• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

inky

wut. Aren't Mystic Weapons cheap on TP?

Last I checked mystic greatsword was 5+ gold, which doesn't sound too bad, but I've bought like 4.4k gems and have been leveling crafts on my alts, so I don't have that much spare gold. Definitely could afford it, but I wanted to craft it myself.

Like I said, I was counting on crafting it with my spare mats, but I lost them. I'm not too worried about using my SPs though, I have 85 still, and if I go for a legendary I'm sure I'll pick the rest along the way.

Ken

Last I checked mystic greatsword was 5+ gold, which doesn't sound too bad, but I've bought like 4.4k gems and have been leveling crafts on my alts, so I don't have that much spare gold.

Like I said, I was counting on crafting it with my spare mats, but I lost them. I'm not too worried about using my SPs though, I have 85 still, and if I go for a legendary I'm sure I'll pick the rest along the way.

Oh, I remember them being about 3g last I checked for them. Guess they went up.

ZenVolta

Hit level 35 and bought my cultural armor tier 1. I was hoping the Sylvari armor would be more classy. Right now the set makes me look like a Stripper or something. Maybe its the dyes.
Maybe I can find a set more like the duster coat. Is there another set of armor for a thief I should be trying to get?

Ken

Hit level 35 and bought my cultural armor tier 1. I was hoping the Sylvari armor would be more classy. Right now the set makes me look like a Stripper or something. Maybe its the dyes or something.

Maybe I can find a set more like the duster coat. Is there another set of armor for a thief I should be trying to get?

You can preview it you know, and cultural armor isn't the best bang for your buck.

Hm, not sure how I feel about running dungeons again on my alt; don't really want to run a dungeon and get 10x less reward for more effort.

Rarutos

Hmm, sorry if this was asked already (and if this is an incredibly dumb question), but let me get this straight. I know people are saying that getting Dungeon/Temples of Orr/Cultural/etc. armors and stuff are mostly purely aesthetic, as all level 80 exotics pretty much have the same defense stat and whatnot (aside from the obvious +Power/Precision and whatnot)... But, what exactly would be the armors that have the same stats?

Is it that all exotic armor that have the same stats? Is there a set of exotic armor that you can get cheaply and right off the bat? Do rare armors have the same stats as exotic too? If so, then I understand why getting these armors are mostly aesthetic. I'm assuming that Masterwork and obviously Fine rarity armors are a bit weaker at least.

Maybe I just haven't played enough, and exotics just aren't coming to me yet, but I just wanted to make sure if that's what everyone meant by getting these armors as purely aesthetic. I haven't really done much in terms of dungeons yet, so maybe that's why? I also think that more than a gold or two is expensive right now because I have never really had more than 4 gold on a character at a time. Maybe I'm just bad at making money! I have randomly sold mats on the Trading Post for more money, but that's about it.

If asked, I just got to level 80 a few days ago and right now I'm just rocking parts of the crafted level 80 Masterwork armor right now.

Ken

From what I understand, every piece of level 80 exotic armor you can find from crafting can also be found from a dungeon vendor. So if you saw a crafted piece with x allocation of stats, you would be able to find an armor piece with the same x allocation of stats from a dungeon vendor. The only differences between crafted, and dungeon is that they have different runes in them and different appearances.

Here's two crafted pieces from the TP:

Here's a chest piece from CoF dungeon:
(this piece has Superior Rune of Baelfire but I cropped it out and didn't want to make another picture).

Hm, karma gear might have their own unique stat allocation. The vendors are never up when I visit Orr though so I can only base this assumption on the one karma piece I own. I have a 72 Precision, 72 Toughness, 101 Healing Power chest piece from the Balth vendor but I can't find a similar set of stats on the TP or dungeon vendors. Regardless, you can still find other chest pieces with the same values of 363 armor, 72/72/101 numbers from crafted and dungeon.

Culturals aren't exotics so they don't have the same stats, AFAIK.

Cliffnotes version:

Any level 80 exotic crafted armor you find on TP, you should be able to find an armor with the same stats from dungeon vendor.
Karma gear might have a different set of stats but because the vendors depend on zergs to take out the bosses, I'm usually never around to see them.

Is there a set of exotic armor that you can get cheaply and right off the bat?

Used to be CoF armor; easy explorable path, you got gold at the same time as you were working towards your armor... it was a free set of level 80 exotic that came with a ton of gold provided you had the time and sanity to grind through the dungeon about 69 times but now that path is made harder and the experience and gold is nerfed so eh.

Sarcasm

Is they any way I can download this as I wait for my retail box that had the key? Be nice to be able to party right off the bat.

"Hm, karma gear might have their own unique stat allocation."

They do. This has been glossed over in this very thread. Besides that, all other armor/weapons/trinkets have the same stat allocations.

markot

Banned
It sucks that I have to pve to get good gear for wvwvw... the whole 'sack' system of wvw is a bad joke, god knows how many badges I have missed due to dying or forgetting...

Not to mention the stats arent what I need for my necro >_<

Ken

Here are the patch notes for today&#8217;s game update:
General
Fixed missing female voice over lines that were not playing during some story cinematic sequences
Fixed an issue where NPCs would stop moving and result in some events from being blocked
Fixed a Mac client crash and added better crash reporting support

Things that matter.

Played my Necro to 16 today; really enjoying the class so much that I kind of wish I rolled this instead of my Guardian.

Morokh

Getting a bit annoyed at my Engineer's dps and my playstyle with him. I have been going dual pistols but I recently picked up a rifle that was a good dps increase so I switched to that, but I really, really dislike the rifle's control-focused skills so I'm thinking of swapping back to pistols. With my current playstyle (pistols + elixirs) I feel like I'm only using my 5 skills and just using elixirs whenever they're up, but it still feels like the most efficient way of levelling, compared to turrets or grenades.

Is there a better way of going about things? Or is Engineer maybe just not for me?

I must say I feel the same about my engineer (77 now) I tried to change play-style regularly to avoid being a little bit too bored.
I've tried Dual Pistols + Turrets - Rifle + Elixir Gun - and i'm now running a Pistol/Shield + Tool Kit build because i had enough of kiting everything.

All that worked pretty well every time but you always get to the point where the constant 'pew pew' while waiting for cooldowns to spice things up gets a little boring.

And i must say when i face multiple enemies especially in the story missions it's been a real pain.

"Is there a better way of going about things? Or is Engineer maybe just not for me?"

Rifle has the best DPS out of all 3 weapon setups. It's basically a shotgun moreso than a rifle, though.

Wallach

I'm getting net connect issues. What the hell?

Weird, I must have tried to login the second this went down. I was disconnected the second I was able to see my character, and couldn't log back in. Maybe my Necro is just too ugly for this world. My bad, guys. :(

Rifle has the best DPS out of all 3 weapon setups. It's basically a shotgun moreso than a rifle, though.

Yeah. In my opinion it's one of the strongest weapons period, and definitely the strongest option for the Engineer (the Shield is fantastic but the MH Pistol not so much). Try something like this: http://gw2skills.net/editor/en/?fcA...2ECShehXfewWpFEC;TsAA1CnoqxUjoGbNuak1MI4QwUAA

All kinds of options for changing things to suit yourself, but basically stick to power/crit/survivability, keep the Rifle and Grenade Kit. 10 from Tools into Alchemy for the vigor and isn't bad either, but I like the 25% toolbelt reset a lot. I've tried it with gadgets before too, but condition removal becomes a pain.

Moobabe

aaand I hit lvl 80 with my second character (Mesmer)

the armor is a mix of exotics, cultural tier 1-3 and Order of Whisper pieces

Nice! How did you manage all that gear just as you're hitting 80? I'm at 80 and have crap stuff...

Also is anyone else running a Guardian? What kind of set ups are you guys using?

leng jai

Some of these combat scenarios in the story missions have absurd difficulty spikes. Do they really expect you to be able to beat 5+ mobs at the same level as you with an AI partner that spends 90% of the time dead?

Fumoffu

Neo Member
Some of these combat scenarios in the story missions have absurd difficulty spikes. Do they really expect you to be able to beat 5+ mobs at the same level as you with an AI partner that spends 90% of the time dead?

On top of them not doing any damage or willing to revive you :p

Ashodin

Weird, I must have tried to login the second this went down. I was disconnected the second I was able to see my character, and couldn't log back in. Maybe my Necro is just too ugly for this world. My bad, guys. :(

Been trying for the past 20 minutes. Maybe something's going on with the login server. Time to check twitter...

confuziz

Banned
Guild Wars 2 &#8207;@GuildWars2

We are aware of the recent disconnect and login issue. Thank you for your continued patience while we look in to it. ^AT

Here are the patch notes for today’s game update:
General
Fixed missing female voice over lines that were not playing during some story cinematic sequences
Fixed an issue where NPCs would stop moving and result in some events from being blocked
Fixed a Mac client crash and added better crash reporting support
For the love of...

STILL no mention of the Personal Quest rewards (and they're not fixed according to posts in the Official Forum). I can't even log in to post on the official forums myself, keep getting either database error codes or "Authentication Token" errors.

And at least one skill point in Malchor's Leap had bugged out again, after yesterday's patch supposedly fixing them.

Add in all the anti-farming code (dungeon or otherwise), and the little annoyances really add up once you hit 80.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Had a lovely taste of diminishing returns on Dynamic Events last night. There's an area for the Charr oriented "Meatoberfest", around the area spawns about 5 events. I log in last night, and run to one of the events, just as it finishes another event, etc. This went on as each event spawned just as the other ended. I ended up doing all 5, getting about 600xp each, except for the 5th event which only gave about 400 xp. I figured, maybe it's just that event? I proceed to head north and there spawns an event to fight dredge, completed it and got 300ish xp. Again, thought it was just that event. Headed back south and the Meatoberfest events spawned and as I completed them again I saw the xp dwindle down to 100xp per event.

I then realized this must be their "anti-farming" system in place...but why did it go into effect before repeating any event? I was just going to whatever icon I saw on my map telling me "look, xp!" Even more disgusting, I figured that if I left that area the diminishing effects would go away. Nope, headed east towards an area spawning ghosts and did an event there that I had never done before in the course of owning the game. Got 100ish xp.

So lesson learned, don't go to areas with too much content.

Complistic

Had a lovely taste of diminishing returns on Dynamic Events last night. There's an area for the Charr oriented "Meatoberfest", around the area spawns about 5 events. I log in last night, and run to one of the events, just as it finishes another event, etc. This went on as each event spawned just as the other ended. I ended up doing all 5, getting about 600xp each, except for the 5th event which only gave about 400 xp. I figured, maybe it's just that event? I proceed to head north and there spawns an event to fight dredge, completed it and got 300ish xp. Again, thought it was just that event. Headed back south and the Meatoberfest events spawned and as I completed them again I saw the xp dwindle down to 100xp per event.

I then realized this must be their "anti-farming" system in place...but why did it go into effect before repeating any event? I was just going to whatever icon I saw on my map telling me "look, xp!" Even more disgusting, I figured that if I left that area the diminishing effects would go away. Nope, headed east towards an area spawning ghosts and did an event there that I had never done before in the course of owning the game. Got 100ish xp.

I don't think they did this to events, just dungeons.

I don't think they did this to events, just dungeons.

They implemented diminishing returns on events back soon after launch as people were farming certain events instead of doing different ones. Only the events in WvWvW didn't suffer hence them taking out the Dolyaks events.

Though the diminishing returns from what I understood was just for particular events and not just events in a single zone.

Ferga

I killed the fire shaman boss at the iron marches alone and was quite proud but then the fire elemental version 2 came out. I got it to half health but then I started to get knocked around and started to burn and my heals couldn't keep up.

Holy shit. You cannot solo this fire elemental.

I'm most likely going to be taking a few days to a week off this game to play Torchlight 2 with my friend who wasn't interested in Guild Wars 2. Poor dude hasn't had anybody to game with for weeks!

So, uh... Don't kick me from the guild, bro.

I'd probably post this on the guild forums. I know there has been an attempt to move most guild stuff over there since this thread is for everybody who is or isn't in the guild.

2 more days and my parts are here! Can't wait to see this game in all its glory. My C2D E8400 was starting to show its age.

Arcteryx

Things that matter.

Played my Necro to 16 today; really enjoying the class so much that I kind of wish I rolled this instead of my Guardian.

Necro is CRAZY fun! Honestly thinking I might switch mains(from Warrior).

Nice! How did you manage all that gear just as you're hitting 80? I'm at 80 and have crap stuff...

Also is anyone else running a Guardian? What kind of set ups are you guys using?

Assuming you didn't waste a ton of gold/karma along the way to 80, you should EASILY have enough karma for at least 1 exotic piece of gear, as well as having enough gold to pickup another piece or two(or weapons instead); 100% the 70-80 zones will usually net you weapons/armor + a nice profit(~50s + usually 50 orich).

How far into the event was it already? and did you get a gold medal?

I've noticed some events aren't seeming to give as much XP(running this alt thru the norn zones again), but it seems to vary so far.

Also, some of these 1-15 zones are completely dead(at least last night during prime time)..not so sure how some of these events are going to be in a couple months when people are 80 already. Kinda weird getting to see the same zone both without people and with tons of people. Much much more fun/leveling was faster with loads of people, but not much you can do about that I guess.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Necro is CRAZY fun! Honestly thinking I might switch mains(from Warrior).

What weapons are you using? It honestly doesn't look too fun for me. Not a big fan of curses, DoTs, etc.

I killed the fire shaman boss at the iron marches alone and was quite proud but then the fire elemental version 2 came out. I got it to half health but then I started to get knocked around and started to burn and my heals couldn't keep up.

Ugh, I almost solo'd that one. You basically need to pick off the minions and it lowers his health. Don't even attempt to melee and stay at 1200 range so you can sidestep his attacks. Got him to 1/3rd health and some guy ran into the area and got 1-shot'd. Decided to be a hero and go revive him, first laying down a shelter to absorb projectiles. Revived the guy, shelter dropped, I got 1-shot'd and the guy ran away, leaving me behind. Felt so demoralized.

Achtius

let's do it together!

Arcteryx

What weapons are you using? It honestly doesn't look too fun for me. Not a big fan of curses, DoTs, etc.

Ugh, I almost solo'd that one. You basically need to pick off the minions and it lowers his health. Don't even attempt to melee and stay at 1200 range so you can sidestep his attacks. Got him to 1/3rd health and some guy ran into the area and got 1-shot'd. Decided to be a hero and go revive him, first laying down a shelter to absorb projectiles. Revived the guy, shelter dropped, I got 1-shot'd and the guy ran away, leaving me behind. Felt so demoralized.

Staff/scepter&dagger

It seemed kind of bland at first, but once you start getting skills/traits setup where you can move conditions around/switch them to boons...daaaaaaaaaamn so much more involved than simple shouts/heals as warrior.

I'm most likely going to be taking a few days to a week off this game to play Torchlight 2 with my friend who wasn't interested in Guild Wars 2. Poor dude hasn't had anybody to game with for weeks!

So, uh... Don't kick me from the guild, bro.

Yea Borderlands and Torchlight will lower my time in GW2 as well. Don't kick please :p (Adriane ingame).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom