• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ceres

Banned
I think there was a tower of nightmares daily today. Want to say collecting spores but I may be mixing that up with yesterday's.

^yep, must have been remembering yesterday's. Darn. I could have done that in wubwub last night while we sieged ogres.

Haven't played in 3 weeks, just signed on once to leave my guild, if i do come back want to join GaF guild, i was so close to leveling my final class to 80, the 2 week content isn't enough to keep me interested, i want an expansion, new races, new places, new class, just something new and fresh... I want Cantha with Ritualist and Tengu, a Tengu Rit sounds awesome...

Retro

The Living Story Daily will always have an icon in the achievement panel that matches the current living story ones.

And since we're on the topic, I actually really like that they let you work towards the meta achievements in small, daily bites. It means even if you only have 10, 15 minutes to play on a given day, there's always at least something you can do to progress in the Living Story.

The 2 week content isn't enough to keep me interested, i want an expansion, new races, new places, new class, just something new and fresh... I want Cantha with Ritualist and Tengu, a Tengu Rit sounds awesome...

The problem with expansions is, you generally blow through new zones in a matter of a few days or even (in the case of WoW) hours and new races are mostly cosmetic. I'm not saying they're not cool as hell, but they are basically a new skin. The two week updates are building on and changing the world in small incremental steps, but I don't feel like that's a bad thing because at that pace I think you can appreciate them more because the spotlight shines solely on them. An expansion is basically an orgy of content that you quickly devour and are then hungry for more. I'm honestly completely turned off by the prospect of expansions, if they come at the cost of the living story. If both are occurring I'm fine, but I almost prefer the living story since it doesn't divide the player base and there isn't this mad rush to see everything new all at once. It's a leisurely pace they have with the Living Story, and I like that and think it suits the game better than a flood of content with multi-month dry spells in between.

Never mind that new races, classes, and zones can be added via the living sorry just as easily.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
And since we're on the topic, I actually really like that they let you work towards the meta achievements in small, daily bites. It means even if you only have 10, 15 minutes to play on a given day, there's always at least something you can do to progress in the Living Story.
For me, the effect has been "do the standard living world achievements that seem fun and ignore the rest in favor of dailies." So I always end up getting the Meta from some portion of concrete achievements and some number of days after the release, without having done anything I find particularly tedious or boring. It's pretty awesome honestly. A rather generous way to accommodate lots of different players. I know some people are going to have their meta done within two days (or two hours if it's possible), and that's fine- I just don't consider that ideal, 'cause I'd have to play in a way I didn't enjoy to accomplish that most of the time.

Usually I don't have much issue with the achievements themselves. I don't like the pure scavenger hunts where it's really like you better comb every pixel of a zone or use a guide or you'll be completely wasting time... I didn't find the dragon's teeth or whatever they were in Tequatl Rising as an example. But the more logical ones like these obelisk shards and especially the sky crystals at the Sanctum I actually find pretty fun. The ones that are like "do this content-related act whatever times" are just freebies to me that I get over the course of the release, (though dramatically misinterpreted as what you should do for a solid hour as soon as possible to get the reward). And the "excuse to do something you probably haven't seen in months if ever" ones are always my favorites, like killing the three krait witches this time (I hadn't seen the Caledon quest with the transformed Hylek despite having 100% in that zone).

Got my engineer, at last, to lv 80. That makes five classes at 80 now (thief, warrior, guardian, elementalist and engineer).

Current goal is to farm up what I need to make them all exotic huntsman weapons (where available) as a way of grinding my huntsmen skill to 500. Sitting at 430 or so right now.

Having played them all in pve high end, i'm realizing that my current specs suck. Really going to have to sit down and research some solid endgame specs for them. Since most of my time is ether spend champion farming or doing world events, with some dungeons here and there, i'm thinkign of switching to a more CC/DD build for most of them, as my condition builds just don't work for group content. Burn is worthless outside solo, and other conditions stack up so fast from groups that you are just wasting them.

Ceres

Banned
So given I've been set on getting 100% world completion, I've been using GW2 cartographers and mmorph life GW2 a lot.

There was one Skill point in Straits of Devastation that was an absolute bitch to get solo. So many mobs and fire raining from the sky.

The grenth temple SP in Cursed Shore I swear can only be done during a temple run or if you have perma stealth. I tried doing it on my own several times and the number of vets that spawn more enemies make it impossible to make it far without previous enemies respawning.

xeris

Hit my 10th 80. Made a deal with myself I'd stop buying character slots until at least half of my characters were 80. So tonight I can buy slot 20!

Mxrz

How much gearing do you with them at 80? Most of mine are twinked out other than my mesmer. But I have this weird thing where I'll spend 20-50g on dye, but then skimp out on some runes and sigils.

Hit my 10th 80. Made a deal with myself I'd stop buying character slots until at least half of my characters were 80. So tonight I can buy slot 20!

Holy crud, I thought my 5 was bad. Wouldn't you have multiple duplicates of the same classes? Just going for one of each race/storyline?

Lunar15

Xeris,

Intervention-With-The-How-I-Met-Your-Mother-Gang.gif

xeris

I always did love my momma.

don't you have 2 warriors?

Yup. In fact warrior 2 will probably be next up if I do them in the same order as the first batch.

Holy crud, I thought my 5 was bad. Wouldn't you have multiple duplicates of the same classes? Just going for one of each race/storyline?

Right now I have three necros, eles and thieves. I have two of everything else. In theory and if the game support it I'll get to one of every race/class combo eventually. Up to 6 asura, 7 after I roll the new toon which will also be my third mesmer. Every version of a character is geared/traited differently. For example, my first necro is a power build and my second is minion and my third will be a conditionmancer.

Aquila

I always did love my momma.

Yup. In fact warrior 2 will probably be next up if I do them in the same order as the first batch.

Right now I have three necros, eles and thieves. I have two of everything else. In theory and if the game support it I'll get to one of every race/class combo eventually. Up to 6 asura, 7 after I roll the new toon which will also be my third mesmer. Every version of a character is geared/traited differently. For example, my first necro is a power build and my second is minion and my third will be a conditionmancer.

Xeris... I want your free time.

member.php

Lrn2reed

Neo Member

Wow, I thought 8 alts was pushing it but good lord man!

I got absolutely sick of leveling/crafting after number 4....

xeris

Xeris... I want your free time.

member.php

Honestly with the last few it hasn't taken long at all. Ended up with double level 20 scrolls for the first 5 because of the glitch they had where not everyone got one so they re-sent em out. Beyond that, it's mostly just doing the living story events/zergs with an occasional dungeon run and crafting to fill out a few levels here and there. 2-3 hours a night roughly. On the other hand, that's all I chase. I don't usually do fractals, my highest zone completion is 75 and I haven't even started one legendary. Oh, and doing the personal story. Those usually give decent xp and if you stop before level 50 on em, there are very few that are more than a couple minutes.

Ashodin

Sorry Rangers

Main-hand sword
I just want to clarify for good that main hand sword is currently working as intended. All movement skills cannot be interrupted by dodging and this is currently intentional. It has a very specific play style, and I would like it to remain. I understand that rangers want a one handed melee option that is more mobile, but that will have to wait, as I know there are a mix of players who also like how this weapon plays and I do not want to take away one of the more unique playstyles that we have and replace it with something that is fairly common.

What teh fuck Jon lmk whats goin onNN

I’m not sure this will be enough, but I do not want these traits to be overpowered as I feel they are fairly passive. That being said, I think they are good simple traits and with 12 traits per line it is absolutely fine to have some passive simple to understand traits.
Another thing about this build is that you do not have all of the information you need about this power guardian right now, but I can’t reveal more without spoilers. /tease

More conditions for guardian? New condition for guardian? WAAA

Damnit, they're nerfing the hammertrains.

Honestly with the last few it hasn't taken long at all. Ended up with double level 20 scrolls for the first 5 because of the glitch they had where not everyone got one so they re-sent em out. Beyond that, it's mostly just doing the living story events/zergs with an occasional dungeon run and crafting to fill out a few levels here and there. 2-3 hours a night roughly. On the other hand, that's all I chase. I don't usually do fractals, my highest zone completion is 75 and I haven't even started one legendary. Oh, and doing the personal story. Those usually give decent xp and if you stop before level 50 on em, there are very few that are more than a couple minutes.

I probably should have done this. I went with straight crafting and it cost me about ~500g to get 7 of my alts to around 76. And now I'm too lazy to finish them. Of course it doesn't help I like sticking with my main.

So given I've been set on getting 100% world completion, I've been using GW2 cartographers and mmorph life GW2 a lot.

There was one Skill point in Straits of Devastation that was an absolute bitch to get solo. So many mobs and fire raining from the sky.

World completing pre-nerf Orr was such an adventure. I actually did try to get them all solo, but once I was close to my legendary, I can't resist during the times GAF does their Orr run or when I had to beg someone to help me get a skill point.

jersoc

the new shoulders look ridiculous. i hate big ass bulky shoulders. gloves look ok, but not sure what they would go with.

new stuff. blah dungeons. time to play resogun gun for 2 weeks. inside looks neat though.

edit:holy shit that music. that is some straight up god awful jrpg shit right there.

The tower looks like that I expected though
A giant hollow thing with a plant inside.

Better than nothing though! I wonder where this will lead the story and why are the Krait there
I don't know where it is going to lead but I cannot wait to find out.

Those floating portals in the sky are getting more and more clear with each update.

Ceres

Banned
Is reset WvW still a lag fest like in week 1? Haven't played since quiting in frustration that first Friday night.

Reset night is usually laggier than other nights. Borderlands aren't as bad as EB normally though barring any three way fights.

Retro

holy shit that music. that is some straight up god awful jrpg shit right there.

Yep, wouldn't be surprised if their ancillary material for this update has overtones along just those lines. It must be a fucking riot getting to switch styles like that every update. One week you're doing 70s monster movie posters, two updates later some Tim Burton-esque Halloween stuff, then bam; crazy, hideous guitar noodling. Love it... assuming it's intentionally awful, that is.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Yep, wouldn't be surprised if their ancillary material for this update has overtones along just those lines. It must be a fucking riot getting to switch styles like that every update. One week you're doing 70s monster movie posters, two updates later some Tim Burton-esque Halloween stuff, then bam; crazy, hideous guitar noodling. Love it... assuming it's intentionally awful, that is.

Anyone gonna make a music video with that music to enter the contest lol. Man it's so bad they should have chosen a better track.

Should have chosen something like this track.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leQO6SSPA7E

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Why is everyone hating on the music?
Whether they "get it" or not it's pure buttrock. Just pitch-perfectly generic coaster metal. Shredding killer yet deceptively safe riffs to the imagery of toxicity and nightmares. "The Nightmare Within" and "Enter the Tower of Nightmares" are practically begging your brain to start playing Metallica. Rock hard enough and you get a guild wars 2 guitar
HeuKWk6.png

I certainly would not champion the track as a delight to my earholes but as a component of a themed release it is pretty damn funny and awesome. They really have a blast with this stuff.

Keen eyes have picked out some cast members in this week's art:
I can't really see slick but it looks quite spot on to me otherwise.

This is the only surprising bit of the release description to me:
Enter rooms within the Tower of Nightmares to brave special encounters—but beware! Things are not all as they seem. You can never know what awaits you within these dark rooms. Will you find yourself face-to-face with Scarlet’s agents, or a much more insidious enemy? It’ll take strength, determination, and a cool head to survive the trials that await you.
Sounds like an element of randomness perhaps. As much as I'd play the crap out of it regardless, I am still hoping this is not a dungeon/5-man instance but something else. We'll see!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yeah it looks like Fractals have to be the Nov 26th patch. Fine with me really... have plenty of stuff to keep me busy right now :p

Ceres

Banned
Its too bad Fractals are a monthly right now if the patch isn't going to see much of November.

Anyone interested in doing some low levels fractals with me on Wed? I've done a lvl 18 once that's the extent of my fractal expertise.

I'll be gone this weekend again so missing out on reset/missions. Can't do Thursday/Friday for fractals as I will now be out of town those days as well.

They are really hyping up this "mysterious enemy" at the top of the tower and I don't think they mean scarlet. They are probably talking about the monster behind her in the image. I can't wait to see if my theory about her using magic from underworld to make her hybrids is true.

The rumor is this is going to be like an open world dungeon with lots of new events and maybe a new meta so I think we should set up an event for Tuesday night 8pm maybe,(nov12) where we get our guild into an overflow and lead the charge into the tower as a guild.

What do you guys think?

Lunar15

The guitar reveals all: Dude on the guitar appears to be our true enemy. It looks like the guy behind Scarlet in the promo art, but now there's a clear face and body outlined.

Also, yeah that music was no good. It's not the angle they were going for, it's just that it's not really well done. Comes off as cheesy rather than imposing, which has already been a problem for their team.

But it's not the end of the world, just a trailer. No real reason to be upset.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom