• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashodin

VOID WHERE PROHIBITED

Grats on the new rig order Ash.

Thanks man. I hope streaming with it will be a lot better too.

This is also to help with development cycles on APEXICON, considering I just started working on the PC version:

aABxU1Ll.png

Ashodin

What the heck is w the free gems talk???

ANet hooked up with a Fan Social Media Program to encourage recruiting your friends to buy the game through Facebook. If you link your game account to this facebook app, you got 400 gems. It's really buggy, but it worked.

Unfortunately, I think it's down right now for maintenance and hidden. But those that got in got their free 400 gems.

Katoki

VOID WHERE PROHIBITED

Grats on the new rig order Ash.

THAT was what I couldn't think of. I was trying to think of what a radio commercial would say but I was also doing homework at... work, so I couldn't think of that.

@Ash: Tight on budget? ~$50 more would've got a 760 which is like a 670... but better!

buy the ignots off the tp? They're less than 3g each now. And you can just sell yours after 2 days to make the gold back.

Yeah, I'm too broke for that too...

GTA V and football has cut into my gold making this week. I've pretty much just logged in for Tequatl all week, then logged out. I might try to run 3 or 4 dungeons tomorrow night for the last gold I need to buy ingots.

Levyne

Banned
Had some pretty good luck today. Managed a fractal 49 and 48 back to back in about 80 minutes (the lfg tool is so nice), and then a guild Arah run in about 33 minutes. Was fun running a dungeon train with you guys, it had been awhile.

Imagine if I didn't play Ranger, those times would be cut in half!

pyros

hmm, so i still have my chainsaw skin from last year that I forgot to use and then just sort of held on to cause of all the other skins.

Just checked and its selling for 200g buy or 265 on the TP.

wondering if i should dump this before the halloween patch.

very late edit:
http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/...e_a_dedicated_empyreal_fragments_farming_map/

worth checking out if you're going for ascended and need the emp. stars still.

Thank you, this is the only thing I needed, I've been averaging 5 a day, if i can get 20 more everyday, I'll be happy

Lunar15

So, GW2 ads kinda dropped the whole "Living Story" pretense and now they're just saying "Free DLC every 2 weeks!"

Doesn't have quite the same ring to it...

In other news, there's one banner ad that asks you to "feed the Quaggan".

So, GW2 ads kinda dropped the whole "Living Story" pretense and now they're just saying "Free DLC every 2 weeks!"

Doesn't have quite the same ring to it...

In other news, there's one banner ad that asks you to "feed the Quaggan".
Where are you seeing these banner ads?

Hey guys I was getting ready to post some info for you, but saw this thread and thought it would be the most fitting place. I’ve been reading through the threads so far and wanted to write on a few points brought up.

Our team’s put a great deal of effort into getting this new dungeon path right, so that it is both challenging and fun. We’re comprised of folks that worked on the Aetherblade Retreat, as well as myself from Molten Facility, so we’ve been putting everything we’ve learned from the past months’ development into what we think is a pretty exciting experience.

There’s a whole lot to do in this dungeon, even after the final boss is downed. Expect some nods to the existing TA paths, as well as a few to previous Living World dungeons. You’ve probably already seen some in the screenshots & trailer released so far.

Our hope is that once you get in there, you’ll see why this is the primary thing we’ve been working on. That said, Halloween is just around the corner, and you won’t be waiting too long after Twilight Assault to see what we’ve got in store for you with this year’s Mad King shindig.

More from Leif about the new TA path.

Looks like there is things to do in the dungeon after you kill the boss.

Wonder if the snuck a JP in there somewhere.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hmm. I haven't seen anything to indicate that ArenaNet's marketing campaign has dropped the Living World concept to any extent. Adding the phrase "Free DLC every two weeks" to their messaging is actually probably a pretty good idea because it explains what the content release experience is like in tangible terms that gamers of any genre can understand in a banner ad or a 20-second spot. It's a differentiator. "Living World" is an artful phrase that is totally vague and meaningless without some explanation of the design goals behind the concept. Remember that such ads are explicitly not for people who are already familiar with what the game offers for the asking price.

If you look at the new buy page they set up for their current campaign surrounding the free trial, it's pretty committed to the Living World concept: https://buy.guildwars2.com/en/trialwelcome/shatterer It's the first of the three bullets they choose to highlight as power positions. The phrase "Free DLC Every Two Weeks" only appears in the video, which prefaces it with the Living World idea as well. Doesn't look like they are deviating from their marketing strategy at all so much as adding one more phrase to the elevator pitch. I don't see anything wrong with communicating the content release schedule in a digestible way.

I have quite a few substantial issues with ArenaNet's messaging but it tends to all be from the PR/customer communications side. Their marketing and advertising have always struck me as pretty solid.
Leif said:
That said, Halloween is just around the corner, and you won’t be waiting too long after Twilight Assault to see what we’ve got in store for you with this year’s Mad King shindig.
On top of the Mad King goodness and whatever else, the next patch after Tuesday's has those crazy sweet skill/class changes coming. Gonna link to the pastebin again cause, mm. http://pastebin.com/sXHq6fZt

Hmm. I haven't seen anything to indicate that ArenaNet's marketing campaign has dropped the Living World concept to any extent. Adding the phrase "Free DLC every two weeks" to their messaging is actually probably a pretty good idea because it explains what the content release experience is like in tangible terms that gamers of any genre can understand in a banner ad or a 20-second spot. It's a differentiator. "Living World" is an artful phrase that is totally vague and meaningless without some explanation of the design goals behind the concept. Remember that such ads are explicitly not for people who are already familiar with what the game offers for the asking price.

Pretty much. "Living story" or "living world" means exactly zero for somebody not already invested into the game; someone that already knows that they mean at all is obviously enough, not the intended target of advertising at all. "DLC every 2 weeks" is not just something that's easily understandable and quantifiable by anyone (even non-MMO players), but also quite a huge selling point in itself (how many games can say that?).

Also, I'm back from vacation! :)

Lunar15

They certainly haven't dropped the idea of the "Living Story", not at all. The pages it links through to goes on in-depth about the idea of the Living Story and what that means.

I just found it interesting since previous banner campaigns had "A Living World" front and center as the key marketing point. Just thought it was funny that it's been reduced to "Free DLC!" As has been already said, yeah, Living Story just doesn't mean a whole lot to the average person who isn't currently playing the game. It's ultimately a good move, even if it does sound really marketingy.

On a side note, I also love it when ads use pictures of scantily clad girls that aren't even in the game. Guild Wars ads at least have a lot of elements from the game, so that's good.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
They certainly haven't dropped the idea of the "Living Story", not at all. The pages it links through to goes on in-depth about the idea of the Living Story and what that means.

I just found it interesting since previous banner campaigns had "A Living World" front and center as the key marketing point. Just thought it was funny that it's been reduced to "Free DLC!" As has been already said, yeah, Living Story just doesn't mean a whole lot to the average person who isn't currently playing the game. It's ultimately a good move, even if it does sound really marketingy.
Yeah when you put in that way it definitely makes sense thinking back to how the quick-shot ads have evolved.
On a side note, I also love it when ads use pictures of scantily clad girls that aren't even in the game. Guild Wars ads at least have a lot of elements from the game, so that's good.
"Defend your kingdom, my lord!"
There are ads on the internet?

Outside of neogaf i mean :p
Haha, wisdom.

Ceres

Banned
The only issue I see with using "free DLC every two weeks" is the fact that it's mostly temporary content. So someone buying might think they have the main storyline + months of added content to catch up on when they've missed out in everything.
Instead they get a poor personal story and thrown into the middle of a living story that they missed large parts of.

Lunar15

Watching you guys almost set yourself up for ad dodging banning is hilarious.

As someone who works in internet advertising, I really wish there was another solution for website hosting. I never get upset when people block ads, because that just means that internet ads are fucked up. People don't trust them, don't like them, and most of all, don't click them. How is that helpful for anyone, particularly the advertiser?

Quite frankly, if you're not the kind of person to click an ad, it's almost better if you block all ads because that's one less wasted impression. But at the same time it messes up traffic numbers, so yeah, that's why website owners hate ad block.

Retro

People don't trust them, don't like them, and most of all, don't click them. How is that helpful for anyone, particularly the advertiser?

Not only that, but it can actually be hazardous to your account security. World of Warcraft accounts were compromised by keyloggers that were slipping in via javascript ads on gaming sites (even MMOChampion, at one point). I don't think you even had to click them, just let them load.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
The only issue I see with using "free DLC every two weeks" is the fact that it's mostly temporary content. So someone buying might think they have the main storyline + months of added content to catch up on when they've missed out in everything.
Instead they get a poor personal story and thrown into the middle of a living story that they missed large parts of.
Meh. There still is new content every two weeks. I don't think they should be precluded from using the phrase just because there's temporary stuff.

jersoc

Not only that, but it can actually be hazardous to your account security. World of Warcraft accounts were compromised by keyloggers that were slipping in via javascript ads on gaming sites (even MMOChampion, at one point). I don't think you even had to click them, just let them load.

this is the biggest issue. get rid of flash ads and I'll whitelist more sites.

Meh. There still is new content every two weeks. I don't think they should be precluded from using the phrase just because there's temporary stuff.

I hate it when people confuse temporary with reoccurring. Sure, reoccurring stuff is temporary, and some temporary stuff isn't reoccurring. But really though, it just feeds that mentality that all MMO players are spoiled brats who wants it to be Mad King, Wintersday, Dragon Bash, Four Winds, and Queen's Jubilee every day of the year at once, lmao.

Sheesh, in GW1 you were lucky if the holidays lasted the full week, but in GW2, they last an entire month. Edit: With the exception to Super Adventure Box, that seems like it may be a two month thing per year.

Lunar15

this is the biggest issue. get rid of flash ads and I'll whitelist more sites.

Banner ads are on the way out, at least in terms of sales. Everything on that end is moving to automation and trading desks. Creative should probably get less explosive. Everything's going to video ads right now, that's where the "money" is. And I'm sure everyone just loves pre-roll video.

So far the only other alternative solution is more in-site integration with brands, which isn't necessarily better. Nothing like paid reviews (that happens way less than the internet would like to believe), but stuff like contests, sponsored articles, etc. It's the only way a lot of these sites stay in business without just opening the floodgates for ads. It's not optimal, but I have seen some great executions that were really win win for the site, the advertisers, AND the users. Contests, for example, work really well. But on the flipside, you are integrating more PR into journalism, which makes people distrustful. It's a catch 22.

Ceres

Banned
I hate it when people confuse temporary with reoccurring. Sure, reoccurring stuff is temporary, and some temporary stuff isn't reoccurring. But really though, it just feeds that mentality that all MMO players are spoiled brats who wants it to be Mad King, Wintersday, Dragon Bash, Four Winds, and Queen's Jubilee every day of the year at once, lmao.

Sheesh, in GW1 you were lucky if the holidays lasted the full week, but in GW2, they last an entire month. Edit: With the exception to Super Adventure Box, that seems like it may be a two month thing per year.

Not sure what you mean by any of this. Living story is far more than just annual holiday events.
Any new player that wants to take part in flame and frost to find out more about Braham, Rox and Frostbite? Play through the introduction of this aetherblade enemy? Sorry, that's all gone now but hey, you get to experience more Halloween content if you missed that last year!

Not sure what you mean by any of this. Living story is far more than just annual holiday events.
Any new player that wants to take part in flame and frost to find out more about Braham, Rox and Frostbite? Play through the introduction of this aetherblade enemy? Sorry, that's all gone now but hey, you get to experience more Halloween content if you missed that last year!

I wrote that in bold. I don't see how the stuff in the beginning of the year was all the content that was ever created to give it the title of "mostly temporary stuff" since we got a lot of permanent stuff too. Most of the complaints I see about temporary content have also thrown in the annular holidays, as if holidays should just be on all the time.

Maybe you're just talking about living story, which you would be correct. I don't see a solution to that unless they create static living stories in existing dungeons or something, like the TA revamp/additions this Tuesday. I'm just talking about "two week DLC" in general, which also added a lot of permanent stuff.

Retro

This for real ?

Yeah, happens all the time over on Off-Topic. GAF is free because Evilore gets ad revenue to keep it running. People who admit they're blocking ads are basically admitting they're not helping to keep GAF running. I dunno how long the bans are, but it's generally not something you want to say you're doing.

I don't think I've ever seen anything flash-based on GAF, and I count on GAFers to be savvy enough to bring any kind of keylogger / malware-type stuff to the mods' attention so it can be promptly dealt with... so I don't block ads on GAF.

Complistic

Anyway... I hope they change scarlet's in game model for this new dungeon. Her current one does not match how awesome her voice actor is.
449px-Scarlet_Briar.jpg

LiveSpartan235

Neo Member
The Bloodlust buff is going to see some changes before the league starts https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/wuv/wuv/US-Leagues-4-instead-of-2-Please/page/5#post2924446

Other points here:
1) My understanding is that we literally can’t match NA and EU servers up. It is about the physical locations of the data centers and the speed at which data travels. So, until that changes, interleague is off the table.
2) We are making some changes to bloodlust in advance of the season. More specific details will be out in the near future, I’m not sure when exactly.

Jira

OH SNAP SON

I’d just like to make a note of one thing that I think people aren’t considering when they transfer to stacked worlds. You will not, repeat will not, be able to receive the reward based on overall world place in the league, unless you achieve the meta achievement for the season. If you aren’t able to get into WvW much, you won’t get the rewards. So it is absolutely taking a risk to transfer to a world that has a large WvW population.

Stackers = pwnt.

LiveSpartan235

Neo Member
Karl McLain spoiled some patch notes for Oct 15 and there is a livestream coming on Oct 11 to talk about features and adjustments coming in the Oct 15 Update

Also like to point out that during the MLG GW2 Invitational twitch chat Jon Peters asked Grouch(Josh Davis on the forums) if they had talked about game types during their interview with MLG which they didn't cause Jon Peters was the guy that had all the info but wasn't able to make to the interview so they had to talk about general topics.

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/for...ce-skills-updates-preview/page/25#post2926216

Hey all!
We wanted to ‘spoiler’ a couple of patch notes early, so here they are:

Glacial Heart: This trait now delivers an area strike on the target it activates on, damaging and chilling up to 5 enemies in a 180 radius.

Transfusion: This trait now scales with healing power at a 20% rate, where it didn’t previously scale.

Unsteady Ground: This skill no longer damages or cripples enemies. It will now prevent foes from crossing the area, knocking them back a short distance. Lasts for 3 seconds.

Roy and I are scheduled to stream on October 11th where we’ll go over a few more features and adjustments that you’ll see on the mid-october update. Be sure to tune in and check it out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom