• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raxum

Generally the exploration part is really boring on an alt. In other MMO's yeah, you do the same stuff, but it's mostly just fighting mobs and that's roughly just as interesting regardless of the character you're on. But redoing the more tedious hearts and traveling to locations you already know just to get a vista or a PoI is boring.

But much depends on the zone really. All I'm making is human characters, gotten about 10 of them up to level 12+ and I still love Queensdale even tho I've done much of it on all the characters. On the other hand nothing about Metrica Province clicked with me even the first time i've done it. And the thought of returning there to 100% it on an alt makes it feel like a chore.

See, my main is an asura, and I quite enjoyed metrica province, but I've tried to make a sylvari alt, and I just really dislike their starting area(which I did on my asura as well). The underwater sections really annoy me for some reason. I probably should've made it a norn or charr, but the norn starting area never clicked with me in the BWEs. I'm currently just trying to hold out until I can branch out of the areas I've explored, and maybe head over to the other side of the map and do some of ascalon or something I haven't explored a lot of.

Unfortunately the alt is the result of me no longer enjoying the engineer class at 60. I'm not sure what happened but I was feeling very weak on my engi and really not doing as much damage as I felt I should've been. Playing my ranger I can easily solo most things, and I do decent amounts of damage in WvW, but dual pistol engi did not seem to be cutting it in WvW. Not enough damage (even though I'd stacked precision and power), and I'd melt almost instantly if I didn't stay at the back of fights. Probably just need to take a break from him and come back with a fresh mind about how to build him. Rangers on the other hand, that short bow is ridiculous for 1v1 and the long bow is great for sieges. So far been doing alright in WvW, and pretty good in PvE as well.

Preeetty much this. Rytlock, Eir, and Caithe are way better.

Dynamic events. You're welcome.

They magically never exist when i want to learn new shit though!!!!

but yeah I probably should just 'save' those up until an event though lol. Now i feel kinda dumb T_T.

And holy shit.... i think i kinda get ele now. it's all about fields pretty much. hmmmm.

Games needs the equivalent of that string thing on public buses that alerts the driver that you need to get off this stop.

Press hotkey to notify the game that you want an event!

pablito

come home excited to boot the game up and my computer is no longer sending a signal to my monitor :(

connected my monitor to my laptop, so my monitor is fine. other than that i don't know where to even start...

Complistic

I don't want to miss "when the story gets good," but Jesus these personal missions are painful to sit through. They should have never gone for this kind of story. They should have just used the GW1 story structure... your character less of an individual. Would have made the role-playing side of this game a lot better.

The second half of the story is worth plowing through the relatively boring first half. Though I did like all of the sylvari starting stuff. It might just be because of Hale though.

Ascalon is pretty fun in the first couple starting zones once you hit the Great Wall. Once you hit the 40-50 zone, it gets really good and just keeps getting better.

All they need is a troll face emote for my Mesmer and my life will be complete
If Anet makes a troll face finisher, they will have infinite money forever.

The second half of the story is worth plowing through the relatively boring first half. Though I did like all of the sylvari starting stuff. It might just be because of Hale though.
Having played most of the Sylvari story myself. It's mostly Hale.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Sword mainhand has blurred frenzy which can mitigate quite a bit of damage.

True, but having another raw counter from any range and a straight up OP ass confusion stack that forces them to clense it off is pretty god damn amazing. I guess sword would be better in a major group battle.

come home excited to boot the game up and my computer is no longer sending a signal to my monitor :(

connected my monitor to my laptop, so my monitor is fine. other than that i don't know where to even start...

got another monitor? Does the 'stuff' light up, like mouse keyboard etc.

Probably should just take it to a shop if you don't know what ya doing.

pablito

got another monitor? Does the 'stuff' light up, like mouse keyboard etc.

Probably should just take it to a shop if you don't know what ya doing.

the monitor is fine. i connected my laptop to it and it showed stuff.

it turns on. keyboard lights up but the i dont see the num lock on or those lights (it's usually on)

Jack_AG

Banned
Whoever decided to make mages have to learn every single weapon setup, including the support ones...

you on my hitlist.

Leveling up air and water.

FUUUUUUUUU
The easiest way is to just hang tight until a DE pops up with lots of mobs... then swap out and go to town. You'll unlock all 5 in like 0.00172 seconds :p

Okay not that fast - but the more mobs you hit - the more you move towards unlocking.

"I quit phantasm tanky builds when I realized any ele or guardian could just aoe my phantasms down and leave me with zero damage."

Well you can't have everything.

etiolate

Banned
"I quit phantasm tanky builds when I realized any ele or guardian could just aoe my phantasms down and leave me with zero damage."

Well you can't have everything.

It's just my view that since there's a lot of Guardian and Eles, the phantasm based builds aren't a good idea. I generally try to avoid the Mesmer's weaknesses and go with anything that can do damage without relying entirely on phantasms.

Macattk15

Because tanks that can do below average and not shit damage own. The guy might be more geared up/traited better/awesome weapons

It's s PvP .....

He DESTROYED me 1v1 as a Necro ... but that could be expected.

http://www.gw2build.com/builds/simu...9.325.0.335.339.0.0.0.0.362.0.0.10.25.20.0.15

That's my build.

I then watched him 1v4 people. Sure he died ... but he took 2 of em down.

Logging back on my Warrior to face stomp people! Or maybe I'll go full condition damage Necro .... too many removals though ... hmmm.

Varna

What race are you doing? I ran the Norn side and thought it was pretty good. The presentation isn't great but its an MMO so I expected it to be much worse. I did run the beginning of the human story and thought it was terrible, mostly due to Logan being the worst character in the game.

Human, commoner.

I don't find the actual story offensive... fairly typical stuff for this kind of RPG. But really, they are going to make every character the generic hero dude? If there was ever a game that needed a silent protagonist it's this one.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
It's s PvP .....

He DESTROYED me 1v1 as a Necro ... but that could be expected.

http://www.gw2build.com/builds/simu...9.325.0.335.339.0.0.0.0.362.0.0.10.25.20.0.15

That's my build.

I then watched him 1v4 people. Sure he died ... but he took 2 of em down.

Logging back on my Warrior to face stomp people! Or maybe I'll go full condition damage Necro .... too many removals though ... hmmm.

Well the perk of going condition based isnt the fact you do a shit ton of damage upfront, it's that you force people to blow their removals

Dreavus

"Not really having a ton of success as mesmer in spvp. Coming back from playing thief for a bit it really feels like I can't do much for damage, nor protect myself if the fight is going bad. Tons of people seem to think mesmers are "OP" but I can't seem to find a build that works out for me. I always feel like I'm on the back foot in fights, even when it's a 1v1 with both of us starting at full health. Lately I've just said fuck it and specced entirely for damage, and I still can't seem to burst anyone down very effectively. Probably need to take more of a break or something."

The "OP" Mesmer build is the tanky phantasm build with sword/pistol or sword/sword. You literally just run around tanking damage and autoattacking while your phantasms do all the heavy lifting.

I'll have to try that out again. I have tried the defensive build before, but maybe I'm not bringing the correct amulet or something, but my damage is very poor. What amulets/gems do you guys run? I had it once where I was just barely holding on against 2 players for quite some time, and an ally came to help (two separate times in the same fight), but the 2 enemies just switched targets to him and downed him pretty easily and I couldn't really contribute very much to help. I guess that's the point? Still, even that is a rarer occurrence, usually I just get ground down anyways, even with tons of toughness and vitality.

Hmm, I think some of it might be coming from having a less than stellar computer. Makes it difficult to see certain animations at times which means I could be wasting my dodges.

njean777

Well, I'm done.

Necromancer is beyond saving. Just a poor class for pvp in general.

Brb, going to steamroll on Thief.

If you really think about it thiefs/rogues are meant for pvp. They really have only one AOE and all other moves are pretty much for 1v1 combat or escaping. It has been like this forever in MMO's.

Also is there any way to respec in this game? I have no clue if I am building my thief right. Should I stay in one trait tree or should I divide my points into multiple trees? As of now I have points in Deadly arts and trickery...

Finally managed to get this today. I was a bit scared when it started downloading at about 11kB/s, but it's now going at 1MB, only 200000+ files to go!

Piecake

I think I need to join a decent sized GAF horde for WvW. I just come by kills relatively slowly otherwise. I kick the crap out of npcs, its just that not a whole lot of players die to me. guess thats what happens when its all preetty much hinding behind castle walls and no huge zerg packs roaming the area.

I want zerg packs so i can get kills >.<

eek5

If you really think about it thiefs/rogues are meant for pvp. They really have only one AOE and all other moves are pretty much for 1v1 combat or escaping. It has been like this forever in MMO's.

Also is there any way to respec in this game? I have no clue if I am building my thief right. Should I stay in one trait tree or should I divide my points into multiple trees? As of now I have points in Deadly arts and trickery...

Talk to the book guy that sells manuals. Don't go for the buy option; the option to respec is the second one when you first talk to him IIRC.

So, where can you buy Runes/Sigils?

You can salvage them out of weapons/armor so you can either buy the armor/weapons from TP or the sigil/runes straight up. Sometimes one option is cheaper than the other. Some runes/sigils can be crafted by various professions.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Anyone have pics of all the available medium female armor sets? There's cultural, dungeon, order, and temple, right? That's it?

"Anyone have pics of all the available medium female armor sets? There's cultural, dungeon, order, and temple, right? That's it?"

There are 2 sets for each dungeon, Rare and Exotic each with a different look.

Rflagg

Just quoting this for a new page, as people were asking about the digital copies.

Sweet now if amazon would process my dang trade ins so I can fool myself into feeling the game was free then I will finally take the plunge. I have two questions if I may.

Anybody know that status of the official NA guild server, or if they have a site where one can check on how full severs are?

Are there any good guides worth recommending other then the killer crafting one that has been linked in the thread a billion times?

Dina

I wish there was a way to dye items differently. I run around with a few armorsets now (PvE, PvP, magic find) and having them have the same colour is confusing.

etiolate

Banned
Seems to be a lot of broken stuff in Bloodtide Coast. It's a shame because I really like the zone.

I tried the free tournament out as a solo queue tonight and it's pretty frustrating. I had only done the tournies with a full group or partial group before. Without communication, most people don't understand where they need to be, and nobody stays to defend. I have to double back to a cap point as a non-durable build to try to 1 on 2 until the other four guys realize the area is contested.

Dina

They magically never exist when i want to learn new shit though!!!!

but yeah I probably should just 'save' those up until an event though lol. Now i feel kinda dumb T_T.

And holy shit.... i think i kinda get ele now. it's all about fields pretty much. hmmmm.

Games needs the equivalent of that string thing on public buses that alerts the driver that you need to get off this stop.

Press hotkey to notify the game that you want an event!

Watch this video. I've played ele for a long while now, but this boon-swapping build is what made it tick for me. RTL into Updraft, switch to Fire, then Burning Speed into Flame Ring, Arcane Wave, Fire Grab, switch to Earth, then Earthquake into that other earth skill. It really feels like a fighting-game at this point. Sure it may not have the most combo-fields, but it flows together so beautifully.

Loading up Churning Earth with the flash is also great fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PKPbboLqzM#

Dina

What do you mean? You can dye them different colours at will.

Really? I've dyed my first PvE set in a specific colour and the next sets I obtained all had the same colour afterwards. I assumed dyes were bound by character, but it's bound by item?

GOD.

Really? I've dyed my first PvE set in a specific colour and the next sets I obtained all had the same colour afterwards. I assumed dyes were bound by character, but it's bound by item?

GOD.

Not sure if you're joking or not but dyes are account bound, but you can change the dyes for your equipped items. I believe you dye your slot, so it carries over to future pieces put into that slot.

Dina

Not sure if you're joking or not but dyes are account bound, but you can change the dyes for your equipped items. I believe you dye your slot, so it carries over to future pieces put into that slot.

Right, gotcha. Time to experiment when I get the time. And no I wasn't kidding, I genuinely didn't know that.

Nekrono

I just started using SMAA and everything seems ok for the most part except I get a crash message every time I exit to desktop, is this normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom