• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ceres

Banned
One of my friends who I roped into coming back to the game after a long time away wants to take on the marionette tonight at 9 PM EST. Anyone wanna show him what winning feels like?

Don't try to show him on SBI main or there will be very little winning and a lot more whining.

Looks like ANET crumbled because of all the crying on Official Forums because they required people to be rank 30 before purchasing the Gift of Battle. February 18th they will be removing the rank requirement.

To me I thought it made sense, as far as Legendaries go, especially since they have become so common.

I guess rest of community did not like it.

Looks like ANET crumbled because of all the crying on Official Forums because they required people to be rank 30 before purchasing the Gift of Battle. February 18th they will be removing the rank requirement.

To me I thought it made sense, as far as Legendaries go, especially since they have become so common.

I guess rest of community did not like it.

Just to be clear – there was some confusion around the requirement and how it is messaged in-game, which is part of why it is being temporarily removed.

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/for...tle-rank-requirement-update/first#post3608812

Retro

I will be here for a while, as obviously there is no upcoming competition in the MMO genre. Except maybe EverQuest Next but that's a long ways out, like 2015 long.

I'd say late 2015, early 2016. I can see them spending extra time making sure it's perfect, so maybe Q1 or 2 in 2016, but before Summer 2016 for sure.

TESO will have respectable numbers at launch, but after the free months disappear its population will nosedive. MMO players don't want a half-baked TES experience, TES fans don't want a half-baked MMO. F2P in 6 months, shuttered before its second anniversary.

Wildstar will do better, but their target demographic doesn't exist in the numbers to sustain a subscription. F2P in the first year, respectable performance thereafter. It's an interesting looking game but everything I've heard about the gameplay makes me think this will be the last "WoW 2.0" attempt. I don't see it shutting down as quickly as TESO, but it will sort of exist in the background as a niche title, similar to Aion. If they're lucky they'll at least land in the same neighborhood as LotRO or Rift, but I don't see it happening.

Everything else isn't important enough to appear on radar.

Gonna start playing tonight. I'll roll a necromancer for no other reason than being IMHO a badass.
Any tips?

Post your character named or account name (username.####) and get into GAFGuild and get answers pumped directly into your brain.

Here's some beginners tips to get you started as well: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=70635131&postcount=325

Alas, my necromancer is still low level (mid 20s) so I don't have any useful, class-specific advice beyond that.

There are a lot of placeholder events and arenas. Polymog, for example, is represented and even referred to in several places. I really hope that someday they stat out the minis and add that to the game.

I do like the idea of having one big activity draw per city. Seems like that was in the cards originally, but not really being exploited.

People (coughkoscough) complained that there were too many activities, so they stopped making them. They improved accessibility with the activities NPC, but the cities have sort of lost their charm. DR was supposed to have target shooting and a bar brawl, I'd still like to see that happen. I also like the idea of having a single, unified "Activities currency" and a new set of exclusive themed-gear.

Who knows, maybe LA is getting blown up in a couple weeks and people will move to the other cities. Dibs on Rata Sum.

swnny

TESO will have respectable numbers at launch, but after the free months disappear its population will nosedive. MMO players don't want a half-baked TES experience, TES fans don't want a half-baked MMO. F2P in 6 months, shuttered before its second anniversary.

After spending a good time playing the TESO beta in their last 3 tests (including the one ongoing atm), this is exactly my prediction. This game is such a cash grab. All they want is to milk the TES fans and some deluded MMORPG players. Full priced garbage with monthly sub and a mistranslation shop?

The "megaserver" is more like a megacrap. They want to emulate the overflows from GW2, but they've missed key features like joining shards/instances/overflows where your friends and party members are. Ending with a every party member being in a different shard is completely retarded.

The player interaction is next to nonexistent. You don't see any names and have to right next to someone to interact with them via an "action wheel"... and if they run away you can't do nothing.

As for EverQuest Next, well that's is a game I'm looking forward to, maybe because it's a sort of a "gw2 clone".
Sorry for the offtopic.

Retro

After spending a good time playing the TESO beta in their last 3 tests (including the one ongoing atm), this is exactly my prediction. This game is such a cash grab.
. . .
As for EverQuest Next, well that's is a game I'm looking forward to, maybe because it's a sort of a "gw2 clone".
Sorry for the offtopic.

It's nothing to really apologize about, it's not like we're talking about stickers (love 'em), football (hate it) or anything. It's a MMO community discussing other MMOs.

I'm watching EQN too, or I will when we get something that resembles a game and not just a really pretty Minecraft. If they can pull it off, it'll be really impressive... but I have low expectations of SOE doing so.

TESO doesn't even qualify as hot garbage, more like reheated garbage somebody left in the microwave until it got cold again.

Ha

Ha Ha.

Good one.

Never underestimate how far business cycles lag behind trends...

I wish I could stop seeing "WoW" on marketing plans.

I dunno, I feel like Wildstar is so obviously trying to capitalize on WoW's look and playstyle that after this, there won't be anything left to try and cannibalize. Rift tried very hard to be WoW 2.0, and despite a great launch (smoothest I'd seen to that point) and some interesting (if undercooked) ideas, it was still very much trying to be WoW.

I dunno, I think people will try to match their success, but TESO and Wildstar are going to make it very clear what we already know: you cannot just regurgitate WoW in a post-Guild Wars 2 world. All of the previews I read for those games end up pointing out how GW2 has made the same-old feel antiquated. The two-week update cycle, fast turnaround on major projects (culling, most notably), quality of life features, event-based questing and unobtrusive nature of the cash shop have raised the bar. That's why EQN seems to be cribbing pretty heavily from GW2.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I actually think I agree with Retro if I understand what he meant correctly. While WoW clones (yet another WoW 1.0) will probably keep getting churned out and probably be around forever, I can see the looming and possibly tragic failure of Wildstar to be the last gasp of the "quest for 2.0" or to be the "next WoW." an attempt to recreate its level of success merely by iterating on its formula. If anyone can do so at this point it's only Blizzard, and I'm not even sure they have my trust in being able to anymore.

Meanwhile I wouldn't be surprised if by the end of 2015 we've seen some signs of the first "GW2 clones," especially after the Asian market launches. However, of course, making a game of this sort will be missing the point of GW2's success entirely.

I do have some high hopes for EverQuest Next, but I do not think it qualifies as a "gw2 clone" by any stretch of the imagination- both because I think anyone playing it with that in mind might be very disappointed in the way the games differ, and also because it's selling some of the unique things it may offer the genre short. The games have very different design philosophies all stemming from EQN being a sandbox.

Retro

I actually think I agree with Retro if I understand what he meant correctly. While WoW clones (yet another WoW 1.0) will probably keep getting churned out and probably be around forever, I can see the looming and possibly tragic failure of Wildstar to be the last gasp of the "quest for 2.0" or to be the "next WoW." an attempt to recreate its level of success merely by iterating on its formula.

Yep, pretty much what I was getting at; using WoW as a base and building 'something' on top of it. That just doesn't work.

swnny

I do have some high hopes for EverQuest Next, but I do not think it qualifies as a "gw2 clone" by any stretch of the imagination- both because I think anyone playing it with that in mind might be very disappointed in the way the games differ, and also because it's selling some of the unique things it may offer the genre short. The games have very different design philosophies all stemming from EQN being a sandbox.

Again with my bad wording. ^^ I'm not saying EQN what to be exactly like GW2, but in a way, what Retro said "cribbing pretty heavily from GW2."
From the sound and look of things, EverQuest Next will have a very similar combat to what GW2 offers, with target-less spells, swappable weapones (don't quote me on that), combo fields/finishers, etc. Also the dynamic, sandbox world sounds exactly to what Anet was promoting the dynamic events to be...
It won't be pure "clone", but it will share lots of similarities to GW2.

Ashodin

Offtopic: I really want to see what storybricks (next gen AI) does in an MMO.

Ontopic: I'm close to having everything except Dawn.

Lunar15

Yep, pretty much what I was getting at; using WoW as a base and building 'something' on top of it. That just doesn't work.

Get ready to keep seeing it pop up for a few more years, though. Just sayin.

I'm sure there's a few more big IP's that have had a WoW clone stewing for a few years, if you know what I mean.

Actually Retro, Wildstar will probably survive well enough (though with a relatively low pop) because it's using a system very similar to GW2's Gems but applying it in a manner similar to E.V.E. where people buy "C.R.E.D.D." for real cash, then sell that to other players for in-game gold. The buyers then use the C.R.E.D.D. they bought to pay for their subscription.

Such a system will allow the hardcore constantly-raiding-dungeon-running-grinding-dailys types to pay for their subs without spending cash.

I'm also interested in seeing what EQN can do with their systems.. but really I just want to do this in-game
tumblr_mbhk7sMszD1rejsa3o5_250.gif

heh.

Also.. got my cores for Scarlet's Lair this afternoon. Now I just gotta grind out those Mary attempts to get the fragments to get the pages to input the code in the console... even though I already did the investigation. Wacky out of order LS for the win!

Proven

Gonna start playing tonight. I'll roll a necromancer for no other reason than being IMHO a badass.
Any tips?

Almost every class has a minimum of three playstyle types: direct damage, conditions, and "other". Most weapons in the game are focused on at least one of those playstyles.

Basically, they should start you off as a Necromancer with a Scepter. If you find yourself not liking that, try a Dagger or Axe. When you get to level 7, find a Staff, as it can support all styles as a fallback defensive option if you enjoy it. Explore your skills from there, and don't forget to mix and match off-hand weaponry.

Retro

Get ready to keep seeing it pop up for a few more years, though. Just sayin.

I'm sure there's a few more big IP's that have had a WoW clone stewing for a few years, if you know what I mean.

Right, but those are all WoW clones. I'm talking about the end of "WoW 2.0" where developers take WoW as the core of their gameplay and try to tweak it, add things to it, and generally push it out as a new game when it's 90% the same old. SWTOR was a WoW 2.0 where the focus was story. Rift was WoW 2.0 with rifts and invasions.

We'll see less trinity, less static questing, less skill bloat, etc. except in games where they are unapologetically just trying to copy World of Warcraft.

I dunno if I'm making sense, but basically the days of trying to copy WoW and then add extra ideas and concepts to pretend they're not are over, and we'll see unabashed clones without the pretense or new approaches (ala GW2). Developers have slowly started to realize they can't just do WoW + <thing>.

Actually Retro, Wildstar will probably survive well enough (though with a relatively low pop) because it's using a system very similar to GW2's Gems but applying it in a manner similar to E.V.E. where people buy "C.R.E.D.D." for real cash, then sell that to other players for in-game gold. The buyers then use the C.R.E.D.D. they bought to pay for their subscription.

Such a system will allow the hardcore constantly-raiding-dungeon-running-grinding-dailys types to pay for their subs without spending cash.

The problem with this is, the hardcore constantly-raiding-dungeon-running-grinding-dailys types don't exist in sizable enough numbers to sustain the game. The entire pretense of Wildstar is that a large group of people basically want Vanilla / TBC WoW-style raiding, when that audience is now 8-10 years older with a different set of responsibilities and limits on their playtime. And there isn't a group of younger players with the same demands, as the modern-day equivalent to WoW raiders are knee deep in games like DotA and LoL, not MMOs.

I stand by my original statement; F2P in under a year, but it will carry on in the background of "MMOs people still play?" It's population will be lower than LotRO after the launch bubble bursts, but higher than or equal to Rift. WoW and GW2 expansions will likely pull it's numbers down, EQN will do so significantly, but I don't think it will drop to, say, Aion levels. I feel like it'd settle firmly at TERA-levels.

It's play-style is also counter to the way Asian markets are going, so its ability to spread to overseas markets is severely limited as well. I don't think it will bomb outright, certainly not in the way Tabula Rasa did or TESO will.

My gross roommate skipped two weeks of classes to play the beta. Utterly embarrassing.

Fuck. As someone who was blown away by the tuition costs for your school way back in the late 90s, I can't fucking imagine blowing off two weeks of classes with what it must run now. Everything I've ever heard about it made it sound like a pretty intense program, just skipping like that is just... fuuuuuuck.

I just want to say, that it's hilariously awesome and yet sad at how we can talk about specific population levels simply by referring to MMO's by name.

Retro

I just want to say, that it's hilariously awesome and yet sad at how we can talk about specific population levels simply by referring to MMO's by name.

It's not an exact science, but in general you can sort MMOs into rough ranks. I wouldn't even try to put them into a list, honestly. It's just that you can say "Oh, it'll do as well as Aion" and people know what kind of launch, collapse and eventual settling to expect from the game's population.

Jira

I actually think I agree with Retro if I understand what he meant correctly. While WoW clones (yet another WoW 1.0) will probably keep getting churned out and probably be around forever, I can see the looming and possibly tragic failure of Wildstar to be the last gasp of the "quest for 2.0" or to be the "next WoW." an attempt to recreate its level of success merely by iterating on its formula. If anyone can do so at this point it's only Blizzard, and I'm not even sure they have my trust in being able to anymore.

Meanwhile I wouldn't be surprised if by the end of 2015 we've seen some signs of the first "GW2 clones," especially after the Asian market launches. However, of course, making a game of this sort will be missing the point of GW2's success entirely.

Bingo. The reason for GW2's success has been that it isn't like every other MMO and is insanely polished and feels really good to play.

And Lunar...it saddens me to see that there's still unannounced MMOs trying to ape WoW when not one has succeeded in doing so. God how long will this crap go on? I'm not even saying I want people to ape GW2 or anything (though some features are mandatory IMO), but we really need dev teams to all try something different. In all honesty EQN is the only MMO coming in the next ~2 years that has any promise.

Ashodin

Bingo. The reason for GW2's success has been that it isn't like every other MMO and is insanely polished and feels really good to play.

And Lunar...it saddens me to see that there's still unannounced MMOs trying to ape WoW when not one has succeeded in doing so. God how long will this crap go on? I'm not even saying I want people to ape GW2 or anything (though some features are mandatory IMO), but we really need dev teams to all try something different. In all honesty EQN is the only MMO coming in the next ~2 years that has any promise.

WHAT is this avatar!??!

Ashodin

Okay, what now?

Storybricks. It's this AI that will supposedly let you make friends with NPCs who will remember what you did to help them, or harm them.

Say you help a farmer with his farm. Later on, he will reward you with some food from his farm. Then say his farm gets attacked again and he doesn't get helped by you. He'll remember you didn't come to his aid, and subsequently hate you or not give you any food any more.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Giving it til tuesday or so to try to work out my PC issues or settle on abandoning it for a new one. If it's the latter I may wind up going pretty all-out.

Hzoltan69

I need some tips when and where to go for winning a Marionette fight. I really want to win at least once before the content is removed...

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I'm sorta confused on what to do with Marionette. So we just defend or there's some other task to be done?

jersoc

Got a sick new mechanical keyboard today! It has grippy WASD. :D

too bad you obviously not using it right. ESDF is superior, more hotkeys. plus it's youre natural resting position, assuming you aren't ruining that as well.

fucking FPS ruined this. WASD shouldn't be standard anymore.

but yeah, mech keyboards are awesome. welcome to hitting 2 keys at once at the wrong times.

too bad you obviously not using it right. ESDF is superior, more hotkeys. plus it's youre natural resting position, assuming you aren't ruining that as well.

but yeah, mech keyboards are awesome. welcome to hitting 2 keys at once at the wrong times.

Your giving me a brain tumor!! As someone who is a creature of habit: WASD for life brother!!

swnny

Gonna bring the cpu/gpu optimization topic from the other day, with 2 screenshots from friends, as I promised.

First one is a i5 3570k @ 4.5GHz and a HD 7950

The second one is with a Xeon 1230 v3 and a GTX770

Except for the resolution on the second PC, every graphic option is the same as the ones I used in my previous post.
As you can see, in all cases, no matter what specs we have, 35-40fps is like a cap for the Mystic Plaza in LA... Sure there are lot's of players, but things only get worse in fights with that much (or even more) people.

Incorrect.

This is superior to ESDF and WSAD combined:

razer-nostromo-gallery-1.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom