• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Won

Anyone who's wondering what class to pick. Please do not make the same mistake I did and choose Necromancer.

Useful links
Necro skills/traits that don't work as they state.
The Sorry State of the Necromancer

Only class I haven't tried yet. There is a certain aura around that class whenever I see it in the game, which makes the class just look bad. Sounds like it may an actual bad class!

You guys think they'll allow race changes later?

I hope so. Want to replace my Charr Engineer with an Asura, but I'm not rerolling at this point. :(

Seguin

Banned
How's the PvE endgame? I'm enjoying myself leveling up, but it does feel a bit mechanical with all that shit on my map. Instead of doing quests it just feels like I'm checking off boxes on a list.

About 300 hours in. Love the game, but there are some extremely disappointing things about it that really don't make sense.

I feel like Arah, the last dungeon, really wasn't finished. It feels extremely amateur and I've played better scripted events in SC2 mods. I really hope they address it.

The explorable mode for arah is much more satisfying, but involves rather unimportant enemies that I just cant care about after the story mode. I've only beat explorable on two pathes so far though.

But the only thing that really kills me is the armor sets. The named exotic armor sets that feature important guild wars 1 characters, specifically

Devona's Set, Koss's Set, Rurik's Set, Galreth's set etc..

they all have exactly the same skin. The pitfighter one.

Why arenanet would put a set of armor in the game with rurik's name on it, an iconic character with a very distinctive armorset and make it that disgusting abomination of a 3d model is beyond me.

Tier 3 weapons are 68k Karma. Just saying :)

Tier 3 Cultural Asura weapons are 63k karma each, like this sword:

9EXU6.jpg

Azzurri

How's the PvE endgame? I'm enjoying myself leveling up, but it does feel a bit mechanical with all that shit on my map. Instead of doing quests it just feels like I'm checking off boxes on a list.

I didn't write this, it's from another forum, but it's pretty close to how I feel.

Blizzard may suck now but il give them one major thing, WoW has an endgame.

Been level 80 for a while and quite honestly haven't played in 3 days. There is NOTHING exciting to do at 80.

Sure you can explore...cuz that's so exciting.

Sure you can make a new toon, but it's the exact same thing all over.

The only way to make money realistically is farming mats. Crafting actually cost money with how much the TP robs u of.

I'd say you can gear hunt, but you can't... The best gear (realistically, excluding legandaries) is easily attained for 3 gold a piece on the TP.

Sucks brahs, wish I had the desire to play but even PvP is boring as fawk. An MMO that requires me to go to a closed world to PvP is the same as finding a game in call of duty but I get magic and swords instead of an M4.

Don't get me wrong I like the game and will still play it.

Arken2121

Sword and Focus. Trait for VoJ reset on kill and blind. Equip utility skill that blinds and burns. Burn forever.

It works well enough in PvE; just don't bring it into SE. >.>

I realize that but blind isn't as useful as originally thought, especially since an autoattack can cancel it. Are you taking about judges intervention?

This only works on a kill but won't do much against a skilled player(s)

Ken

I realize that but blind isn't as useful as originally thought, especially since an autoattack can cancel it. Are you taking about judges intervention?

This only works on a kill but won't do much against a skilled player(s)

Ah well I only do PvE.

I didn't write this, it's from another forum, but it's pretty close to how I feel.

I'm with you, though I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little more than disappointed by the lack of endgame. I'm not too bothered though, since the game has no sub. There's no real downside to just logging out, playing very casually, so waiting it out for content isn't as upsetting, to me, as it would be in, say, WoW or SWTOR.

Ferny

Honestly, his line about going to another world or realm to play PVP where it doesn't affect anything outside of that realm is perhaps the only reason why I do love the PVP in this game. I hated having to have different gear for PVP in WoW and having to worry about all this stuff. This game gives you everything right up front and then you just have to make the best decisions for your own play style. I've played more PVP this game than any other MMO before it.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD

I agree with that poster's opinion, I've finished the personal story and basically have everything I want. Really have no desire to play since I get terrible frames in WvW and Spvp is not fun for me.

inky

Well, there's still gear hunt -cosmetic and all- but it's still there. I don't see the problem with PvP, maybe people are not used to not being able to outgear people due to hours alone and that makes them feel bad about it? I don't see a problem with that, plus there's also legendaries to build.

Dungeon sets in explorable mode and big world events are the equivalent of repeatable gear hunts and PvE content, are they not? It's a weird complaint to have for this game but not others. In my experience, people at cap in other games don't run 6 or 7 different instances all the time, they run 1 or 2. The rewards kind of suck I agree, so maybe that is why.

There's definitely stuff to do still, the problem is that people get to 80 and feel they've accomplished the biggest milestone, while getting to 80 is like the easiest thing in this game. I would consider it like the halfway step of your journey, but I will admit the game is not clear about pointing you to the stuff you can do anywhere. Lack of exposition might throw people off too. I know your story ends, but the way people play PvE (not paying attention to NPC dialogue chains, going back to speak with them and what not) maybe makes them feel there is no such substance there when there definitely is.

Arken2121

I'm still trying to figure out some traits. Anyone here know what kind of boost you get from the Elusive power trait? Also, what does it mean by "low Endurance?"

inky

I'm still trying to figure out some traits. Anyone here know what kind of boost you get from the Elusive power trait? Also, what does it mean by "low Endurance?"

Endurance is the thing in the dodge bar. Low endurance I would imagine is less than the amount that allows you to dodge at least once.

TheYanger

Oh, before I forget, I hate that contribution for the dragon events is brutal as crap. You should have to contribute sure, but having to do hundreds of thousands of damage to even get bronze is asinine. As a Guardian, getting credit on the Claw of Jormag is ALMOST impossible. Stupid design.

so does the tier 1, 2 and 3 differ from each toher?

Yes - in fact, I would say there's no level 80 karma content that I would buy for the stats - I just spend karma on 'skins' now.

To be fair, that's sort of the whole endgame after you hit the exotic gear plateau.

Ploid 3.0

Just bought the game and am downloading it atm. What class should I start with?

For reference I like pet classes and soloability. If anyone is familiar (lol pun not intended) with ffxi I played Thief, and Beast Master the most.

Beast master was better and more rewarding solo. I could explore any environment safely pretty much thanks to the way aggro/enmity worked. If I got aggro I could charm, or sic a pet on it then walk away.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHU-J5i90JU

Thief was evasive and I could use tricky stuff to fight enemies. It was interesting to play in groups or solo.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1zi5pjGd0I

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
That was some weird stuff with the Caudecus instance mix up. Hopefully the next time I try playing, I won't crash and then be stuck with my own instance.

Won

sPvP being it's seperate thing is still the biggest problem for me in this game. (well besides all the buggy events) Not a bad idea at it's core, but I personally still can't muster any interest for it. :/

Macattk15

Bleh. Hit 80 last week.

Been bored as heck when logging in and not leveling anymore.

Ran CoT explorable a bunch, got some of the token loots, leveled armorsmithing / weaponsmithing to 400 ... made some exotics. Ran AC Explorable a bunch ... got up to 100 tokens don't care anymore.

WvWvW a little ... kind of boring. Been playing sPvP on main and alts ... decently fun for small amounts of time.

What are we supposed to do in this game upon hitting 80 .... is WvWvW really it? That and running the dungeons which really don't offer upgrades ... just cosmetic perks.

Oh, before I forget, I hate that contribution for the dragon events is brutal as crap. You should have to contribute sure, but having to do hundreds of thousands of damage to even get bronze is asinine. As a Guardian, getting credit on the Claw of Jormag is ALMOST impossible. Stupid design.

I obtained Gold on my warrior the one time I did it ... didn't seem too difficult. Does damage done to adds in that fight count? I think thats how I got it if it does.

This is how I have felt since Sunday, I got to 80 late Saturday night and by the end of Sunday I was fucking bored with GW2, my choices aren't different from any other MMO, grind for shit gear, grind end game dungeon for even more shit gear, or do crafting. If it wasn't for my friends I wouldn't be playing, because after playing at least 6 hours every day since launch, Monday I played less than 1 hour, it's my friends doing crazy shit like 3man champions for lol is the reason why I keep playing, today I tried PvP and once again an MMO PvP can't move me like CoD/BF3, got bored in 5 mins and left the PvP area...

PS:I have 19gold 66silver 15copper, I can buy an exotic armor set, I don't have to grind karma for mines...

Ken

Keep rolling alts until a hand comes out of your monitor and slaps you to remind you that it's not worth it.

My goal at the moment is:

Hit 80 on my warrior.
400 in armorsmith.
Craft my exotic set and get jewelry.
Grind ONE dungeon for its set and transmute.

After that I don't know. Run stuff with the guild? Whatever keeps me occupied until BL2 and DOA5.

OceanBlue

I just realized that the reason I always have such low life in WvW is due to my items scaling down. I always level 3-4 times a day, so in 2-3 days my equipment scales awfully. I kinda don't want to do WvW until I reach 80 now...

Rarutos

Anyone got tips on how to get 2nd tier Fine Crafting Materials? Seems like they're really hard to come by. I 100%'d Kessex Hills on an alt, figuring that some might drop, but didn't get nearly enough. :(

They're also way too expensive on the Trading Post!

Azzurri

I never liked how you got all your weapon skills in like 10 min, I know a lot of people love this, but there is nothing like opening up new skills every couple lvls to max, feels like I accomplished something on my way to max.

Also, if they added like one "PvP zone" where you could PvP against people on your server would be pretty awesome to me anyways. Whole crap load you could do in the zone

Yuripaw

Banned
Bleh. Hit 80 last week.

Ran CoT explorable a bunch, got some of the token loots, leveled armorsmithing / weaponsmithing to 400 ... made some exotics. Ran AC Explorable a bunch ... got up to 100 tokens don't care anymore.

WvWvW a little ... kind of boring. Been playing sPvP on main and alts ... decently fun for small amounts of time.

What are we supposed to do in this game upon hitting 80 .... is WvWvW really it? That and running the dungeons which really don't offer upgrades ... just cosmetic perks.

This is why I don't really ever be in a rush to play these games. I've been working a lot more lately, so I haven't had as much to play, but I still don't have any urge to instantly hit max level like so many people do. From my experience playing Final Fantasy XI all those years, leveling up my character was part of what made the experience fun to me. I'm taking my time with this game.

Ken

Also, I never liked how you got all your weapon skills in like 10 min, I know a lot of people love this, but there is nothing like opening up new skills every couple lvls to max, feels like I accomplished something on my way to max.

Yeah, I wish weapon skills got upgrades or more opened up as you progressed to change up the combat.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Bleh. Hit 80 last week.

I obtained Gold on my warrior the one time I did it ... didn't seem too difficult. Does damage done to adds in that fight count? I think thats how I got it if it does.

This is how I have felt since Sunday, I got to 80 late Saturday night and by the end of Sunday I was fucking bored with GW2, my choices aren't different from any other MMO, grind for shit gear, grind end game dungeon for even more shit gear, or do crafting. If it wasn't for my friends I wouldn't be playing, because after playing at least 6 hours every day since launch, Monday I played less than 1 hour, it's my friends doing crazy shit like 3man champions for lol is the reason why I keep playing, today I tried PvP and once again an MMO PvP can't move me like CoD/BF3, got bored in 5 mins and left the PvP area...

PS:I have 19gold 66silver 15copper, I can buy an exotic armor set, I don't have to grind karma for mines...
Out of curiosity, you two done a recent /age?

Ashodin

Bleh. Hit 80 last week.

Doesn't sound like this game is for you. You need more of the treadmill type MMOs.

Puckmarin

Banned
I'm with you, though I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little more than disappointed by the lack of endgame. I'm not too bothered though, since the game has no sub. There's no real downside to just logging out, playing very casually, so waiting it out for content isn't as upsetting, to me, as it would be in, say, WoW or SWTOR.

I feel like the lack of endgame at release is a problem with every single MMO released lately. Seriously, when are Devs going to realize that people tend to rush to the endgame so there has to be a lot to do at release.

scosher

The game does have an end-game.

It's just not a PvE one. I'm sure people who played WoW for raiding or loot drops may be disappointed, but I absolutely love both WvW and sPvP in this game, and there being no gear grind to stay competitive. I view the PvE content as just a really nice bonus that was mostly absent in GW1 (even if it gets too grindy post-50). PvE endgame can be developed further in content patches and expansions, and I hope any future dungeons are made as (reasonably) challenging as possible.

But more than any PvE content, the game needs PvP ladders, maps for team deathmatch and CTF and other game-modes, and a more visible realm ranking for WvW, for bragging rights. Or even ways for guilds to hang their banner/emblem on their main server world (ie. in major cities or places like Vigil's Keep, etc.) if they have success in WvW.

As someone who endured a lot of the terrible PvP imbalances throughout multiple arena seasons for WoW, it amazes me that Arenanet managed to get the health vs damage ratio just right at release, so the PvP doesn't feel so bursty or turtlish.

Compare that to a game like Diablo 3 that launched without PvP and still has yet to implement any form of it nearly 4 months later.

I have a question and I haven't really seen any definitive answers online. I bought the digital version on Amazon but I've been waiting to download it until my new laptop comes in (should be sometime next week). Recently I've been wanting to mess around with character creation, though, and was thinking of doing it on my old laptop (which wouldn't be able to run the game very well).

My question is, can I use the activation key that came with my purchase on multiple computers? The key is just to register the account, right?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Ashodin

I have a question and I haven't really seen any definitive answers online. I bought the digital version on Amazon but I've been waiting to download it until my new laptop comes in (should be sometime next week). Recently I've been wanting to mess around with character creation, though, and was thinking of doing it on my old laptop (which wouldn't be able to run the game very well).

My question is, can I use the activation key that came with my purchase on multiple computers? The key is just to register the account, right?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

It's just for the account, yeah.

Azzurri

I feel like the lack of endgame at release is a problem with every single MMO released lately. Seriously, when are Devs going to realize that people tend to rush to the endgame so there has to be a lot to do at release.

Yea, I never understood this. You'd think after seeing tons of MMO failing is due to lack of endgame. Most people, don't care about the journey from 1-max, it's more about what can I do when I'm max lvl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom