• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm downloading the game now. This ~14 GB install is going to limit how much I can torrent/stream for the rest of the month. Damn Canadian ISP's.

I'm still not sure what class I'm going to play. I want something challenging to play that is useful in small groups and capable of soloing. I have a basic understanding that every class can perform all 3 major roles in this game. Suggestions?

xeris

Well I've had npcs come yelling at me for events that were already started.

I haven't had the same problem yet as Jack_AG but I could see it. Some NPC's do just advertise events but others are triggers. The first one that pops to mind is the woman fishing in the human starting area because her husband is to scared to do it himself.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I'm downloading the game now. This ~14 GB install is going to limit how much I can torrent/stream for the rest of the month. Damn Canadian ISP's.

I'm still not sure what class I'm going to play. I want something challenging to play that is useful in small groups and capable of soloing. I have a basic understanding that every class can perform all 3 major roles in this game. Suggestions?
Well, it depends: if you mean Tank, DPS, Healer, than no- no class can perform any of the three except DPS. If you mean Support, Damage, Control- then yep, there are options for all.

Do any of the classes interest you particularly?

Amazon posts at GAF now?!

That's awesome. I'm totally cool with this.

Holy shit it's amazon lol.

Hello amazon, I love you.

You guys don't post in many PC gaming threads, huh? Most of us know Tony pretty well around those parts. :p

Lol yeah Amazon posts here. We love you guys too :). You ('Gaf) get a mention in multiple weekly meetings for the Digital Video Games team. Our Senior Manager (my boss), just brought the community here up again in our team meeting.

If you ever have any questions don't hesitate to PM me or ask in thread. Asking in thread can be tricky as I'm in a bunch of them and don't check each one daily.

For those who were following it...we hit our goal for Borderlands 2. I'm getting the tattoo soon.

Cheers,
Tony

Well, it depends: if you mean Tank, DPS, Healer, than no- no class can perform any of the three except DPS. If you mean Support, Damage, Control- then yep, there are options for all.

Do any of the classes interest you particularly?

I was leaning towards Guardian initially because I love support classes. I heard they are a little easy to play though. Now I'm leaning towards a Thief or Mesmer. The initiative system seems like it has a lot of depth for maximizing efficiency in longer fights, and looks like a blast in pvp with the short burst potential. I know very little about the Mesmer at this point, they seem like the most difficult class to play effectively which is appealing to me.

Are all classes viable for soloing at this point? I read a few posts around here that people were having trouble soloing at certain points with Thieves. Or is this simply some bad players not playing properly?

By the way, excuse my blindness, but which server has GAF adopted? I look forward to playing with some of y'all! ^_______________________^

Ferrio

Banned
I was leaning towards Guardian initially because I love support classes. I heard they are a little easy to play though. Now I'm leaning towards a Thief or Mesmer. The initiative system seems like it has a lot of depth for maximizing efficiency in longer fights, and looks like a blast in pvp with the short burst potential. I know very little about the Mesmer at this point, they seem like the most difficult class to play effectively which is appealing to me.

Are all classes viable for soloing at this point? I read a few posts around here that people were having trouble soloing at certain points with Thieves. Or is this simply some bad players not playing properly?

Thief Initiative is pretty much like any other MMO mechanic really. Be it energy/mana whatever you wanna call it, something the other classes in GW2 don't use. Kinda why thief is really the odd man out in GW2... doesn't play like any of the other classes.

And soloing anything except group events is possible.

Thief Initiative is pretty much like any other MMO mechanic really. Be it energy/mana whatever you wanna call it... so thief is like the closest mechanic wise to how any other class in other MMOs act.

Good point. It's a tossup between Guardian and Mesmer then. Is the Guardian really as easy to play as some people claim?

All this profession talk is making my DL seem slow... >_<

Ferrio

Banned
Good point. It's a tossup between Guardian and Mesmer then. Is the Guardian really as easy to play as some people claim?

All this profession talk is making my DL seem slow... >_<

Easy? One of the easiers I guess. They're pretty straight forward, and their class mechanic is sorta like auras (but not quite).

I made the mistake of using a PVP build in PVE. The result is boring as fuck.

Time to spend some money (ingame currency) to reverse that mistake.

Part of me thinks I am playing the wrong class in PVE, since I almost never party with more than one person so most of my Guardian support skills can't be put to good use. Maybe I should switch over to another class.

What class is amazing at tearing mobs up like butter? I've been using Greatsword + Mace/Torch to tear through mobs as Guardian, but that doesn't seem to be the Guardian's strongsuit. Nothing makes me feel stronger than dragging a bunch of enemies together with Gsword 5, and then fucking them all up with Gsword 3. Do any classes do this better?

Okay, so the only MMO I've ever played is LOTRO, and I didn't play it that much, so this will be my first real experience with one.

I think I'm leaning towards a Guardian Charr character. I definitely like the Charr design the best...

I PvP'd on my Necro a bit (WvWvW, 16, and tourney). I found it less than enjoyable since we don't have much burst. When I WASN'T the target of our team fights, it was pretty cool because you could see their health slowly depleting (conditionmancer), but it was still aggravating when they cleansed all conditions and I was back to flicking stones until CD's for condition damage were up. It's an interesting class that is DEFINITELY a support role. If you have a good team build, a smart Necro will do some crazy things.

That's been my experience too pretty much. It's difficult to kill anything even one on one because of condition removal and no burst.

Okay, so the only MMO I've ever played is LOTRO, and I didn't play it that much, so this will be my first real experience with one.

I think I'm leaning towards a Guardian Charr character. I definitely like the Charr design the best...

Guardians are good. Lots of heals/support abilities and they are tough to take down.

That's what I played in beta and I really miss the character... Just keep in mind it's a class best played with a group. Not that you can't solo, it just feels much more fun and effective that way.

Guardians are good. Lots of heals/support abilities and they are tough to take down.

Thanks! A few of my friends are playing already, so I should be able to group up with them. Plus the main reason I'm playing is to play with others, since I usually only play single player games. Figured I'd try to expand my gaming horizons and whatnot.

Who knows, maybe I'll even get into competitive games after this...

Emitan

I made the mistake of using a PVP build in PVE. The result is boring as fuck.

Time to spend some money (ingame currency) to reverse that mistake.

Part of me thinks I am playing the wrong class in PVE, since I almost never party with more than one person so most of my Guardian support skills can't be put to good use. Maybe I should switch over to another class.

What class is amazing at tearing mobs up like butter? I've been using Greatsword + Mace/Torch to tear through mobs as Guardian, but that doesn't seem to be the Guardian's strongsuit. Nothing makes me feel stronger than dragging a bunch of enemies together with Gsword 5, and then fucking them all up with Gsword 3. Do any classes do this better?
use sword + torch you heathen

inky

on my guardian for PVE I am using a greatsword. Should I be using a sword and torch instead?

Use what you feel more comfortable with. Greatsword and Hammer are great because they do more damage, while scepter or mace are geared more towards support (or mobs who don't dodge). Sword & torch is a nice combo, the only thing I rarely use is focus.

I use greatsword in PvP too and it works well.

Audioboxer

Purely cosmetic question, but I take it I can keep my white necromancer eyes if I transmute them? Or is there other face armour similar (but obv with better stats)?

Absinthe

Love this area:

ifFFpMfdG0A8S.jpg

markot

Banned
Aud&#943;oboxer;41963464 said:
Purely cosmetic question, but I take it I can keep my white necromancer eyes if I transmute them? Or is there other face armour similar (but obv with better stats)?

Yes you can. Dont think there is similar out there, havent seen any.

Kimaka

Is there a list out there yet that for the changes that can happen in your personal instance? When I went back there, I haven't been since level 20 and I'm 56 now, I saw a couple of things that are different, though, I don't see Quinn there anymore. I (Street Rat spoilers)
saved him instead of the villagers
and don't see anything reflecting that change if there is any.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Been messing around with the SweetFX stuff.

I really like it. In addition to smoothing the jaggies the preset really adds some vibrancy to the colors.

iWwSbOzW1NbLj.png
iLWiOfECtIIf3.png

Only bummer is the effects won't show up in in-game screenshots.

Oh and NOTE: The mumble overlay and SweetFX CANNOT work together. It's a bummer but I just get a rendering error when I try to have it enabled.

Been messing around with the SweetFX stuff.

I really like it. In addition to smoothing the jaggies the preset really adds some vibrancy to the colors.

Only bummer is the effects won't show up in in-game screenshots.

Oh and NOTE: The mumble overlay and SweetFX CANNOT work together. It's a bummer but I just get a rendering error when I try to have it enabled.
Wait, what is SweetFX?

So nobody responded. If I want a PVE class with excellent burst/AOE damage what class should I pick up?

Right now I'm just using Greatsword + Mace/Torch Guardian.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom