possible that it would turn out better looking and smoother on my laptop?

I played the last stress test on a laptop with an i520 mobile and 4gb of Ram along with a crappy Nv3100m video in it and if I let the game choose the settings (so basically low on almost everything) it played between 15-50 fps depending what was on the screen and on average ran between 25-35 fps. It's not ideal but it's definitely playable.

Proven

"Its also hard to see what buttons you're pressing on the keyboard. It makes you kinda slow in pvp battles, for an example."

You shouldn't have to look at your keyboard? I'm not sure I get what problem you're having here.

"Some things have travel time on top of the cast time. Like when that effigy in the Charr starting zone winds up the fireball then the fireball has to travel.

Again, this makes dodging feasible."

Not really, since very few abilities have any noticeable animation for you to reactively dodge, projectiles aside. Instead, players simply dodge to avoid damage in general. Thus, it doesn't really matter whether the abilities are instant or not, dodge is feasible either way.

What?

Maybe I've just been playing too much TERA but a lot of group bosses went from "wtf was that?" to soloable if I just concentrated on watching for the animation of the mob's massive attacks instead of bounding around like a hyperactive rabbit. Said Charr Effigy included.

This is where I'm currently at. If I have some experience for what's coming, or just look for any animation that isn't the getting hit flinch, I know an attack is coming and can start side stepping, throwing out a cripple/immobilize, or dodge roll out of the way. Since there's a cooldown between attacks like in most action games, I can still melee an enemy, then step out to give myself extra space before his next attack animation.

Players are harder because it feels like they have shorter animations, and I have more to look out for. Stuns are really fast. Burst damage is hard to dodge at point blank range. Much of what I'm doing right now is based on anticipation, like Pyro point blank airblast kills in TF2, but I'm slowly getting better.

Another way to look at it, how long do you have to play any single fighting game before you get perfect reactionary timing down? Much of it is relying on anticipation and muscle memory anyway, but eventually you can get there.

I won't talk tho.... is it okay if I don't speak? :p

That's more than fine. Just type a lot in chat.

"It gets pretty difficult in a battle when I can't see my mouse cursor and I have troubles with pressing the right keys for the right skills...."

A gaming keyboard won't help you press the right keys. Mouse cursor, I could understand that problem, but that sounds like your TV is a bit too far away. Do you not have problems with the cursor in other games?

I was thinking a lit keyboard would help alittle? My current keyboard is flat also, if you know what I mean.

Is there any way to make the cursor bigger in-game?

Proven

Once I login it tells me I don't have access to an event. Is this as far as it will let me go?

Edit-- nevermind I see it downloads without logging in. I can't reed good.

Can I transfer this download from my laptop to my "real" computer?

Yep. Just copy the folder you have GW2 installed in, making sure you get the .dat file, and you're good.

Ricker

I repeat: there were verification email problems with everyone. A lot of people didn't get their emails, or even if they got their emails were able to log in with no problem.

For me, I got in right at 3pm EDT, didn't get my email, logged in anyway. Had a few crashes, logged back in without any more prompting for a verification email. Stress test ends at 9pm EDT, and at 9:03 EDT I finally get a verification email with a link that doesn't work.

There be problems.

Oh,thank god,I was getting nervous about having problems with that on launch or something,I hope they resolve this by Friday.

Proven

We can be a secret brony guild AND a secret K-On guild! We just need special code-words for us to break off and form our own secret sub-communities within the guild.

Ok, no secret cartoon or anime guilds, please. Else I'm going to start a FLCL guild and maybe a Suzumiya guild and we'll have to have a Katawa Shoujo guild..

never underestimate the ability of other people to be annoying.

just the difficulty-increasing mechanic on its own is ripe for abuse.

(it's a good system in-theory, but i'm skeptical that i'll always be glad to see another person whilst adventuring)
If you're suggesting that there will be groups of people who roam around in mobs, increasing the difficulty but not actually fighting, making it that much harder for those that are trying to win.... I dunno, that sounds kinda funny to me :)

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Ok, no secret cartoon or anime guilds, please. Else I'm going to start a FLCL guild and maybe a Suzumiya guild and we'll have to have a Katawa Shoujo guild..

In game guild chat is going to be hilarious.

Proven

Oh,thank god,I was getting nervous about having problems with that on launch or something,I hope they resolve this by Friday.
Straight from the mighty Jira:
Here's the deal with the verification:

It's not required to login, but is mainly used to give you peace of mind knowing that IF another IP logs into your account, you'll need to enter a code or click a link from your email to allow access. So if you still haven't got the email, once we get to play again be sure to just have it sent when you click Login.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
We can be a secret brony guild AND a secret K-On guild! We just need special code-words for us to break off and form our own secret sub-communities within the guild.

Our logo will be pony version of each K-On girl, code word is "K-Ony".

Levito

Banned

iftcq9c21sa3m.gif

Proven

I was thinking a lit keyboard would help alittle? My current keyboard is flat also, if you know what I mean.

Is there any way to make the cursor bigger in-game?

I'm looking for an option like this too. If I don't get a more noticeable cursor I'm going to have to start turning fast-AoE targetting off for any battle that involves a ton of screen turning (that's every battle).

This is a good example of how reacting to animations in sPvP will be the difference between mediocre and great players.

Was going to post this.

Jira

If you're suggesting that there will be groups of people who roam around in mobs, increasing the difficulty but not actually fighting, making it that much harder for those that are trying to win.... I dunno, that sounds kinda funny to me :)

That won't work anyways. Standing there doesn't make an event scale as it's constantly polling for player interaction with objectives.

"I was thinking a lit keyboard would help alittle? My current keyboard is flat also, if you know what I mean.

Is there any way to make the cursor bigger in-game?"

You don't really have any time to look at your keyboard and find the right key while trying to pay attention to stuff in a fight. Even if being lit helped a little, ideally you shouldn't have a need to look at the keyboard and a week or so of playing should build enough muscle memory for you. Save the money for something else, man. Flat keyboard (I'm assuming you mean something very thin like a Logitech Illuminated or something) is also not really much of a problem.

"This is a good example of how reacting to animations in sPvP will be the difference between mediocre and great players."

The very first example he shows is one of the few abilities (which I already mentioned exists?) that you can actually see the animation, recognize, and react to.

Jira

That's awesome. Source?

My head. It came from one of the many, many videos over the past 2 years. It's impossible for me to give absolute sources on certain things just because ANet has been so transparent with their development that there's a massive amount of videos/interviews/blogs out there. Just trust me when I tell you that I'm right.

Retro

You failed your image macro, Retro. It probably wasn't funny, anyway.

Yeah, mobile phone didn't snag the right link and I didn't notice. I bet this one works though;

c0JTU.jpg

Yep, that worked. Should be in the OP.

Also, continuing to auto attack even after something has died feels pretty iffy.

Because it's not an auto attack. You can use your first attack instantly any time you want, usually because you can sweep your attack through multiple foes. You know, like an actual videogame works, not an MMO where you tab-target and faceroll.

Guys, I think Tekno fully understands how and why it works the way it does. That doesn't mean he has to like it.

Of course he understands how it works, he's just seems to be a "glass half empty" kinda guy...

Except when it comes to Guild Wars, for some reason he appears to see the glass as shattered and jagged, wrapped in barbed wire and filled with feces.

Seriously, can we get another Mod in this thread? We're getting borderline trolled here.

Ryan_

However, my desktop is 3 years old and it currently houses a Core2Duo E8500 and a GTX275.

Would it be possible that it would turn out better looking and smoother on my laptop?

I played the last stress test on a laptop with an i520 mobile and 4gb of Ram along with a crappy Nv3100m video in it and if I let the game choose the settings (so basically low on almost everything) it played between 15-50 fps depending what was on the screen and on average ran between 25-35 fps. It's not ideal but it's definitely playable.

Hmm, so I'm better off using my desktop then.

Is there a quick, easy and painless way to overclock my Core2Duo then?

Jira

Hmm, so I'm better off using my desktop then.

Is there a quick, easy and painless way to overclock my Core2Duo then?

In your case I think going with the i5 and 520m will see the better peformance.

My head. It came from one of the many, many videos over the past 2 years. It's impossible for me to give absolute sources on certain things just because ANet has been so transparent with their development that there's a massive amount of videos/interviews/blogs out there. Just trust me when I tell you that I'm right.
I'll take your word for it then :)

Depending on how often the polling is, you could theoretically still walk in, smack the mob once, walk out (all people involved) and just get hands off. But I think at that point, it becomes too much work to troll :p

Jira

I'll take your word for it then :)

Depending on how often the polling is, you could theoretically still walk in, smack the mob once, walk out (all people involved) and just get hands off. But I think at that point, it becomes too much work to troll :p

From what they've said one hit isn't enough to register scaling. Think of it like this:

You come in and start actually doing stuff, the next time mobs spawn it will take you into account and scale it up. Hit a mob once and it's not going to register you as being there in the next wave.

Proven

From what they've said one hit isn't enough to register scaling. Think of it like this:

You come in and start actually doing stuff, the next time mobs spawn it will take you into account and scale it up. Hit a mob once and it's not going to register you as being there in the next wave.

It's probably based off earning experience. You need to do a certain number of hits or a minimum amount of damage to get credit for a kill no matter if it's in PvE, PvP, or WvW. Even stomping doesn't count, although hitting a guy while he's in the downed state before he gets stomped does count.

These credits for kills (and probably stuff like reviving people who have earned kill credits) are what's used to determine your bronze, silver, or gold rating for an event. I know these are even counted in PvP as you can get 5 points from a kill, 10 extra points (skirmisher) if you were the one doing most of the work for that kill, and another 10 points (defender) if you were fighting over a point and kept it from being neutralized. And a number of other little things that are probably tracked but I haven't noticed yet.

From there, it would make sense that people who were doing the work to get silver and gold credit for an event probably have the most effect on the difficulty scaling for that event.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Im downloading. Will probably regret it later, not for the game but for time spent studying :( Good thing its free subscription though, i wont feel bad for not playing and wasting money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom