• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trey

ioel3H1LQY8O3.png

Looks all Mursaat-y.

What server is the (second) GAF guild on, does it have room, and is it active and full of helpful people and hijinks?

I'm on Tarnished Coast and really like it but it sucks not being in a guild, considering a switch. It would be cool to join an offical website guild.

Ashodin

Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhh so I'm probably going to write a novella based on my character and some guild members in the Guild Wars 2 universe. The story is so rich and detailed I can easily fit some of us in an epic adventure that goes alongside the main story.

Meteorain

So I just did the level 50 personal quest with the Order of Whispers. Shit got real. It was actually pretty cool how the story just stepped up.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhh so I'm probably going to write a novella based on my character and some guild members in the Guild Wars 2 universe. The story is so rich and detailed I can easily fit some of us in an epic adventure that goes alongside the main story.
Welp, lemme know if you need to know about the Hawkian order.

I would seriously buy a personal trading post golem for like 10 bucks. Running back and forth is so zzz....
Gem store has a trade post summoning thingy. One-use only, but remember that you can always buy gems with silver/gold.

Since it's a gem store item you can buy it anywhere and it'll arrive in your mail.

Ferny

Can I be like a bad guy in the story who ends up being good because I saved the world from the clutches of impending doom in November by Dr Kayos and his minion army?

Alright, I was getting super bored with Guardian so I decided to try out a build for PVE. I have no idea how it would do in PVP. My guess is horribly, but I don't really care since I could easily switch out my traits/weapons in PVP.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/en/?fUEQNAR7dlYgCBnCSGEm4ERWBWW9YfyLfYKsYGB

The build is based around Spirit Weapons and Greatsword + Scepter/Focus.

30 Zeal + 20 Honor + 20 Virtue.

Zeal line gives me: 20% lower Spirit Weapon recharge rate, Spirit Weapon commands usable without destroying the weapon, and +10% Spirit Weapon damage. Though I am considering changing that out for the +5% Greatsword damage.

Honor line gives me: Two handed mastery means shorter Greatsword cooldowns. Though given that I have this skill I might ditch my Scepter/Focus for Staff. I am not sure what to use as the first skill. All of them seem kinda meh.

Virtue line gives me: Virtue buffs, +50% Spirit Weapon duration, and Elite Focus which is nice when I have to bust out Tome of Courage.

I am considering 30 Zeal + 30 Honor + 10 Virtue. I lose Elite Focus for +100 Vitality and Healing.

Ken

Alright, I was getting super bored with Guardian so I decided to try out a build for PVE. I have no idea how it would do in PVP. My guess is horribly, but I don't really care since I could easily switch out my traits/weapons in PVP.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/en/?fUEQNAR7dlYgCBnCSGEm4ERWBWW9YfyLfYKsYGB

The build is based around Spirit Weapons and Greatsword + Scepter/Focus.

30 Zeal + 20 Honor + 20 Virtue.

Zeal line gives me: 20% lower Spirit Weapon recharge rate, Spirit Weapon commands usable without destroying the weapon, and +10% Spirit Weapon damage. Though I am considering changing that out for the +5% Greatsword damage.

Honor line gives me: Two handed mastery means shorter Greatsword cooldowns. Though given that I have this skill I might ditch my Scepter/Focus for Staff. I am not sure what to use as the first skill. All of them seem kinda meh.

Virtue line gives me: Virtue buffs, +50% Spirit Weapon duration, and Elite Focus which is nice when I have to bust out Tome of Courage.

Problem with focusing on Spirit Weapons is that you'll be slightly weak when your SWs are on CD.

The staff has a aoe in water that slows (freezes) one in air that stuns everytime the enemy touches its border, one in earth that cripples, a knockback in air (use this in combination with the stun field for max effectiveness), a immobilisation in earth and a blind in air (which has a casttime but also does damage)
You also have 2 big aoe heals in water, aoe swiftness from air a projectile shield from earth and a "burning" retreat from fire.

The rest of the abbilitys is mainly for damage, there really isnt one that I dont use.

If you want to play it safe staff is the way to go.
If you want to do immense damage use daggers (not recommended for zergs and big groups of enemys)

Put some points in the "arcane" trait tree for faster attunement swaping.

hmmm it does seem you still have to have some kind of rotation going on due to element cooldowns. Gonna play around a bit.

Problem with focusing on Spirit Weapons is that you'll be slightly weak when your SWs are on CD.

Well yeah. Thankfully the cooldowns are lessened, and the SW last a lot longer. And I think I have enough survivability to last until they come back up.

Ken

Well yeah. Thankfully the cooldowns are lessened, and the SW last a lot longer. And I think I have enough survivability to last until they come back up.

My current Guardian build is focusing on toughess through armor and a bit of vitality from traits. I'm relying on keeping retaliation up 100% of the time so I get that reflection of damage. I still feel squishy in dungeons. @_@

My current Guardian build is focusing on toughess through armor and a bit of vitality from traits. I'm relying on keeping retaliation up 100% of the time so I get that reflection of damage. I still feel squishy in dungeons. @_@

So would you recommend:

30 Zeal , 30 Honor, and 10 Virtue

or

30/20/20

KingKong

Fuuuuck Forging the Pact personal quest bugged out for me. Did it again and still bugged and it looks like a lot of people are posting that if the NPC dies at any point, it will bug out, but that guy is impossible to keep alive

Vodh

Whenever I'm dealing with Charr, I can't shake the feeling that they are a little less warped and smelly, larger Skaven from Warhammer...

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
What is the consensus on this game? Its replay-ability?

Game is pretty fun all things considered, I've put roughly ~160 hours into the game and am only now starting to run out of things to do. I still need to 100% certain areas, get proper PvP/Dungeon gear, and farm up gold. On the re playability part (I haven't made an alt so take with a grain of salt) I think isn't very good past lvl 30 or 50 where you join an order and your personal story takes a back seat to world events which don't change based on race/class. Besides that though I do not regret dropping 60 bones on this game.

Audioboxer

Was just about to log off to go to bed and I decided to kill one more mob. Dropped my first ever rare dye, Midnight Blue :)

gw018.jpg

Only level 3 right now, trying out a Guardian. Really like the class so far (maybe even more than Warrior).

Raxum

What is the consensus on this game? Its replay-ability?

I've found it difficult playing an alt after exploring over half the world on my main. I'm finding it difficult to get motivated to re-explore areas that I've already got 100% in on another character. Considering levelling the alt in WvW but the queues are ridiculous and that would leave me gimped later without all the waypoints.

LogicStep

Two emails telling me that someone from China has tried to access my account. Anyone else? Guess they are hard at work on hacking those accounts.

Complistic

I've found it difficult playing an alt after exploring over half the world on my main. I'm finding it difficult to get motivated to re-explore areas that I've already got 100% in on another character. Considering levelling the alt in WvW but the queues are ridiculous and that would leave me gimped later without all the waypoints.

If this MMO doesn't have replayability I'm not sure which one does. Whenever I go back to an alt i'm always finding events I've never seen before. Plus the personal stories have a ton of branching missions.

I filed a support ticket for associating my GW2 account with the correct GW1 account and after about 5 emails (and 2 weeks!), I gave them info they requested and then they closed my ticket without saying why. Pissing me off.

Raxum

If this MMO doesn't have replayability I'm not sure which one does. Whenever I go back to an alt i'm always finding events I've never seen before. Plus the personal stories have a ton of branching missions.

Oh yeah, the events and story missions are great, it's more the points of interest and re-doing some of the harder vistas.

Varna

I don't want to miss "when the story gets good," but Jesus these personal missions are painful to sit through. They should have never gone for this kind of story. They should have just used the GW1 story structure... your character less of an individual. Would have made the role-playing side of this game a lot better.

Vodh

Oh yeah, the events and story missions are great, it's more the points of interest and re-doing some of the harder vistas.

Generally the exploration part is really boring on an alt. In other MMO's yeah, you do the same stuff, but it's mostly just fighting mobs and that's roughly just as interesting regardless of the character you're on. But redoing the more tedious hearts and traveling to locations you already know just to get a vista or a PoI is boring.

But much depends on the zone really. All I'm making is human characters, gotten about 10 of them up to level 12+ and I still love Queensdale even tho I've done much of it on all the characters. On the other hand nothing about Metrica Province clicked with me even the first time i've done it. And the thought of returning there to 100% it on an alt makes it feel like a chore.

I don't want to miss "when the story gets good," but Jesus these personal missions are painful to sit through. They should have never gone for this kind of story. They should have just used the GW1 story structure... your character less of an individual. Would have made the role-playing side of this game a lot better.

Yeah, the story and the story presentation is pretty naff

Dreavus

Not really having a ton of success as mesmer in spvp. Coming back from playing thief for a bit it really feels like I can't do much for damage, nor protect myself if the fight is going bad. Tons of people seem to think mesmers are "OP" but I can't seem to find a build that works out for me. I always feel like I'm on the back foot in fights, even when it's a 1v1 with both of us starting at full health. Lately I've just said fuck it and specced entirely for damage, and I still can't seem to burst anyone down very effectively. Probably need to take more of a break or something.

Lingitiz

What race are you doing? I ran the Norn side and thought it was pretty good. The presentation isn't great but its an MMO so I expected it to be much worse. I did run the beginning of the human story and thought it was terrible, mostly due to Logan being the worst character in the game.

"Not really having a ton of success as mesmer in spvp. Coming back from playing thief for a bit it really feels like I can't do much for damage, nor protect myself if the fight is going bad. Tons of people seem to think mesmers are "OP" but I can't seem to find a build that works out for me. I always feel like I'm on the back foot in fights, even when it's a 1v1 with both of us starting at full health. Lately I've just said fuck it and specced entirely for damage, and I still can't seem to burst anyone down very effectively. Probably need to take more of a break or something."

The "OP" Mesmer build is the tanky phantasm build with sword/pistol or sword/sword. You literally just run around tanking damage and autoattacking while your phantasms do all the heavy lifting.

Whoever decided to make mages have to learn every single weapon setup, including the support ones...

you on my hitlist.

Leveling up air and water.

FUUUUUUUUU

What race are you doing? I ran the Norn side and thought it was pretty good. The presentation isn't great but its an MMO so I expected it to be much worse. I did run the beginning of the human story and thought it was terrible, mostly due to Logan being the worst character in the game.
Preeetty much this. Rytlock, Eir, and Caithe are way better.

Whoever decided to make mages have to learn every single weapon setup, including the support ones...
you on my hitlist.
Leveling up air and water.
Dynamic events. You're welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom