• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Pretty sure it was just Jeff Strain who left.

Nope more than Jeff left, I remember when even a community manager left as well (hell she was the main community manager we interacted with in gw2guru). I remember them citing how big of a zombie fan she was also and was going to join other passionate members on the new project.

LiveSpartan235

Neo Member
Pretty sure it was just Jeff Strain who left.
Jeff Strain left and then 4 others went to join him at Undead Labs Design Director James Phinney, Designer Richard Foge, and 2 artist Scott Albaugh and Doug Williams.

At the time Jeff Strain had already left ArenaNet for more than year to become President of Product Development at NCsoft West and was longer involved in the day to day development of GW2.

We squeaked out a nice TM kill last night around 10pm CST, with about 15 seconds to spare. Biggest issue, once again, was people not knowing the fights, or just not listening to instructions.

No major drops of note this time though, which sucks. Got a ton of trash to break down for mats though, scored a few ecto out of the arrangement. Also sold a few to make up for my current lack of gold, down to about 59g now.

On the up side, finished the meta achievement, leaving me a stones throw from 4,000 achievement points. Looking forward to that one.

Retro

That PC Gamer article is practically a love letter.

In other news:

While account-bound World XP was originally intended to go live along with EotM, the highly anticipated change will not be making it into next week's release. Carver said that ArenaNet is still working out some kinks with it and that the WvW team will have more information for players soon. The team is, however, making big changes to the WvW UI -- not only will it be more stylistically similar to elements like the Hero panel, but it's gaining plenty in terms of functionality and transparency. You'll now be able to see information on your world's WvW standing even on overflows and in instances, and entering the queue will inform you of how many players are ahead of you. (source)

That's good news about getting actual data on your queue position.

GrizzNKev

Banned
Oh man.

I signed an NDA so no pics.

I spent most of my time in the sound design area. So much insight into their development methods. I'm busy now so I'll write more later.

LiveSpartan235

Neo Member
So Josh Foreman went all out on the forums today
https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/for...-these-new-events-at-first/page/9#post3572895

zenleto.6179:

I just thought I’d let you know that this is what has happened for me. I do know about traits but since I don’t run dungeons, or any other heavy group-based content that might exist, I’ve never needed to switch them out or change to a weapon that a particular character has never used for some particular skills or even just used different skills. I’m not sure it has increased my skill level but its definitely cleared the rust away and make me think a bit more.

Josh:That’s awesome! To the extent that it got you to stop and think after a defeat, and come up with alternate strategies… THAT is improving your skill. It’s not like we want everyone to magically get faster reflexes or become Nintendo Wizards. If we are limited to making content that has to be able to be rolled over by anyone without thinking, our events can only be reskinned versions of the same thing over and over. I hope that there are lots others like you.

Risingashes.8694:

Can I suggest a more focused training program for the individual for a future patch?

You’d need to make it essentially mandatory, either by rewards or locking Legendaries, level 80 or something behind it.

Have something that specifically teaches dodges, something that specifically requires trait swapping, something that specifically teaches positioning.

Josh: I really like this idea. Sounds like something that could be worked into the personal story. There’s a game I’ve been playing lately that does this really well called Desktop Dungeons. It’s makes learning the more advanced skills a puzzle game, so learning is fun and not a chore.

Gene Archer.8560:

High failure isn’t fun. Tension isn’t fun. Feeling hopelessness and dread because your server can never muster the numbers to have a shot at success isn’t fun. Feeling like you’re being forced to get better isn’t fun.
The moment you do any of this, it stops being a game and becomes a job. It becomes work.
That isn’t fun, period.

Josh:So there are many ways to categorize gamers, and one useful way is by looking at what they want out of a game. Here’s a really great video by my friend James Portnow on the subject of the aesthetics of games, and why people are drawn to certain types.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZYcravgQxE

From what you’ve said, (Includeing: “All I want from a video game is a relaxing, entertaining ride.”) it appears that what you come to GW2 for is abnegation. You can skip to 7:25 to hear about it. But it essentially means that one wants to escape the real world to go to a relaxing comfortable place for a while. This is a core aesthetic of most MMOs, and GW2 is no exception. The vast majority of our content is PvE abnegation. We all love it. It’s the foundation from which the rest of our systems are built. However, being a diverse lot, we also have other aesthetics we want to pursue, and as a result we attract other kinds of players with other motives for playing. People who ENJOY some amount of tension, who want to learn. Who like to fail from time to time in order to challenge them to come up with new and creative strategies. This challenge and learning is the basis for most video games that have existed. In Mario if you don’t learn to jump when a Goomba walks up to you, you die. There is pleasure inherent in learning for most people if the context is correct. It sounds like you have a very specific idea of what contexts learning should occur, and don’t count your MMO playing time as one of them. And that’s totally cool. We want to appeal to you and others like you. That is why the vast majority of the game is designed the way it is. We don’t want our game to feel like work. We want people like you to find the process of expanding your skillset fun and exciting. And that’s why there is such a range of content. There are others who land further toward the challenge end of the spectrum than you, and we need to keep them engaged as well. No single person is going to find every piece of content we release a perfect fit for their gaming pleasure. I hope you can understand that it’s not malice or stupidity that keeps us from creating 100% of our content to fit your specific tastes, or that makes us want to expand the overall skillset of the player-base.

tl,dr: Not all content is going to appeal to all players. So we make a range.

Gene Archer.8560:

But players can put in all the hard work they can and still not break through to the next level. People have limits and thresholds.

Josh: I recognize this. I don’t expect every player, or even a majority to improve their skills. The hope is that ENOUGH of them will that we will be able to create more creative and nuanced content.

Gene Archer.8560:

Wish Anet would stop making raid content altogether.
Josh: Setting aside the misnomer, I’d just like to point out that if everyone had their wishes and Anet stopped making content that didn’t appeal to them, Anet could not make any content. The PvPers would negate the PvE, PvE negates WvW, WvW negates PvP, etc. Think of an MMO like a newspaper. Some people only read the comics. Some only want the sports page. Some like all the parts, but enjoy the local news the most, etc.

Gene Archer.8560:

But I still know where my limit is, and if this trend continues, I will be excluded from the new content, very soon.

Josh: Perhaps this is the root of your problem. You feel like we don’t want or like you. First of all, that’s not true. There is no trend to exclude any particular kind of player. Please look over the past year of LW releases. We’ve done so many different kinds of content specifically so that we can excite the various kinds of players out there. Out of the dozens of releases we’ve had two dedicated to open world bosses. We’ve done some WvW, some PvP, some Dungeons, some holidays, some JPs, etc. When I say I hope the overall player-base skill can be brought up, it’s not because all our future content will be uniformly more difficult. It’s just so that the stuff we are making for those who like to be challenged can be more complex and interesting. That should not exclude you any more than the occasional WvW, PvP or JP content would. I guess you consider that “muddled”. I consider it nicely diverse.

Zylonite.5913:

I play the game to have fun, not to become better at something….If something tries to change me then it means it does’t accept me as a player??? so is the GW2 player base not accepted within ANet’s walls that now we have to change?

Josh: Some people only have fun WHEN they are learning and displaying mastery of skill. If you are not like that, cool. No problem. We love and accept you just as you are. We made most of our game content for you! Don’t ever change. Seriously, there’s room for all of us here.

Kalarchis.8635:

ANet is spot on the money. PvE has been far too easy for far too long and it’s spoiled players into thinking that anything that requires effort = too much effort.

Josh: That’s not really the message I hope this kind of content sends. I don’t think anyone is “spoiled” for wanting to chill out and not be challenged in their virtual world. It’s their time off, I’m happy to help to provide that blissful state. My only concern is that we are not then obligated to create nothing but blissful relaxation. There’s enough room in Tyria for all kinds.

Ohoni.6057:

Nothing about the new content teaches players how to play better, it just requires that they DO play better,

Josh: That’s a fair point. Thanks. I’ll think about how to incorporate better direction in future content.

Minos.5168:

It’s not really fair to the rest of us decent players who are able to successfully clear our platforms EACH AND EVERY time, and then watch us fail overall because one or two platforms fail.

Josh: Yes. If I could change one thing it would be better support to under-performing platforms.

swnny

In the EotM beta, the UI was almost the same, except for the queue display. Good thing they will be adding this soon. I hope now the queue will actually work as a queue. :D

There was a youtube video of a guy playing bunker warrior with banner/regen stuff, just trolling the enemies next to their respawn in WvW. Can't seem to find it, so I'll be grateful if anyone has a link.

Josh Foreman sounds like such a smart and nice guy and he is respectfully replying to everyone which is awesome. I just hope he doesn't get in trouble for replying on forums a lot like that time during SAB2 where he wrote a whole blog post about it.

Hope this doesn't make them shy away from Marionette like content...you get rewards even if you fail and tons if you succeed.

I hope the official forum community doesn't scare ANET away from doig stuff like this because that community is a piece of shit.

I don't know how Josh could stay so level headed. My replies would have been more like these: http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/1wl1sq/designer_josh_foreman_responds_to_player/cf2z4de

Josh: I really like this idea. Sounds like something that could be worked into the personal story. There’s a game I’ve been playing lately that does this really well called Desktop Dungeons. It’s makes learning the more advanced skills a puzzle game, so learning is fun and not a chore.

Yus!

This now automatically makes Josh Foreman smarter than anyone who doesn't play DD.*

*Miktar is biased because he appears in the game.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Josh Foreman said:
if everyone had their wishes and Anet stopped making content that didn’t appeal to them, Anet could not make any content.
pfft this guy, clearly no idea what he's talking about

I'm surprised he responded so thoroughly to Gene Archer. I read all the guy's posts in the thread and his position ("NO content should be anything other than relaxing and easy enough for the unskilled") struck me as too extreme to entertain. I come to this game mostly for abnegation, he sounds like he'd prefer the thing play itself for all the challenge he's willing to withstand.

the queue indicator thing may actually have a significant impact on how I view WvW entry. :)

Ashodin

Josh is just very passionate. I dig that in a developer.

Plus: I hit Armorsmith 400 last night. Feelsgoodman. On my way to Sunrise!

I hope they implament cross realm zones.

There is so many players, that every server is high or full, yet so main of the main game zones are very very thin with players. It's a shame. I think main cities and the like should be abssent, and perhaps starter zones, but I can go through a zone like snowden drifts or maelstorm in prime time without seeing any other players. that worries me!

I hope they implament cross realm zones.

There is so many players, that every server is high or full, yet so main of the main game zones are very very thin with players. It's a shame. I think main cities and the like should be abssent, and perhaps starter zones, but I can go through a zone like snowden drifts or maelstorm in prime time without seeing any other players. that worries me!

Outside of people leveling up alts or trying for world completion, i'd wager most of the main population is all lv 80 now. Given how much faster, and easier XP trains are for leveling, it's really no surprise that any zone not part of living world content or fixing to kill a world boss is pretty empty.

I'm not sure how to really solve that.

Outside of people leveling up alts or trying for world completion, i'd wager most of the main population is all lv 80 now. Given how much faster, and easier XP trains are for leveling, it's really no surprise that any zone not part of living world content or fixing to kill a world boss is pretty empty.

If you removed the home world version of zones like snowden drifts, and just had an overflow from a cluster of 10 servers, you would have these servers populated.

Im afraid what it does to new people. the game is not even 2 years old. veterans dont think about it because they played since the launch or shortly thereafter, and that point there were too many people. now it's the opposite.

im levelling alts often so it really bothers me. its gotten so bad, I lvl in WvW and crafting after lvl 20ish. Not because I want too, but because there is nobody. Or very few people at least.

Another thing they could do, is add like a keep for every zone in the game that can be taken over my guilds through PvE influence. like a guild could with enough influence hold a sort of real guild hall with exclusive things that make other people wanna visit.

for people who would not want to be "discriminated" against, they could make some soverignity system were a lone wolf who hates guilds (despite playing a game called guild wars) could sort of tag along on the benefits of holding a hall.

the idea would then be that the higher level zones, would be for more powerful guilds. so the Orr zones would be for the servers top 3 guilds.

And the requirement for entry should be PvE open world specfic skill based things. Like a 5-player group content of having to do 20 events in a zone in 15 minutes. 5 man group would have to divide, or go 3 and 2 to do it. things like that would intiate and help people use all the content.

Plus, WvW has a meta game that is never ending. the content plays itself. so should PvE. Im tired of dungeons and fractals!

Funny enough, said zones are where a good deal of gold can be made simply due to the resources available. You can't get soft/hard/seasoned wood in a high or low level zone.

Perhaps provide an incentive for guilds to populate those zones. Eg. If your guild has a controlling influence by doing the most events (or whatever) in Lornar's Pass, you can get discounts or other guild benefits relevant to the zone. This provides incentives for guilds to heavily populate a zone and bump the player base there.

This would operate similar to Factions where a guild could get special services for providing enough faction to the luxons or kurzicks. It would operate on a zone to zone basis, however. This would make it quite difficult for one guild to control more than 1 zone if there are were amy guilds of similar size and organization.

Proven

In the EotM beta, the UI was almost the same, except for the queue display. Good thing they will be adding this soon. I hope now the queue will actually work as a queue. :D

There was a youtube video of a guy playing bunker warrior with banner/regen stuff, just trolling the enemies next to their respawn in WvW. Can't seem to find it, so I'll be grateful if anyone has a link.

I don't recall the UI being different during the first couple tests, and I missed almost all of them after the first few weeks. But I could have just forgotten and ran straight into the portal too often.

Also, I was only able to find this guy because he was linked on SA a month or two ago: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cH9JjnaW3rE

He has several other videos, so you can take your pick. He's been making videos like this for at least a year.

Shiokazu

For wvw/pvp? It been nerf to the point where you can't keep your initiative up without certain trait or util skills.

hmm meaning that its a little safer out there. even if it is still viable, if the damage was nerfed im good.

------------------

btw, did anyone noticed this?

LD9j3JF.jpg

its in scarlet's base, its quite huge, what it looks like to you?

Proven

It's been noticed, discussed, and discarded. I think the only conclusion that made it to the thread was that we don't know which one it's supposed to be.

kiriin

hmm meaning that its a little safer out there. even if it is still viable, if the damage was nerfed im good.

It still the most common build in wvw and spvp mainly because its safe and easy (boring imo). You still do decent burst. It just a lot harder to keep up the permastealth if you play recklessly.

Complistic

------------------

btw, did anyone noticed this?

LD9j3JF.jpg

its in scarlet's base, its quite huge, what it looks like to you?

Its a self portrait. She's not a very good artist.

Shiokazu

It still the most common build in wvw and spvp mainly because its safe and easy (boring imo). You still do decent burst. It just a lot harder to keep up the permastealth if you play recklessly.

at least now its a less of a unfair advantage. back it was stupid even, guy could walk around and even mock you using the slash commands and then just ohko you, even my carrior\soldier guardian with dolly runes used to fall easily to those.

it was stupid to even try wvw for me back'em, i suck against invisible enemies.

Its a self portrait. She's not a very good artist.

oh. i see...

GrizzNKev

Banned
I got a pretty good tour. I saw pretty much the whole place, all the awesome art (there are little to no walls that aren't completely covered in art), the big Charr figure, and the status monitors by the kitchen which I checked out to see Stormbluff hanging in 7th for WvW. They've got a great view of downtown Seattle, plenty of meeting rooms and even a classroom. Being that it was a sound design field trip, we spent most of the time in the foley room and the adjacent audio director's office.

We got to see all of their awesome recording equipment, heard stories about how they created certain sound effects, learned about what it takes to get a job in their audio department and where some of the staff was before joining ANet. We also got a work session demonstration of how the old mesmer skill preview video got its sound and how that changed from concept to in-game. We were also shown the project session for one of the newer cutscenes, the one with the exploding and collapsing tower.

No Colin sighting. :( The community appreciation wall was really cute though.

Oh, we were also told about how they created the soundtrack for the Marionette fight, and how they took into consideration the part of the world it was set in when composing the music, and how to contrast it with its surroundings. There was also a discussion about different categories of sounds and how those are set up, what types of sounds play during different gameplay states, the challenges of audio synchronization over networks, simultaneous playback/channel limitations, ray tracing for proper texture and prop reverb, how much processing budget they're allowed, and more stuff. Lots of stuff.

GrizzNKev

Banned
Sounds really cool grizz, glad you had a nice time.

Maybe I could get a tour around the place, it's not too far a drive...

It was through my school, their audio director is involved in the development of my degree program. Being in the GAF guild prompted the discussion though, because it gave me a chance to reach the audio director, James Ackely, through Colin.

Jira

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/world-vs-world-queue-improvements/

On Tuesday, February 4, we’re releasing the new Edge of the Mists WvW map and major improvement to the queuing system for WvW. We’ve been doing some behind-the-scenes work on our systems to provide more transparency with the queue and to fix some of the frustrations players have had with it.
It was vital to us that we make these changes as a part of the release of the Edge of the Mists, which introduces a brand-new overflow map to WvW, allowing all players interested in WvW to have the smoothest experience possible without the wait.

The first time you will experience the new queue system is when you attempt to enter one of the existing WvW maps in the updated WvW UI screen. Each map now has its own entry button that contains information about the queue for that map. If there is no queue, the button will say “ready” and you can instantly join that map. Otherwise, the button will indicate the number of players already in the queue and allow you to join the queue for the map. Once you are queued, your position will be updated in the UI screen so that you can see how many players there are ahead of you for the map you have chosen. When your position in the queue is up, you will be given the option to join the map you queued for or to remain in the map you are currently in.

We also made a number of quality of life updates to WvW. The WvW UI will now show the status of your world’s match up when you are in an overflow map, a dungeon, structured PvP, or guesting on another server. In WvW, the right-click context menu that may be used for party invites and other social functions will now correctly show more options than just “report” while still restricting communication options with enemies. The player location information that shows up while mousing over a contact will now also correctly display that player’s map and world while they’re in WvW.

With the Edge of the Mists update on February 4, players can play in a WvW environment and gain associated WvW rewards while queued for the existing Mist War maps that affect the weekly score. Now you will also be able to see just where you are in the queue and look forward to joining the fight as soon as possible!

Shiokazu

i was reading around the forums and, i think the GW2 playerbase that is crying there just waste too much time on the forums than actually playing.

if the current content is too hard, or is not working for you, or you dont like it, you have many options. and i mean it.

1st you can go to the mists, either SPVP or WVW.

2nd daily activities. have you ever tried keg brawl? its fucking cool, every time i join i have a blast.

3rd jumping puzzles, they're challenging, they're fun, sometimes the rewards arent as nice but, if you're lucky enough you can catch a glimpse of a map from a different angle, and end up with a breathtaking view. ( come on, tyria is fucking beautiful, just hang around timberline for a while and you will see. )

4th Crafting. crafting is nice, gets you loads of gold and experience, AND its a mode you can even choose your rewards!

5th Exploration itself is amazing in guild wars. pick a map, go on walking around, talk to npcs, sit down on some settlements to just listen to their dialogs, or i dont know just chill around. its something i do often in wayfarer foothills, you know? The place with the termal fountains, i love hanging around that place.

6th dynamic events, go around the world, do any event that pops on your radar, they're nice, give you gold karma and experience, sometimes even loot, besides its so fucking fun, i love jumping into dynamic events, pushing the centaurs back in kessex, or defending some fortress in fireheart rise. getting the hylek territory back in sparkfly

7th world bosses, i bet theres a ton of people like vyrance who drive entire trains of world bosses now, they're fun, nice, and give a good reward ( but SB, that one can be solo'ed )

8th dungeons/fractals, try to beat a dungeon. ok, i know nowdays we mostly run a dungeon but, get a day to just beat it the way it was designed to be. its so fucking fun! Hawk was doing something of a sort some weeks ago, i was with him, and let me tell what: WE HAD A BLAST!

9th Iddle chatting: yes, its fun, even in LA. sometimes i do that because i just feel very tired.

10th this is something stupid but i consider it a way of playing the game, Gathering resources. I do that from time to time, it involves exploring areas and finding a sweet spot with the right kind of mob and staying there killing them, or just roaming looking for nodes. OR EVEN BETTER theres a site that gives you the positions of the current nodes!

11th this is for the hardcore players, people that really like to FIND fun. Its called Self Challenge.
its like when i decide that im going to hunt karkas naked, for exemple.
i really do this kind of stuff, i end up learning more about my skills, my traits and other deep things from my current build/profession or character. without reading guides or stuff, since i like creating my solutions without help from the scrath.

i could bring up 11 things, and bet i could bring even more things.

i dont know whats wrong with the playerbase myself. why they whine so much? frankly i do think the marioboss is challenging, but shes not hard. its just requires some practice and a little bit of thinking. but then again paraphrasing what Retro said one of those days

" You're expecting people to think? "

honestly, even if there werent any rewards involved, i would still love these contents. like with darksouls you dont really get rewards from bosses, you just have to bleed, to sweat, to cry, to feel the pain, but once you beat that boss and you go like

4886260+_a03ed4c17219f996ac11ddeac770737a.gif

thats my reward. and guess what? Guild Wars 2 has plenty of it.

and i like it.

thats my drug, thats what keeps me going on, can even make the pains of IRL go away.

its wonderful.

i ask again, WHATS THESE GUY'S FUCKING PROBLEM MAN!?

this playerbase makes me feel depressed, i think im going to play some guild wars to forget about it.

Retro

i was reading around the forums and, i think the GW2 playerbase that is crying there just waste too much time on the forums than actually playing.

You could have stopped right there, but that was still worth saying. That said, you're preaching to the choir here. I think the developers know exactly who posts at the official forums and can tell a respectable post from the noise, the problem is just that it takes so long to sort it all out.

Anyways, good post.

the next elder dragon is a dragon praying mantis shrimp. we're doomed. we'are all DOOOMED.

Duuuuuude, don't even mention that shit, Mantis Shrimp are scary. They can supposedly crack aquarium glass. My brother had a little one come in on a piece of liverock and after it killed everything in the tank, simply could not be captured. My brother ended up just draining the tank and dumping everything into the trash rather than take a chance it was still alive.

Guys what do you think? I made it because I was bored!

Duuuuuude, don't even mention that shit, Mantis Shrimp are scary. They can supposedly crack aquarium glass. My brother had a little one come in on a piece of liverock and after it killed everything in the tank, simply could not be captured. My brother ended up just draining the tank and dumping everything into the trash rather than take a chance it was still alive.

jesus. thats terrifying:O

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom