• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yawn.

Copied and pasted the tips I gave earlier, modified it to specifically end the argument before you started it again. If I hadn't, you would have jumped on me for "spreading disinformation" again. Damned if I do, damned if I don't.

Too busy enjoying the game to listen to constant bitching. The only people this affects are new players looking for info, instead wandering into the usual internet pissing contest.

Really doesn't help or add to anything, Retro, other than attempt to stoke more arguments. I'm out, you guys can have this thread. I'm sure you'll bully out anyone else who doesn't agree with you and your guild's thoughts/claims on the game.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Pretty pathetic turn of events.

Here's a tip for everyone: calling someone out is as much an instigation as their 'disagreement about game mechanics'. I hope some of you can grow a little and keep the little slaps to a minimum when discussing things. I did a boo-boo laughing at the sudden defensive posts too, but it is getting a little predictable.

BrettWeir

Okay, this debate ends now you two. If you can't be civil, go somewhere else.

For the love of all that's holy, thank you!!!

On a side note.......Been in WvW all day on my new love. Have yet to lose a 1v1, won several 2v1's, and been zergged a shit load haha. Seriously, Rangers need to ditch the damn bows. They SUCK! Unless your only objective is to camp inside and protect towers/keeps....bleh.

Verve

Question about WvWvW..

I usually never put a foot in there. Too much of a casual player to be able to stay alive for a reasonable (fun) time. Today, I gave it a shot, downed someone and got a "FINISH HIM" action for the F key. Couldn't execute that, was killed by 4 intruders at that moment.

Is that required for every WvWvW kill or what exactly is that mechanic? Bonus points if you kill someone that way?

My current goal is 100% world completion on my main (Guardian), fear that the required WvWvW part will keep me from succeeding there :/

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Question about WvWvW..

I usually never put a foot in there. Too much of a casual player to be able to stay alive for a reasonable (fun) time. Today, I gave it a shot, downed someone and got a "FINISH HIM" action for the F key. Couldn't execute that, was killed by 4 intruders at that moment.

Is that required for every WvWvW kill or what exactly is that mechanic? Bonus points if you kill someone that way?

My current goal is 100% world completion on my main (Guardian), fear that the required WvWvW part will keep me from succeeding there :/

You can just whack them to death, but the finish move is often faster. However, downed players have ways to interrupt it. WvW is really fun, just follow a good commander and it can be a blast. Conversely, go with a smaller group and just stir up chaos.

Verve

Thanks for the answers!
Maybe I can find others with the same goal (completion) so I don't run around the same PoI all the time :)

I'll take all the karma I can get from there - but I'm currently already sitting on a huge load of it. Only spent it on recipes for the different professions. Across my characters I'm leveling all 8, finished cooking, armorsmithing, weaponsmithing and (nearly) jewelry. With the prices of the mats going crazy since the middle of November, it got much harder to max the remaining.
Didn't go into gear looks customization too much until now.

Kind of wish I could trade karma for gems since I'm much more in need of another character slot to roll an engineer. On the other hand it's nice that there's still something that can't be bought with real life money :)

Kind of wish I could trade karma for gems since I'm much more in need of another character slot to roll an engineer. On the other hand it's nice that there's still something that can't be bought with real life money :)
If you really need the money, you could buy rare/exotic items with karma and salvage them to get ectoplasms (or use the mystic forge to make a sellable exotic). Dungeon tokens work similarly.

I got my first 80 last night - my Guardian. Somehow I fell in love with the hammer spells during the last ten levels.

I focused a lot on WvWvW while levelling so there are loads of zones I've never seen. The scaling in this game means despite being 75-80 over the weekend I've been able to level up while teamed up with my wee sister's mesmer (late 40s) in the zones she's in, which is all kinds of cool.

I love this game.

Grayman

I put magic find on a rare/masterwork set. Usually, when you're farming, you won't be involved with any extreme challenge. Rare/masterwork stuff is cheap as fuck and you don't get any additional MF for going with exotics anyway. It's especially cheap if you're crafting it or have someone else craft it.

When I'm farming, I stack up my luck sigil bonus to 15% and eat chocolate oranges (cheap as fuck, seeing a pattern?). That nets me a MF of 148% with the static bonuses from armor, runes, and jewelry. If I go hog wild and eat an chocolate omnomberry cream with a gem store MF booster, that turns into a MF of 210%.

Ok so maybe I will craft level 80 magic find when I can and then use the spoils of that to save up for Exotic or whatever has the highest stats.

Ok so maybe I will craft level 80 magic find when I can and then use the spoils of that to save up for Exotic or whatever has the highest stats.

Don't forget that you can get exotics with karma and dungeon tokens too. You can also get some nice runes this way. eg. The Caudecus Manor dungeon tokens can be used to buy runes of the noble, which is one of the best MF rune sets in the game. Wearing 5 of them provides +50% MF and +50 power.

KageZero

Ok, i can play if i set up a vpn which is nice :). The gaf server was full so i jumped on gandora (eu). I can't play anymore tonight but i chose mesmer and now he has that mask always on lol. Is there any way t oremove it?

Retro

Ok, i can play if i set up a vpn which is nice :). The gaf server was full so i jumped on gandora (eu). I can't play anymore tonight but i chose mesmer and now he has that mask always on lol. Is there any way t oremove it?

Open your Hero panel (shortcut H), then click the little checkbox in the Head slot (should have the mask already in it). You can also hide your shoulder items if you like.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
So I bought the game today, installed, went to pick a server, and Stormbluff Isle is full.

Now what?

How often do openings happen, if ever? I really have no intention of playing the game if I can't get on the server I want (i.e. where my friends are). As that was the whole reason for me buying the damn game.

So I bought the game today, installed, went to pick a server, and Stormbluff Isle is full.

Now what?

How often do openings happen, if ever? I really have no intention of playing the game if I can't get on the server I want.

A friend of mine waited until the early hours of the morning until the population was High and got in that way.

A friend of mine waited until the early hours of the morning until the population was High and got in that way.

This is pretty much how you do it. Server population is determined by the current concurrent population. This is why getting in during the wee hours is fairly doable, as SBI is an NA server. Do keep in mind that you lose nothing for switching servers personally. Your characters will all transfer over along with the account.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
This is pretty much how you do it. Server population is determined by the current concurrent population. This is why getting in during the wee hours is fairly doable, as SBI is an NA server. Do keep in mind that you lose nothing for switching servers personally. Your characters will all transfer over along with the account.

Costs like $20. I'd rather not pay, personally. I will try the early morning and hopefully I'll get lucky. Thanks.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
It should also be noted that you can still do instanced content with people on different servers, so even if you do temporarily have to play on another you can still party up for dungeons and the like.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
For the few of you that still care, I made a Rampager's version of the Guardian Scepter build since your aim is to stay at range anyway: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fUAQJArelYgSCXGyKEg4Eh1DBaQ/VpIe6DTBGhPA;ToAg1Cqo4xwjgHLPOek8MEYKA

Comes with a knockback and two immobilizes to help your squishy butt stay safe. I ended up leveling a guardian today anyway, so I'll be using either this or a Rabid build soon.
Makes me want to buy a char slot and make a guardian right now so I don't forget about it.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
OK, cool. I didn't know that transfers were still free. I did a search to try and find out how much it costs and I saw that it said they would be free for the first week after release and another site said "until the population stabilizes" but I had assumed that would have happened by now.

The $20 was from the FAQ, like Noisy pointed out.

Still, I'm probably going to wait before I create a character. It will be just my luck that after I create my guy they will take away the free transfers before I'm actually able to move.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Finally got The Masque some decent armor. I just bought the stuff on the TP at random but I actually like the skins a lot. Bought some decent dyes and I'm going to keep this around as my condition armor. Gonna get the vigil stuff as a second set. There is some surprisingly decent light armor gear out there that doesn't look strictly "caster."

jYvY9QEZIQKC9.png

By the way, I'm going to be collecting the different mask skins the game has to use with the different sets with this character. If you come across any interesting mask skins, hang onto them and I'll buy 'em from you.

edit: Next task is getting to 80, and getting some non-ugly weapon skins...

Dreavus

Had a fun coincidental group up in the straights of devastation. Saw another player fighting through it alone so we grouped up to take some skill points. We we found another player and almost took down the Risen Giant by ourselves, but those grubs were too much for us in the end.

I forgot how fun running around doing events is. Too many dungeons lately... my world completion is severely lacking.

EDIT:

Finally got The Masque some decent armor. I just bought the stuff on the TP at random but I actually like the skins a lot. Bought some decent dyes and I'm going to keep this around as my condition armor. Gonna get the vigil stuff as a second set. There is some surprisingly decent light armor gear out there that doesn't look strictly "caster."

http://i.minus.com/jYvY9QEZIQKC9.png[IMG]

By the way, I'm going to be collecting the different mask skins the game has to use with the different sets with this character. If you come across any interesting mask skins, hang onto them and I'll buy 'em from you.

edit: Next task is getting to 80, and getting some non-ugly weapon skins...[/QUOTE]

There really aren't too many "mask" mask skins in the game, I don't think. Gone are the GW1 days of having tons to choose from! You're looking at the legacy stuff (Baroque and Harlequin), the three starter masks, plus that one you're already wearing, and that's getting close to all there is afaik. I suppose you could count Ascalonian catacombs and crafted "masquerade" set half masks too, but I'm not huge fans of those two.

I've been using the Legacy Baroque for quite some time now. It's easy to update on new armor too, haha. I wish there was a bit more to choose from though.

Had a fun coincidental group up in the straights of devastation. Saw another player fighting through it alone so we grouped up to take some skill points. We we found another player and almost took down the Risen Giant by ourselves, but those grubs were too much for us in the end.

I forgot how fun running around doing events is. Too many dungeons lately... my world completion is severely lacking.

EDIT:

There really aren't too many "mask" mask skins in the game, I don't think. Gone are the GW1 days of having tons to choose from! You're looking at the legacy stuff (Baroque and Harlequin), the three starter masks, plus that one you're already wearing, and that's getting close to all there is afaik. I suppose you could count Ascalonian catacombs and crafted "masquerade" set half masks too, but I'm not huge fans of those two.

I've been using the Legacy Baroque for quite some time now. It's easy to update on new armor too, haha. I wish there was a bit more to choose from though.

Human Cultural Tier 1 (Medium) and 2 (Light) has a mask as well I believe?

http://dulfy.net/2012/07/21/gw2-armor-previews/#9

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

Yeah, it's a pretty limited selection. I just need to pick my favorite 3. My starter mask may well be one along with this one. It's a little samurai-esque, maybe it would fit this set with a little tweaking actually.

I'm sylvari, so I can't go for the human cultural stuff. :(

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Once upon a time I made this post about my goals in this game, and I was just looking over it. So interesting to see which I went for and accomplished, which I've barely progressed on, and which are missing entirely (or weren't possible at the time)...

Short-term:
-Complete my personal story (I'm only like my level 48 quest I think) <- At level 71 now. Man I am slow as hell.
-Unlock every skill (I'm just a completionist in this regard) <- Interestingly, Skill Points are much more useful than I thought so I haven't done this yet. Should get it out of the way though. Maybe I'll unlock one skill a day or something until I have them all, so the skill point drain isn't so bad.
-Complete every dungeon on story and explorable mode <- Done. Although I don't have the credit for Arah... Goddamnit.
-See the other dragon fights/big world events (the Fire Elemental and Tequatl are still the only too I've happened to catch) <- Seen quite a few more including the Claw, the Volcano meta event in Maelstrom, the Nageling giant, and the jungle worm in Caledon. Still haven't done the Shatterer (though I've caught the last 15 seconds of it twice) or the Shadow Behemoth :O
-Spend some more time in Orr (getting fairly familiar with Malchor's Leap but I haven't entered Cursed Shore yet) <- Done, haven't completed any of the maps but I've explored them all quite a bit.
-Get 100% area completion in some of the 70-80 zones for the rewards <- Actually forgot about doing this. For those who don't know, zone completion on the high-level maps gets you some guaranteed exotics. Perhaps I'll pick one for the next guild mob event...
-Get a set of exotics Done++! Got three, way faster than I expected to. Woo!
-Get a few more pieces of dungeon gear to get the skins I want <- Ditto, pretty much swimming in dungeon tokens at this point.
-Guild Events for XP dungeons/zone clears <- Done a whole bunch before the big events/patches began. Want more!
-Buy the dye colors I want <- Yup. Very happy with my dyes on my Thief, though I don't have the most expensive ones.
-WvW now that the queues are getting more reasonable. GAF groups are a blast. <- Happy to say that we have some legit commanders repping the guild at least part-time. Go Monstadon! I've been distracted from WvW by the events for sure, but it's always fun. We've been leading in the post-reset matchup last I checked.

Medium-term
-Complete all paths of all explorable mode dungeons <- Missing CoF 3 and all paths of Arah (including the one I did >:O), but I think that's all!
-Get a second armor set that looks different but also cool and has secondary beneficial stats (maybe a magic find set) <- Haha, yep, got a magic find set for farming too.
-Get my Jewelcrafting and Weaponsmithing to 400 <- Jewelcrafting yes. Weaponsmithing only at 200 or so...
-100% zone completion in Orr <- Er, nope. Not any of the three maps yet :p
-Do every jumping puzzle <- About halfway there, but new ones were added since I made this post!
-WvW

Long-term
-100% world completion <- Hah, yeah, I think I'm at like 68%. >_<
-100% exploration (not the same thing) <- Noooope. And a new zone was added since I made this post. bleh!
-Chasing a legendary weapon <- Ahahaha not quite yet.
-Getting ArenaNet to hang the GAFGuild flag on the Stormbluff Beacon outpost (remind me to tell you guys more about this idea. it WILL HAPPEN ONE DAY) <- Kristen won't do it for me. Not giving up yet though. :'(
-Unlock every dye (you better believe it) <- I'm at 100+, but still hundreds to go. I should start just randomly buying 50s worth of cheap dyes per day and eating them, to at least narrow it down.
-Lots more WvW

I have added new goals though, however, including my current ones: working toward my ascended quiver (like 1/25th of the way there, oh yeah!) and reaching tier 2 in the fractals.

What was really amusing for me to reread was how I ended that post:

So that's my list, and quite frankly, despite all the stuff I wanna do, what I really feel like doing right now is messing around with my Mesmer, which gets more fun at every level (and there are plenty of zones I haven't come close to clearing which means i get to experience 'new" content with this character.
:) The Masque just got to level 71 last night, and got his Leatherworking up to around 250. Also unlocked all of the key dungeon waypoints in his range, 80 is just around the corner.

I've got well over 700 hours in my /age now, and still so much I want to do, even without new stuff being added at the pace it has been.

I also need to take a damn break! So many of the things I've been doing in this game are addictive and many of those things I was already addicted to had their rewards increased in recent patches. It's like they're targeting me personally sometimes. Tricksy devs.

I think after I get The Masque to 80 and forge my quiver I'll take a break til Wintersday. Need to give Borderlands 2 and Dishonored the time they deserve, let alone the rest of my backlog. :p

edit: Oh, I also really enjoyed coming across this:
Khold said:
My goal is basically this. I'll keep it short because I know few care (nor should they) about my goals.

1 Full set of 80 exotic armor that isn't the crafted armor. I have mostly exotic armor by it's a hodge-podge from different sets. Ocd on my part, maybe.
A lvl 80 exotic weapon of each type usuable by my class (ranger) that isn't the crafted skin.
Every Dungeon path done at least once (I want to see every boss)
1 Legendary weapon....eventually
<3

Congrats again man.

Forkball

I'm still at level 64 in my story quest. I tried to keep up with it, but parts were bugged for so long that I eventually darted past it. The missions are so long now too. My current goal is to 100% Cursed Shore, I just need to deal with some tricky skill points.

Proven

I did everything in Cursed Shore except two skill points, because I want to finish Malchor's Leap first. Malchor's has a much more interesting layout, but the difficulty is upped because of it.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
We should hit up Cursed Shore together!

Even though they've increased in scripted length, my last few story missions have been like 5 minutes apiece, I just blow through them (the game clearly doesn't expect you to be in maxed gear and a full rune set while doing them). It's just that, while they've gotten better in the last few than in the 50-60 arcs, the personal story once you meet up with Trahearne is just not all that engaging. He's not really a compelling character, and their writers are clearly capable of writing compelling new characters, so it's puzzling. Plus he took my sword.

Rawk Hawk

For the few of you that still care, I made a Rampager's version of the Guardian Scepter build since your aim is to stay at range anyway: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fUAQJArelYgSCXGyKEg4Eh1DBaQ/VpIe6DTBGhPA;ToAg1Cqo4xwjgHLPOek8MEYKA

Comes with a knockback and two immobilizes to help your squishy butt stay safe. I ended up leveling a guardian today anyway, so I'll be using either this or a Rabid build soon.

I have been using this for dungeons:
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fUMQNA...vjXPcIFZIA;T4AA2yoEQJhSFlCKqiMFJKyWkrIZRrPGfA

Or if I'm with another Guardian who uses shouts, I'll go consecrations to give us more options with this:
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fUMQNA...b01DHiiYIA;T4AA2yoEQJhSFlCKqiMFJKyWkrIZRrPGfA

With consecrations I focus more on using the hammer though, as I normally want to be close to use my utilities.

For anything outside dungeons I generally just use Hammer/Staff with my consecration build.

Proven

I have been using this for dungeons:
http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?fUAQJArelYgSCXGyKEg4Eh1DBaQ/VpIe6DTBGhPA;ToAg1Cqo4xwjgHLPOek8MEYKA

Or if I'm with another Guardian who uses shouts, I'll go consecrations to give us more options with this:
http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?fUAQJArelYgSCXGyKEg4Eh1DBaQ/VpIe6DTBGhPA;ToAg1Cqo4xwjgHLPOek8MEYKA

With consecrations I focus more on using the hammer though, as I normally want to be close to use my utilities.

For anything outside dungeons I generally just use Hammer/Staff with my consecration build.

You forgot to hit the "Get Link" button at the bottom of the page. It won't save your changes otherwise. Kind of an annoyance, but I prefer it that way because it spams up my browser history otherwise.

Rawk Hawk

You forgot to hit the "Get Link" button at the bottom of the page. It won't save your changes otherwise. Kind of an annoyance, but I prefer it that way because it spams up my browser history otherwise.

Thanks for the heads up, just swapped them to what they were suppose to be.

Ashodin

CGEdd.png

Finally finished my set of gear. three pieces of T3 Human, HOTW pants and boots.

Hat is whogivesafuck because heavy armor hats in this game suck.

I'm so far behind hawkian, haha. I'd love to get another TWO sets of exotic gear together, as soon as I figure out rune sets next to go for with builds.

My current build is SHINING JUSTICE GUARDIAN 2.0, which is 10/25/10/0/25.

It's a purely DPS focused build, with some toughness mixed in to not be as glass cannon-y. I still have to manage dodges in and out of damage, but it's all around amazing fun.

My rune set is currently Lyssa runes. The 6 piece giving me all boons and removing conditions is fantastic, and stacks with Save Yourselves for incredible boon uptimes. I do wicked damage (especially around 2K crits every single greatsword hit) and keep burning on like a pro.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom