• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

inky

Dragons are too easy and too few... and no one wants to do Crucible either =(

Oh well, I'll log back in tonight I guess or work on another alt.

TheYanger

"L2P" seems to be the staple in WoW, so it can be used here too. Except, it is a different learning curve and style. Get used to it, it's action based, it's not tank and spank, you have to move at times other than when Deadly Boss Mods tells you to. It's not shit, it's challenging, like how WoW used to be (obviously in a different manner). My advice is then, to stay out of the dungeons if they're not for you. It's the style and approach they took. Can't say I like the gear scaling one bit, but that's besides the point. Eventually, just like how they did in WoW, the casuals will in fact ruin this game as well. They'll get AN to make the most difficult thing to do in the game is logging on at the same time as others.

Except it's NOT action based. Missiles track you, melee hits are unavoidable mostly unless you just randomly dodge and avoid them. YOU TAKE PLENTY of unavoidable damage. The notion that GW is more action based is flawed - you can move while casting, but aside from your one roll every 5-10 seconds you don't actually have any 'action' escapes. Don't patronize me or talk down to me like I'm some kind of idiot and can't think for myself unless a boss mod tells me what to do, it just weakens your argument. I've not heard anything but ambiguous 'learn to play' cries from anyone so far about why dungeon design is actually good. You're right, people are dicks and say 'l2p' in wow all the time, but if you asked me to describe what you need to improve on, I could do it. 'improve your gear' is not compelling gameplay, nor should it be a valid stance in a game with scaled gear (maybe for explorable modes it should since they're 'endgame'...except that AC and CM at least, are not of course). "play better" "You just don't get it" "it's not like wow don't play like wow" doesn't say anything at all. It just tells me that you yourself don't actually have any clue how the dungeons are 'supposed' to be played either.

Won

It's pretty disappointing to be honest. I want huge scary world dragons that are feared and leave a ton of bodies in their wake, not giant loot pinatas. Something like Onyxia (without the cheap deep breath nonsense) or that one emerald dream dragon that could destroy your whole raid if you weren't careful.

Yeah, I sure expected more. More in the direction of the Fire Elemental in Metrica. That thing is a Zerg stomper and usually can take a while to take down because of that.
I'm not even sure if anyone even died at the Shatterer. :/

BrettWeir

Can I ask how much hours you've spent in total?

Not to be a prick about it afterwards, just curious to see how much time it took you to get two chars to 80.

Just checked. Keep in mind I was afk for maybe about 10 of these hours waiting for TP items to be sold. I'd just go back to the PC and move a little to stay logged in. TLDR, to lazy to log back in.

71 hours 38 minutes.

I haven't been using a Hammer just because I don't ever need any breathing room that my Rifle Butt / Bola setup can't provide... plus I haven't found a cool-looking one randomly and I'm too cheap to try the TP.

But I will give this a try as my current Rifle + Sword/Sword combo isn't as exciting as it used to be.
It's because a lot of people feel hammer doesn't have the same level of combo potential that GS does.
I'm using the GS and hammer right now to take a brake from the dual axes. Hammer is great for interrupts.
Hammer does decent damage (better base damage than GS, actually) and provides a lot of survivability, but you don't really need that survival outside of dungeons, and I think most people were turned off by the prohibitively long cooldowns when leveling up the weapon.
Wow, lots of responses!

I think the hammer was made specifically to supplement other weapons. I particularly like the weakness on the 2 attack, which is useful against everything since most NPCs don't crit very often. Knocking everything around, then stunning (HUGE aoe on that), then switching to GS to hundred-blade everything to death is just too much fun.

All the disables are particularly helpful for me as a glass-cannon warrior since I go down pretty quick if I just stand in place and try to HB everything down.

Yay, I got onto the Stormbluff Isle server after it had been full like all day!

Now to mess with character creation for the rest of the night...

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Except it's NOT action based. Missiles track you, melee hits are unavoidable mostly unless you just randomly dodge and avoid them. YOU TAKE PLENTY of unavoidable damage. The notion that GW is more action based is flawed - you can move while casting, but aside from your one roll every 5-10 seconds you don't actually have any 'action' escapes. Don't patronize me or talk down to me like I'm some kind of idiot and can't think for myself unless a boss mod tells me what to do, it just weakens your argument. I've not heard anything but ambiguous 'learn to play' cries from anyone so far about why dungeon design is actually good. You're right, people are dicks and say 'l2p' in wow all the time, but if you asked me to describe what you need to improve on, I could do it. 'improve your gear' is not compelling gameplay, nor should it be a valid stance in a game with scaled gear (maybe for explorable modes it should since they're 'endgame'...except that AC and CM at least, are not of course). "play better" "You just don't get it" "it's not like wow don't play like wow" doesn't say anything at all. It just tells me that you yourself don't actually have any clue how the dungeons are 'supposed' to be played either.

This is what will be my one and only response to you if your tone remains consistent, because frankly I find the attitude you've equipped extremely off-putting. No one is talking down to you. Ashodin provided a very detailed, specific, not-at-all vague explanation of how best to adapt and prepare for dungeons and all of it was good advice.

You appear at face value to be refusing that advice and wondering why things aren't working out when you try to approach playing a dungeon the way you want to.

I can understand being frustrated with the difficulty of AC Story. However, that frustration should not be cause for you to throw your hands up in the air and claim it is hopelessly broken. I no longer even consider AC Story to be difficult at all, let along frustratingly difficult. It does, as Ash was trying to say, take a lot of adjustment to preconceptions about how these thing are supposed to work.

edit: I should note, I still believe it's going to be nerfed, as since it is the first dungeon and it wrecks the average PUG people have valid complaints in that area.

What you just told me, though, with that post, is that you are actually misunderstanding or misinterpreting quite a few things about the game in general. I'll respond to some things specifically:
The notion that GW is more action based is flawed - you can move while casting, but aside from your one roll every 5-10 seconds you don't actually have any 'action' escapes.
This is absolutely, patently and crucially wrong. I can off the top of my head think of six skills I'd describe as "action escapes" and that's between only two classes, one of which I've only played to level 12. And on one of those two classes, my main, the "roll every 5-10 seconds" is a hell of a lot more frequent than that, without even having applied vigor (which coincidentally I can dependably apply to every ally nearby with a recently acquired trait). There are a plethora of ways to avoid damage in this game.

Next:
'improve your gear' is not compelling gameplay, nor should it be a valid stance in a game with scaled gear
I'm not sure who's making that argument, but frankly regardless of whatever gear scaling voodoo is going on, it's NOT the most important factor going into a dungeon. I did AC Story and Explorable with literally all white gear, bought from the merchant in Rata Sum for under 10 silver total. I got upgrades for 3 of the armor pieces in those dungeon runs (along with upgrades for 2 of my 4 weapons).

CM Story I've done naked (broken armor).

Skill, communication, and patience hugely trump anything having to do with gear unless you're massively underequipped for your level.
"play better" "You just don't get it" "it's not like wow don't play like wow" doesn't say anything at all. It just tells me that you yourself don't actually have any clue how the dungeons are 'supposed' to be played either.
Accepting your premise for the purposes of discussion- I don't see how you could be certain you have a clue how they're supposed to be played either.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Has anyone noticed anything with the new nvidia drivers? Always skeptical with downloading new ones

I know when I switched to the 306 beta drivers, I crashed 10 times in 2 hours after having 1 crash in a week. I switched back to 304 beta drivers and no longer experienced the repeated crashing. My card is a 670GTX.

I'm about to install the 306 release drivers, I'll post if my crashing comes back.

Stuart444

So I'm in my first WvW eternal battlegrounds fight (as in, big fight for some place) against loads of Stormbluff and Eredon people.

Apart from having a long run back each time I die, it's pretty fun. I just need another 25 for my monthly achievement as well :)

TheYanger

This is what will be my one and only response to you if your tone remains consistent, because frankly I find the attitude you've equipped extremely off-putting. No one is talking down to you. Ashodin provided a very detailed, specific, not-at-all vague explanation of how best to adapt and prepare for dungeons and all of it was good advice.
You read what I responded to and pick out ANYTHING helpful. I'll be waiting
You appear at face value to be refusing that advice and wondering why things aren't working out when you try to approach playing a dungeon the way you want to.

I can understand being frustrated with the difficulty of AC Story. However, that frustration should not be cause for you to throw your hands up in the air and claim it is hopelessly broken. I no longer even consider AC Story to be difficult at all, let along frustratingly difficult. It does, as Ash was trying to say, take a lot of adjustment to preconceptions about how these thing are supposed to work.

edit: I should note, I still believe it's going to be nerfed, as since it is the first dungeon and it wrecks the average PUG people have valid complaints in that area.

What you just told me, though, with that post, is that you are actually misunderstanding or misinterpreting quite a few things about the game in general. I'll respond to some things specifically:
This is absolutely, patently and crucially wrong. I can off the top of my head think of six skills I'd describe as "action escapes" and that's between only two classes, one of which I've only played to level 12. And on one of those two classes, my main, the "roll every 5-10 seconds" is a hell of a lot more frequent than that, without even having applied vigor (which coincidentally I can dependably apply to every ally nearby with a recently acquired trait). There are a plethora of ways to avoid damage in this game.
You've done the exact same thing - I'd love to hear this explanation, you're SAYING there are lots of ways, but have done nothing to assert what they are.
Next:

I'm not sure who's making that argument, but frankly regardless of whatever gear scaling voodoo is going on, it's NOT the most important factor going into a dungeon. I did AC Story and Explorable with literally all white gear, bought from the merchant in Rata Sum for under 10 silver total. I got upgrades for 3 of the armor pieces in those dungeon runs (along with upgrades for 2 of my 4 weapons).

CM Story I've done naked (broken armor).

Skill, communication, and patience hugely trump anything having to do with gear unless you're massively underequipped for your level.

Accepting your premise for the purposes of discussion- I don't see how you could be certain you have a clue how they're supposed to be played either.
You're still just saying "Oh it's just skill' without having any explanation. My 'tone' is one of utter frustration with the dungeons in this game, the same tone LOTS of people seem to have. Check in game, check the forums. Except for the fervent fanboys everyone seems to hate these dungeons because they only reward zerging or specific builds.
You're right, apparantly I don't have the clue how they're 'supposed' to be played, because the game makes no efforts to give you any idea beyond 'use blind' 'use protection' 'dodge what you can' ...The vast majority of attacks on trash and the 'bad' bosses of each dungeon you have no prayer of avoiding with any consistency, that makes it not action-based at all. The bosses that ARE action based, you can avoid everything and tend to be considered easy. Those bosses COULD be made hard. But they're not, they're forgiving.

The jumping puzzles reward 'action' skill. A boss with blazing nukes that home in and do half your life every 3 seconds doesn't reward anything but a sadistic developer.

Ferrio

Banned
So I'm in my first WvW eternal battlegrounds fight (as in, big fight for some place) against loads of Stormbluff and Eredon people.

Apart from having a long run back each time I die, it's pretty fun. I just need another 25 for my monthly achievement as well :)

One good way to make sure you don't have to run back often is to really focus on defensive skills and traits. Stuff that gives you more run speed, or removes conditions, stealth... whatever.

Along with skills that help everyone is much better than anything that gives you straight up damage. Anything that displaces enemies, helps others recover faster, etc are much more viable. Probably my most deadly move in WvW that does little to no damage is Scorpian Wire. One hit means I've just dragged someone into a mob of people to be picked apart.

Artanisix

Dungeons in GW2 are most definitely tank and spank with a little bit of "get out of the red circle!!" thrown in. If you're not doing the tank and spank route, you're probably not running dungeons optimally. Bring a support traited Guardian, bring a banner Warrior, bring a shout Warrior, and bam, dungeons are trivially easy. These three professions together are the ultimate dungeon-runner combo. We don't even dodge half of the moves you're supposed to dodge, we just sit in front of everything and kill it. The only time we run into problems are when boss mechanics are tuned unreasonably, like the robot boss in CoF explorable.

Except it's NOT action based. Missiles track you, melee hits are unavoidable mostly unless you just randomly dodge and avoid them. YOU TAKE PLENTY of unavoidable damage.

100% agree with you. That's why that specific combination of professions I listed is so powerful -- in this game, the easiest ways to beat dungeons is to simply outlive the incoming damage. Incoming unavoidable damage. With almost no aggro table to speak of, it's easier for our tanky Warriors and Guardians to just run in first and heal all the damage while DPSers go crazy. The DPSers never have to worry about taking aggro. The only thing they worry about is rolling out of certain key boss spells and rolling out of red circles. That's it.

WoW's dungeons and encounters were 100x more interesting and "action packed" than these, honestly. I like GW2, but dungeons are definitely not their strong point.

Ricker

New Nvidia drivers released today: 306.23

Let's hope they work better then the last beta drivers for me...with my 560ti,I had a weird glitch where when I looked up or down,I would see through mountains let's say at what was behind said mountains...I had to revert back to the previous beta drivers.

TheYanger

Dungeons in GW2 are most definitely tank and spank with a little bit of "get out of the red circle!!" thrown in. If you're not doing the tank and spank route, you're probably not running dungeons optimally. Bring a support traited Guardian, bring a banner Warrior, bring a shout Warrior, and bam, dungeons are trivially easy. These three professions together are the ultimate dungeon-runner combo. We don't even dodge half of the moves you're supposed to dodge, we just sit in front of everything and kill it. The only time we run into problems are when boss mechanics are tuned unreasonably, like the robot boss in CoF explorable.

100% agree with you. That's why that specific combination of professions I listed is so powerful -- in this game, the easiest ways to beat dungeons is to simply outlive the incoming damage. Incoming unavoidable damage. With almost no aggro table to speak of, it's easier for our tanky Warriors and Guardians to just run in first and heal all the damage while DPSers go crazy. The DPSers never have to worry about taking aggro. The only thing they worry about is rolling out of certain key boss spells and rolling out of red circles. That's it.

WoW's dungeons and encounters were 100x more interesting and "action packed" than these, honestly. I like GW2, but dungeons are definitely not their strong point.

Thank you, exactly. People need to not take it personally. The posts are not ATTACKING guild wars, your beloved game. We own the game, I've put in 170 hours already, I LOVE Guild Wars, but I love the strong parts (WvW, exploration/jumping). Criticising the weak points does not have to offend you.

Every time someone new comes in and posts about AC, it tends to be in frustration. At some point you have to accept that MAYBE it's just badly designed, MAYBE it really is flawed in some way. Arenanet certainly has to see it that way - if a large section of the playerbase is actively turned off, it probably means it needs some work.

I would like to take a moment to point out my amusement at the fact that any given GW2 article on Massively seems to garner hundreds upon hundreds of comments, where no other game does.

Varna

Let's hope they work better then the last beta drivers for me...with my 560ti,I had a weird glitch where when I looked up or down,I would see through mountains let's say at what was behind said mountains...I had to revert back to the previous beta drivers.

These are basically the same thing. No performance improvements, no increased SLI usage on my 690GTX and I'm still getting some of the texture glitches that only happen with SLI enabled.

Turn off Ambient Occlusion in the control panel. Known issue.

The Rizza

I have that same exact glitch. I'm hoping the new ones clear that up.

markot

Banned
Wows dungeons and encounters are 100% tank and spank, aoe like mental, from lvl 1 - cap its alllllll just a mindless mess. Then at cap, its a slightly touger mindless mess for a week till you over lvl all teh content by so much you can go back to the leveling mindlessness.

Artanisix

Wows dungeons and encounters are 100% tank and spank, aoe like mental, from lvl 1 - cap its alllllll just a mindless mess. Then at cap, its a slightly touger mindless mess for a week till you over lvl all teh content by so much you can go back to the leveling mindlessness.

Not... really?

Won

Got my hands on a flamethrower with my Asuras character. Felt so much more cooler than with my Charr. I think I'm gonna reroll after all, even if it hurts. Screw Charrs! :(

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Not... really?

The trinity pretty much ensures tank and spank mechanics. I'm not saying there's no tank and spank in GW2, but it does have the potential to be a lot more varied with its boss fights because it doesn't have to adhere to it.

markot

Banned
Got my hands on a flamethrower with my Asuras character. Felt so much more cooler than with my Charr. I think I'm gonna reroll after all, even if it hurts. Screw Charrs! :(

Everything is better with Asura, so its very hard to make non Asura alts because its always better with Asura.

Ferrio

Banned
lol? Lvl up a toon and do dungeons, if you have to think more then once you are doing it wrong. They are straight up zergs. Same with, well, all of them. There is no thought, its sleep mode.

Can we keep this shit outta this thread please? A pissing match between these games isn't really needed, especially with all the hyperboles thrown around.

Shrennin

Everything is better with Asura, so its very hard to make non Asura alts because its always better with Asura.

The only thing better than Asura are Quaggan, but we can't be Quaggan. :(

Quaggan still loves us though!

Well, made a character. That's about all I can do on this computer, since I'm getting a buttery smooth 8 FPS. Haha, man I can't wait until my new laptop comes in...

Shrennin

I'd love to be a skritt.

Hylek was really the first race that I really was interested in with GW2 but the art book from the collector's edition essentially confirms that they'll never be playable (the Hylek was a race that proved how different they could go when they didn't think of it being a playable race).

markot

Banned
Can we keep this shit outta this thread please? A pissing match between these games isn't really needed, especially with all the hyperboles thrown around.

Was responding to "WoW's dungeons and encounters were 100x more interesting and "action packed" than these, honestly. "

Shrennin

Kodan > Tengu > Skritt > Hylek > Quaggan > Asura

So..pretty much...the Asura are the best playable race going by your list?

Until Tengu become playable, that is.

Got some Skritt transformation potions today. No jumpand and dodge animation on them. :(

Do we know why ANet didn't put that in? Seems kinda strange design wise.

Shrennin

Anyone know the name of the race of the person that does a favor for Trahearne? She's the only one I've seen in game.

I'm not sure if I'm there yet but could it be a dwarf? I know there's at least one that's still kickin'.

inky

So..pretty much...the Asura are the best playable race going by your list?

Asura are playable? In my version of the game they are these little assholes who keep kidnapping and experimenting on everyone else. I just like to kill them over and over.

Shrennin

It's definitely not a dwarf.

Then, yeah, I'm not there yet haha

I would like to see the dwarf who is apparently alive in the Priory. I still have yet to see him! :/

Asura are playable? In my version of the game they are these little assholes who keep kidnapping and experimenting on everyone else. I just like to kill them over and over.

You monster!

Torraz

Thank you, exactly. People need to not take it personally. The posts are not ATTACKING guild wars, your beloved game. We own the game, I've put in 170 hours already, I LOVE Guild Wars, but I love the strong parts (WvW, exploration/jumping). Criticising the weak points does not have to offend you.

Every time someone new comes in and posts about AC, it tends to be in frustration. At some point you have to accept that MAYBE it's just badly designed, MAYBE it really is flawed in some way. Arenanet certainly has to see it that way - if a large section of the playerbase is actively turned off, it probably means it needs some work.

What happens is that fanboys (unconsciously or consciously) connect their own feelings of identity and self-worth to that of a specific game, company, product etc. So when you "attack" or "criticize" this entity, you automatically attack them as well. Thus, they will feel threatened themselves and will consequently lash out at you.

Heck, I mirror your sentiments. I just got my first 80 today and I loved many, if not most, aspects of the game. I'm already at a loss as to which other class I want to play, it was that fun! The one thing I'm upset at is the balancing, mostly in dungeons...

They really need to work on the auto attack wonkiness (ctrl + right click on a skill to auto attack). When attacking with the #1 skill for my rifle, just a plain attack, and putting it on automatic it's just so damn flaky, it'll stop at odd times and it's way too random to put to use in a big zerg since it's hard to tell what's going on anyway. Just really annoying and I don't usually bitch about shit, it's a major part of the combat for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom