• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kimaka

Good run of AC, br0ken_shad0w, Piecake, hockeypuck and Kimaka!

Died twice to the lovers, and once to Adelbern, best I've done so far. You guys have great rezzing instincts!

I also got WAY more XP than usual for completing this. Does anyone know if they boosted it, or if how much XP you get is variable depending on certain factors?

That was not as painful as I thought it would be. I expected it to have me pulling my hair out but it was pretty smooth. I had a lot of fun running AC Story with all of you.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
That was not as painful as I thought it would be. I expected it to have me pulling my hair out but it was pretty smooth. I had a lot of fun running AC Story with all of you.
You're a junior? Come on, forum code, fix that right up. She's a class act.

Cystm

Stormbluff Isle is full. GAF is on Stormbluff Isle. I get to select only one server or have to pay to transfer later?

TORGAF already let me know what's up.

wxz4U.jpg

Move along, move along.

Jack_AG

Banned
I'm pretty sure the bolded claims are untrue. You can outrun missiles. Missiles in fact fly along a path to you, but only certain magical ones curve. (I believe.) They also obey flightpath rules where objects and players can intercept them on their path. As for melee hits, you can simply step out of a melee hit radius and not be hit. There are also multiple escape skills in the game. As a Mesmer, I have Swap, Feigned Escape and Blink.

So for example, if a Ranger fires an arrow at me and I use Feigned Escape, the arrow will hit my clone. Not because the clone becomes the arrows target, but because the clone stands where I stood when the arrow was shot and thus absorbs the hit.
Nope. They track you unless you roll. It would be absolutely stupid to just be able to walk away from a ranged attack.

Also a roll every so often is true unless you use skills/traits which recharge endurance. There is no infinite dodging.

As for melee - its a hit unless a) it is dodged b) out of range or c) blocked.

There is no RNG dictating a "miss" - just glancing blows.

Edit: I'm leaving GAFguild to make space for new members. I will find a smaller, more focused guild.

Ken

edit: Wouldn't that get you the monthly XP achievement in one dungeon run?

I don't know what that is but I basically leveled from 79 to 80 in 2 CM story runs. A nice way of getting XP if no zergs are going on in Orr.

Anyways, thought about rolling a ranger buuuut I will gear up my warrior first.

kn1ves24

I dunno AC was brutal for me. I'm only level like 33-34 but the lovers are just too much. Both times I've gone through we pretty much got steam rolled there. That fight alone just drags on. All the others aren't too bad but that one ugh, maybe i'm just too noob for it yet.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
September 14th patch notes are up:
General

The Mistfire Wolf skill will now properly unlock for existing characters on an account after upgrading to Digital Deluxe.
Fixed blocked events and skill challenges.
Fixed bugs that allowed players to go around map edges.
A number of items created by using Mystic Coins are now correctly set to level 80.

Story

Fixed a blocking bug in story chapter “Brute Force.”
Fixed a blocking bug in story chapter “Research and Destroy.”
Fixed bugs in story chapters “Forging the Pact,” “Battle of Fort Trinity," "The Ghost Rite,” “On Red Alert,” and “Tower Down.”

World-versus-World

Score interval increased from 5 minutes to 15 minutes.
Stonemist Castle points reduced to 35 points from 50.
Bonus thresholds reduced by half to prepare for one-week matches.
Castle lord, bodyguards, and capture point for Stonemist Castle moved to the first floor.
“Harpy Feathers” consumable effect disabled.
Bridges fixed to make passable for NPCs.

Professions

Ranger

More fixes to pet commands and AI.

Elementalist

Signet of Air: No longer has infinite range.
Whirlpool: Now works underwater in PvE.
Glyph of Renewal: Resurrection effects of Earth, Fire, and Water now surround the caster, not the target.

Mesmer

Deception: Movement now allowed after casting underwater.
Spatial Surge: Improved responsiveness.
Mind Stab: Improved responsiveness.

Warrior

Made several more skills usable while moving: Brutal Banner, Compassionate Banner, and Furious Rally.
Rush: Improved the ability to hit fleeing foes.

Guardian

Mighty Blow: Added a slight movement distance.
Bow of Truth: Now usable while moving.
Defender’s Shield and Honorable Shield: Merged together into the same trait.
New trait Glacial Heart: Critical hits with a hammer have a 50% chance to chill your target for 4 seconds. This effect can only occur once every 45 seconds.

Thief

Heartseeker: Reduced damage of the 100%-50% threshold by 20%. Damage thresholds changed. Old: 100%-66%, 66%-33%, 33%-0%. New: 100%-50%, 50%-25%, 25%-0%.

Engineer

Disabled the “stowing” auto-attack to prevent players from getting stuck holding these kits: Bomb Kit, Elixir Gun, Flamethrower, Grenade Kit, Med Kit, and Tool Kit.
Yay for working Whirlpool. Btw., have the bags of loot for the lv 80 personal story quest been fixed?

etiolate

Banned
Nope. They track you unless you roll. It would be absolutely stupid to just be able to walk away from a ranged attack.

Also a roll every so often is true unless you use skills/traits which recharge endurance. There is no infinite dodging.

As for melee - its a hit unless a) it is dodged b) out of range or c) blocked.

There is no RNG dictating a "miss" - just glancing blows.

Edit: I'm leaving GAFguild to make space for new members. I will find a smaller, more focused guild.

I level mostly as melee on my Mesmer, and I manage to survive and avoid hits with a lot more than just dodge. It has a lot to do with skills, range and movement for me. Maybe it's just my clones, but I find defense/survival to be highly active.

Stuart444

I can't seem to find out much information on it but how is Citadel of Flame Story mode? Difficultly wise/boss wise?

After going through the previous dungeons, I feel like I can handle anything the dungeons throw at me but I bet thinking that will come back to bite me in one of the final 4 dungeons (CoF, CoE, HotW or Arah >_> )

etiolate

Banned
Just tested some of the Mesmer changes. Mind Stab looks to have a different animation. I know it used to be a straight downstab animation. It's more a forward stab now with a bit more oomph. It doesn't really help the entire problem with the skill since it still locks you in animation and the AOE circle is still on the small side.

Spatial Surge seems exactly the same.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I can't seem to find out much information on it but how is Citadel of Flame Story mode? Difficultly wise/boss wise?

After going through the previous dungeons, I feel like I can handle anything the dungeons throw at me but I bet thinking that will come back to bite me in one of the final 4 dungeons (CoF, CoE, HotW or Arah >_> )
One of the bosses is REALLY REALLY annoying, but once you learn how to dodge his attacks, it's ok. There's one more that can be problematic, but a bit of caution is enough.
We didn't have much problem aside from the first guy I've mentioned.

leng jai

Just tested some of the Mesmer changes. Mind Stab looks to have a different animation. I know it used to be a straight downstab animation. It's more a forward stab now with a bit more oomph. It doesn't really help the entire problem with the skill since it still locks you in animation and the AOE circle is still on the small side.

From my experience with the greatsword Mind Stab was borderline useless. The fact you have to aim it with that tiny reticule AND stay still while casting makes it worthless IMO.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
From my experience with the greatsword Mind Stab was borderline useless. The fact you have to aim it with that tiny reticule AND stay still while casting makes it worthless IMO.
True, it's almost a nothing skill. If it ripped all boons rather than just one it'd be worth the tradeoff.

Same here. By the way, anyone know if Battle Standard (one of the elite skills for warrior) revives someone after you activate it or does the person have to be down first and activating it is what revives them?

I dunno AC was brutal for me. I'm only level like 33-34 but the lovers are just too much. Both times I've gone through we pretty much got steam rolled there. That fight alone just drags on. All the others aren't too bad but that one ugh, maybe i'm just too noob for it yet.

Yeah it was annoying for us as well. Though I was the lowest in our party at lvl 44 with the second lowest at 57 so that might have helped us a bit.

September 14th patch notes are up:

I see nothing for Necromancer despite its current terrible state.

nataku

I don't think the patch has actually gone up yet. The wiki says tonight, which I'm guessing is their usual 12PST time.

EDIT:

God, this game is a breath of fresh air. I've only popped in for a total of 5-6 hours the past week and a half, and I don't care. The lack of monthly fee has taken all the pressure out of it.

Edit: These patches are cool and all, but I wonder if they're ever going to fix the Rangers opening strike skill not working with Swoop.

etiolate

Banned
I don't think the patch has actually gone up yet. The wiki says tonight, which I'm guessing is their usual 12PST time.

EDIT:

Ah, so I just hadn't noticed the change to Mind Stab animation until now. That's hilarious. Shows how little I like using the skill.

Violet_0

Banned
it's good to be Asura

rolled a (new and improved) ranger, my third Asura character. Going to level her up fast with all the crafting material I gathered.

There's another one of those you meet during a DE in Maelstrom I think.

yes, and a DE in Brisbane Wilds that restarts like every 2 minutes. And one in Snowden Drifts.

my best races ranking: Skritt = Quagan = Kodan = Asura > Charr > rest

I think my favorite heart was on the Kodan ice ship in the last snow zone where you have to prove your wisdom by answering riddles. We need much more of those in the expansions.

"Life is a trial - Koda the judge, and Kodan the jury."

e: oh hey they fixed On Red Alert

What settings does everyone play the game at? And does anyone know which ones effect the game the most? I have everything at max and it seems to run smooth 95% of the time, unless i am in a very crowded area etc.

leng jai

Level 52 and the personal story isn't getting any better. Basically loot and XP is the only reason I am suffering through them at the moment.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
2) If you don't use your Ctrl key to see how to stop traps you're gonna have a bad time.

How's that function called in case you use Ctrl for something else?

I think my favorite heart was on the Kodan ice ship in the last snow zone where you have to prove your wisdom by answering riddles. We need much more of those in the expansions.

There's one of those in the Norn starting area, too.

Violet_0

Banned
There's one of those in the Norn starting area, too.

yeah, the one with the ravens. I also quite enjoyed some of the math puzzles. They were all a bit on the easy side, though.

*except the puzzle in the underwater lab in Bloodtide Coast, it was driving me mad. I still don't fully understand how that was supposed to work.

Piecake

Holy bejesus.

edit: Wouldn't that get you the monthly XP achievement in one dungeon run?

I got the monthly exp achieve by just killing the end boss in our AC run (I definitely died a few times during that fight). Was a fun run. Definitely not as painful as i thought i would be. Really wasnt bad at all besides the lovers fight

And finally hit 80! WOOO

Nice not wearing level 65 gear anymore (im REALLY cheap - and its definitely a challenge when things can destory you in a few hits and it takes a while to kill things)

Decked out in all masterwork. really didnt want to spend the gold to upgrade to Rare yet. Kinda want to craft the stuff, or hopefully just find it. I have to say, Im looking pretty spiffy, though sadly I had to ditch my awesome engineer monocle. Dont really want to waste a 80 transmute stone on a masterwork, so ill just keep it in my bank

i know ill be rocking the monocle forever. shits just too awesome

TheYanger

yeah, the one with the raves. I also quite enjoyed some of the math puzzles. They were all a bit on the easy side, though.

*except the puzzle in the underwater lab in Bloodtide Coast, it was driving me mad. I still don't fully understand how that was supposed to work.

It's kind of like the grid of lights that turn adjascent ones on or off that you see in many games. Basically three roulette wheels, and raising or lowering the 3 interactive objects cycles them - - +, + + -, + + +, - - -, + - -, - + +
So you've gotta get the numbers correct like that. The interface for it is obtuse since it's just in game clicking chat boxes, therefore the ACTUAL logic involved once you figure out how it works is very easy.

Jobacca

Neo Member
I need help with my engineer. I just came across the grenade kit, and realize there is a flamethrower, healing, and bomb kit. How in the heck do I decide which to use?! Plus my turrets!?!?!!?

I got the monthly exp achieve by just killing the end boss in our AC run (I definitely died a few times during that fight). Was a fun run. Definitely not as painful as i thought i would be. Really wasnt bad at all besides the lovers fight
I think I messed up our boulder order up in that fight and then things FUBARed, lol. Hawkian goes through all that trouble setting up the order and the first 10 seconds of the fight I'm thinking, did Kimaka throw hers yet? Crap, I can't tell! I better throw mi-, then I got killed.

Piecake

I think I messed up our boulder order up in that fight and then things FUBARed, lol. Hawkian goes through all that trouble setting up the order and the first 10 seconds of the fight I'm thinking, did Kimaka throw hers yet? Crap, I can't tell! I better throw mi-, then I got killed.

Oh, that was just a shit fest. I basically died immediately screwing up the order right there, lol. After that, I just started heaving any boulder I could find at the chick

I need help with my engineer. I just came across the grenade kit, and realize there is a flamethrower, healing, and bomb kit. How in the heck do I decide which to use?! Plus my turrets!?!?!!?

I use a rifle, grenades, FT, and Elixir B

Grenades is pure damage and tons of AoE damage with some nice control and a useful poison field. Best kit we have

FT I use mostly for control. I like the pushback, blind, and the field can be useful as well. 1 and 2 abilities kinda suck i think. The FT toolkit ability is pretty sweet as well. Nice damage boost

I use rifle mostly for control on fights i want to avoid melee range. If not, ill use it for damage - mostly playing of my grenades or other people's fields - jump shot for the leap and the rest for projectiles

Elixir B is simply a nice Buff

Grenades are better than bombs because you can chuck em and they arent on a timer. I think turrets kinda suck since they die real easily and are kinda boring.

Jobacca

Neo Member
Oh, that was just a shit fest. I basically died immediately screwing up the order right there, lol. After that, I just started heaving any boulder I could find at the chick

I use a rifle, grenades, FT, and Elixir B

Grenades is pure damage and tons of AoE damage with some nice control and a useful poison field. Best kit we have

FT I use mostly for control. I like the pushback, blind, and the field can be useful as well. 1 and 2 abilities kinda suck i think. The FT toolkit ability is pretty sweet as well. Nice damage boost

I use rifle mostly for control on fights i want to avoid melee range. If not, ill use it for damage - mostly playing of my grenades or other people's fields - jump shot for the leap and the rest for projectiles

Elixir B is simply a nice Buff

Thanks for the tips.

I loved my Druid in WoW, being able to be a tank if need be, or dps or heals. Engineer seems the same way to me, which I love. Just seems like I have so many useful abilities to use lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom