• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taffer

So getting back into this..can I play with you guys regardless what server I am on?

If you're on a US server you can guest over to Stormbluff Isle (or any other US server up to a limit of two different servers a day) from the character select screen whenever you want to, you don't have to guest to run dungeons with people on a different server. You can't play World vs World on any server but your own though.

Retro

New Build:
Bug Fixes:
Added reward chests for capturing reactor objectives in Edge of the Mists.
Fixed a bug in which mesmer clones and phantasms would shatter prematurely if their target went into stealth.
Bridges in Edge of the Mists no longer award WXP when destroyed.
Made some improvements to the Triple Trouble event chain.

Bold-facing that one since GAF was responsible for bringing this to their attention.

So getting back into this..can I play with you guys regardless what server I am on?

As long as you're in North America, yes. You can guest to any server in the same region, with the only restriction being that you can't guest to more than two places in a 24 hour period (so if you guest to Stormbluff Isle where most of GAF is at, you can guest to another server as well).

You won't be able to participate with us in World vs. World orthe new Edge of the Mists area, since those involve servers fighting each other and being able to switch sides would throw things off.

If you're just starting again and you're not terribly high level, you could delete all of your characters and just re-roll on Stormbluff Isle. If you have other characters you created around the same time as the one with the Birthday booster, you can grab those, stash them in your bank, and kick a character up to 20 again instantly.

Edit: Beaten by Taffer.

Retro

Nope and I am on right now. Where should I go as lvl 20 now? I was like level 12 lol.

What's your character name or account name (name.####).

You can keep leveling in the same zone you were in; you'll still get plenty of experience, the rewards scale up, and since you're down-leveled the difficulty will still be about what it should be (maybe a little bit easier since you can equip more gear like Shoulder and Head items that aren't available early on).

Sarcasm

What's your character name or account name (name.####).

You can keep leveling in the same zone you were in; you'll still get plenty of experience, the rewards scale up, and since you're down-leveled the difficulty will still be about what it should be (maybe a little bit easier since you can equip more gear like Shoulder and Head items that aren't available early on).

MonthOLDpickle.4360

How do I get these items? I am being flooded with booster packs lol!!!

I'm not looking for a comparison between settings and fps.
More like utilizing different hardware and framerates we would get with it. Mostly, because I don't think it's normal (or even considered "optimized") to have a game run like this (30-40fps) on a overclocked ivy i5 with a 760/7950 or even 780 GPUs. :)

I'm dying to know what PCs run the game at Anet's office/studio and what they consider a playable framerate.

Plus, I can dig out a video interview with Colin(or at least I think it was him) in 2010 or 2011, who was saying that they are working on/testing the game on old PCs with video cards that (at the time) are old and cannot be found on the market, with the idea of having an optimized game.
I haven't released they were using GTX760/HD7950 4 years ago. :D
I don't think there are many MMOs out there that have as many simultaneous players with this level of graphics. The other contemporary example I can think of is Planetside 2. In that game's zergs you cannot hit 60 fps with high/ultra settings, especially with stock CPU clocks. Same applies here.

I think it's normal to be at 30 fps in zergs. Optimized? No way. But normal? Yes. If you're getting a solid 60 fps in solo/small-group PvE, then I think Anet's met their original goal. That would've been stupid of them to proclaim 60 fps in zergs.

Edit: I wouldn't be surprised if Anet's PCs are playing this game at 720p, 30fps, medium settings. They seem like pretty chill people who don't go for broke with graphic fidelity.

Edit2: Kos with a stock 2500K. Tsk tsk, revoke his officer label.

Retro

I didn't know that stormbluff isle was a place in the game until last night!

The Order of Secrets hangs out there, which makes it like GAF; all the best information in one place, and almost everyone spends a lot of time in a dark, cave-like environment.

Trey

Went to check out some BL weapon skins as I got a lucky claim ticket a while ago and decided to get one of the Lovely Weapons™ (mostly because all the other skins cost more than one ticket).
Now I see I could sell it for ~55G on the TP or give my Guardian a Lovely Sword™.

Hmmmmmmmm.

If you're going to sell, hold on to it until the cost for the weapons goes up in black lion ticket price. You'll triple your returns.

Ashodin

The Order of Secrets hangs out there, which makes it like GAF; all the best information in one place, and almost everyone spends a lot of time in a dark, cave-like environment.

Q71qUVZ.gif

Zeroth

Seems fitting the best guild and the best order share the same place.

Sorry Vigil and Priory plebs.

markot

Banned
No one does marionette any more and I still haven't beaten it...

Pretty badly designed content. 100+ people fail cause 2 can't play?

Having read the statements about design intent for Marionette, the rumors (I guess?) about wanting to get players away from Zerker, and only having done Marionette a few times... it seems a bit counter-intuitive.

The biggest keys to beating it appear to be group coordination and situational awareness but it's still quite possible for groups to simply lack the DPS (for whatever reason) to clear the platforms in time. I mean, I'm sure the most common reason for a platform to fail is getting instagibbed and not revived but even in the bare handful of times I've done it I've seen groups simply fail to dps down their boss in time. Perhaps the generator things on the platforms should've had a bit less health (since the actual "difficult" part is the boss itself) or maybe the bosses a bit more health and no generator thing at all? I mean correct me if I'm wrong but those generators take damage like most inanimate objects right? As in you can't use conditions on them?

I'm not suggesting they're too hard to kill but that it's an added time sink in a dps race that isn't very necessary, lends to raw physical dps builds, and the removal of which would've been a bit more forgiving for undergeared or sub-optimal built characters.

Am I crazy for thinking this way?

docbon

Having read the statements about design intent for Marionette, the rumors (I guess?) about wanting to get players away from Zerker, and only having done Marionette a few times... it seems a bit counter-intuitive.

The biggest keys to beating it appear to be group coordination and situational awareness but it's still quite possible for groups to simply lack the DPS (for whatever reason) to clear the platforms in time. I mean, I'm sure the most common reason for a platform to fail is getting instagibbed and not revived but even in the bare handful of times I've done it I've seen groups simply fail to dps down their boss in time. Perhaps the generator things on the platforms should've had a bit less health (since the actual "difficult" part is the boss itself) or maybe the bosses a bit more health and no generator thing at all? I mean correct me if I'm wrong but those generators take damage like most inanimate objects right? As in you can't use conditions on them?

I'm not suggesting they're too hard to kill but that it's an added time sink in a dps race that isn't very necessary, lends to raw physical dps builds, and the removal of which would've been a bit more forgiving for undergeared or sub-optimal built characters.

I honestly feel like a lack of DPS is a fault of the group's skill level, and weapon choice, rather than stat distribution on their gear. I've only done Mario on my survival oriented midline wvwvw necro build (soldier's armor, berserker weapons, mix of cavalier and soldier trinkets) and I've never felt like I wasn't able to put a dent in the boss during any of the phases.

The biggest issue has been, and continues to be, people going down, and forcing one or two others to sacrifice their damage to res. The most irritating part is that it sometimes isn't their fault, as players can be killed during the load screen after they teleport.

Ashodin

Condition damage has been said to do better than raw DPS because of the small groups and how the conditions for dealing damage are open (behind, only when bombs hit, etc).

I honestly feel like a lack of DPS is a fault of the group's skill level, and weapon choice, rather than stat distribution on their gear. I've only done Mario on my survival oriented midline wvwvw necro build (soldier's armor, berserker weapons, mix of cavalier and soldier trinkets) and I've never felt like I wasn't able to put a dent in the boss during any of the phases.

The biggest issue has been, and continues to be, people going down, and forcing one or two others to sacrifice their damage to res. The most irritating part is that it sometimes isn't their fault, as players can be killed during the load screen after they teleport.

I don't doubt that actually. Going down on the platform definitely seems like the primary cause of a failure. But my question is about whether or not a slight tweak to the actual generator or whatever would be warranted to make the fight slightly more forgiving to those players that are supposed to be targeted for teaching in this encounter.

Condition damage has been said to do better than raw DPS because of the small groups and how the conditions for dealing damage are open (behind, only when bombs hit, etc).

This is true with regards to the boss but what about the generator/electrical box/whatever thing that you have to destroy after you kill the boss itself?

The entire encounter is very tightly tuned. So what I'm discussing is what would be a relatively minor tweak that could present a little more leeway given that each lanes platform fights are a dps race.

To give you an example, there was an attempt that I was apart of late Tuesday night. I think it was probably around 11pm est? Anyhow, the lanes were doing a great job keeping the leaks to a minimum but most of the lanes ended up failing on the platform. One such lane fail was on Lane 5's attempt... 4 of the 5 platforms cleared with time to spare but that last platform, for whatever reason (and the reason doesn't matter) was slow on their DPS on the boss. However they did kill him before the timer was up.. but didn't have enough time left on the clock (it was probably something in the neighborhood of 4-7 seconds) to DPS down the generator part.

Now.. when lane 5 was activated, we were @ 2/5 chains on the tracker and the bar was probably somewhere in the neighborhood of 60-70% filled. Even if we HAD successfully cleared all platforms.. 3/5 with the bar that high would still have the odds stacked against us.. but we would've had a fighting chance. So my thought is.. given how tightly the encounter is tuned currently.. even just a slight tweak to the platform section of the encounter could provide a little more breathing room for sub-optimally geared or specc'd.

Now don't get me wrong.. I'm far from a DPS monster myself. But I know my class well enough to know how to get a bit more burst when I need it and I know how to utilize fields (both my own and others) to increase efficiency. However if the fight was intended to nudge some of the lesser informed players in the direction of being more informed.. I feel it's just a smidge off in that regard and I feel like it's the timed nature of the encounter that causes that. I mean, it's one thing to have a hard encounter. It's another to have a hard encounter that doesn't give you much time to make decisions, recognize mistakes, and learn while you're in it. At least not if you're not the type of player who's already familiar with those kinds of situations in MMO's.

A great example of a fight that allows players to learn and adapt without being pressured to perform perfectly was the Molten Alliance twins. If you made mistakes at a key moment, it was easy to wipe. However one or two guys going down didn't mean auto-fail. Hell, if you had the right classes, were specc'd the right way, and you knew what you were doing.. the group could come back from as far down as 4 dead by playing tactically and getting people up when they opportunity arose.

I have an older gen, Nvidia 470. I notice that the stable framerate when running around in EOTM is higher than it is in regular WvW, some zones. But it dips pretty hard when certain spell effects are going on. Smoke, fire, water, those types of things. Explosions.

The prices of the 290 is really great. what scares me away is the crazy noise and high temperatures. goddamit.

I don't think gearing really factors into the fight much, given they placed it in a lv 35 zone. I doubt they are thinking about players wearing anything more then lv 35 greens to clear it.

It's more a factor of knowing your class, how to deal the most damage with it, and knowing the fights. Most of the time when I see a group fail, it's due to ether everyone dying and no one rezzing, or more plainly, just not knowing the fight and ignoring directions.

A lot of players have sleepwalked though the game in mass zergs/champion trains, and no have no real idea on how to actually play. As Anet said, there are people in the game who never set a single utility skill, used a skill point, or even assigned points to their builds. They never had to before.

The hardest part about Marionette is the timer on the platforms. You really need nearly everyone alive and doing the right thing to finish it and have enough time to destroy the generator itself.

If they added another minute there would be a lot more leeway for things going wrong, especially if 4 of 5 clear it easy and the last group is really struggling.

Had a Marionette run on overflow last night, where every Warden was killed with almost a minute left on the clock for each.

It was some kind of super-overflow.

I don't think gearing really factors into the fight much, given they placed it in a lv 35 zone. I doubt they are thinking about players wearing anything more then lv 35 greens to clear it.

It's more a factor of knowing your class, how to deal the most damage with it, and knowing the fights. Most of the time when I see a group fail, it's due to ether everyone dying and no one rezzing, or more plainly, just not knowing the fight and ignoring directions.

A lot of players have sleepwalked though the game in mass zergs/champion trains, and no have no real idea on how to actually play. As Anet said, there are people in the game who never set a single utility skill, used a skill point, or even assigned points to their builds. They never had to before.

If I remember correctly the bold isn't exactly how it works. Gear level and quality works relative to your level when scaling is involved. So regardless of the zone lvl, you still need decent gear at your characters level. i.e. a lvl 80 wearing lvl 75 blues will be less effective than a lvl 35 wearing lvl 35 greens or yellows when downscaled. This has to do with the way they handle character downscaling in order to make lower zones still somewhat challenging. A downscaled player will have lower base stats than a non-downscaled player at the same level. This is to make up for the gear the downscaled player should be wearing, which affords him greater stats. So being properly geared actually makes more of a difference when downscaled than when not.

Aside from that though, the type of player who is used to steamrolling through everything without regard is the type of player they were hoping to.. influence into learning more through this encounter. And making it harder is definitely the way to do that. What I'm suggesting is really an incredibly tiny tweak to the area of the fight that has the least potential to teach. Hitting an inanimate object that doesn't hit back. That mechanic was put in place specifically to pad the time sink and I think it should probably be tweaked ever so slightly down.

The hardest part about Marionette is the timer on the platforms. You really need nearly everyone alive and doing the right thing to finish it and have enough time to destroy the generator itself.

If they added another minute there would be a lot more leeway for things going wrong, especially if 4 of 5 clear it easy and the last group is really struggling.

Exactly. Though I wouldn't suggest another minute. I was thinking that if a random party of lvl 80's in full ascended/exotic kill the Generator in an avg of 9-10 seconds.. perhaps adjust the health of the generator to bring that avg down to say.. 4-5 seconds? The numbers I'm using are just an example as I have no idea what the actual time is but my point is that adjusting the generator health would probably be the one tweak that could give more breathing room without lowering the difficulty level for the individual player.

People would still fail often. Especially those who haven't taken the time to learn their characters depth. However it could be just enough to provide the opportunity for groups to rally and bring more hope to an overall encounter that's going badly.

If I remember correctly the bold isn't exactly how it works. Gear level and quality works relative to your level when scaling is involved. So regardless of the zone lvl, you still need decent gear at your characters level. i.e. a lvl 80 wearing lvl 75 blues will be less effective than a lvl 35 wearing lvl 35 greens or yellows when downscaled. This has to do with the way they handle character downscaling in order to make lower zones still somewhat challenging. A downscaled player will have lower base stats than a non-downscaled player at the same level. This is to make up for the gear the downscaled player should be wearing, which affords him greater stats. So being properly geared actually makes more of a difference when downscaled than when not.

Aside from that though, the type of player who is used to steamrolling through everything without regard is the type of player they were hoping to.. influence into learning more through this encounter. And making it harder is definitely the way to do that. What I'm suggesting is really an incredibly tiny tweak to the area of the fight that has the least potential to teach. Hitting an inanimate object that doesn't hit back. That mechanic was put in place specifically to pad the time sink and I think it should probably be tweaked ever so slightly down.

Exactly. Though I wouldn't suggest another minute. I was thinking that if a random party of lvl 80's in full ascended/exotic kill the Generator in an avg of 9-10 seconds.. perhaps adjust the health of the generator to bring that avg down to say.. 4-5 seconds? The numbers I'm using are just an example as I have no idea what the actual time is but my point is that adjusting the generator health would probably be the one tweak that could give more breathing room without lowering the difficulty level for the individual player.

People would still fail often. Especially those who haven't taken the time to learn their characters depth. However it could be just enough to provide the opportunity for groups to rally and bring more hope to an overall encounter that's going badly.

I was referring to them placing it in a zone of 20-40s., with the intent that a person of about that range could actually do the event. If they wanted it to be reserved for lv 80s gear wise, they would have just put it in a lv 80 zone.

Seems fitting the best guild and the best order share the same place.

Sorry Vigil and Priory plebs.
Order must be so secretive that no one can get its name right. Or no one cares.

Vigil FTW.

I was referring to them placing it in a zone of 20-40s., with the intent that a person of about that range could actually do the event. If they wanted it to be reserved for lv 80s gear wise, they would have just put it in a lv 80 zone.

They want everyone to be able to take part in LS content. They don't put it in high level zones, not to make the content itself easier but so that lower levels can reasonably get to the content. It doesn't matter how low a zone it's in. They could put the content in a level 1-15 zone and a lvl 80 wearing lower level gear would still be at a disadvantage due to the nature of the scaling system.

So I'm afraid I don't understand what you mean. Can you elaborate?

They want everyone to be able to take part in LS content. They don't put it in high level zones, not to make the content itself easier but so that lower levels can reasonably get to the content. It doesn't matter how low a zone it's in. They could put the content in a level 1-15 zone and a lvl 80 wearing lower level gear would still be at a disadvantage due to the nature of the scaling system.

So I'm afraid I don't understand what you mean. Can you elaborate?

The placement of the zone indicating the required gear is all. Since it's a lv 40 zone, that means lv 25-40's could partake in the event, and thus, the event would be balanced to allow for fairly geared characters of that level range to complete it.

A lot of times when a failure happens, you see people rushing to blame gear, when really, I doubt it matters all that much compared to knowing the fights and how to play your class.

It will be easier if you are a lv 80 with full exotics that is level scaled down, but I don't think it's a requirement for the fight. Provided you follow directions, and aren't a complete tool, burning down the wardens seems to be rather easy. It could still be tweaked though.

swnny

I don't think there are many MMOs out there that have as many simultaneous players with this level of graphics. The other contemporary example I can think of is Planetside 2. In that game's zergs you cannot hit 60 fps with high/ultra settings, especially with stock CPU clocks. Same applies here.

I think it's normal to be at 30 fps in zergs. Optimized? No way. But normal? Yes. If you're getting a solid 60 fps in solo/small-group PvE, then I think Anet's met their original goal. That would've been stupid of them to proclaim 60 fps in zergs.

Edit: I wouldn't be surprised if Anet's PCs are playing this game at 720p, 30fps, medium settings. They seem like pretty chill people who don't go for broke with graphic fidelity.

Edit2: Kos with a stock 2500K. Tsk tsk, revoke his officer label.

Point is, that no matter what, the game just cannot utilize the hardware. Be it an old i3 or the latest haswell i7, it will always use like half it's processing power. (of course the i7 will have better frames, but still it wont be running with max usage)
It's like the game/engine is capped/"bottlenecked" to use no more then 50% of cpu and gpu, no mater what settings we use.

Also, I found a video from a year ago, of some guy on youtube trying out GW2 on both i5 3570k and FX 8350. It wasn't a good comparison at all (with different settings, and he had 4 of his FX cores parked), but he did showed the CPU usage, and for both CPUs it was just bad...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8_dh4b0jL8

What can be seen from the video above, a year later, can also be seen on all of our screens. (talking about cpu usage)

As for the Living Story theories, as much as I like the GW lore, I can't really theorize how the the current story arc will end. But I did noticed few things, that I haven't see people using in their speculations.
On Scarlet's console there is a close shot of ascalonian-desert border, and 3 energy probes marked just next to the the Kralkatorrik's domain(former Glint's Lair) in Crystal Desert. I don't recall any energy probes that are so close to a Elder Dragon. Not in Maguuma(at least not too far to the west), not in the Far Shiverpeak, but there are 3 in the Crystal Desert... kinda suspicious. :)
Also, again on her console, the Endless Ocean's waters are painted in dark, which looks like a lava or magma to me...

Ashodin

Ruby just tweeted:

Have you checked the "Promotions" tab in the Black Lion Trading Company today? We're pretty sure you'll like what you find. ;)

Edit: Free Experience Booster and Revive Orb (1 each). One time buy. Get 'em while they're hot!

Point is, that no matter what, the game just cannot utilize the hardware. Be it an old i3 or the latest haswell i7, it will always use like half it's processing power. (of course the i7 will have better frames, but still it wont be running with max usage)
It's like the game/engine is capped/"bottlenecked" to use no more then 50% of cpu and gpu, no mater what settings we use.

What can be seen from the video above, a year later, can also be seen on all of our screens. (talking about cpu usage)
On the previous page both Kos' and my screencaps on CPU usage in LA show >70% CPU usage on all four cores since the Tuesday patch. Still not optimal, but much better than the "maximize 2 cores, ignore the other 2" CPU net usage of 50% prior to patch.

And my GPU has never been capped at 50%. Even prior to patch I was seeing >90% GPU load in LA. My screencap shows 80%. Still room for improvement, but better than 50%.

swnny

On the previous page both Kos' and my screencaps on CPU usage in LA show >70% CPU usage on all four cores since the Tuesday patch. Still not optimal, but much better than the "maximize 2 cores, ignore the other 2" CPU net usage of 50% prior to patch.

And my GPU has never been capped at 50%. Even prior to patch I was seeing >90% GPU load in LA. My screencap shows 80%. Still room for improvement, but better than 50%.

Was the CPU usage changed like that for you only after the recent patch?

Also point taken on GPU... We were talking about how resolution and render sampling affect gpu usage the most, and then I'm entering a derp mode saying "use no more then 50% and gpu, no mater what settings we use." :D

Updated my previous post with some Living Story things.

Retro

Twitter said:
John Ryan
Just watched the trailer for the next #Guildwars2 Living Story release. I'm staggered. I know what's coming and all, but...hot damn.

I like these trailer previews instead of the full release page. Not only were people complaining about how small the updates were when things were intentionally held back as surprises, but it also put a laser-like focus on the features rather than the story.

Lunar15

What are the chances that by the end of the current arc, Lion's Arch is demolished and we're introduced to a new "central hub?"

It's slim chances (like, next to none), but it'd be pretty awesome. The personal story kind of hurts it.

Retro

What are the chances that by the end of the current arc, Lion's Arch is demolished and we're introduced to a new "central hub?"

It's slim chances (like, next to none), but it'd be pretty awesome. The personal story kind of hurts it.

I like Jira's idea; smash it, force players into the racial capitols, and create a new zone comprised of the D'Alessio Seaboard (that empty spot east of LA) and the ruins of Lion's Arch, which becomes an event-heavy PVE area where you try and retake the city. Eventually the effort adds up and we get Lion's Arch back in the distant future.

Shiokazu

you ask? i answer 100%

swnny

I like Jira's idea; smash it, force players into the racial capitols, and create a new zone comprised of the D'Alessio Seaboard (that empty spot east of LA) and the ruins of Lion's Arch, which becomes an event-heavy PVE area where you try and retake the city. Eventually the effort adds up and we get Lion's Arch back in the distant future.

Would love something like this. It will add a lot to these event chains, they were talking about back in 2010-2011. Exactly like that - lose a major city/outpost, fight to take it back and really shake the world a little.
Their last "Tyria will never be the same again" slogan (or was it "Tyria will change forever"?) ended up with a Karka destroying the lighthouse in LA. :D
Now with them using the same phrase again, I'm kinda skeptic how much this will change the world. But I sure do hope something big happens.

And I'm sure I'm not the only one who want's new explorable zones, like the Crystal Desert, Ring of Fire, Far Shiverpeak etc. But I don't see Anet adding such zones for at least another 6 months...

And speaking of 6 months, do we have a blog post of their plans for 2014, like they posted in the begging and in the middle of last year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom