• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Looks awesome Ash, the gold accents are quite classy indeed (what dye is that?). Way to save for that T3, daaamn.

arimanius

So I finally got a guy to 75(damn altitis) and not feeling the Straits of Devastation. Would love to knock out the last 5 levels as quickly as possible. Any recommendations on which zone would be the easiest to grind?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
So I finally got a guy to 75(damn altitis) and not feeling the Straits of Devastation. Would love to knock out the last 5 levels as quickly as possible. Any recommendations on which zone would be the easiest to grind?
I think the zone you're looking for is Frostgorge Sound; that said, if "as quickly as possible" is the goal, I'd recommend just gettng those last 5 levels in dungeons or crafting :p

Rawk Hawk

Fastest way is probably to take up a craft, you may have enough odds and ends gathered while leveling to get you those 5 levels really quick. After I got to level 80 I noticed I haven't used any of the cloth I gathered so when I created an alt I started up tailoring on it, and got some quick levels from just combining them together.

Other than that, for levels dungeons are always good options, I seem to get a lot of exp in WvW, or just filling in maps and completing hearts in zones you haven't done yet. You get I believe 10% of your next level for completing a map, so if you haven't done the cities yet, now would be a perfect time. Just exploring a new zone and completing hearts seems to be the fastest way to grind exp to me.

Ashodin

Something I'd like to note: if you try to put the EXACT same color as ANY of the heroes wearing the T3 armor, it won't let you. Much akin to not being able to use the same names as Logan Thackeray, you can't use the same color scheme as them. Meaning, Logan Thackeray uses SKY as his accent color on his gear, meaning I can't use it. wtf?

The color you see me wearing in the picture is Autumn Sky. It's verrrrrrrrrrrrrry close to Sky, but not as guardian-y blue.

Gold accents are Illumination.

Proven

Something I'd like to note: if you try to put the EXACT same color as ANY of the heroes wearing the T3 armor, it won't let you. Much akin to not being able to use the same names as Logan Thackeray, you can't use the same color scheme as them. Meaning, Logan Thackeray uses SKY as his accent color on his gear, meaning I can't use it. wtf?

The color you see me wearing in the picture is Autumn Sky. It's verrrrrrrrrrrrrry close to Sky, but not as guardian-y blue.

Gold accents are Illumination.

I see... I noticed this with the starting helm they gave me when I rolled my Guardian. The exact hues of blue (sky) and grey (two different ones in fact) were colors I'd never heard of.

Ashodin

Yay, finally got Fractals scale 1 done. It was a lot of fun. Thanks to the people who ran it with me.

The snow one was hard because my video card doesn't agree with snow in this game. Here's what it looks like, without any fighting even going on:

I would love this as a desktop image. it looks awesome.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I still can't understand why they aren't just honeymooning in Tyria, it was wonderful sights to see..

I'm trying to convince her. She's not quite as receptive as I'd hoped she'd be.

I can't believe we're really going to let nic get married. Your guild needs you man

She better be awesome.

I fully intend to be back hard after we return. I HAAAATE not having played in like, 5 days. It's so bad. But I know once I start playing, my "30 minutes won't hurt" will turn into "What the fuck why is it 5 am?" Although, once I finish what I'm working on and get myself packed for the honeymoon, I can comfortably veg.

Regarding how awesome she is or isn't...She gave me my wedding gift his past weekend. I can confirm that she is awesome. ;)

Ashodin

I'm trying to convince her. She's not quite as receptive as I'd hoped she'd be.

I fully intend to be back hard after we return. I HAAAATE not having played in like, 5 days. It's so bad. But I know once I start playing, my "30 minutes won't hurt" will turn into "What the fuck why is it 5 am?" Although, once I finish what I'm working on and get myself packed for the honeymoon, I can comfortably veg.

Regarding how awesome she is or isn't...She gave me my wedding gift his past weekend. I can confirm that she is awesome. ;)

It's okay man, you're coming back right when Wintersday should be out.

I think I've finally found the armor look I've been trying to get together for the last month or so. It needed to be metally, there needed to be proper spikes, it need to look nice and imposing. Tier 3 Charr fits that, but it looks too busy. A simpler look is called for. Last night, I finally found all the right pieces and colors. OCD exotic armor is complete.

mornkor3.jpg
monkor2.jpg

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
It's okay man, you're coming back right when Wintersday should be out.

It's funny because the first break I took led me to coming back during Mad King, which was followed by Lost Shores and Fractals. My second break will bring me in on ANOTHER big event. A+

Was it 4000 gems?!

That equates to purses for men - I love my bag space. <3

It's an all expenses paid trip to Arah.

Once I get to visit Arah, I'll take some pictures and explain to her how comparable it is to St. Lucia. She'll understand...

Sounds more like the booby prize at a timeshare conference.

I mean, kind of, haha.

KageZero

I played the game for a hour and i like what i saw so far. There are quite a few different spells available from start unlike other mmo, the graphics are nice and it runs fine. I bought the digital deluxe edition and i received some items but in not sure what exactly are they doing so if someone would explain. Also is it maybe better to wait until i reach higher lvl if they give some special items or stats buffs?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I played the game for a hour and i like what i saw so far. There are quite a few different spells available from start unlike other mmo, the graphics are nice and it runs fine. I bought the digital deluxe edition and i received some items but in not sure what exactly are they doing so if someone would explain. Also is it maybe better to wait until i reach higher lvl if they give some special items or stats buffs?
The stuff you get from the Digital Deluxe Edition is mostly for show, and not important. Here's what you got:

-Hero's Band item. Go ahead and equip this. It's a nice little stat booster early on, but by the time you're level 20, even, it will be completely obsolete.

-Rytlock Miniature. A little minipet that will follow you around. Double-click on him in your inventory to bring him out.

-Mistfire Wolf Elite. This is a skill that you can't unlock until level 30. It's mostly just for show, though, and not that useful.

edit: Oh, I forgot, the actually useful stuff:

-Golem Banker: this lets you access your bank (which is shared between all characters across your account) from anywhere, for a limited time.

-Tome of Influence: once you're in a guild, use this to add a bunch of Influence to your guild (which it needs to make upgrades).

Am I missing anything?

Rawk Hawk

The stuff you get from the Digital Deluxe Edition is mostly for show, and not important. Here's what you got:

-Hero's Band item. Go ahead and equip this. It's a nice little stat booster early on, but by the time you're level 20, even, it will be completely obsolete.

-Rytlock Miniature. A little minipet that will follow you around. Double-click on him in your inventory to bring him out.

-Mistfire Wolf Elite. This is a skill that you can't unlock until level 30. It's mostly just for show, though, and not that useful.

-Golem Banker: this lets you access your bank (which is shared between all characters across your account) from anywhere, for a limited time.

-Tome of Influence: once you're in a guild, use this to add a bunch of Influence to your guild (which it needs to make upgrades).

Am I missing anything?
The one time Glory Boost as well, same thing as the influence only for glory (basically sPvP money used to get new skins or things within sPvP)

I haven't tried it, but the Golem Banker and Heroes Band should regenerate with every new character you make, and the bankers are account bound.. so with a few character slot you should keep remaking and deleting a character to keep yourself stocked up with bankers?

EDIT: Wiki says this isn't possible in the talk page, haven't tested myself, but appears like my plan was foiled.

KageZero

Am I missing anything?
I dont have mistfire wolf or heroes band only chalice of glory,tome,golem and that pet

Rawk Hawk

I dont have mistfire wolf or heroes band only chalice of glory,tome,golem and that pet

Mistfire Wolf you won't even notice until lv30, but if you open the hero's tab and look at your skill sit will be listed near the elite skill. The Heroes Band you should have receive, maybe you already equiped it? Check the hero's tab for that as well, rings are on the righthand side of the window.

Chalice of Glory can be used whenever to free up space, you can always check your glory total by click the PvP icon on the top of the screen, looks like two crossing swords.

Purple chalice in the middle has this persons glory total.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
So they should probably fix that bug where mesmers can create a portal into a keep or tower before any of the gates or walls are down eh?

KageZero

yes, i checked mail but there is no heroes band but other items are there... Maybe i accidentally used it on messmer but i dont know. Well since it isn't anything important i will be ok without it.

Ferny

how come no one has been giving the guild MF buff in weeks?

There was a MF buff like a couple days ago I believe. I went ahead and queue'd all the buffs up and going to let them run for a bit without speeding them up because we lose a lot of influence that way.

Ashodin

There was a MF buff like a couple days ago I believe. I went ahead and queue'd all the buffs up and going to let them run for a bit without speeding them up because we lose a lot of influence that way.

This. I sped up a couple myself just to get some out of the way (they were near completion anyway).

One of the things the guild is going to have to get used to is that we need to stock up influence for weekends (our highest concurrency in the guild). We don't earn very much day to day, and we'd like to keep the major buffs rolling when most people have the chance to play.

So we can't just "turn on" buffs for one person in the guild who wants them :p

More damage than it's probably worth. The answers seem to make it this sound like 'just another MMO'.
Yeah, this answer in particular is rather damning...
Hi Landeyda,
Thanks for taking the time to post your questions. Mike O will respond to the top question and I will respond to the bottom section.
Ascended Gear is designed to fill the 'Time' gap in regard to the distance between exotic and Legendary in terms of progression and in retrospect would have been better to have been rolled out pre launch.
I would also like add that we have never said there would be no vertical progression. We do intent to focus on horizontal but we will have vertical progression moving forward with the focus on zero grind and a very low power curve.
Please understand that we see the community as a 'whole' and therefore are not intending to design again for one specific type of player over another. This is a misconception and one that is not promoted by the team. We will continue to develop the game for the community as a whole offering game play that caters to lots of different types of players in a unified approach that will evolve over time based on feedback and the direction the team as a whole wants to take.
chris
I do wonder how they're going to handle 'zero grind' (currently this is factually untrue with regards to Ascended gear), though admittedly Ascended gear is fortunately a very small upgrade from exotics.

But what's damning here is this statement: "I would also like add that we have never said there would be no vertical progression. We do intent to focus on horizontal but we will have vertical progression moving forward[...]"

This is a direct contradiction of:
"Here’s what we believe: If someone wants to play for a thousand hours to get an item that is so rare that other players can’t realistically acquire it, that rare item should be differentiated by its visual appearance and rarity alone, not by being more powerful than everything else in the game. Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games — we leave the grind to other MMOs."
You can't have a focus on horizontal progression while also adding more vertical progression. It just doesn't work that way.

I don't think they're going any further than current ascended, but these answers don't leave me with much in the way of closure...

Verve

100%ing the Citadel is painful... It seems that every PoI, Vista and Waypoint has its own instance, really hard to see from the map how to get anywhere.
Missing one PoI right now, driving me crazy. The one right north to Bane Waypoint if anyone is familiar with it.

Did a short session of WvWvW today.. and you were right. Can be lots of fun! Managed to get 24 kills, mostly in smaller groups. Once even at a 1on1. Felt intense :)

And realized that I will have to switch servers to get 100% map completion. No way one server will "own" the territory of the others (or all of the eternal battleground) so I'll be able to get everything done.
Means 2 weeks of not playing PvE with my friends if they don't want to switch (noone of them has the 100% goal) :/

How did you guys do it?

Yeah, this answer in particular is rather damning...

I do wonder how they're going to handle 'zero grind' (currently this is factually untrue with regards to Ascended gear), though admittedly Ascended gear is fortunately a very small upgrade from exotics.

But what's damning here is this statement: "I would also like add that we have never said there would be no vertical progression. We do intent to focus on horizontal but we will have vertical progression moving forward[...]"

This is a direct contradiction of:
You can't have a focus on horizontal progression while also adding more vertical progression. It just doesn't work that way.

I don't think they're going any further than current ascended, but these answers don't leave me with much in the way of closure...

Pretty damaging reading the Q&A. They got called out on a lot of backtracking and didn't really answer anything other than 'Thanks for the time to ask a question, we like feedback and it's something we're looking into'.

Kudos for trying to engage communities, but I don't think it helped.

Rawk Hawk

100%ing the Citadel is painful... It seems that every PoI, Vista and Waypoint has its own instance, really hard to see from the map how to get anywhere.
Missing one PoI right now, driving me crazy. The one right north to Bane Waypoint if anyone is familiar with it.

Did a short session of WvWvW today.. and you were right. Can be lots of fun! Managed to get 24 kills, mostly in smaller groups. Once even at a 1on1. Felt intense :)

And realized that I will have to switch servers to get 100% map completion. No way one server will "own" the territory of the others (or all of the eternal battleground) so I'll be able to get everything done.
Means 2 weeks of not playing PvE with my friends if they don't want to switch (noone of them has the 100% goal) :/

How did you guys do it?

On Friday's WvW resets, like last week we were Green, this week we are Red. We'll have different parts of the map under control during those weeks, basically for me I've just waited to when we had the specific color I needed to grab the points instead of trying to sneak behind enemy lines to get them. Currently only need 1 skill point (Very South of EB), but I'll wait until we are Green or Blue to go grab it since they are both a lot closer than the Red side.

Verve

On Friday's WvW resets, like last week we were Green, this week we are Red. We'll have different parts of the map under control during those weeks, basically for me I've just waited to when we had the specific color I needed to grab the points instead of trying to sneak behind enemy lines to get them. Currently only need 1 skill point (Very South of EB), but I'll wait until we are Green or Blue to go grab it since they are both a lot closer than the Red side.

Oh, I see! If that's how it works, I can just wait until all 3 areas have been assigned. That's not so bad. Thanks for explaining :)

And forget about the PoI in the Citadel. That one really has its own instance ^^

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Wow awesome. You're totally in striking distance of the monthly, excellent work :D

jersoc

we didnt have one all weekend :|

but thanks. imo this buff should always be up. it's only 500 for 72 hours. cheap as shit.

edit: Ash, it's hardly ONE person. it's the entire guild. FFS, man..I just don't even know about your responses half the time. if you got something you watn say to me, then say it. you seem really passive agressive lately towards me.

Verve

Wow awesome. You're totally in striking distance of the monthly, excellent work :D

Thanks! Seems I'm not as bad as I thought compared to the average player :)

Fractals and dungeons can be done in groups across server borders, right? If so, I'll possibly post again on that topic, maybe I'll find a group to complete my first ever monthly here.
I guess I could always find join random people on Gandara to accomplish it, but I prefer Teamspeak/Mumble for coordination.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom