• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Levyne said it first here, but SBI does seem to be getting better a taking Tequatl down. I'd like to see us beat it in less than 10 minutes. Last night was my personal best. Downed a couple times, but never killed so I didn't have to waypoint.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Format seems to be the standard "problem of the week" unfortunately (was hoping for more of a serial rather than procedural), so its strength will be entirely on the charm of the main team and the characters involved with each problem they face. The characters currently seemed designed to be quirky rather than be characters, so we'll see how it goes. The mostly faceless enemy seems to be an original creation or was so minor in comics that I never heard of them before. We also get a hint as to Coulson not being a blatant "brought back to life".
Do any named Marvel characters you had heard of get a mention?

I'm not surprised at the "case of the week" prognosis. It'll likely take until the second season to get into deep ongoing arcs, if it lasts that long. Pity that there are no standout characters besides Coulson. That definitely will make or break the show.

Ashodin

I'm not surprised at the "case of the week" prognosis. It'll likely take until the second season to get into deep ongoing arcs, if it lasts that long. Pity that there are no standout characters besides Coulson. That definitely will make or break the show.

Seems like the entire thing is riding on people remembering Coulson and trying to like new characters.

Moondrop

Banned
Seems like the entire thing is riding on people remembering Coulson and trying to like new characters.

I thought the SHIELD premier was solid and the characters were fairly well drawn.

But what it's really riding on is whether it can sustain the Whedonesque mix of action, humor, and suspense (that Coulson tease gave me Buffy/Dollhouse flashbacks).

They acknowledge Iron Man, Thor, Hulk, and Captain in some dialogue, yes. It is procedural but that should have been expected. Since it's showrunners are Jed and Maurissa I have no doubts that it's going to build the serial aspects as it moves on. The only thing is that whatever their major plot points are, they'll likely only get footnote mentions in the movies and vice versa.

It should still be a very entertaining show.

Edit: Also.. the Skye character is very interesting and I liked the Twins (Fitz and Simmons, collectively called Fitzsimmons). The Twins harken back to Topher from Dollhouse to me.

Luigi87

I'm very optimistic about the show. The characters seem like they'll be an interesting bunch, just need to some to develop, and it has the expected charm.

In fact, I'm going to rewatch the episode now! (it's available via ABC's site on demand now)

And to maintain GW2 topicality... Thinking about pissing away my laurels on T6 mats to sell for gold
x_x

Ashodin

They acknowledge Iron Man, Thor, Hulk, and Captain in some dialogue, yes. It is procedural but that should have been expected. Since it's showrunners are Jed and Maurissa I have no doubts that it's going to build the serial aspects as it moves on. The only thing is that whatever their major plot points are, they'll likely only get footnote mentions in the movies and vice versa.

It should still be a very entertaining show.

Edit: Also.. the Skye character is very interesting and I liked the Twins (Fitz and Simmons, collectively called Fitzsimmons). The Twins harken back to Topher from Dollhouse to me.

I'm actually enjoying the references to the other movies very much so.

Yikes, getting startup crashes and .dll errors with DarkD3. Installing DX9 fixed the .dll error, but the game won't even connect to the server and a black thingy shows up in the back of the launcher before it crashes. My paranoia thinks it's an interceptor for my password, lol. Fuck that thing.

Edit: Whew, at least deleting the files made it to where I can play my game again, lol.

Edit2: Seems to work if I run the game in Admin Mode. Do you all have to do that to play the game? Going into the root install to run in admin mode sounds like a pain in the ass.

TrounceX

Yikes, getting startup crashes and .dll errors with DarkD3. Installing DX9 fixed the .dll error, but the game won't even connect to the server and a black thingy shows up in the back of the launcher before it crashes. My paranoia thinks it's an interceptor for my password, lol. Fuck that thing.

Edit: Whew, at least deleting the files made it to where I can play my game again, lol.

Edit2: Seems to work if I run the game in Admin Mode. Do you all have to do that to play the game? Going into the root install to run in admin mode sounds like a pain in the ass.

Yes I have to run it in admin mode, but no you don't have to go into the root install. You should just be able to run it as admin from your shortcut. ?

If not try this:

Right click your GW2 shortcut - properties - compatibility - check the "Run this program as an administrator" box.

That takes some of the hassle out of it too.

Retro

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=idjgE-RKpaE

It seems the new revamped Taco is just the vision they had for it in the Beta

As Siafra said, that's the old Taco. All of the elements; the bone walls, turrets, mega-laser; those aren't new mechanics. It's just that with the way the old Taco was designed, none of those things mattered because it was easier to just zerg him down. The new Taco kicks up the difficulty, added the battery charging phase, and forces you to use those mechanics or die.

New Taco is the Taco they wanted all along, I think, but the way players handled it ended up making all of those mechanics something they could ignore. Not anymore. I fully expect the revamped Claw and Shatner to utilize the existing mechanics in ways players may not be familiar with just because they've never needed them before.

Proven

There's only one actual character ripped straight from Marvel, Maria Hill, but it looks like she was only there for the first episode. Which is a shame because she becomes a pretty badass agent in the comics but the movie universe has her keeping small roles still.

Moondrop

Banned
There's only one actual character ripped straight from Marvel, Maria Hill, but it looks like she was only there for the first episode. Which is a shame because she becomes a pretty badass agent in the comics but the movie universe has her keeping small roles still.

They could expand her role next season after HIMYM is over. Plus I think it's a good bet that the "faceless enemy" will turn out to be
Hydra

Mxrz

Thinking World 2's achievements can go screw themselves.

I did Associate of Baubles/Secrets, World 2 tonight and it wasn't as bad as I expected. But some of the side achievements just seem tedious. Like the 'dont fall off the raft' bit. Screwing up, and then having to repeat the first half of the map just to try again is more annoyance than I want out of something billed as a quirky, fun side event. Throw in the crazy number of bubbles needed for all the upgrades, and its tempting to just forget the whole thing.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I'm very optimistic about the show. The characters seem like they'll be an interesting bunch, just need to some to develop, and it has the expected charm.

In fact, I'm going to rewatch the episode now! (it's available via ABC's site on demand now)
Hey I caught it, was entertaining. Could go anywhere from here.

Proven

They could expand her role next season after HIMYM is over. Plus I think it's a good bet that the "faceless enemy" will turn out to be
Hydra

I don't think that needs a spoiler, and I also doubt it'd be them because (I guess I'll use spoilers too)
I'd expect them more to be the perpetual bad guy in the Cap movies.

Well,
I just don't see them using any villains or organizations that were in a movie. Iron Man went through two organizations with movies 2 and 3, while Cap went through a third. If they would, then based on the pilot episode I'd expect it to be AIM more than Hydra. Putting Hydra on the big screen (with Nick Fury involved) and AIM on the little screen feels more right from a comic perspective.

At the same time, after Iron Man 3 I expect them to constantly troll comic fans' expectations.

Made sure I took my 1 hour meeting/lunch at same time so I can watch euroganer thing in peace.

Sometimes youtube comments are funny. From eurogamer guildwars 2 feed
New challenge - Liadri riding Tequatl on the top of the Mad King's Clocktower.

Lately I've been wondering while playing on my alts, if Guild Wars 2 live team should change direction.

When I look at all the tangible stuff in my bank - rewards and posessions from the temporary content, I am reminded of how much backtracking I have done in older zones.

But I don't think this is the best way they could encourage us to play everywhere. My problem, is that for all it's intent and purposes, the game world cannot be manipulated a lot by the player. I don't think the pre-set destruction of EQN is the path either.

I think the path is for players to have something bigger than the tangible things their toons can equip, to keep fighting for. For resources and for the chance to spice up the game.

Because when I think of the best moments in online gaming, I think of many of them being times with trolling, justice and controversity. When everything is balanced, equalized and weighted on a scale, I think some of the drama and excitement is lost. I think that is why WvWvW is so refreshing - Because they acknowledge the impossible task of making that fair.

With so many maps in GW2, couldn't they spice it up by allowing players to control, or run or alter or be in charge, or do something? For example, if many maps (perhaps outside low level and lvl 80 maps) had a "capital" city or town that could be occupied by the most influential guild and would make that guild the sovereignty power of the map - being able to tax all npc and merchant activity by non-guild members, generating income, creating an extra source of income, and an entire resource for the guild.
Not only that but each server would have different favorite player run/owned cities depending on the popularity of each map..

So the player owned city in Blazeridge would be more worthwhile to players becomes it sees more player activity and action than the player run city in Snowden Drifts, as that is a less popular area.

If one guild could control one town, as their "guild town" the smaller guilds could fight over the towns on the lesser popular maps, while the bigger guilds could fight over the really worthwhile towns.

The idea would be to make a META game. a never ending player run player based economy were the content itself is players competing against each other on PvE terms.

It might not even be that ambitious. It might just be that guards at outposts are carrying the controlling guild's guild emblems or something like that.

I really miss.. that sense that a guild is shaping the entire world as an economic force or as a power force. I think its there in WvW, but I miss it in PvE. Because in the last few months i've been Dulfy'ing up achievements, getting the backpieces and never looked that much around. But my ALTs feel lonely and still misses the constant spring of players, that have now geared towards WvW, Dungeons, the Living world content, bosses, exotic hunting and other great parts of the game.

Nothing wrong with that. I just would like a general surplus of more players everywhere fighting over territory, trying to gain the edge as a powerful guild. Guild missions are fun, but I don't think it's the same as controlling an actual town. to me, being able to impact the world at that level is what MMORPGs is all about.

Arkanius

Lately I've been wondering while playing on my alts, if Guild Wars 2 live team should change direction.

When I look at all the tangible stuff in my bank - rewards and posessions from the temporary content, I am reminded of how much backtracking I have done in older zones.

But I don't think this is the best way they could encourage us to play everywhere. My problem, is that for all it's intent and purposes, the game world cannot be manipulated a lot by the player. I don't think the pre-set destruction of EQN is the path either.

I think the path is for players to have something bigger than the tangible things their toons can equip, to keep fighting for. For resources and for the chance to spice up the game.

Because when I think of the best moments in online gaming, I think of many of them being times with trolling, justice and controversity. When everything is balanced, equalized and weighted on a scale, I think some of the drama and excitement is lost. I think that is why WvWvW is so refreshing - Because they acknowledge the impossible task of making that fair.

With so many maps in GW2, couldn't they spice it up by allowing players to control, or run or alter or be in charge, or do something? For example, if many maps (perhaps outside low level and lvl 80 maps) had a "capital" city or town that could be occupied by the most influential guild and would make that guild the sovereignty power of the map - being able to tax all npc and merchant activity by non-guild members, generating income, creating an extra source of income, and an entire resource for the guild.
Not only that but each server would have different favorite player run/owned cities depending on the popularity of each map..

So the player owned city in Blazeridge would be more worthwhile to players becomes it sees more player activity and action than the player run city in Snowden Drifts, as that is a less popular area.

If one guild could control one town, as their "guild town" the smaller guilds could fight over the towns on the lesser popular maps, while the bigger guilds could fight over the really worthwhile towns.

The idea would be to make a META game. a never ending player run player based economy were the content itself is players competing against each other on PvE terms.

It might not even be that ambitious. It might just be that guards at outposts are carrying the controlling guild's guild emblems or something like that.

I really miss.. that sense that a guild is shaping the entire world as an economic force or as a power force. I think its there in WvW, but I miss it in PvE. Because in the last few months i've been Dulfy'ing up achievements, getting the backpieces and never looked that much around. But my ALTs feel lonely and still misses the constant spring of players, that have now geared towards WvW, Dungeons, the Living world content, bosses, exotic hunting and other great parts of the game.

Nothing wrong with that. I just would like a general surplus of more players everywhere fighting over territory, trying to gain the edge as a powerful guild. Guild missions are fun, but I don't think it's the same as controlling an actual town. to me, being able to impact the world at that level is what MMORPGs is all about.

I like that idea a lot.
Reminds me of Guild Wars Factions: Alliances could get a special zone in certain outposts depending on their ranking and how the Alliance vs Alliance fight went.

However, it failed, since it had 0 impact.
Lets just look at EVE, when players take control, things get really interesting.

Luigi87

I forgot to mention that one of my favourite things about Teq (which... is new for new Teq, right?) -- The fact that you can hear it like across the map.

nataku

The presentation was kinda weak overall, I was expecting a bit more info on the future based on the post on guildwars2.com.

Ashodin

Eurogamer Stream Pix If you are at work

KORm2N9.png
cDGJ49I.png
g7ZiUvp.png
iKbdeHX.png
sgsAcVB.png
ds2LM64.png
qmcWWt6.png
q1MdePw.png
wX0Kf61.png

Hope someday there is an interview or presentation from an ANET developer that works in a "Feature Team" and he/she could actually share with us what they are working on so we don't have to always just hear the same "that is something the feature team could be looking at".

Great presentation nonetheless.

Looks like they are keeping the final boss a secret. Happy that members that worked on Molten Alliance and Aetherblade Retreat worked on this new TA path.

Look forward to the Lion Guard finally getting of their ass and helping us out with Scarlet.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I love the idea of guilds being able to control anything in dynamic ways, but every aspect of the game they introduce is weighed heavily against the possibility for griefing and abuse. IT's definitely limiting but in strictly non-PvP context they adhere to this pretty rigidly (even into WvW as well with the banning of many consumable items). EVE's sandbox premise works so seamlessly because it's basically designed from the opposite perspective; it facilitates that kind of behavior and it's just considered to be part of the game. Which can be hilarious and fun in its own right but it's definitely a different kind of game at its core.

I would gladly participate in any kind of persistent land-grab though. I always wished that aspect of Factions was more compelling.

--

Last night Retro showed me the Sunken Halls of Clarent, a little partially-underwater ruin in Iron Marches that Miktar took that awesome shot of. Separatists have turned the underground-but-above-water area into a training camp. It's great because while there's a DE that takes you in there (a fun one actually, with two very enjoyble Charracters), there's otherwise no reason you'd have to do so. No Vistas or POIs or anything. And funnily enough we just happened across a random person in there anyway, a ranger with a devourer named Pinchy. Retro pointed out that there's a hole in the ceiling straight through to the sky, so I wanted to see if you could get in from the top. You can't, sadly, but walking around the surface above if you can tell that the Flame Legion had something to do with causing the collapse. There are some scattered books up there and you can piece together that some overzealous charr chose this spot to attempt (and fail) a Searing ritual on his own... which answered a question I had upon first getting to the area but figured I would just have to let go: "why don't these fires ever go out?"

After that he showed me the necromancer Bria's nearby house, which is a POI, but I had never seen the attached event where she comes out and terrorizes some little charr cubs you have to protect. It's pretty interesting. She appears to be a living human at first but in the end turns out to be a Foefire ghost, apparently the only one that has completely retained her free will and can make herself look normal again (even Adelbern himself has that blue glowy translucent thing going on). It's weird that there's this completely untouched human house up there to begin with. No freestanding permanent human structures are really around for miles, just this one haunted house inexplicably well north of the wall. The DE to defeat Bria has a couple of interesting supporting characters too; Scholar Abel in the aftermath has a heart-warming line about the cubs you saved being the first generation of charr that can freely walk the streets of Divinity's Reach without fear.

Every once in a while after over a year and hundreds and hundreds of hours of play time I just have to take a step back and appreciate the quiet richness of the world. So many little touches just taken for granted all the time in favor of all the superserious discussion of gear progression and balance and too-easy-too-hard and developers not listening and effort vs. reward and what's coming next. Don't forget to take a deep breath every so often and just look around.

Robo PRHawkian does it again.

I remember Iron Marche DEs being messed up in first couple of months and that necromancer event would never activate so I never got to do it but now maybe I will.

Sometimes I kinda feel like if want something that tracks which DEs I've done just so I can make sure to see them all on each map. Feel like I've still have many DEs that I have never done before.

nataku

I love the idea of guilds being able to control anything in dynamic ways, but every aspect of the game they introduce is weighed heavily against the possibility for griefing and abuse. IT's definitely limiting but in strictly non-PvP context they adhere to this pretty rigidly (even into WvW as well with the banning of many consumable items). EVE's sandbox premise works so seamlessly because it's basically designed from the opposite perspective; it facilitates that kind of behavior and it's just considered to be part of the game. Which can be hilarious and fun in its own right but it's definitely a different kind of game at its core.

I would gladly participate in any kind of persistent land-grab though. I always wished that aspect of Factions was more compelling.

The land grab concept is what I wanted WvW to be. Personally, I'd wish they'd just toss the current WvW and start over. Forget this server vs server nonsense and combine everyone on to one WvW server, split among three factions. Anet won't have to worry about adding new features that would be great for high population servers, but hurt low population servers. The factions could be new, WvW specific ones, or based on the orders.

Clone Tyria, modify the zones with a war torn look with ruined capitals and towns, place three towers, three keeps, and three supply camps in each zone. Give players 24 zones to fight over, all connected as one world. Put a new objective at zone lines on both sides of the portal that are a little easier to take than supply camps. If your server takes both sides a supply line is created and you get a boost to supply if you maintain supply lines to zones. Each faction would have what basically amounts to a capital city as their home base and the ultimate objective would be to take that city.

People seriously into WvW would be able to battle it out on the front lines, while people less interested in the zerg can work on maintaining and/or cutting off supply lines.

Too much work to do, though. ANet doesn't seem to have any interest in giving WvW the kind of support they give the PvE game.

Levyne

Banned
I'm at the point where I kind of want a taste of 'true' expansion-like content. Or at least an indication, or something. A new race, class, weapon, area to explore greater than one zone, a new 4 path dungeon or two. Bite size LS bits are nice, and for instance the weapon and upcoming armor crafting boosts is a bit expansion like, and a couple new fractals I know are on the way, but sometimes it feels more like continuously drinking from a leaky water hose where every once in awhile you want a full wine bottle to yourself, you know?

Lunar15

I'm at the point where I kind of want a taste of 'true' expansion-like content. Or at least an indication, or something. A new race, class, weapon, area to explore greater than one zone, a new 4 path dungeon or two. Bite size LS bits are nice, and for instance the weapon and upcoming armor crafting boosts is a bit expansion like, and a couple new fractals I know are on the way, but sometimes it feels more like continuously drinking from a leaky water hose where every once in awhile you want a full wine bottle to yourself, you know?

Completely agree. What you're looking for is variety. We usually get only one piece of content that everyone focuses on, but it's often nice to get a wide choice of things to do.

Also that dungeon looks a lot like Twilight Princess. Just does for some reason. Even the layout.

Ashodin

So is that Guild Wars 2 True Fan app gone from anyone else's facebook apps today?

400 GEMS FOR FREEEE

Last night Retro showed me the Sunken Halls of Clarent, a little partially-underwater ruin in Iron Marches that Miktar took that awesome shot of. Separatists have turned the underground-but-above-water area into a training camp. It's great because while there's a DE that takes you in there (a fun one actually, with two very enjoyble Charracters), there's otherwise no reason you'd have to do so. No Vistas or POIs or anything. And funnily enough we just happened across a random person in there anyway, a ranger with a devourer named Pinchy. Retro pointed out that there's a hole in the ceiling straight through to the sky, so I wanted to see if you could get in from the top. You can't, sadly, but walking around the surface above if you can tell that the Flame Legion had something to do with causing the collapse. There are some scattered books up there and you can piece together that some overzealous charr chose this spot to attempt (and fail) a Searing ritual on his own... which answered a question I had upon first getting to the area but figured I would just have to let go: "why don't these fires ever go out?"

I think I remember that DE. Is it with the two old Charr? That shit was funny.

Katoki

400 GEMS FOR FREEEE

Limited time only. Open to abuse. Available only to residents of Cantha under the assumption that the Tengu lands will never open to the public. Will greatly diminish chance of ever finding a pre-cursor item and any exotics with the same skin.

jersoc

ha, those are almost exactly what I'm running right now.

imo, i think you want a bigger SSD. They are addictive. I got a 128 and 2 months later got a larger one. going to get a 3rd during turkey day sales.

small for now. bigger later!

It's going to be sooner rather than later. I'm guessing your probably going to run an HDD for your installs but it's nice to have the room on an SSD to put your most used programs/games. I don't think you'll have much room on a 64 gig SSD after your OS.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Limited time only. Open to abuse. Available only to residents of Cantha under the assumption that the Tengu lands will never open to the public. Will greatly diminish chance of ever finding a pre-cursor item and any exotics with the same skin.
VOID WHERE PROHIBITED

Grats on the new rig order Ash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom