• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashodin

UrlDcpq.jpg

That's the monster from the GW2 trailer we never saw. Welp.

S7rEdYv.jpg

Why hello there asshole.

Proven

Q&A with Devon Carver (Lead WvW guy)

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/473/view/forums/thread/397784/page/1

Read the posts with the green part on the left. Lots of info in there about what they're working on right now.

I wouldn't say that. There are some explanations and reasons given out, which I'm thankful for, but everything else is pretty much "we hear the things you're complaining about, we agree that they're a problem and have been looking in to fixing it, so we'll get back to you soon."

There should be WvW rewards based on point spreads. Like if the rankings predict a one sided matchup the underdog world might be assigned a target of 100k points to beat the spread and get bonus rewards while the favored world has to try for over 300k. So even if you're losing the matchup hey at least you can still get out there and try to beat the spread.

Proven

There should be WvW rewards based on point spreads. Like if the rankings predict a one sided matchup the underdog world might be assigned a target of 100k points to beat the spread and get bonus rewards while the favored world has to try for over 300k. So even if you're losing the matchup hey at least you can still get out there and try to beat the spread.

This doesn't sound like a horrible idea actually. It mostly needs the meta-achievement tracker that they're using for the WvW leagues. The only issues I see would be deciding the point amounts to win and the fact that, in a sense, you're still trying to solve the problem by showering the players with loot.

I am really excited about Season 1, but how are they even going to address the over population problem? Add to that, I have experienced so much lag lately. It really hurts the combat because GW2 is dependent on twitch responses. Skill lags makes the game a lot less fun! Lag is not fun in any game, but in GW is it even more crucial than normally!

markot

Banned
Sylvari are dissapointing. They're just humans in a new skin. Boring.

Norn, human and sylvari all have the same animations.

Putting leafs on humans isn't that great really. They should have gone all out and made them more planty, more unique.

That's why asura and charr are the only good races.

leng jai

Putting leafs on humans isn't that great really. They should have gone all out and made them more planty, more unique.

The disparity in effort put into Asura animations and compared to every other class is hilarious.

markot

Banned
I love the dizzy animation you get after you do a Spinny move.

But yeah, its why all my characters are asura. And male. I just love their voice and the lines they say in combat.

I can't stand 'this rose has thorns'...

Proven

From an aesthetic standpoint, I agree. When you add in lore and personalities, then Charr become the one true race that doesn't make you want to kick a character in the teeth.

Hedge

I love the current Sylvary, sue me.
I love my sallads.

Way better than Animu girls with leafs as hair

Aye. Also, previous sylvari looked more like elves than anything leafy. Salad people today look radically different than what is usually out there.

Lunar15

From an aesthetic standpoint, I agree. When you add in lore and personalities, then Charr become the one true race that doesn't make you want to kick a character in the teeth.

Huh, I've always found that this is one of the few games where I actually like every single race. I think they're all pretty fascinating in their own right. No stinkers in the bunch.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I like some of the sylvari designs in game a lot and some not at all, but I don't think the "young elves with leaves" look would have been appropriate.

The fact that they're young as a species would be an inexplicable reason to have each full-grown member of the race look young. They're childlike in personality terms, but it's actually kind of a significant part of their lore that they spring into existence fully mature individuals, and show no signs of aging over time.

I do like all the races a lot with the exception of motherfucking humans. We have no redeeming qualities in the GW2 universe as far as I'm concerned, other than the ability to throw a decent party (which the Norn are way better at anyway).
Yep, I agree. I'd say that in-world ambient dialogue is pretty great, though.
I'd say some of the events have pretty interesting self-contained stories as well, and there are lots of little bits of lore you can put together from clues in the environment even if there's no ambient dialogue or events present. Actually everything besides the mainline presented story meant to be followed is all quite good. But nostalgia goggles aside this is exactly the way it was in GW1 so it's no real surprise.

Lunar15

I greatly enjoy the lore of the humans. They have all the previous lore from GW1, and I think the "backed into a corner" angle works really well. I think it makes the more interesting than other humans in other games. I like that they're not the "newcomer" race in this iteration. But in game? Snooze fest. This goes for most races though, so it's not really human specific.

A Norn and a Charr (Braham and Rox) were a good combination, but I really would have loved an Asura/Norn combo. Brains and Brawn, as they say. Plus we just need more Asura that aren't complete assholes. I know they're supposed to be arrogant, but it's kind of outrageous sometimes.We also need Evon Gnashblade to be more involved in story stuff. I think he's pretty great, honestly. Just underutilized.

Also, I'm dying for some big Norn festival. It'd be great! A really big Moot or a new Great Hunt or something. They could have a bunch of Skaalds come down and tell some interesting side stories. There's fun stuff they could do with the lore there. Plus maybe a Keg Brawl championship to incite some interest in that mini-game. Norn are party animals (literally), so it's shocking to me that they didn't get a single holiday.

Proven

I greatly enjoy the lore of the humans. They have all the previous lore from GW1, and I think the "backed into a corner" angle works really well. I think it makes the more interesting than other humans in other games. I like that they're not the "newcomer" race in this iteration. But in game? Snooze fest. This goes for most races though, so it's not really human specific.

A Norn and a Charr (Braham and Rox) were a good combination, but I really would have loved an Asura/Norn combo. Brains and Brawn, as they say. Plus we just need more Asura that aren't complete assholes. I know they're supposed to be arrogant, but it's kind of outrageous sometimes.We also need Evon Gnashblade to be more involved in story stuff. I think he's pretty great, honestly. Just underutilized.

Also, I'm dying for some big Norn festival. It'd be great! A really big Moot or a new Great Hunt or something. They could have a bunch of Skaalds come down and tell some interesting side stories. There's fun stuff they could do with the lore there. Plus maybe a Keg Brawl championship to incite some interest in that mini-game. Norn are party animals (literally), so it's shocking to me that they didn't get a single holiday.

Reading the novels has given me more appreciation for Asura that don't act completely like every other Asura, thanks for reminding me. It also reminded me that I can enjoy pretty much any Asura combo except for with Norn. Their personalities usually come out way too different.

Or maybe I just enjoy Asura learning outlooks on life from the other races. I should start an Asuran Reformation club.

Lunar15

I think a Norn/Asura combo could work great, but you'd need to have a Norn and an Asura that were already fairly "different" from their own respective races.

I just think it'd be fun if done right.

Jira

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/pvp/pvp/Anet-Fill-Us-in-on-your-progress-ideas/2999858

We’re just starting work on a number of bigger systems/features for PvP, and as is our policy until they are far enough along that we won’t throw them out or change them massively we won’t talk about them quite yet. We’re working down a list of big stuff though, and there are more folks working on PvP related projects right now than ever.

And as a reminder, things we’ve already said we’re working on currently that are far enough along for us to discuss are:

- Fixing rewards and progression in PvP to make the game type much more rewarding.
- Investigating new game types for PvP.
- Improving the game and experience for the core base in general to make it more fun for more casual or casual-competitive gamers to play PvP.
- Improving and continuing to support and grow the competitive scene.

In January, things should hopefully be nailed down enough we should be able to go into much greater detail on the other systems and features we’re working on right now on top of the stuff listed above.

Also, a new consumable booster was datamined:

Consumables
109850_0309 When edibles are low, this boost is the way to go!
109850_0310 Metabolic Extender
109850_0286 Metabolic Primer
109848_0950 The next food buff eaten after applying the Metabolic Primer will have a 24-hour duration. Warning! If another food buff is applied afterward, the 24-hour food buff will be lost.
109850_0285 Double-click to apply booster buff. The next food buff eaten after applying the booster will have a 24-hour duration. Single use.

Oh and Lump...here it is...

Music noise
109850_0292 Double-click to pull out drums and play them for your friends.
109850_0293 Unbreakable Drum

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I want drums!

That metabolic primer is de-lish. Wonder if we're talking gem store and how reasonable they'll be in price.

Retro

I don't want to work,
I want to bang on the drum all day.
I don't want to play,
I just want to bang on the drum all day.

Jira

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/wuv/wuv/Obsidian-Sanctum-space-for-large-battles

Greetings,

We’ve recently begun work on finding a reasonable space to accommodate the desires of players in World vs. World who wish to participate in organized, large-scale battles. We have decided to add an area to the Obsidian Sanctum jumping puzzle that is large enough to fit the fights and is removed from the entrances to facilitate some of the basic rules that are used during these fights. In addition, we will be disabling the borderlands bloodlust buff inside the map so that the players will be on a relatively even playing field. Finally, to make it easier to get to the map, we’ll be adding the map to the dropdown menu of WvW maps, allowing you to enter it from anywhere in the game. The space being added is really amazing and I think you are all going to enjoy battling it out in there if it is your preferred way to play. We decided to put this area in the jumping puzzle with the hopes of providing a space for people who wish to play the game this way to be able to do so without causing friction between them and other players who wish to focus on the other aspects of the game in WvW.
Guild vs. Guild is a gametype that has a lot of potential and one that we would never do anything but the best possible version of. That version, if it comes, will have to wait until the resources are available to build it. This change is an attempt to provide a workable solution in a timely manner, one that will ease some of the conflict that we have seen arise on the forums and in the game. WvW is an incredibly successful and engaging part of our game. It will continue to be a major focus for us as a studio and we will continue to put our effort into changes that are in the best interests of WvW as a gametype and the WvW community as a whole.
As is our practice, we won’t be releasing this until it is ready to go.

Devon Carver
WvW Coordinator

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Well, to be fair to humanity, both in Tyria and on Earth, Logan is a... special case.

No doubt. I could understand his general dickness and priority of the Queen over all else, but when he ditched Caithe in a dungeon due to "argument issues" when without the players help she could have died that was a whole new level of douchebag.

Anyway how decent is EU Gafs world in WvW I don't mind if my worlds not the best but when It comes dead last not even competitively in every match I just couldn't take it anymore. Especially when a load are likely to skip.

Lunar15

I still to this day have no idea how Anet thought it was a great idea to have all the main story characters start in a state of medias res from a conflict that is barely mentioned in the game itself and dealing with huge issues that we as players care little about. That kind of stuff is reserved for a sequel. They needed to make us like these characters first, not hate all their guts as they acted like babies till the end.

But man, this topic has been extremely exhausted. I'm sure I'm just yelling at clouds at this point.

LiveSpartan235

Neo Member
The Obsidian Sanctum will be getting an area for organized large scale battles

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/for...tum-space-for-large-battles/first#post3000559
Greetings,

We’ve recently begun work on finding a reasonable space to accommodate the desires of players in World vs. World who wish to participate in organized, large-scale battles. We have decided to add an area to the Obsidian Sanctum jumping puzzle that is large enough to fit the fights and is removed from the entrances to facilitate some of the basic rules that are used during these fights. In addition, we will be disabling the borderlands bloodlust buff inside the map so that the players will be on a relatively even playing field. Finally, to make it easier to get to the map, we’ll be adding the map to the dropdown menu of WvW maps, allowing you to enter it from anywhere in the game. The space being added is really amazing and I think you are all going to enjoy battling it out in there if it is your preferred way to play. We decided to put this area in the jumping puzzle with the hopes of providing a space for people who wish to play the game this way to be able to do so without causing friction between them and other players who wish to focus on the other aspects of the game in WvW.
Guild vs. Guild is a gametype that has a lot of potential and one that we would never do anything but the best possible version of. That version, if it comes, will have to wait until the resources are available to build it. This change is an attempt to provide a workable solution in a timely manner, one that will ease some of the conflict that we have seen arise on the forums and in the game. WvW is an incredibly successful and engaging part of our game. It will continue to be a major focus for us as a studio and we will continue to put our effort into changes that are in the best interests of WvW as a gametype and the WvW community as a whole.

Devon Carver
WvW Coordinator

Jira

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/gw2/Collaborative-Development/page/14#post3000713

Hi All,

Sorry for not getting back sooner, i have been rather busy this morning. Also thanks for continuing the brainstorm, so really good ideas.

So here are the current actions:

1: Chris to chat with the team about creating 3 threads in each main part of the forums. We should be able to start this of on Monday.
2: Chris to write the rules of engagement (-: Just laying out what we can and can’t talk about.
3: Peeps on this thread to continue to discuss the best way to prioritize the topics for each main area that will run for 2 days each cycle and then rotate.
4: Polls: I am going to raise this as a separate thread early next week to continue discussion as it is a complex topic.

I will try to respond as much as i can today and will update on my actions later today or tomorrow. Meanwhile let’s discuss how best to prioritize topics?

Chris

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Damn. I certainly hope all of that comes to pass. It will suck having read about it if they change it up in the meantime :p

I'm getting on now (6:30ET) in the hopes of attempting a guild bounty, if anybody is willing and able!

I think team deathmatch or king of the hill could be interesting for this game. Just because there are so many ways you can have synergy in pvp but the current mode makes people split up and not really stay grouped. Plus it makes people have to build a certain way to hold a point solo. It would also lend a lot of viability to support (which is more than just buffing and healing, things such as interruptions, soft cc, area denial, and supplemental damage go along way), since they have more members that they can effect. It can also lend more viability to aoe team fighting builds, since a lot of people in pvp spec for more 1v1 encounters or a bunker build.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Man the team death match is so lazy, it's like they didn't even bother trying. Most of the existing maps are not built for team death match without a secondary objective, a lot of the space and environment end up being useless and not adding anything to it.

It seems A-net doesn't even want such a mode to catch on if that's really all they do for it.

Also where are the ascended carrion amulets etc specced up my stuff in pve for the first time looked through the list and nope. There's even carrion ascended weapons. Why?

Proven

Yeah, all that stuff was leaked around PAX, and I'm hoping that they've made a bunch of changes since.

As people have said, the maps currently are terrible for TDM. You need something to get across the map and unless they go all out with putting stuff around the map like the quake minigame during Dragon's Bash, it's not going to work. People do TDM in some private servers now and it's pretty much always a "stick near spawns" affair. I suppose they could do something like capping a point gives a stat buff to your team, but they'd need to rework a few secondary objectives like on Foefire.

King of the Hill would be similar to how Halo does it, and I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing. People might hate it at first since it involves capping points, but at least everyone would group up to the same point. Holds similar problems to TDM.

Really, I'd prefer that they wouldn't do these half ass measures and do the proper thing: create new maps for the new modes. They can get by if they alter the current maps enough, but with all the work involved I can't help but wonder if it'd be easier to just design two new maps from the ground up for one of the modes, preferably King of the Hill.

Well, either way, I don't expect to hear or see anything about Castle until one of the November patches, at which point they might officially tease one of the new modes to appear in January.

Luigi87

Taco finally gave me an ascended weapon chest (Sentinel).
I'm very happy I finally got one.

Now... to decide what it would be worth as.

TrounceX

. said:
Greetings,
Devon Carver
WvW Coordinator

Best news I've heard in a while. A big thank you to the very unprofessional Anet employee who trolled the GvG on SBI which is why this was able to happen in the first place.

I'm still looking forward to the more official GvG mode they are working on, but this will be a nice stopgap.

Also I hate to do this but I totally called this announcement a couple days ago.

Hmm just heard that Anet is putting out a GvG map. Apparently it will be similar to the EB jumping puzzle where you can enter from the map, or alternatively you can queue up directly from the menu. It will have it's own separate player limit and obviously will not be affected by the bloodlust buffs.

Also also, to the Anet guys that read this forum, initiating a stomp in WvW should count as a tag. Thank you.

Lunar15

I think Anet made this switch less for people who play GvG and more so that there'd be more space for people who actually want to play WvW.

Look, I think Anet should have put in a GvG mode from the get go, but I don't blame them for being bitter towards people who fuck up their perfectly good mode by going off into a corner to have their little contests.

markot

Banned
Apparently some jerks are trying to tank our wvw so we get to be top of tier 2 not bottom of tier 1 >.<

I would much rather be gold tier and have hard fights then easy fights in tier 2 >.>

But apparently guilds on magumma are contacting guilds on our server cause they want to be in gold tier....

Booooooo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom