• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sometimes PUGs are an amazing reminder that so many people have absolutely know idea how to use their own abilities usefully. PUG 3 thieves in a CoF 3 attempt couldn't keep black powder on a group of enemies more than a quarter of the time between all three of them no matter how much I tried to help them realize how useful it is.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Earlier today I was in the SBI overflow that tried to kill Tequatl. Surprisingly we had only like 10% left for a very unorganized effort. Though it was interesting watching the shitstorm and blame game that occurred after event failure.

When does gaf run Taco? I was removed for inactivity from the guild but that's to be expected. I don't really want a guild invite if you guys are full and I most likely will not be on consistently.
SBI runs an organized one right after reset. Something went wacky yesterday and I guess he bugged out, but typically it goes really well. I was on the overflow with Arkanius and we crushed it :p

You are welcome to join again if you like. We're nearing the cap but have no requirements or expectations for activity.
I usually kill Badazars champion alone in Plains of Ashford
Fun to solo, he's like babby's first champion.

If I'm completely honest, the fact that this is the third living story update in a row with nothing for me in it irks me somewhat.

I'm really hoping the incoming return of the Mad King will resolve this.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
What do you want out of this game that you aren't getting?
Welp I know he doesn't care about SAB, finds large-scale open world bosses tedious, and one can surmise doesn't like dungeons, the three major areas covered by the last 3 updates. Just so happened three things he doesn't enjoy were focused on in a row.

Bound to occur every now and then, really.

Welp I know he doesn't care about SAB, finds large-scale open world bosses tedious, and one can surmise doesn't like dungeons, the three major areas covered by the last 3 updates. Just so happened three things he doesn't enjoy were focused on in a row.

SAB 2 wasn't really my thing, but the other two recent updates were great IMO. Could use some better storytelling, though. It might be coherent and make sense to the authors but when an audience doesn't have much of a clue what the hell is going on, they aren't going to be engaged in the story. An unengaged audience is about as good as not having an audience at all.

Anet, use more conventional storytelling techniques, kthx.

I hope ANET releases a living story that actually answers questions. I don't think every living story needs cliffhangers or unanswered questions.

Most recently, scarlet knowing some secret about Caithe which I think the way things are going will never get explained or will end up being nothing.

I'm more more convinced that the story is being created around cool art or feature that has been created, rather than creating art and features to fit the story, which is why the story is so disjointed.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Noisy Ninj4 said:
SAB 2 wasn't really my thing, but the other two recent updates were great IMO. Could use some better storytelling, though. It might be coherent and make sense to the authors but when an audience doesn't have much of a clue what the hell is going on, they aren't going to be engaged in the story. An unengaged audience is about as good as not having an audience at all.

Anet, use more conventional storytelling techniques, kthx.
Well like I said, he said "nothing for me in it" which is more or less an aversion to the kinds of content the most recent 3 releases focused upon, quality notwithstanding. I liked all of them personally and actually wish I had a teeny bit more time to poke around the Box, but I'm in a minority there. :) I am certainly glad that Miya's clothing is no longer gunking up my inventory.

And Kos,

That secret better get explained. It wasn't just an offhand line of dialogue, there's a freaking achievement tied to it. Such a tease.

And Kos,

That secret better get explained. It wasn't just an offhand line of dialogue, there's a freaking achievement tied to it. Such a tease.

I didn't get that achievement yet, are you you telling me there is nothing in that room that explains what she knows?

Lunar15

Wait so, in the past 3 living story updates, we had new open world events, new achievements, changes to WvW, SAB update, changes to most world bosses, and a new dungeon path. I feel like all bases were covered here.

What is it that you're looking for, PvP content? Not trying to be rude here, just legitimately asking what you were looking for.

It's true I forgot about the Borderlands changes which were pretty neat, but not actually part of the Living story.

That aside.

SAB: Meh.
Taco: Meh.
New TA path: Meh.

Basically this:

It's just bad luck. I'm looking forward to the Mad King stuff because I loved the shit out of that last time around.

I'm just having a really bad day and grumping. I'll shut up now.

Levyne

Banned
Sab: Meh, though I enjoyed it more than I didn't.

Taco: Fun but I think I've enjoyed the feast. Was insanely exhilarating to defeat him the first time and few times after. Going from barely nicking his health to 75% to wondering if SBi would ever beat him to 50% to 24% to skin of our teeth to near certain success on a daily basis has been quite the exciting progression to be involved in. But, gonna do that sparingly now, kills a lot of time.

TA: Haven't dabbled in much. Fun but I don't want to burn out by simply repeating over and over until I fill all the bars. I'll work on it slowly. Not being timed to the LS window for those makes me less motivated to do them. I'll go with gaffers I really like for the comradery and general social-nature of a familiar dungeon group rather than wanting to do the path in a vacuum.

Lunar15

But what else is there? Other than dungeons, world bosses, WvW, and PvP?

Heck, there was even new crafting stuff to do. I mean, I'm in the same boat as Levyne: I've mainly just done the new stuff once or twice and then I check out for two weeks. But still, I feel like all the content spots are being covered.

Once again, not calling you out or being a dick (at least I hope i'm not). I've had my share of updates where I've checked out completely with one big "meh." Namely updates that focus on mini games, tedious achievements, and jumping puzzles. Ironically, these are usually the holiday updates, which is what you're waiting for. XD

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
But what else is there? Other than dungeons, world bosses, WvW, and PvP?

Heck, there was even new crafting stuff to do. I mean, I'm in the same boat as Levyne: I've mainly just done the new stuff once or twice and then I check out for two weeks. But still, I feel like all the content spots are being covered.
Storyline instances, open-world quests and events that are not bosses, jumping puzzles, new zones, minigames, guild missions, and "stuff we haven't had yet." No clue which or if any of these fall under the category of things he enjoys, just fleshing out the list with the areas that were not mentioned and not touched by the updates in question
Once again, not calling you out or being a dick (at least I hope i'm not). I've had my share of updates where I've checked out completely with one big "meh." Namely updates that focus on mini games, tedious achievements, and jumping puzzles. Ironically, these are usually the holiday updates, which is what you're waiting for. XD
I think we can filter out tedious achievements as by nature I cannot imagine something already guaranteed to be tedious as something anyone would enjoy but otherwise I think you have put your finger on the button. It would appear that you like different kinds of fruit.

Lunar15

Storyline instances, open-world quests and events that are not bosses, jumping puzzles, new zones, minigames, guild missions, and "stuff we haven't had yet." No clue which or if any of these fall under the category of things he enjoys, just fleshing out the list with the areas that were not mentioned and not touched by the updates in question

I think we can filter out tedious achievements as by nature I cannot imagine something already guaranteed to be tedious as something anyone would enjoy but otherwise I think you have put your finger on the button. It would appear that you like different kinds of fruit.

I think really when I refer to tedious achievements, I'm only referring to that one time there was that achievement for bashing all those pinatas and launching all those fireworks. Other than that, I have no issue with achievements. Thankfully, they haven't really done anything like that since.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hah, yeah, I didn't do any of those. Hell I didn't find all the Dragon's teeth this last time around. Had to drag my ass to get the snow-covered objects when that was what living story was back in January.

Outside of those (which have become gleefully unnecessary for full rewards over time), I tend to enjoy the achievements, most likely because I actually look at them like they're achievements. The new TA ones strike me as particularly good.

A lot of previous living story updates have had:

World events (discounting Taco because of the waiting around/organisational bar to entry). They've been pretty much completely absent.

Fun minigames.

An element of world exploration (again, Taco sort of had this but only in the most tedious way possible).

Thinking about how I play, I really don't treat the Living Story as "the main game" but fun, ever-changing diversions. This is probably my failing tbh.

Lunar15

I dont think anything a game does can be your failing. Just doesn't resonate.

Also, i totally get where you're coming from now. I too could go for a healthy dose of world exploration. It is honestly the biggest drawback to a living story.

In terms of world events, we did get the Scarlet invasions within the last 3 updates.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
The Scarlet Invasions were 4 updates ago!

But yeah, it's not a failing to perceive the living story updates that way. I mean, for one thing, as we're discussing now, sometimes they're going to focus on content TYPES that you just don't enjoy. For another, they vary quite widly in size and scope, so you never really know meaty an update will be and if you look at them as the "main game" with everything else a side feature, you're gonna have a bad time.

For my part, I guess I consider everything that is explicitly not a minigame as part of "the main game." So there's a lot of overlap back and forth with Living World releases. Sanctum Sprint no, but exploring Labyrinthine Cliffs and hunting for Sky Crystals yes. Survival and Aspect Arena no, but Candidate Trials yes. SAB no all around; the last two updates, yes all around.

xeris

Having not done the new TA yet, could it just be that she just knows what you find out around level 40 or so with the pale tree PS instance? Considering the people involved in both old and new TA I was making that assumption.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Having not done the new TA yet, could it just be that she just knows what you find out around level 40 or so with the pale tree PS instance? Considering the people involved in both old and new TA I was making that assumption.
I'm gonna go with no, mainly because I don't remember what you're talking about.

edit: If you try and press Caithe for it in the dungeon, she's all "I'm sorry, I can't reveal that just yet"

Lunar15

The Scarlet Invasions were 4 updates ago!

But yeah, it's not a failing to perceive the living story updates that way. I mean, for one thing, as we're discussing now, sometimes they're going to focus on content TYPES that you just don't enjoy. For another, they vary quite widly in size and scope, so you never really know meaty an update will be and if you look at them as the "main game" with everything else a side feature, you're gonna have a bad time.

For my part, I guess I consider everything that is explicitly not a minigame as part of "the main game." So there's a lot of overlap back and forth with Living World releases. Sanctum Sprint no, but exploring Labyrinthine Cliffs and hunting for Sky Crystals yes. Survival and Aspect Arena no, but Candidate Trials yes. SAB no all around; the last two updates, yes all around.

Wait. Ohhhh, For some reason I bundled the two September updates together. This is because I too pretty much entirely dismissed the SAB update.

Anyone ready for the living story to give us access to new areas?

- That zone between Bloodtide and Timberline
- A zone east of Mount Maelstrom
- Dominion of Winds

I love the exploring aspect of the game and getting to go to new areas of the map that are currently not accessible. I agree with WoodenPoes new QA video, where he says that he wishes ANET use the Living Story to give us access to zones around the continent of Tyria before deciding to move us to another continent.

Ashodin

So this update was pretty OK for me. A new dungeon path, yeah it's cool, yeah the story is awesome, yeah the challenge is great, but I'm kinda meh on it because there isn't much to do outside of the dungeon path. Yeah you can gather keys, but then you have to run the path.

I'm much more interested in the next update purely for balance changes. The changes to Purging Flames and Hallowed Ground are going to make me shake up my build, I think.

Proven

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...5044094208.103264.114036714208&type=3&theater

Server Transfer Price Reduction available until Oct 17th

Medium Pop = Free Transfer
High Pop = Discounted to 800 gems
Very High = Stays the same at 1800 Gems

I think I've finally gotten onto the bandwagon stating that server transfers should be at a price set ever week based on WvW ranking. Sorry.

One of the Medium populated servers in the Euro bracket is in the top 3. Or was as of this morning; haven't checked since.

Ashodin

Dungeons are my favorite, so I'm perfectly fine if that's all they add.

They're one of mine too, I just get feelings like they could have added more, and in fact, Colin was stated saying that releases would be more and more meaty, when in fact, the last two have been dearth of anything outside of one specific update.

I'd like to throw you back to previous updates where we got:

• New Jumping Puzzles
  • New Mini-Areas built into existing areas
  • Living Story
  • New items
  • World Events (like boxes to break etc)

With Tequatl, it was just him, and some really weak scavenger hunts (which ArenaNet seems to love for some reason). Previously done right scavenger hunts include lore at the location (see: Molten Alliance agent), or interesting mechanics to find (see: using a radar to "ping" the location).

With Twilight Assault, it's just the dungeon. Yeah they added a whole category of weapons that drop, but they're RNG. I thought we were past the idea of just adding only RNG ways to get weapons in the game. Including them on the vendor for TA list with a substantially higher token cost would have been ace.

xeris

I'm gonna go with no, mainly because I don't remember what you're talking about.

edit: If you try and press Caithe for it in the dungeon, she's all "I'm sorry, I can't reveal that just yet"

You find out that Caithe was the lover of the main baddie in TA, Faolain, who was also the head of the nightmare court. In the PS where you see into a possible future you can stick around to hear the shades of Destiny's Edge give up and/or bitch at each other. Caithe tells Faolain that since the end times are there, she'll fall to nightmare so she can spend the last days in Faolain's arms.
Not sure how widely known that is to other sylvari. If it's a big secret, that could be it. Sorta hoping it is just to tie up that little plot thread a bit.

Ashodin

You find out that Caithe was the lover of the main baddie in TA, Faolain, who was also the head of the nightmare court. In the PS where you see into a possible future you can stick around to hear the shades of Destiny's Edge give up and/or bitch at each other. Caithe tells Faolain that since the end times are there, she'll fall to nightmare so she can spend the last days in Faolain's arms.
Not sure how widely known that is to other sylvari. If it's a big secret, that could be it. Sorta hoping it is just to tie up that little plot thread a bit.

Oh shit I remember that. That just might be what Scarlet refers to. She did see pretty much everything, apparently, even possible futures.

Proven

It doesn't sound like the right kind of important secret.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom