• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grayman

Sad thing I fear the real expansion pack won't be as good. D:
Back in beta I did think that eventual expansions would do the weapon thing, at least moving around weapons between professions and adding underwaters to above ground.

I really want a fist using monk class that equips weapons on hips or back for the stats. Its never happening but that is my dream.

Shiokazu

You could have stopped right there, but that was still worth saying. That said, you're preaching to the choir here. I think the developers know exactly who posts at the official forums and can tell a respectable post from the noise, the problem is just that it takes so long to sort it all out.

Anyways, good post.

Duuuuuude, don't even mention that shit, Mantis Shrimp are scary. They can supposedly crack aquarium glass. My brother had a little one come in on a piece of liverock and after it killed everything in the tank, simply could not be captured. My brother ended up just draining the tank and dumping everything into the trash rather than take a chance it was still alive.

too late, now i have gone into the forums and talked about it.

i fear my account is in danger?

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/for...the-dev-team-and-playerbase/first#post3574951 if you want to take a look at it.

Jira

Back in beta I did think that eventual expansions would do the weapon thing, at least moving around weapons between professions and adding underwaters to above ground.

I really want a fist using monk class that equips weapons on hips or back for the stats. Its never happening but that is my dream.

Last year they said they wanted to put in more weapons per profession so for example (random example) the guardian could get a rifle. So they're looking to re-purpose the current weapons first then add new new ones later. It obviously got pushed to 2014 but will likely happen this year.

Watching the WoodenPotatoes video about how BG beat the Wurm and how excited people were was really cool. I am going to try to be there on Saturday for sure so that hopefully I can be part of SBIs first win.

Hope ANET address some of the Bug complaints (ie loosing harpoon at Amber if you shoot it too much, strange scaling). The RNG part I think makes the encounter more unpredictable which sometimes can be fun, kinda makes that second phase more interesting because you have no idea where the Wurm head will go.

Has Anet's use of that Umbra culling engine become even worse the past 2 weeks? Oftentimes when I load onto a new map and immediately whip my camera around, the framerate just tanks (aka heavy stutter, judder, etc) and CPU plays catch-up. This can happen if I rotate my camera after a long period of being afk, too. It shouldn't be my v-sync, since the 60->30->20 transitions are actually tolerable to my eyes. Turning off the frame limiter doesn't seem to help. Maybe it's the supersampling, since the engine is rendering at a higher resolution. Does supersampling/downsampling exacerbate the effects of the culling engine?

Edit: hm, if I get a 120/144Hz monitor that'll narrow down the culprit. C'mon, Asus/BenQ/Phillips, put out those G-sync monitors.

Bracket

I'm thinking of jumping into this game. My friend is letting me demo it on his account, so I'll see if I like it. I've never been too keen on MMORPG such as LOTRO or WoW. There's just too much walking and not enough interactivity for me. It also never helped that my friends would level up without me leaving me in the low levels by myself. Guild Wars 2 seems more action-oriented and just something I may enjoy. I'l try it out and if I do decide to purchase the game, I'd like to join your guys' guild if you don't mind.

Guys - I've gotten 300 gold now. Should I waste them on exotic greatswords in the mystic toilet? I once did it with 100 gold, and got nothing besides a small depression. But my senses are saying tingly things to me!

Bracket - , you should totally play:D

I'm thinking of jumping into this game. My friend is letting me demo it on his account, so I'll see if I like it. I've never been too keen on MMORPG such as LOTRO or WoW. There's just too much walking and not enough interactivity for me. It also never helped that my friends would level up without me leaving me in the low levels by myself. Guild Wars 2 seems more action-oriented and just something I may enjoy. I'l try it out and if I do decide to purchase the game, I'd like to join your guys' guild if you don't mind.

If you get your own account, your friend and guildies can help you out in starting zones and still find it challenging and fun because even if you are max level, you will get down-leveled to the level of the zone.

We are on Stormbluff Isle if you decide to pick up the game and in the North American server.

We ready for the weekend?

tumblr_mkijpiIaag1rtdsh3o5_250.jpg

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
reddit didn't like it since I didn't black out the name
This didn't strike me as a big deal, weird
Guys - I've gotten 300 gold now. Should I waste them on exotic greatswords in the mystic toilet? I once did it with 100 gold, and got nothing besides a small depression. But my senses are saying tingly things to me!
Do not trust your senses.

Zomorros is cruel; appealing to his sense of justice will leave you only with tears.

You have been warned.
We ready for the weekend?

tumblr_mkijpiIaag1rtdsh3o5_250.jpg
Yup, especially if this flu is gone by the end of it 8)
Join us! The game's value is off the charts. Getting "left behind" in the low levels is really a bare concern here. If you need help leveling people are often willing to help and the first dungeon, which opens up at level 30, is still one of the most regularly-run in the game :)

He should definitely do that. That would be hilarious.

Would raise a lot of questions though. For example, why would the first expac take on a whole new dragon, instead of one of the currently active ones? And why would 'Jade' be used to describe a sea dragon, versus the more green related jungle dragon?

Proven

Would raise a lot of questions though. For example, why would the first expac take on a whole new dragon, instead of one of the currently active ones? And why would 'Jade' be used to describe a sea dragon, versus the more green related jungle dragon?
It wouldn't raise any questions that would lead to doubting the leak. Even the questions you just asked are either related to current Guild Wars lore or would be expected by cynical segments of the community.

FYI
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EPOTBUC/?tag=neogaf0e-20
29.99 on Amazon (Digital Heroic Edition).

OH SNAP EQN LANDMARK ALPHA

IM GONE TONIGHT GUYS :D

BBtomorrow
Wait...you mean you still play Guild Wars 2? I think you are just messing with us.

Retro

Guys what do you think? I made it because I was bored!

I think you underestimate what a Guild Wars 2 expansion would look like. By a lot (though I think your faux notes are kind of incomplete anyways).

As others have said, you definitely should give it a try, especially if other MMORPGs didn't appeal to you; a large part of Guild Wars 2's appeal is that it doesn't play like or try to be any other game out there.

I will address a specific point of your post though that others haven't; there will be walking around. The first M in MMO is for "massive", and that usually means a big world to explore. However, unlike most MMOs, you are rewarded for exploration, terms of raw experience and in finding things to do. Unlike the games you used as examples, GW2 has a "Dynamic event" system where, instead of quest givers standing around in a town waiting for people to come along and do chores for them, GW2 has events that can pop up anywhere, anytime. You might be exploring a quiet corner of the world and find someone asking for help, or an item that kicks off an event, or just be strolling through the world and suddenly be in the middle of an ambush.

The point is, walking is going to happen. Thankfully, travel times are cut significantly shorter than either of those two games because of a Waypoint system that allows you to bounce around the map to any location you've previously explored. Even without mounts, travel in this game rarely takes very long, even with the world being fairly substantial.

OH SNAP EQN LANDMARK ALPHA

IM GONE TONIGHT GUYS :D

BBtomorrow

Why does it seem like you only post in this thread about other games you are playing?

If you guys haven't tried it yet, I HIGHLY recommend buying The Banner Saga on Steam. It oozes of a lot of the same unique fantasy, while paying homage to the classical conventions. It also boosts a gorgeous Don Bluth art style and has a great narrative. This is an indie game, and it's not Final Fantasy Tactics in depth, but goddam is this one of those games that feels like a real PC game. It feels like it's not compromised. At all. I really really like it.

I think you underestimate what a Guild Wars 2 expansion would look like. By a lot (though I think your faux notes are kind of incomplete anyways).

You think it would contain a lot more? If I was the lead game director on the project of a GW2 campaign, most likely I would have to cut corners.

I know some people will think it's a cheap shot, but using many of the models from spear as a new polearm weapon makes sense. You could probably even look in the vault of all their staff motion cap stuff they did before the game came out.

And lets be honest, if you wanted to give Mesmer, Elementalist, Necromancer, A piercing melee weapon that does not look out of place, a staff like weapon makes sense? It's in the vain of what you already know from a caster type class. A two-handed hammer might look strange on an elementalist.

I think two weapon types per class (except for Engineer and Elementalist) would be the maximum. I think they know from Factions what happened when they introduced too much.
Think about it. It's an entire trait line added to all professions. Plus, your adding 5 weapon skills x2 per class. Then your up towards 60 main weapon skills. And of course Engineer and Elementalists circumstances will make it even more.

60 new weapon animations. That have to interplay with everything else. You think I am underestimating? I think I am being unrealistic! There is no way they have the animators for that. Even with taking shortcuts like using staff assets from early game development, or reusing half of the spear weapons.

I can't even imagine something like a flail or whip. While amazingly cool and different, that sheer work that would go into them.

I sort of hope, that they will make these new weapon types. Fist weapons, Halberds, Whips and the likes over Two-Handed Axes and that ilk, which is just IMO a sharp Hammer. The Axe would fit Ranger, but does Ranger really need more melee weapons? I kinda feel that whatever Ranger should get should be something druid-like-melandru staff magical spirit thing.

That's what I would wish for the new weapon types. Some people ask to be able to swap skills within the current weapon sets, but I would rather just have as many more weapon types and speclizations within. It makes me feel that the dual class design is still alive from GW1.
This whole idea that taking a staff and a flail and focus is a completely different playstyle than someone taking a staff and a sword and a focus. you pick the tools for the job and that defines what you do, under different (class) circumstances.

Then there is the race thing. What do they do about that? add starter zones and then dump tengu/kodan into the old world at lvl 20? They saw the segregation when factions came out.

But at the same time I hope they will keep the thing with exclusive canthan hairstyles, faces and looks for the old races. that was really cool. How an Elonan, Canthan or Tyrian Warrior or Mesmer always looked different. it was the same class but depending on the campaign your customization options were different. This is unrealistic though.

In the end I hope they will stay away from the WoW way. Adding a new class that gets overplayed, increasing the level cap by 10 to make lots of current content obselete and unbalanced in difficulty. Just adding these new zones that kill the old world. Those are the negative side effects of expansion packs I feel.

Very rarely do we get expansions that add a lot of new stuff but also enhance the old game. Like Diablo 2. Not a MMO, but that game because better in every way with it's expansion pack.

Retro

You think it would contain a lot more?

We already know new races, professions, zones and weapon pairings are non-expansion content in ArenaNet's eyes. We also know that they're not opposed to adding in large features that are normally held back for expansions. Hell, stuff like the culling fix was just done and released with a fairly insignificant amount of fanfare considering it was fairly large, technical undertaking. For most developers that would be part of an expansion, one of the most important tools in their kit, but for ArenaNet it was Tuesday.

New weapon combos are almost certainly going to happen this year, considering they were something they wanted to do last year. Considering they've been so reluctant to discuss the Thief changes coming in the Feature update, I'm thinking it might be happening there.

I don't know if we'll see a new profession until they're at least comfortable with the current balance issues.

New zones are definitely coming, they've said multiple times that we'll start to see the fruits of the Living Story CDI in these updates, and one of the big things that projected covered was more permanent content. That said, new zones are easily digested (I think I had finished most of the non-instanced parts of Wrath of the Lich King in the first week and a half) so I think we'll continue to see them also put emphasis on revitalizing old zones.

A new race is plausible. We have no idea where the Living Story is going to go after Scarlet. That in itself is an exciting prospect. I've seen strong, story-driven cases made for Kodan, Tengu and even Stone Dwarves. I don't think we'll see a new race though.

MMO expansions usually boil down to "more of what you're already doing, but different", but ArenaNet already does that. IF they do an expansion, it's likely to feature bigger things than that. Housing is a big feature that's different from what exists. That's on the table, I'm sure. A new game mode would be an expansion feature too, though I think they're more likely to focus on existing game modes before they tack on a new one.

Lunar15

Expansions *should* be aimed at finding new users and bringing old users back into the fold. The one thing that would really do that, whether I care about ir or not, would be the return of actual sanctioned GvG. I don't see them doing any "expansion" or whatever, without that.

It also boosts a gorgeous Don Bluth art style

The artist you're looking for is actually Eyvind Earle. He was the lead background and character artist for many Disney movies, most notably, Sleeping Beauty. The Banner Saga creators mentioned their art was based off of his works.

Retro - Perhaps. But I am not sure. Maybe they will go back and re-think things like the player home instance, the personal story or the ferocity/charisma/love gameplay system?

Expansions *should* be aimed at finding new users and bringing old users back into the fold. The one thing that would really do that, whether I care about ir or not, would be the return of actual sanctioned GvG. I don't see them doing any "expansion" or whatever, without that.

The artist you're looking for is actually Eyvind Earle. He was the lead background and character artist for many Disney movies, most notably, Sleeping Beauty. The Banner Saga creators mentioned their art was based off of his works.

Jesus. I just image googled him. thats some impressive paintings. wow:eek:

I feel like GvG wouldn't be that effective. Maybe I'm being a bit too pessimistic but MMO players seem very vindictive at times and I feel like the people who've already left due to lack of GvG would be stubborn about returning. Having no sub fee certainly would ease that but I'm not really sure that alone would be enough. I also don't think GvG would garner the interest of new players very much at all.

New races, New Zones, and New Gametypes though... people eat that stuff up. Throw out the Tengu and any other new race, a ton of new zones (Cantha?), and introduce a 10-15 man Guild Dungeon mode.. sprinkle in Guild Halls and more individual tourney style challenges with unique weapon/armor skin awards (particle effects everywhere!) and I think that expansion sells gangbusters.

Did my first Tequatl the Sunless today, or Taco as the guild likes to call it.

I think I would have been better off with a ranged weapon, but my Mesmer isn't built that way. Got really confused with the split part, I think in the end I just ran to the west side.

Also, I kept dropping and getting raised. Only once did I end up really dead and had to swim back.

Did my first Tequatl the Sunless today, or Taco as the guild likes to call it.

I think I would have been better off with a ranged weapon, but my Mesmer isn't built that way. Got really confused with the split part, I think in the end I just ran to the west side.

Also, I kept dropping and getting raised. Only once did I end up really dead and had to swim back.

If you go on SBI Teamspeak before even starts the commanders explain all the tactics.

Jira

After the game update is released to the live servers on February 4, World vs. World will be down while our team performs additional verification. This is downtime needed because some issues can only be observed and verified in a live environment.

Because of this, World vs. World will be unavailable for approximately 2 hours after the release is available to the public. After that, you should be able to login and play WvW as normal.

Thanks for your patience and understanding while we perform these checks.

Retro

Expansions *should* be aimed at finding new users and bringing old users back into the fold.

Which is why "more of the same" (New zones, level cap increase, new weapon pairings / types, races) has always struck me as counter-intuitive when it comes to expansions. If non-players didn't care about your game before, they won't when there's just more of it piled on top (especially when it's piled on top; they now have to work harder to see it). It leads to a spike in returning players, which is good, but I can't imagine it grabs a lot of new ones. Returning players also doesn't seem to be a problem with GW2; I'm sure they lost the usual amount of lookie-loos (Jira calls them content locust, probably the better term) post-launch as all MMOs do, but the population seems to be pretty steady.

While we're on the subject, people demanding new zones don't seem to understand that after they're completed, the content just sits there and you have another part of the world nobody goes to any more. I mean, as cool as the zone is, how many of us would be in Labyrinthine Cliffs on a regular basis if it were still in game? It's fun as a temporary thing, but beyond easy access to karma vendors for cooking there's not much reason to regularly visit. Having it gone for a year makes it special when it returns.

I'd much rather they revisit old zones ala Kessex Hills and give them a purpose for revisiting. Even if it was temporary, you can't say Kessex was empty when the tower was up. I'd love to see them use the Living World to tweak multiple zones at once. For example, have a chapter where the various bandit gangs in the human zones start to work together and take over bigger chunks of the map, opening up new hideouts (open world dungeons, ala the Tower), parts of a new zone, and lots of new events. Throw in achievements and some unique bandit-themed loot and you've got people in those zones, guaranteed.

Retro - Perhaps. But I am not sure. Maybe they will go back and re-think things like the player home instance, the personal story or the ferocity/charisma/love gameplay system?

We've discussed this before though. The game has sort of two things going on within it; the Living Story which is all about the world, and the Personal Story / Home instance that is all about the player. Those two aren't just narrative elements, they're resource-intensive too. More personal story means voice acting for all 10 race/gender combinations, with multiple player-selected responses. Housing means user tools have to be developed for placing objects, etc. Those are resources they could spend on voice acting for characters who can say what they want to tell a stronger story that doesn't have to pretend the player has a say in where it goes. Or developing stronger tools for players to interact with the world itself rather than a tiny corner of it nobody else will really see.

Don't get me wrong, I love player housing, but I also know that after decorating my house and guild hall in games like Vanguard, I went back to what MMOs do best; grouping for dungeons, leveling up, getting gear and hanging out in the cities. No game has really done housing the way I want it yet, but if anyone could do it I'd put money on ArenaNet.

Had a lot of fun with Retro today. Thanks, Retro.

No problem, though it would have been better if we hadn't lost the Marionette fight. Still, our overflow did better than the main server, so that's not too bad. I know it was a bit overwhelming and I probably didn't help by just barely explaining things so you'd get to experience it new / without bias, but I hope you had fun. It's the best fight in the game so far.

As far as just running around doing JPs and events and such, hit me up any time you're on and don't feel like running around alone. This doesn't just go for Grizz either; I love just playing this game, and it gets exponentially better when played with others. I'll take any excuse to hang out in a zone and play with people even if I've cleared the damn place a half dozen times (which, considering how many alts I have, is actually true in some cases).

Shiokazu

If you guys haven't tried it yet, I HIGHLY recommend buying The Banner Saga on Steam. It oozes of a lot of the same unique fantasy, while paying homage to the classical conventions. It also boosts a gorgeous Don Bluth art style and has a great narrative. This is an indie game, and it's not Final Fantasy Tactics in depth, but goddam is this one of those games that feels like a real PC game. It feels like it's not compromised. At all. I really really like it.

got it on day one, its a really great game. people been still on hype for this game, i recommend it too.

Monthly done in less than 24 hours...hahahaha too easy, 50 WvW kills on a Friday takes 10-15 mins for the most, I was already collecting Scroll of Knowledge so i had my 40 SP, Champ and Group event can be done at the same time in Queensdale..

Jira

I think that when it comes to expansions, some people are still stuck in the mindset of how other MMOs do or have done expansions and think that's what ANet will do as well. Have any of you taken the time to notice that GW2 as well as how they update their game is unlike any other MMO around? So why would you expect them to follow the status quo with an expansion? Their game, business model, update cadence and content types, and expansions (if they happen) are all going to be different than what everyone else does. It's the reason why GW2 has seen the only real success in the genre in the past decade.

In regards to bringing old players back, introducing new zones, weapons, mob types, other systems, etc might bring some people back but you'd see those same people do all that stuff once, cry they have nothing else to do and leave again. Sure some might stick around, but to be honest if those people didn't stick with it after launch, more of the same stuff isn't going to get them to stick around. As Retro said, put in some new zones and yeah people are going to flock to them, myself included, however once you've done everything, people will just move on to doing something else and most of the zones will go abandoned unless there's a world boss, dungeon, etc there.

This is an issue in which no MMO developer has solved in the theme park setting, which is how do you keep people in every zone of your game for many reasons at all times? As you guys can see, the LS updates moves us around every two weeks and keeps things fresh. As much as people complain about the temporary nature of some things, would you still go to the Labyrinthine Cliffs since there's no more achievements tied to it and only a handful of events there? Look at Southsun, it was a new zone, new mobs, new events, new rewards and it died. Now granted it was rushed and whatever new permanent zone they put in next will be much more fleshed out like a launch zone, but all that means is that the zone will be releavant for a little longer cause it was made better than SSC, but the point still stands that it'll just get abandoned sometime after the next content update comes out.

I don't envy ANet for having to figure out a way to get people into every place in the world on a constant basis, while also making sure any new areas they add to the game don't overshadow the rest of the game in terms of quality/quantity, and also do updates every two weeks. Colin told me that this (getting people out everywhere) was a big goal for them this year so it'll be very interesting to see what they come up with considering no dev has managed to do it before.

Ashodin

I think that when it comes to expansions, some people are still stuck in the mindset of how other MMOs do or have done expansions and think that's what ANet will do as well. Have any of you taken the time to notice that GW2 as well as how they update their game is unlike any other MMO around? So why would you expect them to follow the status quo with an expansion? Their game, business model, update cadence and content types, and expansions (if they happen) are all going to be different than what everyone else does. It's the reason why GW2 has seen the only real success in the genre in the past decade.

In regards to bringing old players back, introducing new zones, weapons, mob types, other systems, etc might bring some people back but you'd see those same people do all that stuff once, cry they have nothing else to do and leave again. Sure some might stick around, but to be honest if those people didn't stick with it after launch, more of the same stuff isn't going to get them to stick around. As Retro said, put in some new zones and yeah people are going to flock to them, myself included, however once you've done everything, people will just move on to doing something else and most of the zones will go abandoned unless there's a world boss, dungeon, etc there.

This is an issue in which no MMO developer has solved in the theme park setting, which is how do you keep people in every zone of your game for many reasons at all times? As you guys can see, the LS updates moves us around every two weeks and keeps things fresh. As much as people complain about the temporary nature of some things, would you still go to the Labyrinthine Cliffs since there's no more achievements tied to it and only a handful of events there? Look at Southsun, it was a new zone, new mobs, new events, new rewards and it died. Now granted it was rushed and whatever new permanent zone they put in next will be much more fleshed out like a launch zone, but all that means is that the zone will be releavant for a little longer cause it was made better than SSC, but the point still stands that it'll just get abandoned sometime after the next content update comes out.

I don't envy ANet for having to figure out a way to get people into every place in the world on a constant basis, while also making sure any new areas they add to the game don't overshadow the rest of the game in terms of quality/quantity, and also do updates every two weeks. Colin told me that this (getting people out everywhere) was a big goal for them this year so it'll be very interesting to see what they come up with considering no dev has managed to do it before.

ARE YOU POSTING ON YOUR WORK BREAK

(also I got a clicker keyboard coming in)

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Remember at 6 EST on the SBI TS for our first organized attempt at the Wurm with the server's commanders. Think you'll probably want to try and get in by 5:15 to have a shot.

Tonight's missions at 9PM will have our weekly lottery and 10g door prize. Be there!

Ashodin

Remember at 6 EST on the SBI TS for our first organized attempt at the Wurm with the server's commanders. Think you'll probably want to try and get in by 5:15 to have a shot.

Tonight's missions at 9PM will have our weekly lottery and 10g door prize. Be there!

I'll be there for missions! Come say Hi to the Avatar of Grenth!

Theory: Scarlet's possessed by Mordremoth (Jungle Dragon) not Primordous. Also Mordremoth is red colour not green, the briar(thorns) wrapped around the Pale Tree is representing the dragon not Scarlet.

I'm trying not to sleep—too scareD to even close my eyes... So scared. Whispers come from the forest all night long, calling me, taunting me, possessing me.
Quite from her journal. I think that is the hint that it has to do with the jungle dragon. Pale Tree is a Glint equivalent and Mordremoth wants to destroy it. Mordremoth knows the pact forces made up of vigil, Drummond and whispers with the help of lions arch killed zhaitan so he wants scarlet to attack their strongholds so that the pact can't kill him when he emerges.

xeris

GAF SPVP Night

Come join a night of blood and thunder out in the mists. Teams will be created based on turnout and experience. If we get enough people we'll take over a server for hot GAF on GAF action. New spvpers welcomed and encouraged.

Time: Thursday 8pm EST
Place: SPVP Lobby

Obligatory event picture:

JDvsAXl.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom