• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seil

Oh great. People are reporting it completely broke the Mac client. Guess I'm not playing when I get home. >=

I hadn't noticed much of a drop until just now at Marionette where I had some terrible performance in the lanes. I fear for EOTM when it's working after that =/ May have to install and play in Bootcamp, though I'd really rather not.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Jury duty + spontaneously dying PC, week not off to a great start. Hope to check this release out as soon as I can...

Agkel

whuuuut?

patched the game
logged in
kos invited me to a karka
zoned in
got immediately kicked out of the game and started patching something else
I cry

swnny

I was seeing steady 60 frames way more often now. Ill have to try it out on laptop to see if it help low end systems as they said it would.

Can I ask you(and whoever is willing to help me test this out) to post some screens with CPU and GPU usages (task manager on performance tab and afterburner for example) while running around Lion's Arch and then some empty map(like the swamp in Plains of Ashford, we discussed a while back in the thread)? Of course, with your specs and game settings listed. :)

I'm with AMD FX-8320, 8GB ram and GTX760, 1440x900 and high to ultra settings, yet I'm getting lots of drops and unconsistant framerates while running around. Minimum fps can go as low as single digits in some fights (wurm, or large wvw zerg). Maximum fps is like 80 or so, but it's always in between, jumping up and down like crazy.
Checked the usage, and I'm getting like 30-40% CPU usage and no more then 50% GPU usage.

Gonna post some screens tomorrow (it's 3:42AM here), but I want to have something to compare them to.

Been a good day for GW2 shots:

VcBdhjx.jpg

Edge of the Mists is such a beautiful place, looking forward to taking more shots:

qcIJHe2.jpg

And fun:

qx5yAfb.jpg

^^^
Mega-Destroyer, now brought to you by Audi.

Can I ask you(and whoever is willing to help me test this out) to post some screens with CPU and GPU usages (task manager on performance tab and afterburner for example) while running around Lion's Arch and then some empty map(like the swamp in Plains of Ashford, we discussed a while back in the thread)? Of course, with your specs and game settings listed. :)

I'm with AMD FX-8320, 8GB ram and GTX760, 1440x900 and high to ultra settings, yet I'm getting lots of drops and unconsistant framerates while running around. Minimum fps can go as low as single digits in some fights (wurm, or large wvw zerg). Maximum fps is like 80 or so, but it's always in between, jumping up and down like crazy.
Checked the usage, and I'm getting like 30-40% CPU usage and no more then 50% GPU usage.

Gonna post some screens tomorrow (it's 3:42AM here), but I want to have something to compare them to.
Up until this optimization update it seems to me that the GW2 community has argued that AMD processors do not perform as smoothly as their Intel counterparts. Here's one example. I'm not sure how true this is, but everything I've read states that this game is heavily dependent on instructions per clock (IPC) and the more recent Intel offerings are better at it than AMD's.

To use an example, TechReport did a great review of GW2 frametimes using the latest AMD and Nvidia cards. Their test system uses a stock i7. Your 760 is no slouch and using an Intel CPU that website was able to achieve respectable frametimes at 1440p.
GVxNMqg.png

LnpFUQU.jpg

To answer your request, here were my measurements during a 5 minute stay in front of the busiest place in Lion's Arch, zoomed out to capture as many players in one screen.
CPU and GPU usage at Lion's Arch mystic forge:
I've also read that, prior to update, this game only really used 2 CPU cores. Edit: I just noticed the average CPU usage hitting >70%. That's encouraging.

Closest thing to GPU usage meter I have is GPU-Z; I have the maximums measured during the 5 min stay in LA (I have seen 94% load with this card):

Game settings:

PC build:
i5-3570K @ 4.6
8GB RAM
780Ti with factory overclock

I have noticed a small 3 fps increase at the LA mystic forge since the patch, which would correspond to a 10% increase to my system. Everyone gets large drops in a zerg situation; I don't anticipate huge optimization improvements here from Anet. At this point the most signficant improvements I myself can do to my system to improve the smoothness (not necessarily absolute FPS numbers) is to try out G-sync and wait for a future Intel CPU that can easily overclock to 5+ GHz without delidding or going to a custom water loop.

GrizzNKev

Banned
Ended up convincing a friend to come back to this game after not playing since launch. He's not a GAFfer though, so I didn't say anything about the guild. Had fun playing though, it's always nice to have a companion to get things done in lower level areas.

Hope this is useful. Let me know if I got the right screens that you wanted.

Plains of Ashford
Notice I use RadeonPro tool (suggested by Varix) to do SMAA.

Lion's Arch

EOTM (getting 60 at portal) + CPU and GPU details (HD7950) (nothing overclocked)

Finished the investigation bit last night, wow, lots of questions raised here...

Steam creatures are linked to scarlet somehow? Since when was this hinted at? Or is it just saying she was very familar with them, and thus was able to use that knowledge to take over the watchworks?

Looking at the revolations thus far, it seems like Scarlet needed a toxin to fight something big, the power of the laylines below lions arch, an army to take said city, and a giant mecha monster to fight something, presumably, as large, and was researching Dragon energies.

I think shes trying to fight an elder dragon, not realizing shes actually helping it in many ways by culling the people who could possibly fight it.

But why would it target her, and not someone else? Vapp mentions that the only thing that Omadd's chamber contained where things she brought into it. So I wonder if this dragon could be the jungle dragon, and that dragon is, in some way, connected to the dream and to the Pale Tree herself. We know she is not the only one of her kind in Tyria, nor are the sylvari of the grove the only sylvari in the world. What are the odds that the other pale tree is corrupted by the dragon, or perhaps, the seeds were born form it in the first place? Though, Malyck does not seem like a dragon follower, vowing instead to bring an army to fight them, when he returns. Granted, he had no memory, so may have forgotten about the dragon's influence on his tree. For all he knows, he could have been a scout sent to investigate the Pale tree.

Nightmare could be the part of the pale tree's own lineage she is trying to protect her children from. After all, it manifests in the shape of a dragon in the origin story. We have also been told the sylvari play a major role in season 2 of the living story.

Finished the investigation bit last night, wow, lots of questions raised here...

Steam creatures are linked to scarlet somehow? Since when was this hinted at? Or is it just saying she was very familar with them, and thus was able to use that knowledge to take over the watchworks?

Looking at the revolations thus far, it seems like Scarlet needed a toxin to fight something big, the power of the laylines below lions arch, an army to take said city, and a giant mecha monster to fight something, presumably, as large, and was researching Dragon energies.

I think shes trying to fight an elder dragon, not realizing shes actually helping it in many ways by culling the people who could possibly fight it.

But why would it target her, and not someone else? Vapp mentions that the only thing that Omadd's chamber contained where things she brought into it. So I wonder if this dragon could be the jungle dragon, and that dragon is, in some way, connected to the dream and to the Pale Tree herself. We know she is not the only one of her kind in Tyria, nor are the sylvari of the grove the only sylvari in the world. What are the odds that the other pale tree is corrupted by the dragon, or perhaps, the seeds were born form it in the first place? Though, Malyck does not seem like a dragon follower, vowing instead to bring an army to fight them, when he returns. Granted, he had no memory, so may have forgotten about the dragon's influence on his tree. For all he knows, he could have been a scout sent to investigate the Pale tree.

Nightmare could be the part of the pale tree's own lineage she is trying to protect her children from. After all, it manifests in the shape of a dragon in the origin story. We have also been told the sylvari play a major role in season 2 of the living story.

It's being said that the Watchknights design was based on the design of the Steam Creatures. Scarlet already knew how to control the Steam Creatures to controlling the Watchknights was simple. I don't recall the Steam Creatures specifically but whether they're Scarlets creations or not, she knew how to control them

I'm also taking Vapp's words regarding Omadd's device with a grain of salt. Remember that the Asura are logical to a fault. He said that as a statement of fact, as in.. there's literally nothing inside the device other than what someone would bring into the device with them, meaning that he doesn't believe the device to be capable of exposing Scarlet to some mysterious power, being, or anything like that. I don't recall that anyone else was actually put inside Omadd's device while it was activated. Scarlet was the first and last one right?

Luigi87

Really liked the story part of this update (and more background development of the heroic characters)
But of course, since Taimi joined up, the heroic figures are now composed of Humans, a Charr, a Norn, and a Asura.
The villain of course is a Sylvari... I will be so very disappointed if this really doesn't lead to that Sylvari-Mordremoth connection theory.

The theory that I tent to lean towards is that, somehow the Pale Tree has been able to hide the fact that Sylvari might be a by-product of Mordremoth, might not be straight out minion of Mordremoth but they came about because of that dragon awakening.

I think deep inside all Sylvari know this but Pale Tree has figured out a way to hide it, which is why she wanted Scarlet to look away and not find out the truth about the fact that they are somehow related to Mordremoth. I think because she didn't listen to the Pale Tree, Mordremoth was able to use her as his puppet.

I think a big hint about Sylvari is that they seem to have sprung up only after the Dragons awoke which is kind of strange if you think about it.

My only theory about whey she wants to destroy Lion's Arch and possibly the 3 Orders HQs is because Mordremoth knows that the Lion's Guard and the 3 Orders were what destroyed Zhaitan and he does not want the same thing to happen to him.

I really like the story too, and hope I can redo it on another character because I want to investigate if the journal in Dead End Bar gives a different password for the console, which is what some people speculated in the Official Forums Lore section.

The theory that I tent to lean towards is that, somehow the Pale Tree has been able to hide the fact that Sylvari might be a by-product of Mordremoth, might not be straight out minion of Mordremoth but they came about because of that dragon awakening.

I think deep inside all Sylvari know this but Pale Tree has figured out a way to hide it, which is why she wanted Scarlet to look away and not find out the truth about the fact that they are somehow related to Mordremoth. I think because she didn't listen to the Pale Tree, Mordremoth was able to use her as his puppet.

I think a big hint about Sylvari is that they seem to have sprung up only after the Dragons awoke which is kind of strange if you think about it.

My only theory about whey she wants to destroy Lion's Arch and possibly the 3 Orders HQs is because Mordremoth knows that the Lion's Guard and the 3 Orders were what destroyed Zhaitan and he does not want the same thing to happen to him.

I really like the story too, and hope I can redo it on another character because I want to investigate if the journal in Dead End Bar gives a different password for the console, which is what some people speculated in the Official Forums Lore section.

I only noticed one code in the journal and I wrote it down. I could tell you if you'd like.

Edit: For Clarification, I mean I could tell you if it's a new code or not.

swnny

Thank you, both hockeypuck and Kos Luftar!

Here are my screens. I tried to replicate the screenshots as close as possible and with wait time of 5 minutes (I want to underline those 5 minutes, because that's how the Resource Monitor calculates the average usage). Sorry for the clusterf*ck of windows, but I have only one, small monitor (19", 1440x900 res).

First is the Lion's Arch screen. I was afk for ~5minutes, but on EU Desolation server it's really crowded, and there are people running all over the place.

As you can see, there are lot's of players all around the screen, yet the Resource Monitor indicates an average of 40% CPU usage. Task Manager shows us a really spiky and uneven distribution graph for the 8 cores.
The GPU usage is jumping like crazy up and down between 64% and 44% of usage. Still the FPS (as can be seen on the bottom graph in afterburner) is a constant 32-33fps.

Next is the Plains of Ashford screen:
Here, no other players are "interfering" and as I'm afking, one would expect a perfect straight graph on both CPU and GPU usage.
Well, at least for the CPU, that's definitely not the case at all. Task manager shows another spiky and uneven graph across all cores, and Resource Monitor is reporting an average of 27% CPU usage.
The GPU graph is a lot more close to what one would expect. A line with just with bumps of 1-2%s, and only one dip to 57% (which may be caused be me swapping applications like crazy, to get the shot). In any case, that's what it should look like in a properly coded and optimized game/engine.
Framerate is another constant of 61-62fps.

Now the EotM screen:
There are players running around the screen often, but also there is little terrain/props in this scene.
CPU usage is still uneven, spiky and an overall mess to look at. Average of 36%...
GPU graph is a bit more spiky then the screen above, but still manages to get up to 136fps with ~50% usage.

As I'm not a fan of synthetic benchmarks, and just afking in a game is nowhere near close as actually playing it, here is a quick fight I managed to join in the Edge of the Mists:
And now we can clearly see the whole problem of CPU and GPU utilization, which is practically N-O-N-E.
Both CPU and GPU usage graphs are all over the place, jumping and failing from mid 50% to as low as 20%.
Framerate is more then crap going up and down 15-30fps... A complete and absolute mess.

Finaly, my PC's specs + the temps and my game's video settings, because I didn't have the room to take a screen of them as well:

Later tonight (or tomorrow) I will try to get a friend of mine with a i5-3570k and 7950 to make similar screenshots, but I'm absolutly sure they will not be very different from mine, as mine ain't very different from hockey's and Kos'.
So, what do you guys think? Can we get Anet's attention on the matter, because the game performance is like this since beta (with some adjustments and few improvements)

Same basic theory I had. The fact that the pale trees seeds were guarded by plant monsters, and the pale tree knowing that entering the device woudl change scarlet, combined with the dragon in the dream, the probes attracting jungle worms like the great jungle worm in Caledon, all points to Mordremoth/Jungle Dragon to me.

It's being said that the Watchknights design was based on the design of the Steam Creatures. Scarlet already knew how to control the Steam Creatures to controlling the Watchknights was simple. I don't recall the Steam Creatures specifically but whether they're Scarlets creations or not, she knew how to control them

I'm also taking Vapp's words regarding Omadd's device with a grain of salt. Remember that the Asura are logical to a fault. He said that as a statement of fact, as in.. there's literally nothing inside the device other than what someone would bring into the device with them, meaning that he doesn't believe the device to be capable of exposing Scarlet to some mysterious power, being, or anything like that. I don't recall that anyone else was actually put inside Omadd's device while it was activated. Scarlet was the first and last one right?

If Vapp is correct though, then it means that what is driving her mad was always a part of her, something the NPC's also seem to agree with.

If shes talking to a dragon, then it would suggest that the dragon was always a part of her as well.

If Vapp is correct though, then it means that what is driving her mad was always a part of her, something the NPC's also seem to agree with.

If shes talking to a dragon, then it would suggest that the dragon was always a part of her as well.

Maybe he is part of all Sylvari but she is the only one who looked inside her self using this device to find the truth.

I think we got this solved.

I also did the investigations. Was surprised that people on my server were surprised Kasmeer and J are a couple. A discussion went on for a few hours afterwards about the stereotypical traits about lesbians.

I actually like them. Kasmeer and J are much better than what we got Kiel and those characters. So the they have gotten much better.

But story wise, what I am really looking forward to is seeing more cinematics and story cut scenes in this style: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGZPSBod6d4

This trailer IS PERFECT for telling the story inside the game.

I also did the investigations. Was surprised that people on my server were surprised Kasmeer and J are a couple. A discussion went on for a few hours afterwards about the stereotypical traits about lesbians.

I actually like them. Kasmeer and J are much better than what we got Kiel and those characters. So the they have gotten much better.

But story wise, what I am really looking forward to is seeing more cinematics and story cut scenes in this style: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGZPSBod6d4

This trailer IS PERFECT for telling the story inside the game.

I thought it was pretty obvious they were sweet on each other. Furthermore, no one seems to have any issue with such relationships in tyria. Heck, Countess Anise will hit on you as a human noble, regardless of your gender.

I thought it was pretty obvious they were sweet on each other. Furthermore, no one seems to have any issue with such relationships in tyria. Heck, Countess Anise will hit on you as a human noble, regardless of your gender.

I think it's great.

I remember in Dragon Age 2, I was annoyed at the gay relationship because they forced it on you. You had this party member, Anders, and if you did not court him you lost influence with him, and it annoyed me because it didnt made sense in his character. It really suits them in GW2, and it does not feel like they are doing it just because.

Tolerance can become intolerance if it's smeared in insincerity

Ashodin

Maybe he is part of all Sylvari but she is the only one who looked inside her self using this device to find the truth.

I think it's a bit different from that. People seem to think Mordremoth himself created the Sylvari, but the Pale Tree is the one that ... wait a minute.

I just had an intriguing idea.

What if the Pale Trees are Mordremoth's defenses? He grows a giant sentient tree that allows him to create plant warriors to do his bidding - on any part of the world (explains Malyck). What also if the Pale Tree grew powerful enough to resist Mordremoth's influence, gaining sentience and a will? The only way I can see this happening is if Mordremoth is still sleeping, unlike the other dragons. Mordremoth's sleeping influence could be the Nightmare, allowing Sylvari to kind of "break away" from the Pale Tree, tapping into that part of their psyche that is always controlled by Mordremoth, the one that the Pale Tree sealed away. They can't fully access it, because they're still connected to the Pale Tree (it is said the Pale Tree receives the memories even of the Nightmare Court, so this must be true).

Scarlet (Ceara) did something worse by overwriting the Pale Tree's influence by using Omadd's machine, allowing her free will to see into herself. This utterly backfired, as she must have encountered Mordremoth's essence within herself, it realized she was fully out of the Pale Tree's control, and started trying to take her over (to this day she continues to fight it, as you can hear from the holo recordings of her).

Her crazed plans have been to create a way to summon Mordremoth to the strongest leyline she knows (dragons eat magic yo), which happens to be in LA (the light is green, Mordremoth has burrowed his way to LA), and using a toxin powerful enough, a giant Marionette to fight, a drill on the other side to get him out if he doesn't come out himself, and her own PACT of enemies and watchknights, she wants to destroy it just like we did Zhaitan.

Bonus: She totally has a pact. Aetherblades have humans, norn, charr in them, Fire Legion charr, Inquest asura, Nightmare Court renegade Sylvari, and "lesser" races including Krait, Dredge, and the Watchknights.

My theories about Mordremoth always being a part of Sylvari (either that Mordremoth just controls Sylvari and plants in general, but the Pale Tree can stop that influence, or my other theory above) were heightened by this passage from the Short Story What Scarlet Saw

Please: go no further. In seeking to comprehend the forces that shape us, you will unleash them. Society cannot withstand that.

Forces that shape us. The Dragon, Mordremoth?

Now do you see? The Pale Tree’s voice was faint and distant, but it snapped Ceara back to viewing the tree from a distance. If you are not one with what you were born to be, you are lost. Worse, you are dangerous.

If you are not one with what you were born to be. The Sylvari are never independent. That is their lot in life. They may act it, but they always have a "destiny" fulfilled by the Pale Tree. It is all it can do to make sure they don't fall into Mordremoth's grasp.

Worse, you are dangerous. As a minion of an Elder Dragon.

Warning: Incoming Wall-o-Text! Apologies for the extra scroll work to get past it.

I think what can be considered, given the context clues, is that the Dragons are in some way a part of if not directly derived from Tyria itself. Their first recent awakening happened in 1078 AE.... just 7 years after The Cataclysm that sunk Orr. Their goal appears to be nothing less than destroying all life. So perhaps, they're awakened as sort of a self defense mechanism for the planet? They were awakened previously, something like 11,000 years before GW2 but I haven't found anything that could indicate why they were awoken then.

However if we consider the theory that they are a part of the planet then there very well could be a rather intimate connection between them and The Pale Tree since the Pale Tree definitely seems to be a magical plant derived from Tyria itself as well. Hell the Sylvari could have been the planet's originally intended replacement Race had Glint not interfered and saved those that she did during the Dragons first raising. Eventually, The Six Gods appeared (though I don't know where from) and they "brought" Humans to Tyria. Ronan stumbles upon magical seeds in a cave and basically steals one. He plants it and tends to it along with Ventari and as a result seed grows though their influences into The Pale Trees. Before he dies, Ventari creates the Ventari Tablet which now serves as the basis for The Pale Trees philosophies.

Now here's where I'm going to go out a limb (Shout out to Retro).

Reading up on all of this has made me consider.. if The Pale Tree is of Tyria and The Elder Dragons are of Tyria.. then why would they be at odds? When considered with the elements uncovered in the investigation of Scarlet... it leads me to believe that perhaps it was specifically the influence of Ronan and Ventari that puts The Pale Tree and thus it's Sylvari at odds with the Elder Dragons and allied with the other races. Which could mean that the Sylvari's true intended nature (as in one without The Pale Tree's influence) could be one that would be at odds with the other races. That would mean that, at least to some extent, The Nightmare Court could actually be the more natural of the Sylvari. Not completely as they would have been had the seed been planted after the Elder Dragons fell asleep again having destoyed all the races in their first awakening, but still a bit closer to a "natural" Sylvari.

What this could result in would be Tyria trying to correct the perversion of The Pale Tree by having the Jungle Dragon Mordremoth (henceforth referred to as "Mothy") use his power to influence The Dream. This would conflict with The Pale Tree's values and so she would then try to shield her Sylvari from Mothys influence. Omadd's device could then have broken that shielding or barrier within Scarlet (who was already fiercely independent) giving Mothy the ability to influence her directly. The result is a Scarlet who seems to be simultaneously serving the will or desire of another (Mothy in my theory) while also trying to fight against them. So the preperations, the plans, could very well both serve to fully awaken Mothy but also to prepare her to fight against him in an attempt to wrest herself from his control.

That's my theory as it stands now taking both of your input into account. It's complicated and unlikely. Probably loaded with holes and definitely full of guesses primarily formed through conjecture.

Edit: Dammit Ash! You wall'd-o-texted while I was fine tuning my wall-o-text! Now I have to go back and read yours and compare it to my own theories.

Second Edit: Interesting that our theories overlap in a few places. I wonder which will be more accurate? One things for sure, I'll be thoroughly annoyed if Anet pulls the rug out from everyone and the whole thing is a giant red herring. "lol j/k she was just crazy /colinsmileyface"

Wall-o-Text!.

The only thing I would add/change about your theory is that I think in the investigation instance someone said that she is losing the battle with who ever is controlling her. I think because of how much the players hate her, I think she will just lose that battle and Mothy will control her till we kill her. I do not think she is trying to destroy Mothy, because she no longer has control.
Also I do not think she will use the Marionette against LA. The thing the Marionette comes out of will be doing most of the damage to LA.

I do not think we will see a Dragon at the end of the update, we will just learn the truth about who was controlling Scarlet and maybe hints that we will be going after who ever that is, in the next living story update.

Shiokazu

i dont think very much of it being a dragon... i mean, the thing thats controlling her, but i dont know what is it.

there are just some points i look for when i think of stuff, might help to confirm or to think on more theories as to what is going to be, those are:

why are sylvari immune to all dragon corruption?

Scarlet is not acting much as a dragon, shes plainly destroying things, instead of claiming, dragons dont destroy, they consume, think of the circle of life, now think of the dragons, thats how they work: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ni8ovR2LajM as Glint has teached the zephyrites.

on the previous point, an If: Should a dragon be controlling scarlet, then all this mindless destruction is a well done way of keeping the low profille, plus, having chance to scout the ground before launching itself into battle.

next is the Pale Tree and its origins, the seeds. they were guarded by as the story told by ronan says, guarded by some kind of leafy monsters. now why did the seeds had to be hidden in a hidden cave, protected by leafy monsters?

then to magic, it is known that the dragons live out of magic, they literally eat magic, the dragons only emerge when hungry. once they're satisfied, they go back to sleep, while they are asleep they leak magic onto the world, until the world is filled with magic once again, and thats when they rise up to eat once more.

then i link stuff to the Eternal Alchemy. what ceara saw was not and could be not the eternal alchemy, as it cannot be seen.

next thing is that the dragon minions have a type of hive mind, almost the same way sylvari share their thoughts through the dream.

just some points. MAYBE it can bring some light to some theories, confirm stuff, or even help people develop more things.

but one thing is clear:
Scarlet is going to wipe lions arch GOOD

Ashodin

Yeah Jest our line of thinking is the same as your last paragraph there, pretty dope!

Also this:

"The forces that push us this way or that can be redirected. They can be set against one another to the detriment of both, and now I know how.” - Scarlet

Eh? Is she planning on putting us against the dragon for her own gain?

Yeah Jest our line of thinking is the same as your last paragraph there, pretty dope!

Also this:

"The forces that push us this way or that can be redirected. They can be set against one another to the detriment of both, and now I know how.” - Scarlet

Eh? Is she planning on putting us against the dragon for her own gain?

Dragon against Pale Tree? Dragon vs Dragon?

Retro

Look, all I'm sayin is: Gods disappeared, Dragons showed up. Six Gods, Six Dragons.

Ya heard?

Supposedly the human Gods are ignorant of the dragons; they only sensed a great magical power under the land that would become Orr. They had no idea they built their city over an Elder Dragon;

Zhaitan, like the other Elder Dragons, is thought to have last awakened 10,000 years ago, around the time of the disappearance of the Giganticus Lupicus, and then fallen back into slumber from consuming all life they could find. For more than a millennium, it rested beneath the land that would become the Kingdom of Orr. When the Six Human Gods revoked the gift of magic back into the Bloodstone to split it into the familiar four schools in 1 BE, they tapped into the dormant dragon's energy and increased the power of magic in doing so, not knowing of Zhaitan's existence.

They just thought the Artesian Waters were a natural wellspring of magic.

Proven

Don't really want to get into all the theories being thrown about. Some stuff I disagree with, some stuff is obvious if you've played through the story instances this update, and some stuff just sounds like people forgot some history but figured it out again anyway. But this here:
Look, all I'm sayin is: Gods disappeared, Dragons showed up. Six Gods, Six Dragons.

Ya heard?

Doesn't make much sense when you consider the current state of Orr.

Also, I'm sad in general about the response to the rank 30 requirement for the Gift of Battle. I'm not sure which way I feel about it either.

Lunar15

I'm not implying that the two are one in the same, but rather that the disappearance of one and the rise of another is connected.

There were connections being made between the dragons and the Gods as early as EotN.

xeris

GAF SPVP NIGHT

When: Tomorrow, 8pm EST
Where: SPVP lobby area.

Note: There may or may not be homicidal traffic guards.

JDvsAXl.jpg

hythloday

I thought quaggans in love were great but there is nothing cuter on this side of the internet than Taimi. Fact.

She's an orphan and her legs are too weak for her to walk far. Right in the feels, ArenaNet, right in the got-dang feels.

Later tonight (or tomorrow) I will try to get a friend of mine with a i5-3570k and 7950 to make similar screenshots, but I'm absolutly sure they will not be very different from mine, as mine ain't very different from hockey's and Kos'.
So, what do you guys think? Can we get Anet's attention on the matter, because the game performance is like this since beta (with some adjustments and few improvements)
To make a true comparison you gotta have the same in-game settings (especially resolution), as well as the same GPU. When I change my settings to match yours as closely as possible, I get a 50% increased framerate at Plains of Ashford and in LA:
We can't tell if that's due to the different CPU, clockspeed, or all due to the GPU difference. A 7950 and 760 are actually closely matched, so if your friend with the 3570K @ 4.5 gets way more than 60 fps at that WP with your game settings, then we know our answer.

This game does not make good use of hyperthreading or virtual cores. I would not expect an i7 to have any meaningful improvement over an i5, unless the patch changed that. I think Anet's optimizations are decent, but I suspect they are hamstrung by the GW1 engine, Umbra, DX9, 32-bit 4GB RAM limit, etc. From a technical standpoint, I'm intrigued with Everquest Next with their 64-bit OS requirement and how that will affect performance.

swnny

I'm not looking for a comparison between settings and fps.
More like utilizing different hardware and framerates we would get with it. Mostly, because I don't think it's normal (or even considered "optimized") to have a game run like this (30-40fps) on a overclocked ivy i5 with a 760/7950 or even 780 GPUs. :)

I'm dying to know what PCs run the game at Anet's office/studio and what they consider a playable framerate.

Plus, I can dig out a video interview with Colin(or at least I think it was him) in 2010 or 2011, who was saying that they are working on/testing the game on old PCs with video cards that (at the time) are old and cannot be found on the market, with the idea of having an optimized game.
I haven't released they were using GTX760/HD7950 4 years ago. :D

Taffer

Went to check out some BL weapon skins as I got a lucky claim ticket a while ago and decided to get one of the Lovely Weapons™ (mostly because all the other skins cost more than one ticket).
Now I see I could sell it for ~55G on the TP or give my Guardian a Lovely Sword™.

Hmmmmmmmm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom