• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't played in a very long time as well. I would like to give this a shot again. FFXIV got my attention for a bit and i missed a few events and I felt all out of it so I stopped playing. Hopefully I can do some catching up.

Is GAF Guild still active?

I sent some money over to the mumble server.

HYPNOTOAD!

While we're on the subject of Mumble, I'd like to point out that the GAF Officers have been chipping in to keep it running for everyone's use. It's not terribly expensive (about $9 a month), but if you would like to kick in a few bucks, please donate here. You can donate as little as $1.
Donezo.

Kos!!!! You still commanding? I miss it. I was watching a trailer for ESO and saw what looked like WvW and that probably started the craving.

Lol. I never used to command we just used to havoc together.

I just follow SBI commanders.

etolite (Zed Zebes) from GAF is an awesome commander but he only commands on off hours.

lol51

Lol. I never used to command we just used to havoc together.

I just follow SBI commanders.

etolite (Zed Zebes) from GAF is an awesome commander but he only commands on off hours.

Man I missed the gang alot. Hope to stick to this for a while.

I have gotten a cat since I last played. Good news is she's super cute. Bad news is she thinks my mouse pointer is a bug and jumps on the monitor when im playing. GW2 mouse pointer is also a bug. I gotta figure out a solution for this before I start WvWing.

I was just online and some of you were chating with me but my internet went down so hope it comes back on time by the time for makeups.

I'm sending this from my phone.

GLopez12

Neo Member
I haven't played Guild Wars 2 for at least a good 6-7 Months, I just recently logged on and dabbled a bit, like WvsW and just some random events.

I checked how many updates have released since my absence and even while I was active,I'm intimidated at how much has been released.

However worst of all some or most(?) of the content was timed, so if you don't play it within a month it is gone, that is what puts me off.

Will the Flame and Frost saga still be playable for me? If Not...I find that pretty disappointing, time was against me this year and still is.

Even while I'm playing I haven't got a guild anymore as I have been absent for a good 7 months,Solo progression is going badly and slowly for me.

Anyway just wanted to share my feelings it just seems to me most of the content requires other people and random party always works out bad and my previous guild was only Interested in Fractuals or WVSW so I was out of luck.

Yes. One of the big parts of Guild Wars 2 is some — although probably not most at this point — of the content is temporary. Given that, it doesn't sound like the game is for you. Sorry to hear that.

Proven

Love what you have, not what you don't. The nice thing about the GW2 style updates is there's the constant "day 1 multiplayer" feeling at each update. Lots of people, lots of excitement, and if you're the type that hates coming late and having to do all the content solo, then you're fine.

For the other people, if you're the type that prefers soloing stuff, or playing "alone, together" then there are also a lot of options in each update now. You don't have to wait until after everyone leaves in order to get a more calm and in control experience.

And if you come after all of that, then you should focus on what's out now instead of what you miss. GW2 isn't for the easily made jealous type, or the type with uncontrollable OCD.

There's even a multi page thread right now made by people on the achievement leaderboard complaining about the extra PvP daily achievements added...

Just the base package, as you buy it right now for $30 to $40, is worth it. There is more than enough non-temporary content to make the package worth it. Ignore all the Living Story stuff you missed, hop on for the stuff coming up, and just play what you can.

Man I missed the gang alot. Hope to stick to this for a while.

I have gotten a cat since I last played. Good news is she's super cute. Bad news is she thinks my mouse pointer is a bug and jumps on the monitor when im playing. GW2 mouse pointer is also a bug. I gotta figure out a solution for this before I start WvWing.

Classic solution is to either cradle her until she falls asleep (although it can be uncomfortable to play like that), or simply leave her outside the room with other cats (if you have them). Alternatively, use Hawkian and mine's controller solution, which hides the cursor (as it's as if you held the right mouse button permanently). :D

Didn't know about that at all, she looks lovely! (I LOVE black cats). If we ever end up permanently adopting a male black cat (so far all the ones we've sheltered were kittens that eventually got adopted), we'll call him Pixel, but you can use it if you like it and think it sounds gender-neutral enough (it probably does, in English).

And yeah, it's a chore to keep them apart for quarantine until you get the results for immuno, leukemia, etc. We must have gone through that routine like four times this year. Hope she turns out negative on everything. From her behavior it does seem like a house cat that either got abandoned or lost recently. Poor thing, how bad she must have had it, during winter to boot. :(

Also very sorry about your loss (the cat Hythlo mentions in the OP). :(

Retro

Didn't know about that at all, she looks lovely! (I LOVE black cats). If we ever end up permanently adopting a male black cat (so far all the ones we've sheltered were kittens that eventually got adopted), we'll call him Pixel, but you can use it if you like it and think it sounds gender-neutral enough (it probably does, in English).

And yeah, it's a chore to keep them apart for quarantine until you get the results for immuno, leukemia, etc. We must have gone through that routine like four times this year. Hope she turns out negative on everything. From her behavior it does seem like a house cat that either got abandoned or lost recently. Poor thing, how bad she must have had it, during winter to boot. :(

Also very sorry about your loss (the cat Hythlo mentions in the OP). :(

We already settled on "Noelle" since we found her so close to the holiday and it's not too cheesy. Pixel is adorable though, and you're right in that it's not too gender specific. It's sort of at the crossroads of Axel and Pixie.

As far as quarantine goes, the vet ran blood tests and she's clear on Feline AIDS and Leukemia, so there's no concern there. The only thing we're worried about now is potential parasites (she's already on treatment just in case, results of the test come in tomorrow) and that she isn't spayed. Otherwise, we're just slowly introducing her to our previous cat.

Welp, it is time to return to GW2. Haven't played in a long time... probably spring-ish. I'm on Blackwater but I'd like to join the guild. I sent you a mail retro :)

Cant believe how fast Im leveling with my guardian. Im already level 64 and started about 2 weeks ago playing very casually. How long does it take to get to 80?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Cant believe how fast Im leveling with my guardian. Im already level 64 and started about 2 weeks ago playing very casually. How long does it take to get to 80?

Very fast.

If you craft a lot, do events, etc. you'll level up really fast. I think the only thing you'll miss out is getting craft mats.

xeris

My first 80 took a few months back at launch. Last few I've been averaging one a month or slightly better. I do have a googob of those level 20 scrolls tho. If I'm grinding xp I figure 2 levels a day is a good target without getting totally bored.

The more you play, the easier to gets: account wide +XP bonuses, insta-20 scrolls, if you PvP you can buy level-up scrolls at the moment too. I took my Mesmer from 50 to 60 instantly by using a stack of 10 of those scrolls (I find 50 to 60 a "hump", after that it's clear sailing thanks to backlogged personal story missions, since they always give half a level's worth of XP at completion).

Retro

If anything, I found leveling to be too fast; in most of the MMOs I played previously, I always felt like I was just about out of quests while still trying to reach the levels appropriate for the next zone. Even jumping between zones of the same level (which wasn't easy either, there was usually a lot of travel time through high level areas confusingly situated between low-level ones; Darnassus to Ironforge, I'm looking at you) was a pain.

Meanwhile, in GW2 every god damned thing I do is giving me XP. I'm surprised they don't give you XP for logging in sometimes (though they give you influence, so...). No mob tagging or slow questing due to overpopulation either. It's ridiculous.

If anything, I found leveling to be too fast; in most of the MMOs I played previously, I always felt like I was just about out of quests while still trying to reach the levels appropriate for the next zone. Even jumping between zones of the same level (which wasn't easy either, there was usually a lot of travel time through high level areas confusingly situated between low-level ones; Darnassus to Ironforge, I'm looking at you) was a pain.

Meanwhile, in GW2 every god damned thing I do is giving me XP. I'm surprised they don't give you XP for logging in sometimes (though they give you influence, so...). No mob tagging or slow questing due to overpopulation either. It's ridiculous.
They probably made it so fast because of the autoadjustment on the level. In other mmo once you are even 5 levels above the area and the enemies, you can kill them very easily, like two shots.
In GW2 instead they reward you for every little thing you do (which I honestly really like), but they don't make you overpowered, so that you can enjoy the low level areas even if you are way above that level.

Retro

They probably made it so fast because of the autoadjustment on the level. In other mmo once you are even 5 levels above the area and the enemies, you can kill them very easily, like two shots.
In GW2 instead they reward you for every little thing you do (which I honestly really like), but they don't make you overpowered, so that you can enjoy the low level areas even if you are way above that level.

Part of me really wishes they had stuck to their guns and just not had levels at all. Then I remember they added that because even their internal testers were having trouble with the concept, which means the average MMO player would have been completely lost. Hell, the amount of bitching about "there's nothing to do at endgame" and "I got to 80 and lost interest" could fill a thread. In fact, I think that's most of what OT1 was.
JUWnj.gif

You're right though; with down-leveling and the fact that you can take on enemies several levels above you, levels are sort of an estimate rather than a hard rule. I know in most of the MMOs I played, anything more than a level or two above you meant you'd always miss or hit for zero damage. I think the last alt I leveled, I was rolling about 5 or 6 levels behind the mobs through most of the game. I think it was my Guardian though, so that might explain a lot too.

Retro

Hrm so I re-downloaded this last night, hoping to get back to playing. From what I am seeing updates haven't been kind to necro's... bah.

Hmm? They received a substantial update in June and just about every balance update since has tweaked them, usually for the better (though the last update, as I recall, reigned in some of their condition damage, but not to the point that they're broken). Certainly nothing that would make them unplayable unless you're getting your news from the Official Forums.

Go here, click the necromancer icon, see all the changes: http://gw2patchnotesearch.david-reess.de/

HappyHunting

Neo Member
Hmm? They received a substantial update in June and just about every balance update since has tweaked them, usually for the better (though the last update, as I recall, reigned in some of their condition damage, but not to the point that they're broken). Certainly nothing that would make them unplayable unless you're getting your news from the Official Forums.

Go here, click the necromancer icon, see all the changes: http://gw2patchnotesearch.david-reess.de/

Thank you ! Yes official forums, don't know where else to look, until now !!

Retro

Thank you ! Yes official forums, don't know where else to look, until now !!

Official Forums basically produce hyperbole in the same way you or I might expel carbon dioxide as a natural part of our respiratory system. It's just how they function.

If you want the unvarnished truth, even without the positive spin GAF supposedly has, you have to go straight to the horse's mouth and read the update notes for yourself. The official forums, though technically part of ArenaNet, are the opposite end of that idiomatic horse and as such will give you pretty much what you'd expect the back end of a horse to give.

jersoc

i find it too slow.

but then again, I am of the opinion that leveling is a dated system existing only to pad your game.

Retro

i find it too slow.

but then again, I am of the opinion that leveling is a dated system existing only to pad your game.

Agreed, see my post immediately after the one you quoted. Levels are basically good at giving players an indication of increased difficulty (and, as you say, gating content), but since most games just inflate statistics, the difficulty barely goes up, if at all. Better games have enemies with improved behavior or skills (GW2 does this, with tougher enemies having more control, Toxic enemies needing to be finished before they can rally, etc.) and, most important of all, good enemy placement (which, in my opinion, is becoming a lost art in game design).

GW2 is a great game, but my ideal MMO would be level-less and class-less. Everything would be horizontal, requiring the player to improve rather than their character's stats or gear.

Well don't forget that MMO's thrive on rewarding habits. Gaining levels are short term rewards for continuing to play the game. This is a big reason why gained levels are accompanied by music and big bright messages on the screen along with increased stats.

It's success in MMO's is the reason why a lot of non-RPG games have implemented the leveling mechanic, swapping out weapon and gear unlocks for improved stats.

Going pure horizontal just won't have the same amount of player retention. At that point, encounters and gameplay mechanics have to be great enough to retain players in and of themselves and it seems like that's pretty for most games to accomplish.

Going pure horizontal just won't have the same amount of player retention. At that point, encounters and gameplay mechanics have to be great enough to retain players in and of themselves and it seems like that's pretty for most games to accomplish.

Yeah, it even took Dark Souls to do this for a single player game.

Retro

So in other words, the game would have to be fun enough to play without getting shiny, incremental rewards every seven seconds to keep you hooked. Imagine that; a game that actually has to be fun to keep you playing.

Well, I said it was my ideal MMO, I didn't say it would be the most profitable.
JUWnj.gif

Yeah, it even took Dark Souls to do this for a single player game.

Dark Souls still has levels and, to some degree, loot. It's no where near as bad as an MMO, but a sense of progression is still present.

So in other words, the game would have to be fun enough to play without getting shiny, incremental rewards every seven seconds to keep you hooked. Imagine that; a game that actually has to be fun to keep you playing.

Isn't it sad that that's where we are now? Big Budgets and High Stakes though I suppose.

Well, I said it was my ideal MMO, I didn't say it would be the most profitable.
JUWnj.gif

Haha fair enough.

Dark Souls still has levels and, to some degree, loot. It's no where near as bad as an MMO, but a sense of progression is still present.

The levels are entirely optional though. Never seen a soul level 1 clear? :p

But my point was more, that it has, for the type of game it is, far less emphasis on vertical progression - and much more on actual player skill. Using souls to boost stats is really just to make things easier on you, so you don't need as much player skill.

Retro

Isn't it sad that that's where we are now? Big Budgets and High Stakes though I suppose.

It's been that way for a while, but it's been getting steadily worse. My GAF username is actually the shortened version of my old AOL username "Retrogames" (back when there was was 10 character limit, yes, I'm that old), a name I specifically chose because even in the mid 90s I knew older games (which, at that point, was Atari, NES, SNES and Genesis) had stronger gameplay. They couldn't rely on FMV cutscenes, graphics or music to mask deficiencies; all they had was gameplay (or at best, a license) to stand on.

Yes, I've been a grumpy old man gamer since the early Playstation days.
DqjUt.gif

The levels are entirely optional though. Never seen a soul level 1 clear? :p

But my point was more, that it has, for the type of game it is, far less emphasis on vertical progression - and much more on actual player skill. Using souls to boost stats is really just to make things easier on you, so you don't need as much player skill.

Oh yeah, I know; I usually start with a Pyromancer and keep my levels low enough that I can use decent melee weapons and then stop. I definitely feel you on the horizontal progression, each weapon can feel like an entirely different playstyle. I just wish the stat system was a little more intuitive, a lot of things sound good but are just flat out useless.

I should pick Dark Souls back up, and not play it on self-imposed Hardcore mode this time.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Welcome back Hypnotoad (thanks for helping out with mission makeups!) and HappyHunting (necros are unequivocally stronger than they were when you left), welcome BeekleMatter, congrats to new cat owners, thanks very much to the mumble donaters and Merry Christmas to Vil and to all!

I'm dog/housesitting again all week and only gaming in little bits, but I should be on for a bit tonight. I want to conquer the winter JP but if the Clock Tower phenomenon translates it'll take me a tiny fraction of the time it did last year. After that I might be running around New Kessex if anybody needs any of the aftermath stuff.

Welcome back Hypnotoad (thanks for helping out with mission makeups!) and HappyHunting (necros are unequivocally stronger than they were when you left), welcome BeekleMatter, congrats to new cat owners, thanks very much to the mumble donaters and Merry Christmas to Vil and to all!

I'm dog/housesitting again all week and only gaming in little bits, but I should be on for a bit tonight. I want to conquer the winter JP but if the Clock Tower phenomenon translates it'll take me a tiny fraction of the time it did last year. After that I might be running around New Kessex if anybody needs any of the aftermath stuff.

Happy Chanukah!

The WintersDay jumping puzzles has had more changes than clocktower and the part that really screwed me was the first stair of presents because they have brought the camera really close to you and it's hard to see when the presents are shaking. I got the snowflake part really quick but took me awhile to get past the presents.

Well played a lot this morning and this afternoon and finished Bioshock Infinite last night, but now getting ready to go to wife's grandmas palce for Christmas Eve dinner and staying over at in-laws so we can do Christmas Dinner tomorrow.

I am going to try and bring my laptop with me if the wife allows it but probably won't be on much till the 26th.

See you all later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nMiRbEiTWg
Update in the Dead End Bar! Very interesting.

Shiokazu

i went through the whole midnight until sun started to rise, then i feel asleep (gmt-3), but i'll be all night long in if theres guildies to play together.

its very personal, you know, i hate christmas, specially when i have to spend it with family, its just a full torrent of bullshit, lies, falsehood, and having to be polite.

not to mention the part where you have to prettend you care about people who... by now you get it already

im gonna puke all over my keyboard right now.

I MEAN, BALOR'S EYE! IM NOT EVEN CHRISTIAN, COME ON!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom