• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aggro is such a WoW term, open your mind a little bit.
It's relevant, though. Assuming "Having the attention of the enemy" is the definition of aggro.

If someone is having problems with aggro, they need to use the environment, defensive utility skills, and/or boons and conditions to change the conditions under which you are being targeted. My warrior regularly gets HAMMERED on by champions because he deals outrageous damage in melee. What do I do when melee chases me? Or when the rangers start spiking on me? I dodge, take cover from ranged champs, cripple/immobilize and use swiftness to outrun melee champs. If it's a melee champ that can teleport/leap? I time a dodge for when they use that ability. I have yet to see a teleporting melee champion poof more often than I can dodge.

Boken

Banned
Aggro is just the logic that dictates what mob attacks who. Pretending it doesn't exist is simply trying to place GW2 on some kind of transcendant pedestal.

While we're complaining about shit, jesus hot join pvp sucks balls.

inky

Worse than 600 ELO? :p

I don't know, I kind of like it. I feel it's the only place in sPvP I can roll greatsword damage guardian and kill 2/3 people, cap a point and give no fucks, LOL. I'm only like level 7 anyway.

Fuck Mesmers tho, I'll take a thief or a 2 HP bars Necro any day.

etiolate

Banned
Yeah that is so weird to me...

I put in 600 hours into LoL and 500+ in DOTA. The way sPVP is structured it feels that way to me. Every match is different but everyone is pretty much on par with each other. I'm guessing that has a lot to do with why im enjoying PVP so much even if it doesn't contribute to my PVE side much.

Those games still put in a resetting progression hook with each match. Some people are really tied to upping stats as they go, even if its the same routine over and over.

So happy with how this armor looks on charr. considering how many look bad.

9ca60ba2ffed1be5ec9f8137e0c77e8f9bdaaa13.jpg
Is that in Lion's Arch? I haven't gotten there yet with any of my characters.

Also, I take it LA is going to be the "main" city in this game too, like for special events and stuff? Or will there be more than one?

I feel like the lack of endgame at release is a problem with every single MMO released lately. Seriously, when are Devs going to realize that people tend to rush to the endgame so there has to be a lot to do at release.

I think it's more a lack of breadth in endgame activities than a lack of an endgame at all. You tend to have a considerable deal of choice when it comes to leveling, especially in GW2, but when you hit the level cap, you're crammed into the churn of PvP or the same 1-2 raids and 2-3 dungeons. I think this is because developers are stuck into the frame of mind that these are the only ways that a player can progress once their XP bar stops.

etiolate

Banned
Lion's Arch feels like the main city. It's the portal to all other cities and connected to WvWvW and sPvP.

I think they'll have their special holiday stuff up in all the cities though.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
The fights I did with Hawkian the past two days have been amazing. Never before in dungeons have I ever felt like a crazy amazing adventurer, dodgerolling away from attacks, swapping weapons to drop a might buff and a heal with staff, then swapping back when the timer is up and leap attacking back into the fray, strafing around the enemy as much as possible.

You really just have to know what you're doing.
Imagine how it feels for me playing with a gamepad. The longer I play this game and then better I get at it, the less it feels like an MMO despite all the redecorated trappings of one the game presents at first glance.

This is in contrast to GW which was not an actual MMO at all but tried to come as close as possible to being one in more and more aspects over time.

Something that has really stood out to me during my last batch of dungeons was this: with a few exceptions ($@#!ing traps!), every death I had was because I screwed up in some way. I either got too aggressive, missed a stealth timing, forgot to switch weapons and used the wrong 5 skill, BAM.

Once you get used to making a beeline for downed teammates (the tick-down for revive is way faster in dungeons), the fights become a lot more fluid and continuous, and while yes, sometimes you'll still get wrecked, and have to walk back from the waypoint, you'll get better and better at avoiding death over time.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Aggro is just the logic that dictates what mob attacks who. Pretending it doesn't exist is simply trying to place GW2 on some kind of transcendant pedestal.

I don't think people are saying it doesn't exist. People are saying there's no aggro system and it doesn't work like WoW.

I feel like there should be a system of pulling enemies off squishier characters. If I want to attempt to save an ele or necro or mesmer as a guardian, I feel like there should be some way to, but not necessarily with a dedicated skill.

Pachinko

Well I finally managed to buy, download and play this for a couple hours.

I've hardly scratched the surface of the game having only done a handful of events , gained to level 4 and wandered about little more then the starting area but I think I can form some kind of opinion- it seems good and fun but it also still has some of the same things that keep it firmly in WOW style MMO territory.

Guild wars 2 seems like WOW but ... more fun I guess. The event system is just a neat way to get a bunch of players to focus on a specific task outside of simply wandering a dungeon to kill a boss over and over again, livens things up a bit. Also the quest structure is nothing new but quest completion and activation IS something different and better then usual.

WOW suffered from having the following gameplay outline- find the yellow exclaimation point , click on it, it tells you stuff , go find something else, bring it back , get an item and then go find another exclamation point. You could take tons of quests on and honestly it was a great system when it came out but now... not so much, especially having played GW2 - the system of backtracking and busywork has been streamlined and mostly chopped out. It's much more playable and fun to simply walk near what I'd say is the quest zone and have it just activate automatically, helping yourself and others to some tasks listed and killing stuff. Then after enough work is done you just complete it and a get a message instantly with the quest reward. it's just so much faster paced this way.

Also worth noting- while playing earlier I joined an event a bit too late and the event in question had a bunch of bandits trying to poison the towns water, in the end the event was failed which lead to a bunch of toxic slime monsters pouring out of the towns water supply , the new event saw me and a few others slaughtering those slimes for toxic goo samples to mix up an antidote to fix the water supply. It's just neat how some of that stuff chains to together.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Is that in Lion's Arch? I haven't gotten there yet with any of my characters.

Also, I take it LA is going to be the "main" city in this game too, like for special events and stuff? Or will there be more than one?

That indeed is in LA, its the huge fountain in the main square near the portals to the various races capital city. LA is the main city in the sense of all portals from the other capital cities lead there.

I feel like there should be a system of pulling enemies off squishier characters. If I want to attempt to save an ele or necro or mesmer as a guardian, I feel like there should be some way to, but not necessarily with a dedicated skill.

I thought it was just damaged based and such. Where doing a ton of damage to a target basically pisses it off. Which also includes things like healing.

No idea though, its just what Ive noticed on occasion and very well / most likely is wrong.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
son of a b. double posted. If one of the mods can deep six this post would be much appreciated.

apologies to everyone else.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
That's right guys. If you don't enjoy the game, you just don't know what you're doing.

And I was kidding about the aggro comment, thought that was obvious.

KuGsj.gif
man, that's kind of out of context.

Gonna venture out on a limb and guess he meant that to succeed in the dungeons you have to know what you're doing (I am excepting CM story which is laughably easy).

kayos90

KuGsj.gif
man, that's kind of out of context.

Gonna venture out on a limb and guess he meant that to succeed in the dungeons you have to know what you're doing (I am excepting CM story which is laughably easy).

That still doesn't justify that phrase.

kayos90

Pick one sentence out of context from a larger post...try to be snarky about it. It's the GAF way man.

There are three sentences in that quote. One is entirely irrelevant and the other just lends more to the fact that the second sentence is ridiculous. I don't see how I'm being snarky by posting that it's a ridiculous comment even if it's in or out of context. Also, the only way to justify that sentence is if he was joking.

Ferny

There are three sentences in that quote. One is entirely irrelevant and the other just lends more to the fact that the second sentence is ridiculous. I don't see how I'm being snarky by posting that it's a ridiculous comment even if it's in or out of context. Also, the only way to justify that sentence is if he was joking.

I was definitely not talking about you kayos.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
And I was kidding about the aggro comment, thought that was obvious.

Jokes are not as funny when the punch line is based on a factual inaccuracy. :p

I'm going to complain about how terrible of an idea the Risen are.

I absolutely fucking hate the Risen. Oh my fucking god. Literally every time I fight them, I somehow end up in a fight with 10x more than I expected.

I mean, it makes sense, but fuck is it annoying.

I absolutely fucking hate the Risen. Oh my fucking god. Literally every time I fight them, I somehow end up in a fight with 10x more than I expected.

Ha, I agree, but had to make it pertain to the WoW hating ;)

Ashodin

Get on mumble! Let's do stuff

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I feel like the lack of endgame at release is a problem with every single MMO released lately. Seriously, when are Devs going to realize that people tend to rush to the endgame so there has to be a lot to do at release.

Then there shouldn't be any levels at all. Problem solved. Now everything is endgame.

Get on mumble! Let's do stuff

Word. Was waiting for you to finish Claw of Jormag. Omw.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Honestly, I think the GW2 universe could go without the norns. WTB less proud warrior race guy. Bring back dwarves.

I love Dwarves as much as the next sane and rational person, but what are you talking about? The Norn are the coolest race out there. They're a weird mix of Scandinavian, Native American, and a little dose of Germania circa pre-Roman Empire. If those three cultures don't scream "proud warrior kingdoms" then I don't know what do.

The second best race is the Charr who are straight up Roman Empire.

Everything else is a bore.

Ploid 3.0

Is there a way to lock the camera so that your character is always facing in the way that the camera is facing? This is my first time playing and this tank like control can't be the way people in the videos are playing is it? Currently I have to turn my character to face the direction I'm looking at with A or D.

nvm, I had to hold right click. What key config do you guys use? Is there a way to lock this camera mode without having to hole right click?

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
I'm going to complain about how terrible of an idea the Risen are.

Well, the good thing is that the Risen are mainly a Zhaitan thing so the expansions probably won't feature them as prominently (or even at all). =P

Ashodin

Is there a way to lock the camera so that your character is always facing in the way that the camera is facing? This is my first time playing and this tank like control can't be the way people in the videos are playing is it? Currently I have to turn my character to face the direction I'm looking at with A or D.

nvm, I had to hold right click. What key config do you guys use? Is there a way to lock this camera mode without having to hole right click?

WASD for life. No, you have to hold right click down all the time. It'll take some getting used to.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Well, the good thing is that the Risen are mainly a Zhaitan thing so the expansions probably won't feature them as prominently (or even at all). =P

Indeed. I actually enjoy the idea of the Risen based upon Zhaitan. The fact that we won't get it shoved in our face ala WoW for several years is what sets it apart for me.

thetrin

Key config wise, i use 12345, Q for heal, ZXC for utilities, and E for elite. It may seem awkward, but I've gotten used to it, can move while I cast, and my hand never moves.

I think it's more a lack of breadth in endgame activities than a lack of an endgame at all. You tend to have a considerable deal of choice when it comes to leveling, especially in GW2, but when you hit the level cap, you're crammed into the churn of PvP or the same 1-2 raids and 2-3 dungeons. I think this is because developers are stuck into the frame of mind that these are the only ways that a player can progress once their XP bar stops.
Wait, what? There's several encounters that qualify as "raids" and all the dungeons in the game are usable for gear at level 80, so that's just ridiculously inaccurate and misleading.

Please don't spread misinformation.

thetrin

There are 6 dungeons with 80 gear, and each has 3 separate paths that don't intersect That's 18 dungeons, technically.

The game has no raids.

You also get 1 skill point for every level after 80, so it never actually stops.

Piecake

Norn areas are the best. Kinda glad i went the human route on my main, cause I really wont be bothered at all doing the Norn area twice (once on my alt and then on my main)

Speaking of dungeons, are some of them still bugged? need to get that AC story done before saturday...

Helmholtz

I'm enjoying the PvE in GW2 a fair amount, I'm around level 50 now. The environments alone make exploring worthwhile, they're soooo nice looking.

The few times I've ventured into WvW/PvP were enough for me to know I probably won't get into that stuff. WvW was just a mess in my opinion, but then again I play a lot of Dota 2, so when it comes to team based PvP in games it's hard to beat Dota. WvW is one of those things where it sounds fucking awesome on paper, but when you actually play it it's not very fun. At least for me, anyway.

But yeah the PvE is pretty cool and that's all I really cared about with this game anyway. Only thing I'm not digging as much is the personal story. I feel like it encourages solo play, and it just feels like a generic single player RPG to me. I liked GW1's mission hubs where it was easier to go on longer missions with groups of people, since we all shared common objectives. I think the personal story is a step backwards. I really didn't need the whole customization aspect of the main story... I mean it's cool and all, but if I wanted that I'd play mass effect or skyrim or something. When I'm playing an MMO I want it to be multiplayer as much as possible, and while personal stories allow people to go along with you, I don't think it's very common.

And I have to mention I'm loving the lack of a monthly fee just like I did with the first game. It's a godsend now that school is starting to ramp up for me. I can just not play for days that I'm busy on and it's no big deal. It's just nice that there's no pressure and I can enjoy the game at whatever pace I see fit. I could totally have seen myself rushing through content if there was a fee attached. I also have to give props to the gem system. I bought an additional bank tab by converting gold to gems, which is really helpful.

I've done a lot of explorable dungeons. Arah is fairly challenging, but only one of the fights in there would qualify as harder than a wow heroic. Not saying that's a bad thing, because it's about the same level as an entry level raid.

Llyranor

For me, sPvP > WvWvW > PvE, but they're all so different that I can see myself spending a lot of time playing all the modes. I'm actually surprised how much I'm enjoying the PvE. Exploration is fun.

I love Dwarves as much as the next sane and rational person, but what are you talking about? The Norn are the coolest race out there. They're a weird mix of Scandinavian, Native American, and a little dose of Germania circa pre-Roman Empire. If those three cultures don't scream "proud warrior kingdoms" then I don't know what do.

The second best race is the Charr who are straight up Roman Empire.

Everything else is a bore.
Charr are my favorite race, hands down.

I'm just not huge on proud warrior races. Except klingons.

Varna

So just so I understand the gear scaling in this game.

I am a level 40 character equipped with pretty good level 40 gear.
I enter a zone where I am downscaled to level 20. I spent some time there, leveling up several times. A am now less effective then when I started because gear scaled down relative to my level?

Tried WvWvW with a friend so we could get the Vista/PoI and skills points, but people didn't give a shit they see you are staying away from the battle yet they chase you down in mobs I had like 8 players alone kill me one time, told my friend I won't be getting 100%, I HATE PvP and that shit was annoying just trying to hide for 1 vista, force PvP to 100% the map when 93% of the map is in PvE is a fucking terrible idea..

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Indeed. I actually enjoy the idea of the Risen based upon Zhaitan. The fact that we won't get it shoved in our face ala WoW for several years is what sets it apart for me.

Me too, honestly. I enjoy all of the creatures in GW2 (friendly or otherwise) really and there's only so much you can do with zombies. We are very lucky that the zombies aren't the generic, general zombies but rather zombies tied to a boss that won't last throughout the entirety of Guild Wars 2.

Me too, honestly. I enjoy all of the creatures in GW2 (friendly or otherwise) really and there's only so much you can do with zombies. We are very lucky that the zombies aren't the generic, general zombies but rather zombies tied to a boss that won't last throughout the entirety of Guild Wars 2.

Risen Chickens are dangerous little bastards lol...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom