• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retro

Important Mumble Update!
Alright, so here's basically what happened with Mumble. Our host (Edge of Reality) decided to shut down their Atlanta facility due to low traffic, and our service is now hosted out of Dallas.

That means we now have a new Mumble address. Quote this post or the OT to see it. The previous address, for whatever reason, now connects to someone else's mumble server (it does not appear to be for gaming apart from having a TF2 room). Please update your mumble bookmarks and such!

While we're on the subject of Mumble, I'd like to point out that the GAF Officers have been chipping in to keep it running for everyone's use. It's not terribly expensive (about $9 a month), but if you would like to kick in a few bucks, please donate here. You can donate as little as $1.

Rnr1224

You sure you're entering it in the right place? The Redeem Code box only requires 11 characters before redeem becomes active. There's also an Item Code button but that's 25 characters and I believe for redeeming specific items for give aways.

yeah i can see the item code so i guess i was entering it in the wrong place. but when i click redeem code in the upper left, the only thing that appears is the button for the item code, nothing else.

leng jai

So what happened to the Fractal leaderboards? Looks like the weapon boxes aren't in the loot table either. Anet just announcing stuff that's non-existent?

Retro

So what happened to the Fractal leaderboards? Looks like the weapon boxes aren't in the loot table either. Anet just announcing stuff that's non-existent?

The description for the Leaderboards says "Soon you can earn the envy and adulation of your friends and total strangers through our new leaderboards. . .", emphasis on "Soon." Maybe they needed a period of time to collect data? I seem to recall with the other leaderboards there was a period of time before they started to work.

As for the weapon boxes, you mean the Fractal weapon skin ones? My brother had one drop, but I haven't seen one myself.

The description for the Leaderboards says "Soon you can earn the envy and adulation of your friends and total strangers through our new leaderboards. . .", emphasis on "Soon." Maybe they needed a period of time to collect data? I seem to recall with the other leaderboards there was a period of time before they started to work.

As for the weapon boxes, you mean the Fractal weapon skin ones? My brother had one drop, but I haven't seen one myself.

From CJ
We’re holding the leaderboard for now to see if we can’t decide on a better way to help differentiate people on it who are all at the same tier, other than just the first who got there specifically. Once we have decided that, we’ll need to code, test, and vet it and then update the leaderboards to reflect the new tracking.
https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/gw2/What-happen-to-Fractals-Leaderboard/first#post3388587

They are holding the leaderboards back.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
That reminds me. Would you check on my transactions? I'm curious to see what's sold and if I should have the prices adjusted if any haven't been selling.
I can do this when I get home, sorry I missed this while I was on last night.
yeah i can see the item code so i guess i was entering it in the wrong place. but when i click redeem code in the upper left, the only thing that appears is the button for the item code, nothing else.
Hmmm. The button to redeem that card should be in the Gem Store itself somewhere ('O' Menu). I can't access it right now to look and specify exactly...

markot

Banned
Yes, doing those events is decent cash. Just do em one a day, sell yellows on the BLT, vendor greens and salvage the rest, that's what I do.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Is farming Jormag the best way to get money?
No way anywhere even remotely close :D In fact, "farming" him or any other world event isn't even possible. The rewards you get from them are tied to the daily reset at 7:00PM EST- running more than once before or after that mark is pointless.

Of the daily world events, the single most lucrative is definitely Tequatl- takes under 15 minutes of actual combat, but it's a very tough fight and you need to "get a spot" on a server or overflow that knows what it's doing well in advance. He's also something of an exception in that you can get some of the rewards (a guaranteed gold for example) more than once per day, but again it's not really convenient.

The current best/most reliable ways to earn gold are running a daily variety of quick dungeons (best), running all the daily world events you can (far easier, but less lucrative- you may choose to either sell your rares or salvage for ectoplasm), farming champions in Cursed Shore (best but toughest to organize/find running), Frostgorge Sound (most reliable but quite boring), or Queensdale (last resort/doable on non-80s).

So my one year anniversary hit this past week, and they gave me a scroll for a free level 20.

So I created a Guardian. Got to level 26, and I like it so far.

Unfortunately I'll be out of town for the next week so any further leveling will be put on hold.

leng jai

Why do I get the feeling they're going to scrap the leaderboards before they even come out? Pretty sure no one wanted them in the first place. Problem is they gimped every one back to level 30 so they better get it out "soon".

Your brother got a fractal weapon box drop? Sophie said he only got a shield with no choice.

Concept17

I've been away since June. Been too busy to play, but recently updated the game again, and I'm thinking about jumping back in. Has much changed since then?

I've been away since June. Been too busy to play, but recently updated the game again, and I'm thinking about jumping back in. Has much changed since then?

There has been 2 updates per week since June.

I think there has been 2 major skill updates/balance since june, so your build might need looking at when you log back in.

The ascended rings the released back last November when Fractals were announced are now not the only ascended items you can get. You can have full ascended armour and weapons now, through crafting or drops. Weaponsmithing, Artificing, Hunstman, Leatherworking, Tailor, Armorsmithing can now be upgraded to level 500 so you can craft ascended items.

They added this thing called account wallet which means all your currancies go in there, gold, gems, dungeon tokens, guild commendations and all your characters have access to them, no need to waste bank space anymore.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/releases/
If you want more detail you can see all the releases on that page.

Retro

Sorry I haven't been on much, we've been busy: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=738136

I'll just assume you missed all of June, then;

Dragon Bash
A temporary, dragon themed holiday. The only substantial permanent addition was Moa Racing in Eastern Lion's Arch.

Sky Pirates of Tyria
A temporary dungeon (Aetherblade Retreat) was added, and now appears as a fractal, along with a new Aetherblade jumping puzzle in Gendarran Fields. AOE Looting was added. There was a pretty substantial skill and trait balance update, including a new condition called "Torment" that causes more damage to moving targets. Necromancers were much improved. Gifting was added to the Gem Store.

Bazaar of the Four Winds
This was one of my favorite updates. Added a new, temporary zone (Labyrinthine cliffs) that had a lot of cool vertical climbing sections. Lots of little lore tidbits about Glint (a major character from GW1). A new permanent activity (Sanctum Sprint) was added, along with a new mini-game (Belcher's Bluff). The achievement UI was overhauled, and with it came new Achievement reward chests that you unlock at specific milestones (including some unique skins). They also added a new crafting material (Quartz) and a PVP Map (Skyhammer).

Cutthroat Politics
Players used special Support Tokens to vote for two candidates, which determined what content would appear in a later update (just added in November). Two temporary PVP activities were added (Southsun Survivor, Aspect Arena), along with a Horde Mode-like instance called Candidate Trials (also temporary). Three new armor skins were added to the gem store (Braham's, Magitec and Phoenix).

Queen's Jubilee
The collapsed section of Divinity's Reach was rebuilt and featured a temporary, large-scale arena (Crown Pavilion) and a bunch of really cool (and really tough) 1-on-1 boss fights (Queen's Gauntlet). Champion rewards were overhauled, making them much more rewarding, and a bunch of new Exotic weapon skins were added. A new Wallet was added that condensed all of the various currencies (gold, dungeon tokens, karma, etc.) into one account-based menu.

Clockwork Chaos
Introduction of Scarlet. Large scale, zone-wide invasions began to occur across the game world with substantial rewards. These are still on-going but occur much less frequently and I believe people have generally stopped going to them. PVE culling was removed.

Super Adventure Box: Back to School
SAB returned, though it was overly difficult and not very well received. New SAB skins, as well as a ultra-tough version of the SAB (Tribulation mode). Magic find was removed as a stat on gear and was instead made an account-wide feature. New "Essence of Luck" items that drop (or can be obtained via salvaging) will permanently increase your magic find across all characters. Ascended crafting was added, allowing weaponsmith, artificer and huntsman to reach level 500 and produce ascended weapons. Legendary weapons were updated (new visual effects for some, re-writable stats for all).

Tequatl Rising
Tequatl encounter substantially improved, now requires a coordinated effort from a large amount of people. Many world bosses were improved as well, making the much harder. Looking for Group tool added. Ruins of Power added to WvW.

Twilight Assault
A new permanent path was added to the Twilight Arbor dungeon. WvW performance bonus chests, new Hairstyles, Living Story achievements.

Blood and Madness
Most of last year's Halloween content with a new mini-dungeon added for the Bloody Prince's storyline. Balance changes to traits and skills, new combat UI options for targeting and condition damage indicators. WvW season 1 started.

Tower of Nightmares
A large section of Kessex Hills was revamped, with a huge tower occupying the lake with lots of huge vines growing out from it. Lots of new events added to the area. A new heal (Anti-toxin spray) was added for all professions. New armor skins added to the gem store (phalanx, viper, trickster)

The Nightmares Within
A very large (three floors) and very difficult zone was openned in Kessex Hills, sort of an open-world dungeon. Several new skins, including Marjory and Kasmeer's weapons to the Gem store.

Fractured
The Fractal that players voted for way back in July was added, along with fractal versions of the Molten Facility (April) and Aetherblade Retreat (June) dungeons. The final bosses from those dungeons were also added as new boss fractals. Fractal levels became account-wide instead of character specific.New "Mistlock instabilities" were added to make higher-level fractals harder (mixed results) and the way Fractal loot is handled was changed.

That brings you up to Wintersday 2013, which is most of last year's content along with Ascended armor crafting and another balance update.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Oh I only do word events once a day. I know about the limit.

Seems like getting dungeons is a chance though.

jokkir

What's the best way to gain levels in Queensdale?

I recently restarted my game after not playing for over a year and I decided to start a new character. I'm trying ot finish the main story quests but the recommended levels for those quests are always +1 level higher than the previous so after I complete one quest, I'd have to grind for a few hours to get that level up.

Is there a better way doing this? I already 100% Queensdale, I'm lv15 (or 16) right now and want to keep going through the story. I already know about random events but they seem kind of boring when no one is there to help you out with it.

I recently restarted my game after not playing for over a year and I decided to start a new character. I'm trying ot finish the main story quests but the recommended levels for those quests are always +1 level higher than the previous so after I complete one quest, I'd have to grind for a few hours to get that level up.

Is there a better way doing this? I already 100% Queensdale, I'm lv15 (or 16) right now and want to keep going through the story. I already know about random events but they seem kind of boring when no one is there to help you out with it.

Don't stick to one starting area. Go to Lion's Arch, and hop over to any of the other areas, like Plains of Ashford, Caledon Forest, Metrica Province, or Wayfarer Foothills. Just exploring those areas will get you much exploration XP, and the hearts there will level you up fast. Heck, just going through an unexplored city on the way to another race's starting area will probably level you up once.

Guild Wars 2 isn't as linear as people think, move laterally a lot, and you'll find levelling happens so fast and by itself, it's almost silly.

Arcteryx

Don't go 100% by the personal story/zone quests. I would recommend going to each starting zone and doing the intro stuff there, then swap to personal story for a bit. On top of that, do the champ train in Queensdale.

You might also consider guesting to another server(dunno where you are atm) that has a high PvE population.

tl;dr: Mix different zones, personal story, and champ trains for fastest leveling.

Also, as said above, 100%ing the various intro/home zones will give you a couple levels pretty quick.

Just a heads up, our weekly Guild Mission Saturday Night Fever commences in about 2 hours and 15 minutes!

:)
Well lay it on me fellas, what time is good for you? Is around reset too early, too late?

I was actually going to say, right on reset is perfect for me - since doing a Fractal will usually do most, if not all, of the dailies (require just for the chest). And it's early enough to still get stuff done afterwards.

Concept17

Sorry I haven't been on much, we've been busy: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=738136

I'll just assume you missed all of June, then;

Dragon Bash
A temporary, dragon themed holiday. The only substantial permanent addition was Moa Racing in Eastern Lion's Arch.

Sky Pirates of Tyria
A temporary dungeon (Aetherblade Retreat) was added, and now appears as a fractal, along with a new Aetherblade jumping puzzle in Gendarran Fields. AOE Looting was added. There was a pretty substantial skill and trait balance update, including a new condition called "Torment" that causes more damage to moving targets. Necromancers were much improved. Gifting was added to the Gem Store.

Bazaar of the Four Winds
This was one of my favorite updates. Added a new, temporary zone (Labyrinthine cliffs) that had a lot of cool vertical climbing sections. Lots of little lore tidbits about Glint (a major character from GW1). A new permanent activity (Sanctum Sprint) was added, along with a new mini-game (Belcher's Bluff). The achievement UI was overhauled, and with it came new Achievement reward chests that you unlock at specific milestones (including some unique skins). They also added a new crafting material (Quartz) and a PVP Map (Skyhammer).

Cutthroat Politics
Players used special Support Tokens to vote for two candidates, which determined what content would appear in a later update (just added in November). Two temporary PVP activities were added (Southsun Survivor, Aspect Arena), along with a Horde Mode-like instance called Candidate Trials (also temporary). Three new armor skins were added to the gem store (Braham's, Magitec and Phoenix).

Queen's Jubilee
The collapsed section of Divinity's Reach was rebuilt and featured a temporary, large-scale arena (Crown Pavilion) and a bunch of really cool (and really tough) 1-on-1 boss fights (Queen's Gauntlet). Champion rewards were overhauled, making them much more rewarding, and a bunch of new Exotic weapon skins were added. A new Wallet was added that condensed all of the various currencies (gold, dungeon tokens, karma, etc.) into one account-based menu.

Clockwork Chaos
Introduction of Scarlet. Large scale, zone-wide invasions began to occur across the game world with substantial rewards. These are still on-going but occur much less frequently and I believe people have generally stopped going to them. PVE culling was removed.

Super Adventure Box: Back to School
SAB returned, though it was overly difficult and not very well received. New SAB skins, as well as a ultra-tough version of the SAB (Tribulation mode). Magic find was removed as a stat on gear and was instead made an account-wide feature. New "Essence of Luck" items that drop (or can be obtained via salvaging) will permanently increase your magic find across all characters. Ascended crafting was added, allowing weaponsmith, artificer and huntsman to reach level 500 and produce ascended weapons. Legendary weapons were updated (new visual effects for some, re-writable stats for all).

Tequatl Rising
Tequatl encounter substantially improved, now requires a coordinated effort from a large amount of people. Many world bosses were improved as well, making the much harder. Looking for Group tool added. Ruins of Power added to WvW.

Twilight Assault
A new permanent path was added to the Twilight Arbor dungeon. WvW performance bonus chests, new Hairstyles, Living Story achievements.

Blood and Madness
Most of last year's Halloween content with a new mini-dungeon added for the Bloody Prince's storyline. Balance changes to traits and skills, new combat UI options for targeting and condition damage indicators. WvW season 1 started.

Tower of Nightmares
A large section of Kessex Hills was revamped, with a huge tower occupying the lake with lots of huge vines growing out from it. Lots of new events added to the area. A new heal (Anti-toxin spray) was added for all professions. New armor skins added to the gem store (phalanx, viper, trickster)

The Nightmares Within
A very large (three floors) and very difficult zone was openned in Kessex Hills, sort of an open-world dungeon. Several new skins, including Marjory and Kasmeer's weapons to the Gem store.

Fractured
The Fractal that players voted for way back in July was added, along with fractal versions of the Molten Facility (April) and Aetherblade Retreat (June) dungeons. The final bosses from those dungeons were also added as new boss fractals. Fractal levels became account-wide instead of character specific.New "Mistlock instabilities" were added to make higher-level fractals harder (mixed results) and the way Fractal loot is handled was changed.

That brings you up to Wintersday 2013, which is most of last year's content along with Ascended armor crafting and another balance update.

There has been 2 updates per week since June.

I think there has been 2 major skill updates/balance since june, so your build might need looking at when you log back in.

The ascended rings the released back last November when Fractals were announced are now not the only ascended items you can get. You can have full ascended armour and weapons now, through crafting or drops. Weaponsmithing, Artificing, Hunstman, Leatherworking, Tailor, Armorsmithing can now be upgraded to level 500 so you can craft ascended items.

They added this thing called account wallet which means all your currancies go in there, gold, gems, dungeon tokens, guild commendations and all your characters have access to them, no need to waste bank space anymore.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/releases/
If you want more detail you can see all the releases on that page.

wow thanks for this

So much content. o_O

In addition to what everyone else said, you also gain levels via crafting.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Just to add to and compile all the stuff people have been saying about leveling, WvW also gets you XP, you can earn glory to buy levels in PvP, and once you hit level 30 you can do Ascalonian Catacombs Story, the first dungeon, for tons of easy XP. Finally, the level ranges marked in-game are all suggestions. If you're confident with your class (not that you should be expected to be at level 15) you can take on content even up to 10 levels above your own and succeed for tons of XP if you don't mind a challenge.

• Go to other starter areas via Asura Gates and do Hearts and Events
  • Explore in general- anywhere you haven't been, even cities (vistas, POIs, skill points)
  • Crafting
  • WvW
  • PvP (for Tomes of Knowledge)
  • Try content a little bit above your level (Personal Story quests to new zones)

Retro

Reminder for Guild Missions tonight!
We now have a new Mumble address. Quote this post or the OT to see it. The previous address, for whatever reason, now connects to someone else's mumble server, so please update your mumble bookmarks and such!

While we're on the subject of Mumble, I'd like to point out that the GAF Officers have been chipping in to keep it running for everyone's use. It's not terribly expensive (about $9 a month), but if you would like to kick in a few bucks, please donate here. You can donate as little as $1.

Xaero

Neo Member
Just downloading GW2 to try it out again. Not played much sinch launch when I kinda lost interest pretty quickly.

Looking forward to giving it another try though...

Are there many Euro players in the GAF guild?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
We have a handful of EU guildies playing with us on Stormbluff Isle. They don't seem to report unusually high lag or anything.

Anno

Reminder for Guild Missions tonight!
We now have a new Mumble address. Quote this post or the OT to see it. The previous address, for whatever reason, now connects to someone else's mumble server, so please update your mumble bookmarks and such!

Chipped in a fiver for all you guys have done. Don't spend it all in one place.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Great missions tonight everybody. Sorry Karka Rush was so... genocide-y

Hopefully everybody who needs em can get the comms at tomorrow's makeups.

I'm happy to announce that GAFGuild's weekly lottery is now open!

lottofinal7dein.jpg

A couple officers have gotten the pot boiling with some seed money, and the first drawing will be next Saturday at the conclusion of our rush! Feel free to ask any questions here or whisper/mail me in game if need be.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Welp, thanks to Hayira's donation our first week's lottery pot is up to 522g so far. They won't be like this every week people, make sure to get your tickets!

I think this guild gets karka for its rushes at least 33% of the time. We're cursed.

That 522 better be a typo. Is Hayira leaving the guild too?

Shiokazu

I think this guild gets karka for its rushes at least 33% of the time. We're cursed.

no, thats fo real, we're getting a freaking high jackpot this week.

i'll use my CAPS JINX to repel the karka rushes, every time i say im going to caps, the six gods hear it and they decide its better to give us some other rush.

also this: http://gafguild.com/index.php?threa...ain-queens-and-their-epic-loot.628/#post-7387 since i know of my christmas disaster is night, trying to make the Karkamas a blast. come and join!

no, thats fo real, we're getting a freaking high jackpot this week.

i'll use my CAPS JINX to repel the karka rushes, every time i say im going to caps, the six gods hear it and they decide its better to give us some other rush.

also this: http://gafguild.com/index.php?threa...ain-queens-and-their-epic-loot.628/#post-7387 since i know of my christmas disaster is night, trying to make the Karkamas a blast. come and join!

You should have repelled Karka rush tonight. I tried many times but failed every time. Guess I'm trying make ups tomorrow.

I was actually tempted to donate 1000g, but I figure that was Seda's thing and I don't want to encroach on his title of moneybags. *salutes* Plus I do need some money if there's a skin I like or to screw around. As a former member of the GAF 52, I wanted to get the ball rolling on this lottery.

I'm not planning on leaving, but I'm much less active than I used to be. Playing with guildies is the only reason I log in nowadays.

On a related note, I just found out the beauty of ICM + FPS. Now I want to go back and explore every nook and cranny not for completion, but to be fully immersed in the world.

I haven't played Guild Wars 2 for at least a good 6-7 Months, I just recently logged on and dabbled a bit, like WvsW and just some random events.

I checked how many updates have released since my absence and even while I was active,I'm intimidated at how much has been released.

However worst of all some or most(?) of the content was timed, so if you don't play it within a month it is gone, that is what puts me off.

Will the Flame and Frost saga still be playable for me? If Not...I find that pretty disappointing, time was against me this year and still is.

Even while I'm playing I haven't got a guild anymore as I have been absent for a good 7 months,Solo progression is going badly and slowly for me.

Anyway just wanted to share my feelings it just seems to me most of the content requires other people and random party always works out bad and my previous guild was only Interested in Fractuals or WVSW so I was out of luck.

I haven't played Guild Wars 2 for at least a good 6-7 Months, I just recently logged on and dabbled a bit, like WvsW and just some random events.

I checked how many updates have released since my absence and even while I was active,I'm intimidated at how much has been released.

However worst of all some or most(?) of the content was timed, so if you don't play it within a month it is gone, that is what puts me off.

Will the Flame and Frost saga still be playable for me? If Not...I find that pretty disappointing, time was against me this year and still is.

Even while I'm playing I haven't got a guild anymore as I have been absent for a good 7 months,Solo progression is going badly and slowly for me.

Anyway just wanted to share my feelings it just seems to me most of the content requires other people and random party always works out bad and my previous guild was only Interested in Fractuals or WVSW so I was out of luck.

If you're in an US server, just guest in SBI and the guild will help you. If not, you might still want to join the guild for guild chat.
As for content, the best bits of it are revisited later on. By far the best part of the Flame and Frost saga was the Molten Facility, which has been split and added as two fractals. Don't worry about what you missed; rather, enjoy what it's there, as there's more of it and better each month.

lol51

I haven't played in a very long time as well. I would like to give this a shot again. FFXIV got my attention for a bit and i missed a few events and I felt all out of it so I stopped playing. Hopefully I can do some catching up.

Is GAF Guild still active?

I sent some money over to the mumble server.

I haven't played in a very long time as well. I would like to give this a shot again. FFXIV got my attention for a bit and i missed a few events and I felt all out of it so I stopped playing. Hopefully I can do some catching up.

Is GAF Guild still active?

I sent some money over to the mumble server.

Yea Gaf Guild is active :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom