• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcteryx

I'm interested in seeing if the expensive weapon drops are still there in the mini-dungeon, as well as the Skeleton Lord/Mr Candy Man. Doubt I'll be partaking in the rest of the activities though.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Blood and madness is making me think of something like a menstrual cycle. :x
ArenaNet's insidious metaphors revealed! D:
Was there any indication last Halloween that his son didn't like him very much?
Not any specific mention of Edrick, but the Mad King killed his father too. He had 8 wives, I certainly doubt that this was the only one.

edit: Yay @ (hopefully) easy to get 20-slot bags.

Proven

Looks like Thorn's boy took over parts of the Labyrinth. Seems pissed. I wonder if the Mad King himself will be mostly absent, or maybe trapped until the end.

Official page still isn't up yet but the haunted doors, labyrinth, clock tower, and Lunatic Inquisition (pvp minigame, a complete blast if you hadn't tried it) are confirmed to be returning.

Handful of themed rewards of course including a Candy Corn perma node for you home instance (lol, Tyrian dental work skyrockets)

I'm actually most psyched for the combat/skill changes. This feels a lot like some of the GW1 skill balance patches where they tweaked underlying systems in the same patch as changes to skills, and I remember those feeling really good.

I do want to know what a Grand High Viscount of Candy Corn can do, ha

Oh I get it, Blood and Madness, the Bloody Prince vs. the Mad King. Hope we can expect some kind of showdown.

edit: Lol, I think Candy Corn speculation is happening. Watch the market if you have some stockpiled (cleared them out of my inventory in the summer sometime :p)
Wait, the Lunatic Inquisition returns but not the fake-DOTA-that-I-actually-liked-more-than-DOTA mode won't be? Come on, ANet!

Actually, looking back Halloween last year was an abnormality just because it had two pvp minigames instead of one. The only other update that did that was the election update.
Wonder if Candy Corn is spiking already.

Edit: Yup. http://www.gw2spidy.com/item/36041

Great! I have a bunch of Candy Corn that I saved up so I could later make the special weapons for me and some friends. I never did end up using them, because I got tired of collecting the lodestones and dungeon tokens. The only issue now is that all the stuff is on the Stormbluff Isle version of the guild bank!

Rumble of the Reaper or Reaper Rumble or something like that. It was the only MOBA style game I've ever enjoyed and it's a mini game in an MMO!

Proven

Rumble of the Reaper or Reaper Rumble or something like that. It was the only MOBA style game I've ever enjoyed and it's a mini game in an MMO!

It was the first one I enjoyed after everything that happened with Monday Night Combat to Super Monday Night Combat. That said, I really should grab some friends and try Awesomenauts some day. I hear good things about it.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Wait, the Lunatic Inquisition returns but not the fake-DOTA-that-I-actually-liked-more-than-DOTA mode won't be? Come on, ANet!
Oddly enough there is no mention of Reaper's Rumble, yeah. Surprised, maybe it wasn't so popular? Full disclosure, I tried it twice and got my face punched in and didn't touch it again :( I don't think MOBAs are my thing.

edit: Awesomenauts does look kind of.. awesome. I think the view orientation is just a lot less overwhelming to me. Haven't tried it though.

Great! I have a bunch of Candy Corn that I saved up so I could later make the special weapons for me and some friends. I never did end up using them, because I got tired of collecting the lodestones and dungeon tokens. The only issue now is that all the stuff is on the Stormbluff Isle version of the guild bank!
Uhrrrrm... huh. Well if it's still there to this day and you tell us what it was we can possibly retrieve it for you.

The official page is up, but certainly lacks any unexpected details. I like the art:
2bb1dbanner.png
They're really fond of the "come at me bro" emote aren't they?

The question is what the storyline/added content regarding Edrick will be, they don't describe it whatsoever. I would personally be very happy with a simple dungeon like Ascent to Madness. Must have done that run like 35 times.

Lunar15

For some reason, I missed that entirely last year. I wasn't in the guild back then, mind you.

I'd be really surprised if it didn't return though.

Looking forward to the fresh batch of JP rage as well. Wonder if they'll normalize character size this year or let the Char/Norn trolling continue on in a tradition...

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hey I made it to the top of that mamma jamma twice with half of it looking at my character completely tucked inside some clumsy Charr. There's no crying in Clock Tower dammit!

Lunar15

Norn superiority confirmed. Honestly, if the Norn and the Charr teamed up, there's nothing the other races could really do to stop them.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Forgot to mention, I led a full newbie-squad through the TA aetherpath yesterday. It took a long time (sorry I was not able to get out in time to do TA story with Aodh/Ceres), but ultimately it was a lot of fun, especially because it was after the whiniest person left and we got a replacement that we beat the Clockheart on the first attempt with the new team, and because one of the 3 that had never made it to him before was convinced the fight was completely impossible after our third wipe. Loved watching them improve and get more aware of the shield and the arena, and with a good team that fight is really quite satisfying.

Strategy-wise, once you understand his tells, it's definitely worth it to stay close and wail on him any time the shield is down, then roll out as soon as he starts the (very noticeable) animation to put it back up in order to pull the holo over to him.

Forgot to mention, I led a full newbie-squad through the TA aetherpath yesterday. It took a long time (sorry I was not able to get out in time to do TA story with Aodh/Ceres), but ultimately it was a lot of fun, especially because it was after the whiniest person left and we got a replacement that we beat the Clockheart on the first attempt with the new team, and because one of the 3 that had never made it to him before was convinced the fight was completely impossible after our third wipe. Loved watching them improve and get more aware of the shield and the arena, and with a good team that fight is really quite satisfying.

Strategy-wise, once you understand his tells, it's definitely worth it to stay close and wail on him any time the shield is down, then roll out as soon as he starts the (very noticeable) animation to put it back up in order to pull the holo over to him.

Yeah also it is absolutely possible for an organized team to constantly interrupt the shield animation if they are able to take down the Defiant stats quick enough. and know to not use snares/interrupts if Defiant is down so you can wait for him to lift his arms up and interrupt him.

Reaper's Rumble I only tried a couple of times. It was alright, it didn't leave any impression on me so I do not care that it isn't back. I fell the same for Lunatic Inquisition but I'll probably play it enough to get whatever achievements become available.

So the armor on that necro screenshot from the official site is not a new armor right?

Levyne

Banned
I need to play this game less. I've become obssessed and it's affecting me negatively. In game and in real life. My brother has become legitmately worried. His questions have escalated from "will you ever play another video game" to "will you ever do anything else?" This hit me quite hard, hence the upcoming post.

It's a tough, cringe-worthy, and exceedingly embarrassing thing to admit, especially when the topic at hand is something as inane as a video game.

And here it is in public, amongst strangers. I think it'll help me commit to changing. I feel some need to "put it out there", though. I don't know why. Probably no one cares. Maybe no one should.

The goal isn't to quit, but just to employ some (heavy) moderation. I don't need to chase acheivement points obsessively. I don't need to gather fake currency obsessively. I don't need to constantly compare my fake fucking avatar to every other person and strive to always be equal or better. I did this in GW1 and promised myself I wouldn't do it again, but here I am.

Getting involved in WvW over the last several months has been a nice change of pace, but it has almost made things worse as I find myself wanting to dedicate more overall time to even more facets of the game, like substituting out dessert for some exercise, but then going back for dessert anyways. Maybe that makes sone sense. Probably it doesn't.

If you have seen less of me and continue to, it's just me trying to reevaluate my priorities. I will still pop in to experience the living story updates, but I'm just not going to obsess over them. I will still run wvw with TE, just going to try to not make it a daily appointment. I'll do the usual dungeons, pve, guild events, but just less often.

I do enjoy, for the most part, the community GAF has built in and out of game and even though it is just invented screennames/handles behind cartoon avatars, I consider many of you "friends". I'm sorry if I've been more abrasive or aloof recently (if anyone's even noticed), I really am. I feel like I've been a lot more of an asshole, and there was no call for it.

I'm LevyneGAF on steam if anyone wants to add me. I enjoy chatting with you guys and, who knows, maybe we can meet up in a game outside gw2 :p

I'll pop back in in a few days. I know that seems low but for me it's quite a departure. Definitely going to try to keep wvw reset and guild mission nights a weekly thing.

I think I'll finally play some other games I've been sitting on in the meantime.

-Levyne

Take care of yourself Levyne.

Try to find something outside of games to keep busy with.

On your time off, I want you to go out there and find a nice lady for yourself to keep you company who can nag you when you play too much. It is very effective especially if you like them and get sad when they make a pouty face because you play too much.

I need to play this game less. I've become obssessed and it's affecting me negatively. In game and in real life. My brother has become legitmately worried. His questions have escalated from "will you ever play another video game" to "will you ever do anything else?" This hit me quite hard, hence the upcoming post.

It's a tough, cringe-worthy, and exceedingly embarrassing thing to admit, especially when the topic at hand is something as inane as a video game.

And here it is in public, amongst strangers. I think it'll help me commit to changing. I feel some need to "put it out there", though. I don't know why. Probably no one cares. Maybe no one should.

The goal isn't to quit, but just to employ some (heavy) moderation. I don't need to chase acheivement points obsessively. I don't need to gather fake currency obsessively. I don't need to constantly compare my fake fucking avatar to every other person and strive to always be equal or better. I did this in GW1 and promised myself I wouldn't do it again, but here I am.

Getting involved in WvW over the last several months has been a nice change of pace, but it has almost made things worse as I find myself wanting to dedicate more overall time to even more facets of the game, like substituting out dessert for some exercise, but then going back for dessert anyways. Maybe that makes sone sense. Probably it doesn't.

If you have seen less of me and continue to, it's just me trying to reevaluate my priorities. I will still pop in to experience the living story updates, but I'm just not going to obsess over them. I will still run wvw with TE, just going to try to not make it a daily appointment. I'll do the usual dungeons, pve, guild events, but just less often.

I do enjoy, for the most part, the community GAF has built in and out of game and even though it is just invented screennames/handles behind cartoon avatars, I consider many of you "friends". I'm sorry if I've been more abrasive or aloof recently (if anyone's even noticed), I really am. I feel like I've been a lot more of an asshole, and there was no call for it.

I'm LevyneGAF on steam if anyone wants to add me. I enjoy chatting with you guys and, who knows, maybe we can meet up in a game outside gw2 :p

I'll pop back in in a few days. I know that seems low but for me it's quite a departure. Definitely going to try to keep wvw reset and guild mission nights a weekly thing.

I think I'll finally play some other games I've been sitting on in the meantime.

-Levyne

you got 2 legendaries, I think you've done enough in the game to warrant a break haha.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yeah also it is absolutely possible for an organized team to constantly interrupt the shield animation if they are able to take down the Defiant stats quick enough. and know to not use snares/interrupts if Defiant is down so you can wait for him to lift his arms up and interrupt him.
Totally right, he only gets 5 stacks per time. I did it myself a few times (Head Shot is amazing) but the group wasn't coordinated for it. But yeah, like Colossus Rumblus, a group can just own him by really organizing interrupts.

-Levyne
Take it easy, man. Don't get down on yourself for becoming aware of a compulsion, you've already won half the battle just acknowledging that it's having a negative effect at all. I think you're definitely on the bullseye in aiming for a less-stress and more casual approach and certainly no one's going to think badly of you for even a second if you just take a full break for a while. You've contributed enormously to the guild, our server, the community and just the game as a whole. I certainly don't think you've been anything like an asshole lately and you'll always have friends here.

I did chuckle at the little "how many legendaries?" sequence above, hah.

I'll add ya on Steam. I'm also Hawkian on PSN and I just bought Dragon's Crown last night if that happens to come across your radar :p

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Havent played in a while (mainly because none of my friends do) anyone on far shiverpeaks got a guild I could join? I'm a causal player

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hi Lashley! Unfortunately, since FSP is an EU guild, I can't just toss you an invite to ours. Because of Guesting, it's the region and not the individual server that matters (especially for casual play). Maybe someone else in here has an EU guild that you can hop onto.

If not, and you're interested in making the jump, GAFGuild has an Immigration Fund we contribute to in order to bring folks like you across the pond. If you're interested, make an account on www.gafguild.com and follow the simple requirements in this thread: http://gafguild.com/index.php?threads/stormbluff-isle-immigration-fund.312/

xeris

-Levyne

I totally understand. I've had friends deep into MMO addiction and it's not a pretty or healthy thing. I'll miss your /vomit but real life always comes first.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I can create a new character on a new server to join, doesn't really bother me
Your home world is chosen for your account; you can't make individual characters on different servers. If you mean you're willing to start from scratch, by all means jump into Stormbluff Isle.

Lunar15

Not to be self-centric, but I've had the same exact thoughts Levyne. There definitely has been a negative effect on my life due to the game, and therefore I've been trying to take longer and more frequent breaks. I usually run the new update stuff once or twice, then I force myself to stay away until the next update.

Lashley

Your home world is chosen for your account; you can't make individual characters on different servers. If you mean you're willing to start from scratch, by all means jump into Stormbluff Isle.

Ah damn, I could transfer for 1.8k gems, dont know how much that is

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Ah damn, I could transfer for 1.8k gems, dont know how much that is
Yeah, we have a transfer fund to try to take care of the fees communally. If you're interested, go ahead and post in that thread, and post a character or account name so that we can get you into the guild. :)

What started out as an awesome casual MMO concept back in beta now turned into a somewhat "hardcore" (as in time commitment) game with the revamped dailies/monthlies compared to launch, daily dragon chests, daily dungeon tokens, ascended grind, non-permanent content completion, ~1 hour invasions, ~2 hour SAB zones, etc etc etc.

If you played during beta and early launch, you probably know what I mean.

It's still the best MMO gameplay-wise, but the design point from the original casual manifesto has changed no matter what people say.

Levyne

Banned
It started out that I just needed to get my laurel each day. It got a whole lot worse from there to complete point chasing and filling every bar. Achievement chests made it worse (not blaming the game).

I actually jumped out of WvW yesterday so I could finish my pvp daily before I forgot or had to go to bed.

The absurdity of that thought was the breaking point.

Lashley

Yeah, we have a transfer fund to try to take care of the fees communally. If you're interested, go ahead and post in that thread, and post a character or account name so that we can get you into the guild. :)

will do thanks

Retro

It's still the best MMO gameplay-wise, but the design point from the original casual manifesto has changed no matter what people say.

I'm gonna have to disagree: it's only become Hardcore if you consider obligated to do EVERYTHING.

There's a lot to do in this game, made for the various types of gamers with their varied tastes and play styles. More than one person is able to do on a regular basis. It doesn't surprise me that someone who tried to do everything would burn out.

Is there a link somewhere detailing what the balance changes are going to be in the next patch? I'm kind of curious to see it. Last time my warrior got balanced I forgot about it and ran around for a week without any trait points used lol.

What started out as an awesome casual MMO concept back in beta now turned into a somewhat "hardcore" (as in time commitment) game with the revamped dailies/monthlies compared to launch, daily dragon chests, daily dungeon tokens, ascended grind, non-permanent content completion, ~1 hour invasions, ~2 hour SAB zones, etc etc etc.

If you played during beta and early launch, you probably know what I mean.

That's a fair assessment IMO, as far as it relates to me. I've noticed that I'm putting a lot more time into it, chasing the carrot on the stick a lot more. I thought it was just because I pretty much gave up on other games for a while to play this almost exclusively (given my time constraints). Maybe I decided to do it because of the change? It's definitely a personal thing though. Some of my friends are fine still playing 2 or 3 hours per week.

It started out that I just needed to get my laurel each day. It got a whole lot worse from there to complete point chasing and filling every bar. Achievement chests made it worse (not blaming the game).

I actually jumped out of WvW yesterday so I could finish my pvp daily before I forgot or had to go to bed.

The absurdity of that thought was the breaking point.

That first part sounds familiar to what I'm doing. I just wanted my laurel every day 6 weeks or so ago. Then I wanted the laurel and to take down a few champs. Now I'm looking at the laurel, champions, and PVP daily, in part because I want that next achievement chest. I've said to my wife a few (maybe a few more than a few..) times, "I just need 15 more minutes to finish up this daily." Luckily for me, my wife and kids will just attack me if I get out of control with it. I mean that literally too. They'll just jump on me on the damn chair and take me down. Except for the baby. She'll just yell.

Lunar15

I told myself early that i wouldn't give a crap about achievements or dailies, and I'm glad I did. Too many people obsess over them.

But that's one great thing about GW2 is that the game does not revolve around these things. There's been plenty for me to do without caring about any of that stuff.

Yeah, you don't have to do anything you don't feel like in it and you can still feel like you're part of the world. Actually...my main reason for doing dailies was that I wanted ascended gear and I don't like fractals, which kind of proves that point in a way.

Trey

I'm gonna have to disagree: it's only become Hardcore if you consider obligated to do EVERYTHING.

There's a lot to do in this game, made for the various types of gamers with their varied tastes and play styles. More than one person is able to do on a regular basis. It doesn't surprise me that someone who tried to do everything would burn out.

Add me too this boat.

It's a game designed to reward you for literally everything you do, so you get out if it exactly what you put into it.

Retro

They still could've easily toned it down considerably, and keep it on par to what we (or I) had played/seen back at launch and during beta.

The thing is, you're assuming every piece of content is intended for everyone, when in fact they're just different options, intended for different play styles. MMOs are big games with big audiences that want a variety of things, maybe moreso than any other genre. All ArenaNet has done is added different routes of progression.

For example; dailies are the slow, casual approach; log in once in a while and do 5 things and you'll get a currency that eventually adds up to loot. Fractals are for a more challenge-oriented player. Crafting covers a whole slew of bases, from JPs to WvW to champion hunting. They all inevitably lead towards ascended gear, but at different paces, levels of difficulty and end results.

I think if you consider all of those things as mandatory, you are setting yourself up for burnout because eventually there will be more paths of progression than there are hours in a day. It's already pretty obvious that you can't WvW, PVE and sPVP effectively without one or the other suffering. That will only get worse as they add to the game. Things like more Guild Missions, Guild vs. Guild, their answer to Raiding, world events like the Invasions, etc. are only going to create more content than you can process, even if you play 23 hours out of the day.

MMOs invariably grow larger as they try to cater to more and more playstyles. What you're asking for back at launch/beta wasn't including a lot of players' tastes or play styles. I think if you go back to the OT1 or even early OT2, you'd likely see a lot of people saying "Why do I have to do x?" or "I wish this game let me do y", or my favorite "This game has no endgame because it doesn't let me do z". Those are the people that the expanded progression is intended for. We're constantly saying that GW2 rewards people for just about everything they do; I think assuming you have to do everything to maximize your rewards is an unhealthy way of playing. I mean, you don't walk into Baskin Robins and ask for all 31 flavors; you have the flavors you like regularly, and maybe try something new to see if it's good... but by offering 31 flavors I don't think they intend for you to have them all at once. That'd probably end with you in a coma.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom