• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maguuma seems annoying. You kill them then they start whispering you about how bad you are. I don't even get how they find your name.

Leveling Necro lately. Fun, but sucks fighting world bosses since conditions dont do anything, and minions more or less get blown up. And FE is a damn trial and a half now for non-80s, at least in the off hours.

LOL. I'm on Maguuma and in Lion's Arch, there's some dudes who act like the Maguuma news team or something. They basically talk shit all day about other servers in WvWvW. Like SO-AND-SO repelled a 30 man invasion from SBI on (insert fort here) with only an arrow cart. I'm not making this shit up, I can screen cap it for you because it's actually pretty funny in some ways.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Struggling a lot more in WvW today. Expected growing pains. But I'll take the highs and lows of a competitive match to boring nap time of yesterday.
It's going to be a struggle all week and involve a lot of strategy, This is the kind of matchup WvW excels with, and it must be exciting to have such a real shot. I wonder if during the week there won't be many queues, and I can get in to contribute.

Just 'grounded' to go for the Aetherblade path achievements now. I'm sorry for barking orders at everyone, hopefully it was not too bossy or at least the reward of getting to the end outweighed being bossed around.
It's alright. I was starting to doubt your method and was thinking you heard it worked but had never done it, but you were totally right. Great run.

Just 'grounded' to go for the Aetherblade path achievements now. I'm sorry for barking orders at everyone, hopefully it was not too bossy or at least the reward of getting to the end outweighed being bossed around.

I got a slick pack out of it so I'm cool. :) It was a good run. For a bit there I was concerned that my charr would be running around naked lol.

mingus

Maguuma seems annoying. You kill them then they start whispering you about how bad you are. I don't even get how they find your name.

Leveling Necro lately. Fun, but sucks fighting world bosses since conditions dont do anything, and minions more or less get blown up. And FE is a damn trial and a half now for non-80s, at least in the off hours.

If you open up the report menu it tells you the account name of the person you have selected.

Lunar15

So, I'm thinking November is going to be a good month. We'll most likely see the Fractal update on one of the two updates of that month.

Question is, what will be the other update?

PatzCU

So I decided to give GW2 another legitimate chance after being sorely disappointed with how theme-parky FFXIV was (that game is strictly on rails). For the past year or so, I've just been playing here and there as a mesmer thinking that was the most interesting class and therefore best fit for me.

I decided to ditch the mesmer and fired up a guardian. I wanted a class that was a bit more "brainless" - no phantasm management, no worrying about how many illusions I have for shatters, etc. What a difference it makes! I'm really digging the guardian and it seems to fit my play style really well. Honestly, I just wanted something simple I can do exploration/jumping puzzle achieves with and participate in living story events.

Really stoked to have found a class I like in this game. I'm excited to tackle all the stuff I have missed in GW2 (my mesmer only got to lvl 62).

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
So I decided to give GW2 another legitimate chance after being sorely disappointed with how theme-parky FFXIV was (that game is strictly on rails). For the past year or so, I've just been playing here and there as a mesmer thinking that was the most interesting class and therefore best fit for me.

I decided to ditch the mesmer and fired up a guardian. I wanted a class that was a bit more "brainless" - no phantasm management, no worrying about how many illusions I have for shatters, etc. What a difference it makes! I'm really digging the guardian and it seems to fit my play style really well. Honestly, I just wanted something simple I can do exploration/jumping puzzle achieves with and participate in living story events.

Really stoked to have found a class I like in this game. I'm excited to tackle all the stuff I have missed in GW2 (my mesmer only got to lvl 62).
Guardians are a really satisfying class. After playing thief, mesmer and elementalist to 80 I have to say that the simplicity of the Guardian class definitely has its advantages, and all the mitigation and healing options who suddenly find yourself having make it a ton of fun once you're already comfortable with the core mechanics. All the weapon sets feel pretty good, there are some really fun skills on short cooldowns, and you do tons of party benefit even if unintended. Just a really fun class all-around, even if it doesn't really suit my playstyle personally.

just remember, like all other online games it can only be as good as the ppl you play with. find a good guild, or go to another server and find one there. Any MMO will be lackluster without the companionship. Even if your a lone wolf, you will need camaraderie

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Gonna get together for the TA dungeon race in about 3 hours and 15 minutes. Meet outside the doors to the dungeon in Caledon and jump into mumble!

PatzCU

just remember, like all other online games it can only be as good as the ppl you play with. find a good guild, or go to another server and find one there. Any MMO will be lackluster without the companionship. Even if your a lone wolf, you will need camaraderie

Totally, I'm already in GAF guild, but just won't really be able to participate until I'm quite a bit higher level.

help a fellow n00b GW2 player.

Here are my stats:

o3Sw2KP.jpg

A4cusYf.jpg

p9rgOPY.jpg

yBnX47J.jpg

The game is gorgeous and I'm really enjoying it (playing with my 2 friends every weekend).

The thing is: I'm kinda weak for a Warrior, IMHO.
We're currently doing Events in Kessex Hills and I die a lot. :/
Any tips for a Warrior? What do to? How to play? Pls advise...

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
The thing is: I'm kinda weak for a Warrior, IMHO.
We're currently doing Events in Kessex Hills and I die a lot. :/
Heya, welcome to GW2. I don't know warriors so I don't really have specific advice. The thing is, at level 21 you should still mostly be focused on learning the core mechanics; dodging, positioning, trying your utility skills out, finding which weapon sets you like best. If an area you're in is crushing you, it might be best to just go check out another at or even below your level. It's not like other games where you can't possibly get anything out of going back to "newbie zones" once you've outgrown them. You can go explore one of the other race's 1-15 zone, for example, and get plenty of XP there if you haven't yet.

jersoc

are you buying green gear on the TP every 5'ish levels? that really helps.

also get the sigil that adds, i believe, power on kills. put it on both the weapons.

Blinck

Hey guys!

So I've bought this game at launch, played it to around level 30 and for some reason got burnt out.
I came back a few weeks ago and I'm absolutely in love with the game. When I got burnt out I actually "blamed" it on the game, thought it didn't really have an identity/soul and just wasn't feeling it overall, but I guess it was me and not the game, since now that I have come back and played it a lot more, I really think this is one of those games that was made with so much effort , love, and attention to every detail..it's just amazing really.

Now....newbie time: I hit level 80 today and I have a few questions, if you don't mind:

- I've heard about "max stats" for gear. Is there some sort of cap on the stats so that any additional changes are just cosmetic? If so how do I recognize if "X" gear has these max stats?

- I know that the Mystic Forge can be used to craft some cool weapons, and I've seen the recipes on the wiki. My question here is a bit random and useless, but how did people found out what they should give to the forge? Are there recipes in the game that tell you what you need to gather?

- I'm just really confused because there seem to be a lot of options as to where get gear - dungeon currency, mystic forge, the karma vendors in orr, drops from world bosses, cultural weapons and armor etc...
It's a bit overwhelming and I have no idea which of these options I should go for.

Thank you so much in advance!

Retro

- I've heard about "max stats" for gear. Is there some sort of cap on the stats so that any additional changes are just cosmetic? If so how do I recognize if "X" gear has these max stats?

- I know that the Mystic Forge can be used to craft some cool weapons, and I've seen the recipes on the wiki. My question here is a bit random and useless, but how did people found out what they should give to the forge? Are there recipes in the game that tell you what you need to gather?

- I'm just really confused because there seem to be a lot of options as to where get gear - dungeon currency, mystic forge, the karma vendors in orr, drops from world bosses, cultural weapons and armor etc...
It's a bit overwhelming and I have no idea which of these options I should go for.

- The best armor will always be Exotic. All exotic gear has the same statistical value, just distributed across the stats in various ways. As long as you're in Exotics, you're good. The exception to this are your accessories, which can be Ascended quality. Ascended armor will be added in the near (?) future, but that's a longer term goal and not something you must have right away. Weapons go up to Ascended now as well, but again, that's a goal, not something you MUST have. Honestly, you could probably get by just fine in most content in Rares and no one would be the wiser.

- You can tell what distribution of stats an item has by the name; for example, "Berserker" will always mean Power is the main stat, with Precision and Critical Damage as the minor stats. You can see all of them here; http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Item_nomenclature

- People figured out what the Mystic Forge can do via experimentation, data mining, or ArenaNet just updated the wiki themselves. I don't know if this is still true, but I believe a few months ago one of the developers said there were still undiscovered recipes for the forge. As for it being random and useless, they don't call it the Mystic Toilet for nothing.

- They various options for different gear doesn't really matter; those are just alternative ways to get the same stats (i.e. Soldier's gear from Ascalon Catacombs tokens is statistically identical to Soldiers gear bought with Karma at the Temple of Balthazar). You just have different options. See more here: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Equipment_acquisition_by_stats

Loving these posts about people coming back to the game and falling in love with it.

Hope this is happening everywhere nt just with GAF members.

Hey guys!

So I've bought this game at launch, played it to around level 30 and for some reason got burnt out.
I came back a few weeks ago and I'm absolutely in love with the game. When I got burnt out I actually "blamed" it on the game, thought it didn't really have an identity/soul and just wasn't feeling it overall, but I guess it was me and not the game, since now that I have come back and played it a lot more, I really think this is one of those games that was made with so much effort , love, and attention to every detail..it's just amazing really.

Now....newbie time: I hit level 80 today and I have a few questions, if you don't mind:

Item stats just go up with required level and also item quality from white - blue - green - yellow (rare) - orange (exotic) - and purple (ascended). There are also legendary weapons, but they are just cosmetic. Armor only goes up to exotic quality at the moment, everything else has ascended quality items.

As a fresh level 80 I'd go to the trading post and buy level 80 rares to kit myself out in they are cheapish and decent while you start upgrading to exotic items. Ascended items will probably come later, being much harder to get. Exotic rings, amulets and earrings are most easily and cheaply got by buying them from the trading post; that will use your gold income for a while. Dungeons provide both tokens and nice gold income, and tokens are the best way to fill out your weapon and armor slots with exotic gear. Drops are great if you get them but are unreliable. Join the guild and give us a shout and you'll almost certainly find people willing to show you through dungeons.

Hey guys!

Dontain has a video on it; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyHQWT91heQ

mysic salvage kit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3e6hc7YMmWg

Mxrz

Put 10 into arms for the "Deep Strike" strike trait. Then equip a bunch of signets skills in your utility slots. At low level, with full signets, it'll give you close to 100% crit rate. As you level towards 80, it'll become less effective. "Signet Warriors" at 80 are frowned upon, but it's the best for leveling.

Get a greatsword in your main set, and then an Axe and a Warhorn to swap. Use the Warhorn to keep swiftness on you and your friends, and later on with Signet of rage you can keep Swiftness on yourself full time.

For any class, get +power on your gear. Everything else is mostly bleh. +Power/+Vit is great when its available. But don't buy greens on the tp at levels 10,20,30,40,50,etc. The prices on the TP are silly these days, especially for a new player. Aim for off levels instead if you must.

But chances are you'll get whatever green as a drop if you keep leveling off mobs/hearts. Its worth it to keep your weapons of choice upgraded every few levels, but you can slide on armor a lot more than people are willing to admit.

Low level food is dirt cheap on the trading post. Stock up on either power stuff or health regen. It also gives you a bit more xp per kill.

Retro

Sorry I've been AWOL all week, but to be fair I warned people about my Terraria / Starbound thing.

You try having incredible stomach aches and bloating and the feeling like your heart is racing without actually feeling like it (heartburn).

Eat less Pizza.

1upmuffin

Ok so I'm considering picking this up while it's on sale, but I have a few questions.

1. Is there still a good number of newer people on the server the NeoGAF guild is on to quest with at lower levels?

2. If I get it should I get the Heroic or Deluxe version?

3. Do Renown Hearts get more exciting at later levels? They seem kind of boring in the starting zones.

Lunar15

Ok so I'm considering picking this up while it's on sale, but I have a few questions.

1. Is there still a good number of newer people on the server the NeoGAF guild is on to quest with at lower levels?

3. Do Renown Hearts get more exciting at later levels? They seem kind of boring in the starting zones.

I am definitely not the best person to answer these questions, however I can give some help.

1. I just leveled up a new character and I didn't see too many people in the starting zones, however, keep in mind, everyone's down leveled to match the area they're in, so starting zones aren't as useless and empty as other games. Some areas, like Queensdale, the human starting zone, have a pretty high population thanks to the high amount of events that spawn there.

What's also nice is that you're very open to go explore other areas in this game. There's no hard lock to starting areas. I took my new character out to areas above her level and it provided an excellent, but not unbeatable challenge Also, you're free to go explore all the other race's starting zones right from the beginning. Game's pretty open about letting you go where you want and do what you want.

2. Not the person to answer this. I didn't see anything particularly attractive in either, though. I'd say go cheaper.

3. I was never a fan of the hearts. Dynamic events are really where I got most of my experience and most of the enjoyment out of the game. Higher level areas are fun because there's simply more dynamic events. Hearts are kind of like the filler in between dynamic events. However, it's completely possible to level up without doing many heart quests if you don't like them. On my second level up, I avoided hearts entirely. I just focused on exploration, (you can get a huge chunk of EXP from just finding points of interest and waypoints) crafting, and dynamic events. You can also flip over to WvW to get EXP at a decent rate, and you also get the benefit of being with a lot of people.

Ultimately, a lot of this comes down to the fact that this game eschews a lot of the standard "quest-to-exp" mechanics. In fact, when it does play that line, it's kind of boring. The game's greatest strength is that it gives you access to a lot of activities right from the start, and all of them give you a decent amount of character progression. Now's a good time to hop in too, since the halloween events are coming soon, and those are most likely not going to be level dependent.

1. People quest on low level areas all the time. There is no penalty for doing low level content at 80.

2. Heroic, maybe. You could just buy gems instead after buying a discounted standard version.

3. Renown hearts are more like guides toward content rather than the content itself. Focusing on events and exploring to find hidden stuff is the best way to play the pve game. There aren't even any hearts in the high level zones, just big meta events.

1upmuffin

1. People quest on low level areas all the time. There is no penalty for doing low level content at 80.

2. Heroic, maybe. You could just buy gems instead after buying a discounted standard version.

3. Renown hearts are more like guides toward content rather than the content itself. Focusing on events and exploring to find hidden stuff is the best way to play the pve game. There aren't even any hearts in the high level zones, just big meta events.

Are any of the items in the Heroic pack worthwhile? Most of them seem like one time use things.

Are any of the items in the Heroic pack worthwhile? Most of them seem like one time use things.
Took a quick look at the pack. Not much there other than the mithril box and armor. Probably best to just buy regular if it's cheaper. Buy gems if you want to pick up some nice things.

What I love about the game is that you can level effectively doing a lot of different things. When I say effectively I mean, having it not feel like a "grind" or slow. It takes time, but if you have tried other MMOs, it will feel fast.

So, cutting down a tree or building weapon via crafting or hopping in world versus world pvp all will give you GREAT experience points.

renown hearts is something they added for the world of warcraft folks. it's basically kill-10-of-these, get us a bunch of items over here, help put out the fire in the town etc. These are not the meat of the game, but simply something passively.

Some people make the mistake of basing their idea of the game around doing these. that is a mistake. the game really is about exploring. it really is about adventuring, and that means you are looking for the action.

Each race has it's own lvl 1-15 and 15-25 zones. all of these are quite populated even by higher levels who go back to complete them 100%(which includes the renowned hearts). people hunt champion monsters who can give great loot, as well as doing events.

Run around and do the events. you can do the hearts if you absolutely want to, but I think almost all people will get their pvp enjoyment out of the events. The hearts can become this OCD driven thing for people were they feel they need to do all the hearts on a map, and then they get bored. that's very sad, because it would be like playing the tutorial for a really great game, and then never moving on to the main game.

Heya, welcome to GW2. I don't know warriors so I don't really have specific advice. The thing is, at level 21 you should still mostly be focused on learning the core mechanics; dodging, positioning, trying your utility skills out, finding which weapon sets you like best. If an area you're in is crushing you, it might be best to just go check out another at or even below your level. It's not like other games where you can't possibly get anything out of going back to "newbie zones" once you've outgrown them. You can go explore one of the other race's 1-15 zone, for example, and get plenty of XP there if you haven't yet.

Put 10 into arms for the "Deep Strike" strike trait. Then equip a bunch of signets skills in your utility slots. At low level, with full signets, it'll give you close to 100% crit rate. As you level towards 80, it'll become less effective. "Signet Warriors" at 80 are frowned upon, but it's the best for leveling.

Get a greatsword in your main set, and then an Axe and a Warhorn to swap. Use the Warhorn to keep swiftness on you and your friends, and later on with Signet of rage you can keep Swiftness on yourself full time.

For any class, get +power on your gear. Everything else is mostly bleh. +Power/+Vit is great when its available. But don't buy greens on the tp at levels 10,20,30,40,50,etc. The prices on the TP are silly these days, especially for a new player. Aim for off levels instead if you must.

But chances are you'll get whatever green as a drop if you keep leveling off mobs/hearts. Its worth it to keep your weapons of choice upgraded every few levels, but you can slide on armor a lot more than people are willing to admit.

Low level food is dirt cheap on the trading post. Stock up on either power stuff or health regen. It also gives you a bit more xp per kill.
thank you!

Arkanius

Guys, my University and real life are starting to tighten my schedule up. Send help!

I was watching the WoodenPotatoes video about the Pre-Release GW2 and the Release-GW2...
We had an Arah zone with a dead Zhaitan! And with the mouth open, it looked explorable inside

Guys, my University and real life are starting to tighten my schedule up. Send help!

I was watching the WoodenPotatoes video about the Pre-Release GW2 and the Release-GW2...
We had an Arah zone with a dead Zhaitan! And with the mouth open, it looked explorable inside

Hope they bring that back someday. It looked really cool.

Ceres

Banned

As someone who owns the Deluxe, just buy the heroic edition. Unless you want to collect all minis, there's nothing in it particularly great. Golem banker although nice to have only lasts 5 days from first use and when you're in desperate need of a bank and don't want to pay for a trip to LA or another outpost, hopping into WvW is a free bank stop if your server can hold garrison/keep. Sign out to character screen while in WvW and when you log back in, you'll be wherever you were in the PvE world.

Gotta laugh, this pick up group failed to defend Magg 3 times in a row in CoF 2. I start watching them more carefully trying to work out why the flame legion are building up so much and no one seems to rally much. Warrior's got the rifle out, Mesmer is rocking the greatsword and the thief's going with dagger dagger. Uh guys is nothing hinting aoe weapons here? Not newbies either, all at least 2k achievement points.

Gotta laugh, this pick up group failed to defend Magg 3 times in a row in CoF 2. I start watching them more carefully trying to work out why the flame legion are building up so much and no one seems to rally much. Warrior's got the rifle out, Mesmer is rocking the greatsword and the thief's going with dagger dagger. Uh guys is nothing hinting aoe weapons here? Not newbies either, all at least 2k achievement points.
to be fair, dd is pretty much the only aoe melee thieves get. Warrior rifle is just lol. Mesmer GS has aoe and cc, so that makes some sense at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom