• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunar15

lol at people attacking the champion krait.

To be fair, it's probably not explained, which is on Anet. It's confusing to have rules in one place and not in another.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
*rubs hands together* Glorious. I look forward to crushing initial defeat as well.
The salt from farmers in this update is going to be hilarious.
Looks like they did just what I was hoping with the Scarlet rewards, really interested to see how it works on completion.

New Taco fight is kind of a let down. Mechanics are super easy but his HP pool is...silly. Even with people taking down his scales with cannons/lots of dps...we only managed to get him down to ~75% when the timer ran out(not many people were dead either). Perhaps the event scales horribly with lots of players?

Anyways, definitely something I won't be doing much anymore, unless there is some 5000% dmg mechanic we missed.
Well who knows what you might or might not have missed. It just came out. Obviously your instance didn't come anywhere close to succeeding and you're not sure what to pin it on, and that's okay for a first attempt. I can't imagine the event isn't built to scale with exactly the numbers you were seeing, but if that really is a major issue and you're planning to not do it anymore, maybe that problem will work itself out. ;)

Retro

Well, SBI failed spectacularly at the new Taco; everybody just rushed up like idiots to whack the dragon and get rolled over almost instantly. People jumped on turrets but had no idea how to use them, so the Hardened Scales buff never dropped off much. No poison cloud removal too.

lol at people attacking the champion krait.

Need to keep them off the turrets, but there's no reason for them to get zerged like they did.

Lunar15

This is either going to be hilarious to see people learning through trial by error, or frustrating because anet didn't point out absolutely everything people have to do, and therefore they won't do it.

Honestly though, I want it to be hard. I want it to be an event when people manage to break him.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Need to get some coordinated GAF action in on that Dragon!

I wonder how primetime SBI will fare in comparison to what you guys just saw. It'll be the first time for probably just as many people getting off work...

Those who have experienced it please keep any and all tips and tricks flowing in this thread!

The new Taco fight is amazing. I love how you can get an overview of the fight using the jump pads. The salt in mapchat from the 'why can't I hit 1 and afk' crowd was hilarious, I'd pay $15 a month just to read that much QQ.

TYn6FiV.jpg

VWpqEAM.jpg

More like this, Anet. I hope they do Shatterer next.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I love how you can get an overview of the fight using the jump pads.
Damn! Great shots.

How close did you guys come to victory?

A more careful reading of the patch notes revealed the most important part by far:
Rare quality underwater breathers
New best-in-slot item right there fellas. Drop everything and do nothing but attempt to acquire it

Alsooo...
Track the Dragon
Meet up with Rox in Sparkfly Fen to help her track the dragon and gain recognition in the warband.
Scour Frostgorge Sound, Blazeridge Steppes, and Sparkfly Fen for evidence of Tequatl and other dragons.
Huh.

Track the dragon, track the dragon
Track it right down to Sparkfly Fen
Track the dragon, track the dragon
Never use gw2stuff again

Completing the Tequatl the Sunless meta-achievement awards the player with the title “The Sunbringer.”
Cool. Want.
Fixed a bug that sometimes caused players to shadowstep into terrain.
This needed bells and flashing LEDs all around it. A godsend.
The Permanent Vigil Megalaser Finisher is now available in the Gem Store in the Upgrades category for 700 gems. Can’t beat Tequatl? Use the Vigil Megalaser Finisher to destroy enemies in PvP and WvW instead!
Hahaha, oh wow. Subtle.

Damn! Great shots.

How close did you guys come to victory?

Taco had 98% health still when the timer ran out. :p FA got the scales buff down *once*, then never again, and Taco hit 20 stacks and was invul for most of the timer. People were too busy QQing, whining about the contested WP, and dying to random stuff, to actually pay attention to the mechanics.

Arcteryx

The turrets are going to need a tweak, as they can easily be trolled(as people are already saying on the subreddit). It's imperative that people use the #2 ability to remove scales(the other abilities are nice, but not super necessary), and I can definitely see people just chilling on the turrets to troll. Same goes for the champs roaming around the turret area: lots of people are just going to focus on them and ignore Teq, further leading to frustration for the people there to actually do the event.

As far as tips go:
* Make sure you don't get too close
* Don't stand in the poison clouds(they would 3 tick my 14k HP Guardian if I stayed in them)
* Make sure to dodge the wave(which is kind of hard to see with all the people/effects)
* Position yourself off to the sides/stick to the turrets
* Make sure to support those on the turrets
* If you're on a turret, spam #2 ASAP; the rest are nice to have, but not super necessary(as long as people dodge/play smart and avoid poison)
* Don't kill unnecessary stuff(Champions)
* DPS like crazy

Like I said, we only got him to ~75%, so there might be another phase where he gets knocked down HP wise or can be hit for increased dmg. Also, the timer on him seems to be 2.5hrs(unsure if it's longer/shorter for a victory), so yea...it will likely take awhile for people to perfect(if ever) the fight.

Lunar15

Sounds like golem's electric field now pretty much instakills. better get outta there!

The turrets are going to need a tweak, as they can easily be trolled(as people are already saying on the subreddit). It's imperative that people use the #2 ability to remove scales(the other abilities are nice, but not super necessary), and I can definitely see people just chilling on the turrets to troll. Same goes for the champs roaming around the turret area: lots of people are just going to focus on them and ignore Teq, further leading to frustration for the people there to actually do the event.

Champs don't drop anything, so I expect people will learn to not care about them once they don't get their precious loot. Not sure what to think about turrets. Hopefully people aren't dicks?

I think if we try to run a large Gaf group, the best option would be to have Gaf try to man as many turrets as possible. The zerg should be able to handle the rest if we do that.

It's only been one attempt so there's still a lot to go in terms of gathering experience but there is a lot of damage going coming from Teq and not a lot going in. Jira and Ash were quick to tell me that players just don't know the mechanics or that they're not using the Turrets correctly but I think that's a quick judgement to make as well (Note: I was in an overflow that I didn't see a single other Gaf member in, so it's not different views on the same fight).

In my specific Overflow, people manned the turrets the entire time. Whether or not they knew what they were doing I can't say but I did see stacks coming down off Teq. He did bonewall twice though so it was inconsistent. Maybe with time players can learn to split better and the difficulty will *feel* easier like other encounters but this fight is considerably more difficult than Karka Queen was at launch and we all know how often she goes down now.

I'm just really interested in watching how this fight develops. Especially since there's not a lot shown on what happens in Teqs different phases.

nataku

If people are chilling on the turrents to try and troll, people need not defend the turrent so it gets destroyed and then rebuild it and get someone on it who isn't an ass. I don't know if the person who's on the turrent dies when it's destroyed or not, but that's something ANet could try to put in. Instant down if your turrent gets destroyed. Personally, I'd prefer instant death so people have to WP, but some people might think that's too harsh...

There's not much else ANet can do about it other than what they've already done. I suppose they give people temporary bans for try to troll like that, but that's a lot of potential reports they'd have to try and sort through. I'm not even sure they could detect that.

Arcteryx

Not to derail,but one question - 14k health? Is that due to the downscaling in that zone? Seems really low for a Guard.

Actually it was lower than that in the zone(~10k I think). Guard has a low HP pool to start with and I use Knights/Berserker in PvE.

Actually it was lower than that in the zone(~10k I think). Guard has a low HP pool to start with and I use Knights/Berserker in PvE.

Ah, okay. I mean, Engie is medium armor, and I'm sitting on 24k health. That's why I was confused.

EDIT: Today I learned Guardians have naturally low HP. I never knew, I always thought they were quite tanky.

Levyne

Banned
Yeah. I might need to evaluate my "zerker pve everything" for teq. Luckily I have 2 1/2 tankier wvw sets now I can borrow from. Or just learn the safest way to say upright as glass.

Arcteryx

Ah, okay. I mean, Engie is medium armor, and I'm sitting on 24k health. That's why I was confused.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Health

Guardians usually make up for it with much higher toughness and healing power(although how you build/trait is totally up to the player).

Yeah. I might need to evaluate my "zerker pve everything" for teq. Luckily I have 2 1/2 tankier wvw sets now I can borrow from. Or just learn the safest way to say upright as glass.

If I was going to run something tanky for Teq it would be something with lots of healing power/cleanse. That said, I seriously had zero issues as long as I was dodging/moving away from the AoE fields. Ranged definitely seems like the safer bet, as you don't have much time to react to his wave skill if you melee.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Sitting on the turrets just to grief. Smfh so hard. Hope that is coded against somehow eventually, because so many of the game's mechanics do successfully weed out griefing.

But for now, get on a turret if you know what you're doing. Got it.

Guardians actually have the same base HP pool as thieves! Just heavy armor and like 40,000 healing options in comparison.

I think if we try to run a large Gaf group, the best option would be to have Gaf try to man as many turrets as possible. The zerg should be able to handle the rest if we do that.

It's only been one attempt so there's still a lot to go in terms of gathering experience but there is a lot of damage going coming from Teq and not a lot going in. Jira and Ash were quick to tell me that players just don't know the mechanics or that they're not using the Turrets correctly but I think that's a quick judgement to make as well (Note: I was in an overflow that I didn't see a single other Gaf member in, so it's not different views on the same fight).

In my specific Overflow, people manned the turrets the entire time. Whether or not they knew what they were doing I can't say but I did see stacks coming down off Teq. He did bonewall twice though so it was inconsistent. Maybe with time players can learn to split better and the difficulty will *feel* easier like other encounters but this fight is considerably more difficult than Karka Queen was at launch and we all know how often she goes down now.

I'm just really interested in watching how this fight develops. Especially since there's not a lot shown on what happens in Teqs different phases.
Yeah Jira's plan is for GAF to man and guard the turrets. Seeing people manning the turrets the entire time isn't necessarily indicative of understanding, as it has different abilities. Regardless I am rather certain there are elements of necessary strategy that have not yet become common knowledge.

edit:
Data mining, Jira wins:
Unlimited pickaxe
109817_0442 Bone Pick
109817_0441 Used to mine all metals. Unlimited use.

Atrophis

You cant just ignore champs, they will attack turrets or people on them.

Just done some small group fighting around the new BL areas. Fun times getting knocked off Carvers Ascent to my death.

Arcteryx

Someone in chat said each stack of his scales is like 5% dmg reduction(which I guess makes sense as a full stack, 20, equals invuln + bone wall).

So yea, even a small stack of scales can pretty dramatically cut back on your dps.

Nerokis

It almost sounds like you guys are describing a WoW-esque raid encounter. Maybe that's what ArenaNet is going for here. The typical world event doesn't really demand any organization at all, so it'll be incredibly interesting to see how players react to one that does.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
You cant just ignore champs, they will attack turrets or people on them.

Just done some small group fighting around the new BL areas. Fun times getting knocked off Carvers Ascent to my death.
I assume they were mention because people were seeking them out, not because ignoring them is the way to go. They're a massive threat to the turrets.

Psyched to see the Ruins as well.
Someone in chat said each stack of his scales is like 5% dmg reduction(which I guess makes sense as a full stack, 20, equals invuln + bone wall).

So yea, even a small stack of scales can pretty dramatically cut back on your dps.
Indeed, so if accurate even if you take off the one to make it a 95% damage reduction, that's gonna get you nowhere in a timed fight. Definitely gonna be the most important aspect of the fight.

Reports seem to be that our old friend Golem Mk. II can kick some proper ass now as well. Good stuff :)
The official forum is hilarious right now. I hope they don't nerf the fight.
Hah, I can only imagine.

I have to hope they won't nerf it. They have made no bones about it being intentionally tough as nails, and even increasing the difficulty post-PAX. I want your first experience beating him to be ehmahgerd epic.

Retro

The official forum is hilarious right now. I hope they don't nerf the fight.

They won't. This sort of stuff is expected and official forums (regardless of games) are always a small, whiny minority.

People were bitching at Golem Mk.II too because the static field now downs you in one, maybe two hits. No more alt-tabbing for that one, but is that really an unreasonable expectation? For the official forums, yes.

Also, welcome to the OT, don't think you've posted in here much though I see you in all the gaming side threads.

Lunar15

Unless something is outright unfair, which, other than the turrets, doesn't seem to be the case, there's no reason to nerf it.

Anet essentially cultivated a farming mentality in this game, and now this is their chance to shake that mentality out of people. We might lose people who are too used to the dopamine drip, but is that really a bad loss?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
People were bitching at Golem Mk.II too because the static field now downs you in one, maybe two hits. No more alt-tabbing for that one, but is that really an unreasonable expectation? For the official forums, yes.
I'm thrilled.

I love the Golem, the design (reminds me of that thing in Bayonetta!), the staging of the fight, the way the environmental weapon from the surrounding swamp can be so effective against him.... but holy crap had it become boring. The last time I did it (yesterday or Sunday), I literally went AFK standing next to him and autoattacking, just to see if you really could... you could.
Unless something is outright unfair, which, other than the turrets, doesn't seem to be the case, there's no reason to nerf it.

Anet essentially cultivated a farming mentality in this game, and now this is their chance to shake that mentality out of people. We might lose people who are too used to the dopamine drip, but is that really a bad loss?
Or speaking more comprehensively, those people will just elect not to do Teq, which is exactly how it should work. People who don't like the idea of it being this hard can just ignore it to the benefit of all, while the game still has plenty to offer people who want to lazily pew pew things without the threat of failure.

nataku

I'm thrilled.

I love the Golem, the design (reminds me of that thing in Bayonetta!), the staging of the fight, the way the environmental weapon from the surrounding swamp can be so effective against him.... but holy crap had it become boring. The last time I did it (yesterday or Sunday), I literally went AFK standing next to him and autoattacking, just to see if you really could... you could.

You could do the exact same thing with the wurm fight. I never get hit when hitting him in melee range.

Arcteryx

The new dyes are kind of neat for a Necro: pretty much all different shades of green.

Also, the new "skin" for the Ascended weapons from Teq is green colored too.

Full list here

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
You could do the exact same thing with the wurm fight. I never get hit when hitting him in melee range.
I'm sure it's tiny but Wurm needed this buff more than anyone else. He just got stomped into the ground in 5 seconds.

Can anyone post pics of Teq's weapons, and what the Rune of the Sunless does?

Ceres

Banned
I had taco pizza in honor of taco tuesday.

I managed to get on before I left for work and ended up in an overflow that maybe had him at 98% when the event ended.

The QQ of not getting anything for failing the event was also funny.

Arcteryx

Apparently(ANet dev confirmed) the scales actually do NOT reduce dmg: they just stack until 20 whereupon it goes invuln + bone wall:

Stacks of Hardened Scales do not reduce incoming damage. It is just a complete invulnerability at 20 stacks until the Bone Walls are killed.

Levyne

Banned
I kind of like TA the way it is for 95% of it. Hopefully they don't fuck it up (should it be upcoming patch or further down.) Next thing you know we'll be fighting Fyonna with bundle items.

Retro

So.. what say you Positive-GW2 Gaf? Still think it will be able to be overcome with just experience and proper execution?

So now we're going to distinguish between the cynical and optimistic players in this thread? :p

I think it'll get done eventually, but not before a lot of people bitch and complain.

Mxrz

TA is losing its flowers, I believe.

I have the "You are not in a guild!" bug it seems. Can't use any guild chat. switching reps doesn't do anything. Very annoying.

Lunar15

I've been wanting an extremely difficult to beat dragon since the game launched. This is an example of gameplay complimenting lore.

So now we're going to distinguish between the cynical and optimistic players in this thread? :p

I think it'll get done eventually, but not before a lot of people bitch and complain.

lol well I meant that more because I've been posting from the position of skepticism in terms of how well balanced the fight is and others have positioned themselves more on the positive side. Made it a general statement because I didn't want to seem like I'm calling any one person out.

I mean, I completely understand and agree that things will take time to work out. This fight is just so much more difficult than anything before it that I'm concerned that something is off. What it could be I can't tell just yet because there's so much to take in. But the health goes down painfully slow, there's mobs everywhere. Lots of damage flying around and that's just Phase 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom