• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunar15

lol well I meant that more because I've been posting from the position of skepticism in terms of how well balanced the fight is and others have positioned themselves more on the positive side. Made it a general statement because I didn't want to seem like I'm calling any one person out.

I mean, I completely understand and agree that things will take time to work out. This fight is just so much more difficult than anything before it that I'm concerned that something is off. What it could be I can't tell just yet because there's so much to take in. But the health goes down painfully slow, there's mobs everywhere. Lots of damage flying around and that's just Phase 1.

I really shouldn't be talking smack because I haven't done it yet! But I do believe the event can be done. I think Anet WANTED this to be harder than anything that's come before it. It will take a while before people figure it out, and when they do, it's hopefully going to be a big deal.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
As opposed to having a pass at balance eventually.
I guess "how long from now is eventually?" is my follow-up. Except for the turret trolling issue, which I hope to see addressed as quickly as possible, I think it would be a real shame if the fight were nerfed tomorrow.

If there hasn't been a single successful completion after a week then it'll probably have to happen.

I guess "how long from now is eventually?" is my follow-up. Except for the turret trolling issue, which I hope to see addressed as quickly as possible, I think it would be a real shame if the fight were nerfed tomorrow.

If there hasn't been a single successful completion after a week then it'll probably have to happen.

Definitely not within 24 hours. That would just be jumping the gun in a major way. I'd probably estimate 2 weeks though. Given that I'd assume a lot of people have very sporadic play time and it doesn't seem like an encounter where the few can carry the many given how much health Teq has. I can really see it taking awhile to master even if they do a balance tweak at some point.

Lunar15

Really wish the commander system was slightly different. I haven't been in there, but I can assume it's a bunch of blue hats sending zergs to die as they fruitlessly melee the dragon.

Mxrz

Tried it in overflow. Seemed like everyone camped on the lasers, and few people were trying to hit him. Seeing zerker warriors one-shotted was kind of funny at least.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Definitely not within 24 hours. That would just be jumping the gun in a major way. I'd probably estimate 2 weeks though. Given that I'd assume a lot of people have very sporadic play time and it doesn't seem like an encounter where the few can carry the many given how much health Teq has. I can really see it taking awhile to master even if they do a balance tweak at some point.
If no group has beaten it within 2 weeks then I agree, that'd be pretty indicative of something wrong. I know people out there will be even more devoted to it than I will and I'm gonna try my damndest. So it's definitely realistic. I just think calls for him to be nerfed NOW are beyond the pale.
If by "masterbating" you mean sitting at my desk and gouging my eyes out by looking at spreadsheets all day, then yes, that's what you're hearing.
Kinky.
The new Golem fight was great.
So hyped for him and the Megadestroyer! : )

edit: I am seeing a sort of emerging meta-discussion (maybe stemming from people who have beta access) about using the LFG tool as a sort of de facto squad organizer; forming parties to guard individual turrets, squads focused just on fingers, etc. Would be sort of awesome if that came to pass, and I wonder how long we've got before the full rollout.

Ashodin

If no group has beaten it within 2 weeks then I agree, that'd be pretty indicative of something wrong. I know people out there will be even more devoted to it than I will and I'm gonna try my damndest. So it's definitely realistic. I just think calls for him to be nerfed NOW are beyond the pale.

Kinky.

So hyped for him and the Megadestroyer! : )

edit: I am seeing a sort of emerging meta-discussion (maybe stemming from people who have beta access) about using the LFG tool as a sort of de facto squad organizer; forming parties to guard individual turrets, squads focused just on fingers, etc. Would be sort of awesome if that came to pass, and I wonder how long we've got before the full rollout.

Invasions are awesome now, farmers get fucked

Atrophis

Apparently(ANet dev confirmed) the scales actually do NOT reduce dmg: they just stack until 20 whereupon it goes invuln + bone wall:

Well that changes things a bit. Last attempt he only bone walled twice and we still didn't get him down to 75%. Maybe the turret buffs are more important? 8 second quickness would be a big dps increase plus I'm sure the laser does a lot of damage when it is finally fired. One of the achievements mentions killing him with a fully charged laser. When you get to this phase I guess its about protecting the batteries until the laser charges and that will finally kill him. Who knows, the laser might do 50% damage when fully charged making his effective health bar half as short.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Can't wait, hope I get the chance to attempt both tonight!
Well that changes things a bit. Last attempt he only bone walled twice and we still didn't get him down to 75%. Maybe the turret buffs are more important? 8 second quickness would be a big dps increase plus I'm sure the laser does a lot of damage when it is finally fired. One of the achievements mentions killing him with a fully charged laser. When you get to this phase I guess its about protecting the batteries until the laser charges and that will finally kill him. Who knows, the laser might do 50% damage when fully charged making his effective health bar half as short.
I would certainly caution against extrapolating the rate of his health loss as static throughout the fight based on what people have accomplished so far. The laser is probably responsible for a majority of the damage and might do variable amounts based on how much it has been charged. 75% is one of the thresholds (dunno if it actually makes him change phase or not but yeah).

Still "only bone walling twice" is probably not good enough. The other turret buffs seem important too, though. Having good people on turrets and dedicated people guarding them seems absolutely crucial.

If memory serves, 70-75% triggers a new phase. At least that's what it seemed like from the Anet stream when the devs magic-wanded Teq down to show the phase change mechanics. It could've been 50% though.

Lunar15

charlton-heston-laughing-gif.gif

jersoc

yeah rip farming, but in a way im kinda glad. you pretty much had to farm because otherwise you're just wasting your time. scarlet won't get past the aether phase.

Levyne

Banned
Hmm. Still getting the Guild chat bug even though the G menu is back to normal. Un repped and re-repped, logged in and out and in again.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
yeah rip farming, but in a way im kinda glad. you pretty much had to farm because otherwise you're just wasting your time. scarlet won't get past the aether phase.
You didn't have to, it was just less extrinsically rewarding and the people participating on the maps were at cross purposes. I was there for a win on at least 3 since the end of the clockwork chaos release. So it was possible and not necessarily a waste of time. But it was frustrating how ignored the twisted minions were when they were what needed to be focused.
The amount of QQ for this update is glorious.
The more I read, this does appear to be designed to facilitate delicious salty tears.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Everybody interested in participating in the Tequatl fight, please read the shit out of that! :D
If all turret users fire skill 2 on cooldown, Tequatl will have <2 stacks of his buff up at any given time. You know the turret teams are not doing their jobs if Tequatl begins to build stacks higher than 5 or even 10.
Ah yeah. This is gonna be absolutely crucial.

edit: This is still definitely evolving strategy. From the comments, looks like group devoted just to killing the Fingers will be extremely helpful too.

Finally dipped my toes in the official forums today. Oh my word... this update really splashed some neon paint on those who are interested in the game for the wrong reasons. I take back what I said about Megadestroyer vs. Fire Elemental, all of this is universally a step in the right direction.

Jira

Everybody interested in participating in the Tequatl fight, please read the shit out of that! :D

Ah yeah. This is gonna be absolutely crucial.

edit: This is still definitely evolving strategy. From the comments, looks like group devoted just to killing the Fingers will be extremely helpful too.

Finally dipped my toes in the official forums today. Oh my word... this update really splashed some neon paint on those who are interested in the game for the wrong reasons. I take back what I said about Megadestroyer vs. Fire Elemental, all of this is universally a step in the right direction.

tumblr_inline_mic4y99ABJ1qz4rgp.gif

Pretty sure its 4 X 15 minute stages.

I think its the zerg trying to damage Taco that is holding us back at the moment, people are still getting used to avoiding the attacks so we're losing so much dps to mass downs. It doesn't help that the attacks are hard to see in the chaos and lag.

Edit: Damn that screenshot looks like they hit 75% without a new stage.

Edit 2: Useful:

Upon attempting the fight again our server learned a few things. One, the 1 skill on the turrets does a lot of damage to Tequatl, but only if you target his head. It does about 2400 damage per shot to his head. You should use skill 1 whenever your other skills are on Cooldown. Two, the Elixir skill (4) gives Quickness and is like firing a targeted Time Warp. If you cast it on yourself you can hit two turrets and get quickness when firing the 1 skill. This seems to be a good way to quickly damage Tequatl.

Mxrz

Wurm was fun. Golem, a little less so. Felt like the thing was targeting me, and once knocked into the fields, you're pretty much toast. Thinking ranged is the way to go. I'd rather be knocked off the platform than knocked into a near insta-death field.

Golem has a big windup for the overhead smash, gotta watch out for it. Melee is an ok place to be because there's always at least one static free quadrant at the base of the golem, just gotta find it and dodge into it. Either go melee range or max range, the middle ground is the hardest place to be.

Lunar15

It doesn't help that the attacks are hard to see in the chaos and lag.

Hmm, do you have skill effects turned down? I know that stuff is still hard to see with it off, but just wondering if you do.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Forgot to patch at work nnnoooooo
Upon attempting the fight again our server learned a few things. One, the 1 skill on the turrets does a lot of damage to Tequatl, but only if you target his head. It does about 2400 damage per shot to his head. You should use skill 1 whenever your other skills are on Cooldown. Two, the Elixir skill (4) gives Quickness and is like firing a targeted Time Warp. If you cast it on yourself you can hit two turrets and get quickness when firing the 1 skill. This seems to be a good way to quickly damage Tequatl.
A-ha. Kinda assuming this is critical to victory.
http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/c...ussion_thread/

Things to take from this:

1. Laser takes 10% health off Teq. Well, at least 10% for the first time it is fired. He is also stunned after the laser shot so he can be damaged easier.
2. While the laser is charging the main event timer stops.
3. The zerg needs to split into two stacks so they can be perma-buffed by the turrets.
Interesting!

Thanks for all the tips here. Love seeing the subtler key things emerge and strategies evolve.

So they are making all the world bosses harder?

I'm still debating where I want to come back or not but it's good to hear that they are doing this as I found all the world bosses I tried to be very simple to fight. I don't think any of them required any strategy beyond just getting close and blowing all your cooldowns.

Think I'm figuring it out - the 1st problem i have is if i am a distance away, the tidal wave doesn't draw, and if i'm running towards taco i can be hit by the invisible wave. The second problem is that the aoe circles are damn hard to see under the reflective water.

Luigi87

So I've been thinking... How exactly will the WvW leagues work (or be set) exactly? Like, number of servers.

Because I was thinking of piggy-backing on TC until Oct 4th, then possibly transfer to SBI so I could finally run with GAF, but then I'd still get the rewards TC winds up with.

Then I realized that TC is #4 in the world, ergo has a great chance of going up against BG, SoR, and JQ, meaning I could really be screwing myself there >_>

TrounceX

Oh man, what a hilariously bad update this has been. GG on making the BL's a foggy and laggy mess, and adding a terribly ill-conceived, out of touch and gimmicky new bloodlust system. It is crystal clear that whoever designs and playtests this shit does not have the first clue how WvW matches actually play out.

...Wow I am surprised at how pissed off I am.

Time for a break from this game I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom