• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
94 hours. Across 3 professions.

Possibly. Too bad a good one doesn't exist.

There really isn't much to do max level unless you like WvW or alts. Or playing dress up and collecting the same stat different appearance loots.

I'm rather happy that the stats aren't that much different. It would completely destroy PvP otherwise, and players who don't want to don't have to play a treadmill of dungeons just to get decent gear.

Puckmarin

Banned
Yea, I never understood this. You'd think after seeing tons of MMO failing is due to lack of endgame. Most people, don't care about the journey from 1-max, it's more about what can I do when I'm max lvl.

Yes, but if they don't provide a compelling 1-max experience people will complain about that as well. In order to succeed a game needs both.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
It's time to take a break.

That's pretty low considering the numbers I've seen from other gaffers (I'm at 170+ hours myself all on one character). Some people have gone for 200+ hours IIRC. But yea I'm taking a break for a little bit.

Macattk15

I'm rather happy that the stats aren't that much different. It would completely destroy PvP otherwise, and players who don't want to don't have to play a treadmill of dungeons just to get decent gear.

Yeah it's understandable from the PvP point. I really enjoy sPvP ... I just wish there were different game modes and easier to play with friends sans tourny mode.

I really don't enjoy WvW at all.

etiolate

Banned
Gear treadmills and power creep equate to the same thing as GW2 has, but with more drawbacks.

You never really get stronger in those games relative to the next challenge. It's just a gear check, but each time your stats improve, the monsters improve. You're kept running at the same speed continuously. (Thus the treadmill name.) What does happen is all previous content becomes trivial because your statistical power outweighs any personal skill needed to survive.

Ken

But yea I'm taking a break for a little bit.

You know what you want to do:

tumblr_m9x031cPto1qbzoigo1_500.gif

Ashodin

The problem most people are having when they come across this game is the wrong mentality of thinking for MMOs in general.

"What can do I at max level?"
"What gear can I get to replace my gear?"
"Why can't I dodge all the time?"

Instead, the questions should be asked:

"How many things can I do at max level today?"
"How can I acquire the looks of that gear and mix and match stats to make the gear I want?"
"When is the best time to dodge?"

etc.

TheYanger and his own opinions are very wow-centric, so if you read his posts he will come across as wrong as well. This kind of thinking doesn't fit this game, and if you continue to try to fit GW2 into WoW's mold, you will get more and more frustrated with the game, as many people here have seen to have done.

The draw to the game is the ability to do whatever you want when you reach Level 80. Technically, you can do more and more as you level up, including returning to older zones.

All the gear at a specific TIER of gear;

LVL 80 RARE
LVL 80 EXOTIC
LVL 80 LEGENDARY

has the exact same stats. A LVL 80 Rare Shaman's Norn Greatsword will have the same stats as a LVL 80 Rare Carrion Verdant Greatsword. The stat distributions, however, will be different. This is where transmutation stones come in. These stones are gotten for doing dailies, completing zones, and even can be bought off the gem store for cheap.

Thus it becomes acquiring the gear with the stats you want, then acquiring the gear with the looks you want. Some people interchange the two.

I personally believe that acquiring stats first makes the acquiring of looks faster (better stats meaning easier runs through dungeon explorables).

Secondly, to address the issue of Ascalonian Catacombs: The dungeon isn't hard - it's the first dungeon people cut their teeth on, and it's a doozy. The real reason why it's hard is because of several factors:

- People probably not sure how the game works yet
- People wearing sub 30 gear (making them have shit for health, damage, etc)
- People not dodging as much
- People not using the environment to their advantage

etc, etc. Most of the "problems" the dungeon has is based off of player error.

The game rewards you for smart thinking. If you can avoid enemies? Avoid 'em. If you can lure enemies to a much safer vantage point? Do it. If you can bring outside influences into the zone? Smart on you. These "inelegant" designs people think about the dungeon is because they're used to the idea that a fight has to go a certain "way". If there are multiple ways to a solution, does that mean that the problem was wrong in the first place? No, you were just smart enough to think outside the box. That is the biggest mantra the game teaches you.

And please, don't listen to TheYanger. The game is not based off of RNG. It's based off of you paying attention to your surroundings, not trying to facetank enemies thinking you won't get hit back, and hit hard.

Half of the reason people get "twoshot" or "oneshot" is because they unerringly stand right in front of enemies, or in the path of shots.

The fights I did with Hawkian the past two days have been amazing. Never before in dungeons have I ever felt like a crazy amazing adventurer, dodgerolling away from attacks, swapping weapons to drop a might buff and a heal with staff, then swapping back when the timer is up and leap attacking back into the fray, strafing around the enemy as much as possible.

You really just have to know what you're doing.

Ken

Man playing PvE and human noble is boring, Im only around level 13 but what a snooze, should I go with another race?

Eh, I haven't enjoyed the story a whole lot on the asura or human. Try leveling up in another zone if you don't like the human area?

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
enjoying it quite a lot. Currently on Harathi Hinterlands, level 44 Norn Engi. Game does innovate on a lot of things, most of which make sense insteada being different for the hell of it and less enjoyable than the old staples of the genre. Reviving, world events, exploration, crafting...everything feels good

I would love to see different weapons though..rifles and pistols are good and varied, but why one flamethrower? At least give me the ability to upgrade it

another small gripe is the Trading Post. The fact you need to talk to a TP guy to check your auctions is terrible. A postal system would have been much better

markot

Banned
enjoying it quite a lot. Currently on Harathi Hinterlands, level 44 Norn Engi. Game does innovate on a lot of things, most of which make sense insteada being different but less enjoyable than the old staples of the genre

I would love to see different weapons though..rifles and pistols are good and varied, but why one flamethrower? At least give me the ability to upgrade it
Cause they would need a lot of class specific drops then. Most classes have unique abilities like flame thrower.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Gear treadmills and power creep equate to the same thing as GW2 has, but with more drawbacks.

You never really get stronger in those games relative to the next challenge. It's just a gear check, but each time your stats improve, the monsters improve. You're kept running at the same speed continuously. (Thus the treadmill name.) What does happen is all previous content becomes trivial because your statistical power outweighs any personal skill needed to survive.

This point could be a self-check sign to determine: "Do I want to play WoW or something different?"

I think the notion of getting to 80 then enjoying (?) steamrolling all the previous content in the game has become terribly taken for granted by a lot of people, as if this is the only valid design choice for an MMO.

But, as stated, the drawback of that is invalidating the prior content of the entire game.

As for the whole endgame question, I have to admit my perspective is not that of, I guess, the hardened MMO warrior; I'm in no rush to get to 80, especially since there's no sub. While endgame content is a very valid concern, I have to wonder how much of the initial feelings are spawned from subconsciously comparing a nearly decade old game loaded with patched and expansions to a brand new version 1.0 MMO-ish game.

Macattk15

Half of the reason people get "twoshot" or "oneshot" is because they unerringly stand right in front of enemies, or in the path of shots.

The fights I did with Hawkian the past two days have been amazing. Never before in dungeons have I ever felt like a crazy amazing adventurer, dodgerolling away from attacks, swapping weapons to drop a might buff and a heal with staff, then swapping back when the timer is up and leap attacking back into the fray, strafing around the enemy as much as possible.

Dodge rolling twice while that Ascalonian Ranger is still glue'd to your ass 3 shotting you I think you meant.

Least thats how much fun I had in Ghost Eater's room.

It's time to take a break.

You have been playing for 1 hour. It's time to take a break.
You have been playing for 2 hours. It's time to take a break.
You have been playing for 3 hours. It's time to take a break.
You have been playing for 4 hours. It's time to take a break.
You have been playing for 5 hours. It's time to take a break.

Shambles

When I hit a level in a craft like 75 where it opens up new stuff is there an order i should be making stuff? Does it matter if i make components, refinements, or insignias first? Or just go crazy?

When I hit a level in a craft like 75 where it opens up new stuff is there an order i should be making stuff? Does it matter if i make components, refinements, or insignias first? Or just go crazy?
Your best option is to refine the shit out of your basic mats and make the parts you need to discover recipes with. Then start hitting the discovery tab to make new things.

I never had problems. My party was actively putting up Protection. -33% damage. Check it.
In general, GW2 is a lot like GW2. When it comes to buffs and conditions, bring everything you can. Bring certain types if you know you'll need them.

eg. Against champions that you can't CC effectively, bring cripple, immobilize, blind, chill, and weakness. DPS will kill a boss in the end, but debuffing will let you get the hits in to do the damage.

Not just you. Your party. It's a team effort.
This is why hitting dungeons is a lot better with people you can communicate with.

squidyj

The problem most people are having when they come across this game is the wrong mentality of thinking for MMOs in general.

"What can do I at max level?"
"What gear can I get to replace my gear?"
"Why can't I dodge all the time?"

Instead, the questions should be asked:

"How many things can I do at max level today?"
"How can I acquire the looks of that gear and mix and match stats to make the gear I want?"
"When is the best time to dodge?"

etc.

TheYanger and his own opinions are very wow-centric, so if you read his posts he will come across as wrong as well. This kind of thinking doesn't fit this game, and if you continue to try to fit GW2 into WoW's mold, you will get more and more frustrated with the game, as many people here have seen to have done.

The draw to the game is the ability to do whatever you want when you reach Level 80. Technically, you can do more and more as you level up, including returning to older zones.

All the gear at a specific TIER of gear;

LVL 80 RARE
LVL 80 EXOTIC
LVL 80 LEGENDARY

has the exact same stats. A LVL 80 Rare Shaman's Norn Greatsword will have the same stats as a LVL 80 Rare Carrion Verdant Greatsword. The stat distributions, however, will be different. This is where transmutation stones come in. These stones are gotten for doing dailies, completing zones, and even can be bought off the gem store for cheap.

Thus it becomes acquiring the gear with the stats you want, then acquiring the gear with the looks you want. Some people interchange the two.

I personally believe that acquiring stats first makes the acquiring of looks faster (better stats meaning easier runs through dungeon explorables).

Secondly, to address the issue of Ascalonian Catacombs: The dungeon isn't hard - it's the first dungeon people cut their teeth on, and it's a doozy. The real reason why it's hard is because of several factors:

- People probably not sure how the game works yet
- People wearing sub 30 gear (making them have shit for health, damage, etc)
- People not dodging as much
- People not using the environment to their advantage

etc, etc. Most of the "problems" the dungeon has is based off of player error.

The game rewards you for smart thinking. If you can avoid enemies? Avoid 'em. If you can lure enemies to a much safer vantage point? Do it. If you can bring outside influences into the zone? Smart on you. These "inelegant" designs people think about the dungeon is because they're used to the idea that a fight has to go a certain "way". If there are multiple ways to a solution, does that mean that the problem was wrong in the first place? No, you were just smart enough to think outside the box. That is the biggest mantra the game teaches you.

And please, don't listen to TheYanger. The game is not based off of RNG. It's based off of you paying attention to your surroundings, not trying to facetank enemies thinking you won't get hit back, and hit hard.

You don't like it? well you're just doing it wrong then!

what bullshit.

Macattk15

Not just you. Your party. It's a team effort.

So how many Guardians did you have in your party if you reliably always had protection on yourself? Pretty cool that Guardians are the only ones who can reliably give allies Protection. I guess Rangers can help with their Moa pets ... but Elixir tossing is too random.

what bullshit.

Fanboys gonna fan.

Ashodin

what bullshit.

You got the message wrong. It's not about not liking it - it's about the fact that the reason why you don't like it is because you're probably not thinking about it in a different way.

So how many guardians did you have in your party if you reliably always had protection on yourself?

Fanboys gonna fan.
We had two Guardians. It wasn't that hard between virtues and Mace/Shield. Other classes can give protection too, like Engineer.

And I don't appreciate your tone. I'm a fan of the game, yes, but so are most of us here. However, I won't sit idly by and watch people tear at the game because it's different. I want to help you understand why it's different.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Yea, I never understood this. You'd think after seeing tons of MMO failing is due to lack of endgame. Most people, don't care about the journey from 1-max, it's more about what can I do when I'm max lvl.

There is no tradtional endgame with GW2 and that's why a lot of people are just stopping. They're so accustomed to rushing to level and stuff so they can get to the real meat of the game which is endgame. That's not how GW2 works and that's not how it was designed.

Macattk15

You got the message wrong. It's not about not liking it - it's about the fact that the reason why you don't like it is because you're probably not thinking about it in a different way.

We had two Guardians. It wasn't that hard between virtues and Mace/Shield. Other classes can give protection too, like Engineer.

And I don't appreciate your tone. I'm a fan of the game, yes, but so are most of us here. However, I won't sit idly by and watch people tear at the game because it's different. I want to help you understand why it's different.

I don't need you to help me understand why it's different. Why do you think I do? Engineer gives protection randomly by tossing Elixir H around ... 66% chance to not be Protection.

So to make dungeons bearable and not get dominated by normal mobs I just should bring Guardians or play one myself. It's also silly that the "trash" in the dungeons is usually 300% harder than any boss.

There is no tradtional endgame with GW2 and that's why a lot of people are just stopping. They're so accustomed to rushing to level and stuff so they can get to the real meat of the game which is endgame. That's not how GW2 works and that's not how it was designed.

Although, that isn't to say there won't be more dungeons and whatever else introduced later on, introducing a more traditional endgame. Though, 3-4 weeks after release is not where people should be whinging and crying about it.

Macattk15

Although, that isn't to say there won't be more dungeons and whatever else introduced later on, introducing a more traditional endgame. Though, 3-4 weeks after release is not where people should be whinging and crying about it.

More dungeons which just offer more dress-up gear ....

kayos90

The philosophy behind the current design of GW2 is that endgame is supposed to be every point in the game. It doesn't really matter what level you are, the game is supposed to be acting like endgame. As a result, dungeons really aren't endgame but people consider it endgame because it's the only instanced material that people can run.

Macattk15

As opposed to gear that becomes completely redundant come an expansion.

I'd rather have something to strive towards regardless of what it becomes than just have an option to wake-up and put on different shirt with the same stats for the foreseeable future.

I'm also a proponent of not allowing us to have the majority of our weapon skills available at level 2. I like having a carrot on a stick. Utility skills / Traits aren't enough for me.

I don't hate GW. I enjoy several aspects of it. Don't know why everyone is getting so damn defensive.

kayos90

I'd rather have something to strive towards regardless of what it becomes than just have an option to wake-up and put on different shirt with the same stats for the foreseeable future.

I'm also a proponent of not allowing us to have the majority of our weapon skills available at level 2. I like having a carrot on a stick. Utility skills / Traits aren't enough for me.

I don't hate GW. I enjoy several aspects of it. Don't know why everyone is getting so damn defensive.

That's your preference. It doesn't make the game bad.

Cool.

Awesome. I'm glad you're enjoying the game. It's not about being defensive. It's putting out preferences, labeling the game bad because of it, rather than understanding the design and intent of the game.

Macattk15

That's your preference. It doesn't make the game bad.

Cool.

Awesome. I'm glad you're enjoying the game. It's not about being defensive. It's putting out preferences, labeling the game bad because of it, rather than understanding the design and intent of the game.

I never said the game was bad.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion

And Anet actively avoided making a game with a carrot on a stick. They were very forward about that when the game was first being talked about. They want you to play the game because you enjoy it, not because some goal is driving you.

If you don't enjoy it, stop playing it. Go play something else. Maybe you'll have the interest to jump back in later. Nothing is stopping you from doing just that. There's no sub. There's no reason to keep playing for no other reason than to pass some gear check.

Take a break. That's how you play every other game, isn't it? You play it, and then you stop? Some distance might give you a different perspective, or it might not. Either way, you got some serious time out of the game. Well worth $60, imo.

Ashodin

I don't need you to help me understand why it's different. Why do you think I do? Engineer gives protection randomly by tossing Elixir H around ... 66% chance to not be Protection.

So to make dungeons bearable and not get dominated by normal mobs I just should bring Guardians or play one myself. It's also silly that the "trash" in the dungeons is usually 300% harder than any boss.

Any one of those buffs he can drop on us is amazing. Including Regeneration.

Macattk15

And Anet actively avoided making a game with a carrot on a stick. They were very forward about that when the game was first being talked about. They want you to play the game because you enjoy it, not because some goal is driving you.

If you don't enjoy it, stop playing it. Go play something else. Maybe you'll have the interest to jump back in later. Nothing is stopping you from doing just that. There's no sub. There's no reason to keep playing for no other reason than to pass some gear check.

Take a break. That's how you play every other game, isn't it? You play it, and then you stop?

Nope. I've played DotA 2 / LoL foreverrrrrrrrr without stopping. It's like crack!

Ashodin

Nope. I've played DotA 2 / LoL foreverrrrrrrrr without stopping. It's like crack!

Take a break. That's how you play every other game, isn't it? You play it, and then you stop? Some distance might give you a different perspective, or it might not. Either way, you got some serious time out of the game. Well worth $60, imo.

thetrin has the best way about going about it. This game isn't meant to be played like a regular sub MMO every day all day. It's different in that aspect too.

thetrin

And their longevity is based on PvP...but you don't like GW2's PvP.

I'm sorry you're not getting the longevity out of the game that you hoped for, but perhaps that might change in the future. Try giving WvW another try. If you still don't like it, then you can at least put the game down knowing you tried.

I can't stand Dota. I've tried playing it any number of times, and I have zero fun. I don't think it's a bad game in the least. It's just not a game for me. I want to try it some time in the future when the community is a little more welcoming, but that might never happen. Some time away from the game, though, might give me that push I need to get back into it.

markot

Banned
Except its much easier to design encounters and keep them hard when you don't just roid up gear wise with new tiers every few months. Or once a year going by wow >.>

Ferny

And their longevity is based on PvP...but you don't like GW2's PvP.

Yeah that is so weird to me...

I put in 600 hours into LoL and 500+ in DOTA. The way sPVP is structured it feels that way to me. Every match is different but everyone is pretty much on par with each other. I'm guessing that has a lot to do with why im enjoying PVP so much even if it doesn't contribute to my PVE side much.

Artanisix

The fact of the matter is your dungeons runs will go 100x smoother if you have a properly traited Guardian or banner Warrior in your party, period. They are *the* classes to take to dungeons, because they put out so many boons and buffs that your sustain skyrockets. Also there's not much you can do to lose aggro on a mob, so if say a Ranger Ghost wants to pummel your asshole into oblivion when you're a squishy elementalist, good luck getting away.

The fact of the matter is your dungeons runs will go 100x smoother if you have a properly traited Guardian or banner Warrior in your party, period. They are *the* classes to take to dungeons, because they put out so many boons and buffs that your sustain skyrockets. Also there's not much you can do to lose aggro on a mob, so if say a Ranger Ghost wants to pummel your asshole into oblivion when you're a squishy elementalist, good luck getting away.

Aggro is such a WoW term, open your mind a little bit.

MartyStu

Good. Within reason, that is how it should be.

Stuart444

Also there's not much you can do to lose aggro on a mob, so if say a Ranger Ghost wants to pummel your asshole into oblivion when you're a squishy elementalist, good luck getting away.

Well for eles, there is always Lightening Flash or Mist Form, both of which have proven very good at losing aggro on a mob. There is also whirlwind boost so you can run away while someone else takes over aggro.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom