• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luigi87

I have a fear, as a TC resident, I'll never get a chance to get on the mainflow and hopefully have a shot at Teq going down >_<

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
tJxPFCh.png

Less than 24 hours. I'm happy for them, but I gotta say I'm almost a little disappointed. Wonder who's next :)

So, I guested on BG, I was in overflow so it did not go well. After 4 attempts at Tequatl, I do have thoughts:

1: The turrets are mandatory obviously. 3 per side. 5-10 people can protect each cluster of turrets, if they are the right 5-10 people. If a couple people are standing around waiting on the next mob, we're already digging ourselves into a hole. And wasting valuable DPS.

2: Two clusters of turrets, 1 on each side, mandates a DPS zerg on each side of Tequatl in my opinipn. Right now, everyone still attacks his right hand side, according to old Teq strategy, which puts too much pressure on the 3 turret operators on that side. He has to be attacked from both sides. The turrets can keep the invul off between 6 of them, while keeping the zergs alive. I haven't witnessed a bone wall go up yet, except on the BG overflow. Maybe 2 turrets focus on Teq, the other 4 focus on the zergs?

3: This is just a thought, but since he can be targeted at 3 spots, maybe we try to put our heaviest hitters targeting his head. Right now it is seldom-targeted, a zerg of good players, who can dodge, hit hard, stay alive and hit him where no one targets?

4: As is the case with a couple bosses in Orr, rezzing hurts the final goal more than helps. Downed, maybe rez, if possible. Dead? You have to wp back immediately. This, sadly, goes against what Anet was going for in the game I feel. It just feels right helping out a fellow SBI-er, but here it just can't happen. 10 or more people healing at any given time hurts everyone in the long run.

Personally I think the one zerg on his right side is our biggest challenge. I haven't been on a turret yet, but I suspect the turrets on one side just can't hit the opposite side the main zerg is on. Or maybe, everyone stay on that side, and the turrets on the opposite side focus solely on Teq?

Anyway, just my observations. Tonight I really tried to roam, try to see what each group was doing. When turrets went down, they were repaired quickly. It seems we can lower the number of turret defenders at least. And I really think he has to be attacked from multiple angles. The turrets on more than one angle aren't there just for show. It is a clue towards our strategy.

Edit: seems like BG beat it... SBI next.

2: Two clusters of turrets, 1 on each side, mandates a DPS zerg on each side of Tequatl in my opinipn. Right now, everyone still attacks his right hand side, according to old Teq strategy, which puts too much pressure on the 3 turret operators on that side. He has to be attacked from both sides. The turrets can keep the invul off between 6 of them, while keeping the zergs alive. I haven't witnessed a bone wall go up yet, except on the BG overflow. Maybe 2 turrets focus on Teq, the other 4 focus on the zergs?

As is the case with a couple bosses in Orr, rezzing hurts the final goal more than helps. Downed, maybe rez, if possible. Dead? You have to wp back immediately. This, sadly, goes against what Anet was going for in the game I feel. It just feels right helping out a fellow SBI-er, but here it just can't happen. 10 or more people healing at any given time hurts everyone in the long run.
The skill 2 on the turrents has a 10 second cooldown, so all six turrents can rotate through their other skills while keeping the hardened scale stack under 20.

The turrents are doing a fine enough job right now, from what I've seen; at least from the stacks standpoint. It's the DPS groups as a whole who are hurting us- we don't stack to take advantage of turrent boons and many are still figuring out the attack patterns. Caveat being that the skill 1 on the turrents are actually underutilized on non-BG servers and that statement on reddit about the quickness buff also applying to turrents while they aim for Teq's head with skill 1 can be a huge DPS source for the server; if that's true and was key to BG's success then we need 6 really, really good turrent players no matter how good our DPS groups realistically become.

I would argue that it's almost futile to rez even the downed players due to all the poison AoE. Those can quickly down the revivers and now we're down 2 players instead of 1. Hopefully as players become more experienced in this fight we'll have more melee folks who are comfortable staying near his feet at all times and not go down, period. The only time I have to back away is when there are too many overlapping poison fields. The waves are easy enough to anticipate and jump over. My only gripe is that his foot hitbox is still wonky at times (e.g., when he pulls his foot backwards).

When I'm hitting his foot I've also noticed that I'm still on his side of the wall if a bone wall goes up. And I can still hit him. This has happened at least 4 times now.

Edit: What I hope to see in the BG recording is that there were two tight stacks at each foot blasting through fire and water fields as needed. The turrents would use skills 4 on themselves to quicken skill 1 to Teq's head and use skills 3 and 5 on the DPS players.

Ashodin

The skill 2 on the turrents has a 10 second cooldown, so all six turrents can rotate through their other skills while keeping the hardened scale stack under 20.

The turrents are doing a fine enough job right now, from what I've seen; at least from the stacks standpoint. It's the DPS groups as a whole who are hurting us- we don't stack to take advantage of turrent boons and many are still figuring out the attack patterns. Caveat being that the skill 1 on the turrents are actually underutilized on non-BG servers and that statement on reddit about the quickness buff also applying to turrents while they aim for Teq's head with skill 1 can be a huge DPS source for the server; if that's true and was key to BG's success then we need 6 really, really good turrent players no matter how good our DPS groups realistically become.

I would argue that it's almost futile to rez even the downed players due to all the poison AoE. Those can quickly down the revivers and now we're down 2 players instead of 1. Hopefully as players become more experienced in this fight we'll have more melee folks who are comfortable staying near his feet at all times and not go down, period. The only time I have to back away is when there are too many overlapping poison fields. The waves are easy enough to anticipate and jump over. My only gripe is that his foot hitbox is still wonky at times (e.g., when he pulls his foot backwards).

When I'm hitting his foot I've also noticed that I'm still on his side of the wall if a bone wall goes up. And I can still hit him. This has happened at least 4 times now.

Edit: What I hope to see in the BG recording is that there were two tight stacks at each foot blasting through fire and water fields as needed. The turrents would use skills 4 on themselves to quicken skill 1 to Teq's head and use skills 3 and 5 on the DPS players.

Definitely feeling quickness'd turret was the way to go - I was hitting Teq rapidly and for mad damage.

Staying on the dry ground left and slightly behind the left claw (left from turret perspective; it's taco's right claw) buffed my survival like 200% because it's so much easier to see the aoe circles on dry ground. And its about the right size to drop the aoe buffs on (if anyone in the overflow ever actually used the buffs). Seems like a great place to put everyone.

Lunar15

Bloodlust has only been around for one day, how could we possibly know its full impact yet?

Is it really that frustrating to long time wvw'ers?

markot

Banned
Bloodlust has only been around for one day, how could we possibly know its full impact yet?

Is it really that frustrating to long time wvw'ers?

It helps the team with most members.

Thats the opposite of what they should be doing....

Its worse than orbs.

They keep going on about how 'wvwvw is not meant to be an even match!' but then put in shit that helps.... the team with the most members..... Its like they literally dont know what theyre doing, or why they do it.

pyros

I was wondering, if you are only defending the turret and nothing else, are you rewarded for killing the dragon?, the overflow I was in, had four of us guarding two turrets, and at certain points, players left to fight the dragon, even though a champion was attacking our positions

Proven

It helps the team with most members.

Thats the opposite of what they should be doing....

Its worse than orbs.

They keep going on about how 'wvwvw is not meant to be an even match!' but then put in shit that helps.... the team with the most members..... Its like they literally dont know what theyre doing, or why they do it.

So... nothing's changed?

Proven

.... except as op realm of the round I get 150 extra stats to everything, + 3wvw points per 'finish'.

So... the winners get to win more?

Its the exact opposite of what they should be doing.

Theyre morans.

So then nothing's changed. The higher coverage realm still has a distinct advantage, and that won't ever change unless they load up the game mode with comeback mechanics. Which they won't ever do.

Considering all that, do you enjoy the new terrain? If all things were equal between servers, would you enjoy the mechanic? That's all you can really go with for this update.

markot

Banned
Its basically giving 'outnumbered' to the winning side >.<

Buuuuuut, I do like more interesting lay outs, thats a good thing, just remove the stupid buff

Atrophis

I think the capture mechanics are well designed and will help to break up large zergs. If the buff is overpowered remains to be seen but that can always be tweaked.

I've seen a lot of tears from GvG'ers but I can't say I'm sympathetic to their cause. Stop carebearing up WvW already.

Just saw the twitch video of BG taking down Teq. Single DPS stack, all turrets dropping buffs into single area. What impressed me were the quick rezzes. There were massive downs and all got up within 8 seconds.

Looks like there were mainly two phases, alternating. The salty tears on reddit complaining that the "real fight and fun begins after 75%" didn't see that you still have to stack and use the same tactics throughout the entire fight once the lazer has been charged.

The most damaging Teq move against the stacked zerg was the right hand hover, dropping massive DPS AoEs. I'm not even sure if I saw poison conditions because when the move happens at 17:29 minutes into the video the only condition I saw on the player was crippled when everyone went down. Seems like when Teq rears up on his hind legs to hover his right hand, that's when the turrets should drop skill 5 defensive buffs onto the zerg stack.

Proven

Just saw the twitch video of BG taking down Teq. Single DPS stack, all turrets dropping buffs into single area. What impressed me were the quick rezzes. There were massive downs and all got up within 8 seconds.

Looks like there were mainly two phases, alternating. The salty tears on reddit complaining that the "real fight and fun begins after 75%" didn't see that you still have to stack and use the same tactics throughout the entire fight once the lazer has been charged.

The most damaging Teq move against the stacked zerg was the right hand hover, dropping massive DPS AoEs. I'm not even sure if I saw poison conditions because when the move happens at 17:29 minutes into the video the only condition I saw on the player was crippled when everyone went down. Seems like when Teq rears up on his hind legs to hover his right hand, that's when the turrets should drop skill 5 defensive buffs onto the zerg stack.

It's quite the race against time. I'm going to end up sticking to defending turrets with my condi builds.

Levyne

Banned
So even with revamped Teq the best strategy is to have (most) people stack in one place?

(I do say this without having seen the video, though.)

Never change, GW2.

markot

Banned
I don't get why they don't design an anti zerg event... Its not just that its zergy, its that its allllll in this tiny pocket of a map.... Spread it out, have a laser on a mountain on the other side of the map, one somewhere else, have several events take place that need to be tackled concurrently, not just this focal point of latency...

Hell, have the damn dragon eat groups of people and regain health if more then 10 people are grouped together...

Its just stupid design....

I really want us to try Taco as a guild on like a Saturday or Sunday early morning when there isn't as many people on to see if the fight is different when we can coordinate better.

If we can get 2 of our commanders leading zergs, one on left and one on right, infrint of turrets. Get 6 GAF on turrets and only 1 group of 5 defending 3 turrets (less scaling Hopefuly).

I can't wait to finally get a chance to beat him.

Arkanius

Have I said I want to make sweet love with the whole GAF guild? Thank you for bringing me back to the game.

Also, good job Blackgate, those guys made it look easier than it is

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
So even with revamped Teq the best strategy in to have (most) people stack in one place?

(I do say this without having seen the video, though.)

Never change, GW2.
I think it's a little early to define "the best strategy." The one success so far had the majority of people stack basically halfway between the designated spots for each group in ash's image. I think it remains to be seen if two tight groups each getting buffed by their respective turrets are more or less effective.
Have I said I want to make sweet love with the whole GAF guild? Thank you for bringing me back to the game.

Also, good job Blackgate, those guys made it look easier than it is
<3 you too ;) glad you hopped over.
I really want us to try Taco as a guild on like a Saturday or Sunday early morning when there isn't as many people on to see if the fight is different when we can coordinate better.

If we can get 2 of our commanders leading zergs, one on left and one on right, infrint of turrets. Get 6 GAF on turrets and only 1 group of 5 defending 3 turrets (less scaling Hopefuly).

I can't wait to finally get a chance to beat him.
I'm psyched as well. I think an off time on the wekeend like you said would be good to try. Til we designate a time I'm just trying to learn and get certain aspects memorized.

Tequatl nomnoms that will make a big impact:
hB79Dk5.png
or
wY57evg.png
if you can't afford it.

7vKj9U5.png
This can also be obtained as a placeable feast people at the fight could all grab.

Levyne

Banned
I've only been able to stop at one teq fight so far. Hopefully I can get a few more stops in in the next few days. Haven't been able to get on until later in the day recently, though.

I think it's a little early to define "the best strategy." The one success so far had the majority of people stack basically halfway between the designated spots for each group in ash's image. I think it remains to be seen if two tight groups each getting buffed by their respective turrets are more or less effective.
Two tight groups require more coordination, more contribution from individual skill level, and thus less chance at earlier success, I would argue. The bigger the zerg, the easier the rezzes and the entire zerg can hide behind a single Wall of Reflection for the projectile move. BG had 10 of those and staggered them in bunches.

Blackgate brought their time-hardened WvW tactics to PvE and it worked out perfectly.
1. They know how to stack on a commander.
2. They are more likely to use VOIP. Big kudos to them for getting >100 players onto TS.
3. They brought their WvW PVT armor, which is the absolute perfect armor for a stationary zerg against an enemy that cannot be critted.

Even if one large mass makes it difficult to see red rings and waves, it didn't matter in that video. The player and half the zerg missed >90% of the waves.

Levyne

Banned
Yeah. Probably smart to bring mass reses (warbanners) as well rather than rage signets, etc. Less selfish skill arrays in general.

nataku

I don't get why they don't design an anti zerg event... Its not just that its zergy, its that its allllll in this tiny pocket of a map.... Spread it out, have a laser on a mountain on the other side of the map, one somewhere else, have several events take place that need to be tackled concurrently, not just this focal point of latency...

Hell, have the damn dragon eat groups of people and regain health if more then 10 people are grouped together...

Its just stupid design....

I was really hoping they'd design the dragons to be zone wide events, somewhat similar to the scarlet invasions, but where multiple minion groups and taco would attack settlements instead of just hanging out in an area like scarlet's minions. Multiple events of defense, attacking, and supplying defenses with resources or something.

Probably way too much work, though.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yeah people have been extolling the helpfulness of support specs for sure. I didn't even notice there was a projectile that could be reflected at all. In that video tons of players did get downed in that group but they were really good about getting people up.

Yeah. Probably smart to bring mass reses (warbanners) as well rather than rage signets, etc.
Since SBI does have a strong PvE bent relative to WvW, zerker-geared folks are more helpful with turret defense unless they're a damage-mitigation pro and know how to dodge, blink, reflect, block, and invuln their way out of trouble at Teq's feet. And that just comes with practice.

A single party of five zerker-geared CoF pros can probably defend each turret group, if you can convince them. The rest can join the zerg stack, where one day I bet someone will find a safe spot just like the community did with Jormag 1.0 and Shatterer. Someone in guildchat yesterday mentioned standing behind the front legs for better AoE visibility, and that's the same observation I had when I was trying to get away from the AoEs. Attack from front-lateral, move behind when the AoEs come (as opposed to running back towards the turrets). Edit: those AoEs are focused on larger groups, so this tactic would only be at the individual level, I presume.

That Teq projectile (which has a homing trait) also has a knockback, IIRC.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Man I need to try a couple fights in my support spec and get decent at facing him head on. I'm getting comfortable manning a turret or being a defender but I still have no clue what it's like in close range of him yet.

Man I need to try a couple fights in my support spec and get decent at facing him head on. I'm getting comfortable manning a turret or being a defender but I still have no clue what it's like in close range of him yet.

Mostly death as far as the eye can see. Also Refuge is easily the most useful skill given it's high health restore. If you've got some decent healing power it can really help get groups of downed players up. My issue is getting used to using it purely as support since I'm so used to using it as an oh sh- button for myself.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
My support spec has a bit of healing power on it, and I never leave home without SR. I'd be able to toss out plenty of area buffs and do not-negligible damage with cluster bomb. Truth be told I kind of like operating a turret though. It's nice knowing you're just 1 of 6 making a huge impact in a 100+ fight.

EU making a cross-server killing squad tonight. I have no issue with this approach and and wish them the best of luck. It should take preparation and coordination to win this and this is a good way for people who are committed to it to convene in the same fight.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I guess I'll hop on and check in on TS when he's about to spawn. I don't know of any scheduled attempt for the SBI commanders tonight or anything though.

Mysterious shots of next patch content (13 days o_O)

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I'm clearing all story points prior to joining the order for each race to get the cheevo

...man, I really hate the asura.

This update is the worst update ever,they didn't add brains to the game just brawn, the boss update is just switching from medium to hard with a time limit...aaaarrrrrrggggggg

Levyne

Banned
I hate to sound defensive, but I disagree. "Medium"? In what way? Teq required absolutely no thought process at all before. Basically none of the bosses did/do. It was an appointment you showed up for to get your rares, check off your gw2stuff list, and move on to the next target. As a game whose central premise, supposedly, is about overcoming the menacing dragon threat, that was unacceptable. I'm not going to say I love the new change yet, the jury is still out. But fucking dragon events should require coordination, player skill, appropriate preparation, and have a chance to fail. If you want to be rewarded for no effort and just clocking in time, go farm in frostgorge.

As for the other bosses, they are, on average, largely unchanged. I can't see why anyone would feel very strongly about the changes there since they are on the whole, so minor.

Lunar15

I think I understand those data-mined gas masks now. The guy in the second pic is wearing a gas mask on land, and the robot behind him is spewing some kind of poison.

Not sure how to feel about this, but I don't want to jump to conclusions either.

EU making a cross-server killing squad tonight. I have no issue with this approach and and wish them the best of luck. It should take preparation and coordination to win this and this is a good way for people who are committed to it to convene in the same fight.

Haha, it reminds me of the Pact! We have to unite our forces to bring down the dragons. I love it!

imBask

Banned
A server on EU just killed Tequatl too according to reddit

I can't wait to try it. does anyone have a link to the loot table for the new Tequatl?

The only problem is : i'm on blackgate and hang around on the voip, but I have no idea when or where they organise themself... is Teq still on a the same timer rotation?

GTA V is holding me back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom