• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Violet_0

Banned
Looks Awesome.

Thanks! I love the look of your character as well, I should probably start using my vast collection of crafting material (I mostly saved them to quickly level up my third character).

Getting a bit annoyed at my Engineer's dps and my playstyle with him. I have been going dual pistols but I recently picked up a rifle that was a good dps increase so I switched to that, but I really, really dislike the rifle's control-focused skills so I'm thinking of swapping back to pistols. With my current playstyle (pistols + elixirs) I feel like I'm only using my 5 skills and just using elixirs whenever they're up, but it still feels like the most efficient way of levelling, compared to turrets or grenades.

Is there a better way of going about things? Or is Engineer maybe just not for me?

I played pistol + shield for the longest time and just recently switched to dual pistols, mainly just because shields didn't match my current armor. Dual pistols are so much better! For pistols, you pretty much need the bullet piercing grandmaster major trade in the crit tree. I run a condition damage setup with some power to get the most out of my weapon skills, but my equipment is far from being perfectly optimized yet.

And I wouldn't diss turrets just yet - the Rocket Turret for example does very decent damage and can easily tank and kill non-elite mobs on it's own, and the knockback ability is great against bosses. In dungeons, I run Elixir S (mandatory, imo), Rocket Turret and the condition-removing Elixir for utility and supply drop as my elite skill.

Gowans

Actually runs well for me. Mind you, it ran 20-40fps on everything low (except shaders) on bootcamp, it is about the same with the mac version for me. Maybe less, but not terrible. I haven't had a chance to play in wvw with the mac client, but it was playable in bootcamp.

I will take the ability to play when I want without rebooting over having to have a full partition (on my 120gb ssd) for an os I only use sparingly.

Runs way worse than bootcamp for me.

Wunder

Thanks for all the great Engy advice guys, will try to stick with rifle and keep truckin'. Could someone explain to me how you would use the Medkit efficiently? Just swap out and quickly dump the health packs and then back into rifle/grenade?

Also, new OT soon!

Dunlop

These last levels are fuckng painful. Think I am 76 now, the end zones are so bugged.

I'm still c@ckblocked at 165 on my cooking skill (all recipes except 2 dyes are grey, can't sem to find any new discoveries) so leveling via crafting is out.

Gonna try my personal story and hope it can get me through the last 4 levels

I HIT LEVEL 80. I went up four quick levels via crafting, and managed to afford the grandmaster trait book.

So... what now?

Do whatever you want that you enjoy. There technically is no end game content outside of gear grinds on events or dungeon runs. PVP/WvWvW are a highlight usually for GW games. Finish your personal story if you haven't done so, get the gear looks you want or try to get better gear?

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
These last levels are fuckng painful. Think I am 76 now, the end zones are so bugged.

I'm still c@ckblocked at 165 on my cooking skill (all recipes except 2 dyes are grey, can't sem to find any new discoveries) so leveling via crafting is out.

I really wish that lower level events gave the same amount of experience as the ones in 70-80 zones. I'd much rather tackle the charr areas I missed than do this high level zone stuff right now.

KingKong

It's super easy to level just by running around Orr and doing the personal quest. I went from 76 3/4th to 80 in about 2.5 hours.

Just discover new locations and POIs and do the Skill Challenges, each Skill Challenge in Orr is 10k experience

Frostgorge is a pain in the ass though, super boring zone with no other players around

Arcteryx

It's super easy to level just by running around Orr and doing the personal quest. I went from 76 3/4th to 80 in about 2.5 hours.

Just discover new locations and POIs and do the Skill Challenges, each Skill Challenge in Orr is 10k experience

Frostgorge is a pain in the ass though, super boring zone with no other players around

Yea doing the karma farm will net you xp REALLY quick. I too went from 76-80 in about 2-3hrs in Orr; throw in your p-quest and it will go even quicker.

Make sure you 100% the Orr zones as well for the mega bucks.

Wunder

So I hit 60 and respecced to the rifle/grenade build. Seems pretty cool so far but I am missing my crits a little since I went Explosives/Tools first and will cap my last 20 points into Firearms. Getting fairly annoyed with how many bugged DEs there are as I was levelling the last few bars from 59-60. Hearts really give pitiful XP and while the concept of focusing on DEs and following an organic story through are awesome and I've experienced some great moments where I felt the world was alive, it really breaks down the flaws of a system when you hit a few bugged DEs in a row and end up missing a good level or two of XP from a zone and have to struggle through 100% it.

Dunlop

I just hate how DE's are attached to dailies. It has always seemed to be bugged for me where some event's don't count towards it.

Chasing around DE's like a lawyer to a ambulance only to have it completed by the time you get there is not so fun

Manik

Wish I could join in the fun :( Bought the game 2 weeks ago and, as of this minute, have managed to play 30 seconds in total.

No idea why but every time the world loads up, and occasionally in the character creator, my display will turn itself off (as if the signal has been lost), the music will continue to play in the background, and there's no way to get out of it except for a hard reset.

I've had a look around various forums and tried every trick they can think of (underclock GPU, reseat RAM, clean dust out of PC, various registry tweaks, disable a GPU on my GTX295) and nothing at all works. It's incredibly frustrating.

Has anyone else experienced a similar issue, or know of a workaround. No other game causes my system to blackscreen like this one does and I'm this close to trying for a refund and just giving up on the thing.

It looks like so much fun too. :(

Sarcasm

Wish I could join in the fun :( Bought the game 2 weeks ago and, as of this minute, have managed to play 30 seconds in total.

No idea why but every time the world loads up, and occasionally in the character creator, my display will turn itself off (as if the signal has been lost), the music will continue to play in the background, and there's no way to get out of it except for a hard reset.

I've had a look around various forums and tried every trick they can think of (underclock GPU, reseat RAM, clean dust out of PC, various registry tweaks, disable a GPU on my GTX295) and nothing at all works. It's incredibly frustrating.

Has anyone else experienced a similar issue, or know of a workaround. No other game causes my system to blackscreen like this one does and I'm this close to trying for a refund and just giving up on the thing.

Specs? Settings? Try window mode.

TheYanger

auto cast heal sounds awful :O
on that topic... auto cast abilities targeting mobs for funsies while you run past then is irritating as shit, but playing without it also sucks. why it would auto cast upon acquiring target when targeting happens randomly is beyond me

Wunder

Yeah, how does that work? Do you auto-cast it if you get damaged slightly? Or is it smart enough to cast when you have only been damaged X where X is your heal amount? Unless your heal is a regen-based heal, then what!

Kingbrave

I've been thinking of having "For great justice" and "Battle Frenzy" autocast whenever they are up but fuck it, it only takes a second to cast them...

Violet_0

Banned
uh, I'd just have your main attack be auto-cast and leave it at that. Auto-cast healing sounds rather dangerous - there's a good chance your heal is on cd when you really need it, if it works like I think it does

Teknoman

I'm most likely going to be taking a few days to a week off this game to play Torchlight 2 with my friend who wasn't interested in Guild Wars 2. Poor dude hasn't had anybody to game with for weeks!

So, uh... Don't kick me from the guild, bro.

Yea Borderlands and Torchlight will lower my time in GW2 as well. Don't kick please :p (Adriane ingame).

Same way for me aside from getting sick and then now currently wrapped up in Borderlands 2 among other things. Im still in for the long run.

Deitus

Yeah, how does that work? Do you auto-cast it if you get damaged slightly? Or is it smart enough to cast when you have only been damaged X where X is your heal amount? Unless your heal is a regen-based heal, then what!

It's definitely not smart. Autocast is autocast, and it works the same for heals as it does for your 1 skill. It will use the skill as soon as it comes off cooldown, provided you are in combat.

Personally I couldn't do this. First of all, its pretty much going to cast heal at the start of every fight (i.e. when you haven't taken any damage yet), so its only use at that point is if it provides a boon. Secondly, it has a short, but not insubstantial casting animation, and if you interrupt it, it has a brief cooldown. I really would not like this to activate when I'm about to dodge a big attack, and then have to wait another 3-4 seconds before I can use it. On top of that, I play Elementalist, and my heal gives me a boon based on attunement, so I really need to pay attention to when I heal.

But hey, maybe it makes sense for some players/classes. I don't really know.

Rarutos

From what I understand, every piece of level 80 exotic armor you can find from crafting can also be found from a dungeon vendor. So if you saw a crafted piece with x allocation of stats, you would be able to find an armor piece with the same x allocation of stats from a dungeon vendor. The only differences between crafted, and dungeon is that they have different runes in them and different appearances.
Late reply (because I fell asleep) but thank you for clarifying, Ken!

Kingbrave

I've read about everyone being kicked from the guild...please don't kick me! Unless you really need the room then I can wonder around with the silence and horrible map chat :(...

Edit: I can't login...

I've read about everyone being kicked from the guild...please don't kick me! Unless you really need the room then I can wonder around with the silence and horrible map chat :(...

Edit: I can't login...
There's always the overflow. :p

Seriously, though, if you got kicked then you can always just PM an officer.

Mindman

Make sure you're not forcing AA or any other settings in your video card control panel.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
There's always the overflow. :p

Seriously, though, if you got kicked then you can always just PM an officer.

Were people who were kicked out also given an invite into overflow or are they expected to ask for an invite?

I feel that the latter, requiring them to send another tell to an officer, would lead to frustration / isolation that would lead to them abandoning the guild.

Were people who were kicked out also given an invite into overflow or are they expected to ask for an invite?

I feel that the latter, requiring them to send another tell to an officer, would lead to frustration / isolation that would lead to them abandoning the guild.
Not sure on it as I'm not entirely privy to what the management is doing, though I suspect that some (possibly many) didn't get an overflow invite judging by some responses.

Arcteryx

lol

Decide to level some crafting(cooking), use a potion to boost...now TP isn't working and I can't log back into the game. gg on wasting my potion ANet.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
So uhh..anyone else unable to play? I get to character select and the play button is grayed out for all my characters.

I HIT LEVEL 80. I went up four quick levels via crafting, and managed to afford the grandmaster trait book.

So... what now?

Obviously you bitch on forums about how there is nothing to do at lvl 80.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom