• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
We are certified CM Explorable guides now by the way.

Despite a couple downs here and there, the explorable really wasn't that hard. It certainly wasn't a cakewalk, but there was no point where we were close to giving up.

Btw, Ashodin, Hawkian, Parakeet, pyrandes...have you guys figured out what gear you'd like to buy eventually? Based on that, we could start doing more or less runs of certain dungeons so that we can get our tokens sooner rather than later. (I'd like to get my dungeon gear before doing Arah, personally)

Umm... I'm level 45 and still have like 25 transmutation stones left. You don't need to use a stone for literally every single new item you get.

Didn't say you have to. But many people are very peculiar about their looks and once they get them, they don't want to change. At 30 my GF found her outfit of choice and is basically spending every stone she gets to keep her old style as she has her "pefect look" chosen. Shes basically going to be having to pull out the credit card to keep her look, and surely many others are going to be doing the same.

As long as your not picky it shouldn't be an issue, but for some people... yea Anet is gonna be making some money

Ferrio

Banned
So when is neogaf going to actually try and do anything in WvW? There was a ton of talk pre-release about that... but I have yet to see an organized attempt.

Is there a critical chance % cap?

Ashodin

Despite a couple downs here and there, the explorable really wasn't that hard. It certainly wasn't a cakewalk, but there was no point where we were close to giving up.

Btw, Ashodin, Hawkian, Parakeet, pyrandes...have you guys figured out what gear you'd like to buy eventually? Based on that, we could start doing more or less runs of certain dungeons so that we can get our tokens sooner rather than later. (I'd like to get my dungeon gear before doing Arah, personally)

You have my thoughts exactly.

Yes, I want this:
NDHSt.png

It's the full (minus the hat) Koda set from Honor of the Waves.

Unfortunately, I don't think we'll be doing that one for a while until we have a full group of 80s. It's an 80 zone.

For a more balanced target I wouldn't mind shooting for some CM gear (the "beat up seraph" look is kinda neat), or Twilight Arbor explorable. That stuff is nuts.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
"I don't foresee us ever matching up, Bokr. "

yo, tre it's not my fault chair picked the worst server ever. me and milk desperately trying to drag it out of the dumpster tho

Didn't say you have to. But many people are very peculiar about their looks and once they get them, they don't want to change. At 30 my GF found her outfit of choice and is basically spending every stone she gets to keep her old style as she has her "pefect look" chosen. Shes basically going to be having to pull out the credit card to keep her look, and surely many others are going to be doing the same.

As long as your not picky it shouldn't be an issue, but for some people... yea Anet is gonna be making some money
Well, at $6.25 for 25 of the level 79 transmutation stones, it's thankfully not a whole lot of money.

I'm particular about my looks as well, but I only switch gear every ten levels or so. Managed to get by with just using what I got from map completion and a tiny bit extra from gems.

ShaneB

So when is neogaf going to actually try and do anything in WvW? There was a ton of talk pre-release about that... but I have yet to see an organized attempt.

The queue issues really put a damper on running together, or at least any sort of planned event. I would love to run something large scale together in WvW since I'm not high enough level for some stuff.

LOL I cant help but get crazy Ratchet and Clank vibes from Asura engineers

Haha, I knew something felt familiar about all of it while playing my Asura Engineer, that vibe is definitely there.

Ferrio

Banned
The queue issues really put a damper on running together, or at least any sort of planned event. I would love to run something large scale together in WvW since I'm not high enough level for some stuff.

Queues aren't that bad at all anymore. Less than an hour I'm finding now. Maybe more if you're trying eternal battlegrounds but meh.

KePoW

Banned

Shrug. You are correct that some people are certainly more particular about their gear aesthetics. I guess I just don't empathize too much with that, especially when someone is just leveling through content and gear gets replaced quickly.

Don't get me wrong though, at 80 (or max level in any MMO) I will be very picky with my gear looks. I just don't see the big deal before that.

arimanius

I had no queue last night for WvW. GAF will maybe have to plan events on a weekday instead of a weekend.

ShaneB

Queues aren't that bad at all anymore. Less than an hour I'm finding now. Maybe more if you're trying eternal battlegrounds but meh.

I had no queue last night for WvW. GAF will maybe have to plan events on a weekday instead of a weekend.

Ah, well I haven't WvW'd in a while. If the queues aren't a major issue anymore, than yes, I'd love to join a group if something is going to be planned. lol

Shrug. You are correct that some people are certainly more particular about their gear aesthetics. I guess I just don't empathize too much with that, especially when someone is just leveling through content and gear gets replaced quickly.

Don't get me wrong though, at 80 (or max level in any MMO) I will be very picky with my gear looks. I just don't see the big deal before that.

Certain classes just have better designed low level gear than others. Warriors for example are very boring looking at low levels while the cooler stuff takes a while to get, so they are less likely to be using up their stones on their generic armor looks.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
You have my thoughts exactly.

Yes, I want this:
NDHSt.png

It's the full (minus the hat) Koda set from Honor of the Waves.

Unfortunately, I don't think we'll be doing that one for a while until we have a full group of 80s. It's an 80 zone.

For a more balanced target I wouldn't mind shooting for some CM gear (the "beat up seraph" look is kinda neat), or Twilight Arbor explorable. That stuff is nuts.

The Koda set doesn't look as good on Asura, because of their proportions. Because of the size of the asura head, you have to pick a gear set with a nice looking helm. Koda looks like butt on Asura as a result.

On the other hand, Orrian and Flame Legion look fucking BALLER on Asura.

Flame Legion:

tjevw.jpg

Orrian

HbKOV.jpg

Speaking of armors, has any site uploaded pictures of all the sets?

I don't think so, but you can preview them in Lion's Arch yourself. The line of merchants east of the asura gates to the capital cities sell the dungeon gear.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Fine transmutation stones are only gems though? :(

I guess 200 for 5 isn't bad. That's basically a set, and I can afford that with gold already.

edit: Holy crap that orrian armor is nightmarish.

Achtius

Was great stuff for sure.

I am so, so down for TA story tonight.

If you don't take me, I will simply consider it a personal affront.

Then AC Explorable. Need ta do that run 10 times or so to get my chestpiece, haha.

I might go for CM leggings/boots since I'm racking up the tokens for them.

What level is Citadel of Flame?

I AM ALWAYS in for AC exploratory.

thetrin

Fine transmutation stones are only gems though? :(

I guess 200 for 5 isn't bad. That's basically a set, and I can afford that with gold already.

edit: Holy crap that orrian armor is nightmarish.

The best part about it is because the upper jaw is the helm, and the lower jaw is the breast plate, the idle animation makes it look like it's grinding its teeth.

I'll check in again at a later date to compare, but I have to ask:

Do people feel this game has longevity?

Game's strengths? Weaknesses? (Flaws that could be fixed?)

Do you see yourself playing 3 months from now? A year? More than a year?

I'd especially like insight from people who have played other MMOs compared to those that haven't.

thetrin

So any tips for CM explore? There were a few spots that just seemed relatively impossible (but I know they're doable).

Which parts?

If you're talking about the room with like, 15 guys, you're supposed to avoid them.

I've got a weird bug and can't find any solution. Wonder if anyone has any ideas?

When I made a guild for myself and the girlfriend, it made me leader but gave me no permissions. The only permission I have is edit rank which means I can change the rank name, everything else is greyed out. It's annoying because we have influence but can't upgrade anything.

thetrin

I'll check in again at a later date to compare, but I have to ask:

Do people feel this game has longevity?

Game's strengths? Weaknesses? (Flaws that could be fixed?)

Do you see yourself playing 3 months from now? A year? More than a year?

I'd especially like insight from people who have played other MMOs compared to those that haven't.

1) For sure. I'll probably play more WvW once I get my dungeon gear.

2) I think the game's biggest flaw is that it doesn't properly communicate and teach to the player. I love that it doesn't hold your hand, but there are times when the game really should tell the player how to do something.

3) I see myself playing the game for a very long time, but not daily. That's the beauty of the game, though. There's no subscription, so if I want to take a 3 month break and then come back for new content or to do dungeon runs, I don't really end up losing out on anything, and I'm not wasting money.

Booter

There's no subscription, so if I want to take a 3 month break and then come back for new content or to do dungeon runs, I don't really end up losing out on anything, and I'm not wasting money.

yeah, this is one of the best things about f2p / b2p mmos vs monthly mmos

i know that if i leave my chara for a few months, i can come back to it later and resume with no issue.

1) For sure. I'll probably play more WvW once I get my dungeon gear.

2) I think the game's biggest flaw is that it doesn't properly communicate and teach to the player. I love that it doesn't hold your hand, but there are times when the game really should tell the player how to do something.

3) I see myself playing the game for a very long time, but not daily. That's the beauty of the game, though. There's no subscription, so if I want to take a 3 month break and then come back for new content or to do dungeon runs, I don't really end up losing out on anything, and I'm not wasting money.

Agreed on 2. Hit 80 a few days ago at ~60% total map completion and while I know there is more to do, it feels just...lost. I looked at the 42k Karma pieces and decided that isn't worth the cost. Haven't looked at any dungeons yet but one friend said they are fairly grindy for the rewards and I would rather avoid doing anything that feels grindy.

I'm looking at my alts and 100% total map as my next goals, with some WvW for fun. It is just hard to easily figure out character development post-80 since everything is spread out or not easily discovered without research out of game. There is a lot to do but it could use more direction at times (BTW, what are all those "one item vendors" scattered around the world for???).

KePoW

Banned
Agreed on 2. Hit 80 a few days ago at ~60% total map completion and while I know there is more to do, it feels just...lost. I looked at the 42k Karma pieces and decided that isn't worth the cost. Haven't looked at any dungeons yet but one friend said they are fairly grindy for the rewards and I would rather avoid doing anything that feels grindy.

Shouldn't you at least try each dungeon once for *yourself*?

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Shouldn't you at least try each dungeon once for *yourself*?

The problem isn't so much with the dungeons than it is more the fact that you have to do them quite a bit before you get what you want. To most people, that's annoying and frustrating.

mackaveli

How many world events spawn treasure chests in the world?

I know of the dragons in frostgorge, sparkfly and blazeridge.

Are there any other area's that spawn world bosses that drop treasure chests?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom